Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Batman 4-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
21 hrs ago
Bourne: The Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
15 hrs ago
Candyman 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
19 hrs ago
The Shawshank Redemption 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
1 hr ago
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
1 day ago
Edge of Tomorrow 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
1 day ago
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
12 hrs ago
Zack Snyder's Justice League 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
16 hrs ago
No Time to Die 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
1 day ago
Copshop (Blu-ray)
$7.99
59 min ago
Halloween Kills 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
1 day ago
The Bourne Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$16.99
20 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Feedback Forum

Old 10-30-2021, 02:42 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
U.S.
Default Rules for cover/packaging image censoring

Iíve looked around here, but havenít found any rules about what Cover or Packaging images are allowed.

Thereís a new release for The Brown Bunny BD and the cover image shows a sex act. The image was shared in the discussion thread for the release, but moderators immediately deleted it. If we censor the image ourself, can we then upload the Cover on the release page?

Iíve seen other release Covers on the site that are not censored and contain full nudity, so I donít understand where the line is drawn here. Please advise.
Thanks given by:
knuffeltje (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 12:08 AM   #2

Jun 2020
-
-
-

If anything is going to be censored, I'd prefer it be blurred server-side, rather than users manually editing the images in mspaint before uploading. Ideally you could turn censorship on or off in your preferences.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:47 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuffeltje View Post
If anything is going to be censored, I'd prefer it be blurred server-side, rather than users manually editing the images in mspaint before uploading. Ideally you could turn censorship on or off in your preferences.
I certainly love that, but thereís no infrastructure here for that yet, is there?
Old 10-31-2021, 05:07 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
U.S.

I appreciate any discussion on this, but ultimately I’m looking for an answer from admins/moderators so I can proceed.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
U.S.

It’s been a week with no answer. Should I be asking this somewhere else?
Old 11-08-2021, 09:26 AM   #6
Developer

May 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoffman View Post
Iíve looked around here, but havenít found any rules about what Cover or Packaging images are allowed.

Thereís a new release for The Brown Bunny BD and the cover image shows a sex act. The image was shared in the discussion thread for the release, but moderators immediately deleted it. If we censor the image ourself, can we then upload the Cover on the release page?

Iíve seen other release Covers on the site that are not censored and contain full nudity, so I donít understand where the line is drawn here. Please advise.
I haven't seen the exact cover, but if it's the slightly blurred cover where you can't actually see anything explicit, then it's fine.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
I haven't seen the exact cover, but if it's the slightly blurred cover where you can't actually see anything explicit, then it's fine.
It was just newly released in a limited edition of 250 and with a new cover. I don't think it's even a shot from the film, but it is a closeup of oral sex and not blurred. There's a review at DVD Beaver and includes the NSFW cover image, conveniently hidden so that you have to cursor over it to view.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev...rown_bunny.htm

So a few questions:

1. Can this cover be shared on the site?

2. If we upload an explicit image to the release page, will an admin/moderator censor the image or should we be censoring it ourselves before uploading?

3. Where on the site are the rules about what images are not acceptable? And if no rules are public, what is the criteria for explicit or graphic images on the site and in the forum?

4. When an admin/moderator deletes an image that a forum member posts, since there's no signature or way to contact them to follow up, why don't they simply post the reason for its removal? Many forum member walk around on eggshells because no one wants to be suspended or banned for breaking a "rule", but if no rules are presented and no further information provided, what's to prevent it from continuing to happen?

I scrolled through some BD release images on the site to attempt to understand what's allowed, but it only made it less clear to me.

Nudity, including full frontal:
[Show spoiler]

Example of censoring nudity (nipples covered with MS Paint?), while still being explicit:
[Show spoiler]
Thanks given by:
knuffeltje (11-16-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 02:40 PM   #8
Developer

May 2003

Well, the background is that we never planned to have adult movies (or borderline) on the site, but some classic movies have that property and members added some of those to have in their collections so the inofficial rule was that if Amazon carries it, then we can have it as well.

The difference in this case is that it explicitly displays a sexual act, which has never been the case in the past. Even the Tabu cover is mostly suggestive.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:56 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
U.S.

Quote:
Well, the background is that we never planned to have adult movies (or borderline) on the site, but some classic movies have that property and members added some of those to have in their collections so the inofficial rule was that if Amazon carries it, then we can have it as well.

The difference in this case is that it explicitly displays a sexual act, which has never been the case in the past. Even the Tabu cover is mostly suggestive.
That's some helpful history for sure, but re-reading my 4 questions, none of them are completely answered yet.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:53 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

I'd like to see those answered as well. I submitted a few covers for DVD releases from Adult Source Media a while back, and they were rejected. I've since been hesitant to upload certain covers containing nudity, so many of the entries have no covers submitted at all.

I've also been hesitant to upload the back covers of some stuff released by Kitty Media. Like would the following be fine to upload? Back covers from Adult Empire (sister site of DVD Empire) are NSFWish despite no visible genitalia.

https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/Lover-in-Law-DVD/187017/
https://imgs1cdn.adultempire.com/pro.../1456015bh.jpg

https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/Shusaku-...ch-DVD/235588/
https://imgs1cdn.adultempire.com/pro.../1494422bh.jpg

https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/el-DVD/231717/
https://imgs1cdn.adultempire.com/pro.../1494425bh.jpg

https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/Booby-Life-DVD/228773/
https://imgs1cdn.adultempire.com/pro.../1458960bh.jpg

https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/Mother-K...st-DVD/244959/
https://imgs1cdn.adultempire.com/pro.../1430715bh.jpg

https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/Consenti...ry-DVD/244960/
https://imgs1cdn.adultempire.com/pro.../1377409bh.jpg
Thanks given by:
jkoffman (11-16-2021), knuffeltje (11-16-2021), Videovore (11-16-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 12:52 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
U.S.

It's been over 2 weeks since I posted this, so I'm assuming it's just not a high priority question, but will still get answered.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:12 PM   #12

Jun 2009
USPS Home Office

Quote:
It's been over 2 weeks since I posted this, so I'm assuming it's just not a high priority question, but will still get answered.
Mods are too preoccupied policing threads instead of answering an earnest question. Hope you get a response as I'm just as curious.
Thanks given by:
jkoffman (11-16-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
U.S.

Quote:

It's been over 3 weeks since I first posted. Can you at least tell me if these questions are still in the queue, or if I should be asking this elsewhere? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Waiting on this:
[Show spoiler]
Quote:
It was just newly released in a limited edition of 250 and with a new cover. I don't think it's even a shot from the film, but it is a closeup of oral sex and not blurred. There's a review at DVD Beaver and includes the NSFW cover image, conveniently hidden so that you have to cursor over it to view.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev...rown_bunny.htm

So a few questions:

1. Can this cover be shared on the site?

2. If we upload an explicit image to the release page, will an admin/moderator censor the image or should we be censoring it ourselves before uploading?

3. Where on the site are the rules about what images are not acceptable? And if no rules are public, what is the criteria for explicit or graphic images on the site and in the forum?

4. When an admin/moderator deletes an image that a forum member posts, since there's no signature or way to contact them to follow up, why don't they simply post the reason for its removal? Many forum member walk around on eggshells because no one wants to be suspended or banned for breaking a "rule", but if no rules are presented and no further information provided, what's to prevent it from continuing to happen?

I scrolled through some BD release images on the site to attempt to understand what's allowed, but it only made it less clear to me.

Nudity, including full frontal:
[Show spoiler]

Example of censoring nudity (nipples covered with MS Paint?), while still being explicit:
[Show spoiler]
Old 11-22-2021, 04:43 PM   #14
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

As far as I can tell covers that have nudity (or are adult titles) are blurred by the system, but if you click them they enlarge and become visible.

So whether adult content covers can be submitted I'm not sure, but I don't think there's any penalties for having them rejected.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:57 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
U.S.

They don't appear to be automatically blurred by the system. I shared various examples above that were not blurred and have existed on the site for years, but now I see they've been updated as you described, blurred, but revealed once you click on them. If that was a feature/policy already in place, I would have expected iceman to simply tell me that, but they did not. Maybe it's new, but that's a great solution. At any rate, I still have questions that should be answered.

Last edited by jkoffman; 11-22-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:07 PM   #16
Developer

May 2003

Sorry for the slow reply. We need to implement a system to blur the actual images (right now it's only html-blurred) before we can allow this cover. We plan on blurring all images except the large front cover when you explicitly click on it.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:45 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
U.S.

Quote:
Sorry for the slow reply. We need to implement a system to blur the actual images (right now it's only html-blurred) before we can allow this cover. We plan on blurring all images except the large front cover when you explicitly click on it.
Looks like you have blurred the other explicit covers since I shared them with you, but at this moment I still should not upload the Brown Bunny cover?

I broke down my questions and numbered them to make it easier for you answer, but I never got a response to this:

Old 12-05-2021, 03:12 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
U.S.

^^Bumping this again^^

It's been another week. Can any other admins/mods respond?
Old 12-18-2021, 01:32 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
U.S.

Bumping again. 7 weeks since OP, 3 weeks since last followup questions that are still unanswered.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Feedback Forum