Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Batman 4-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
23 hrs ago
Bourne: The Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
17 hrs ago
Candyman 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
21 hrs ago
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
1 day ago
The Shawshank Redemption 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
3 hrs ago
Zack Snyder's Justice League 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
18 hrs ago
No Time to Die 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
14 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
1 day ago
Old 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
1 hr ago
Halloween Kills 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
1 day ago
Wild Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Feedback Forum

Old 12-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #21
Developer

May 2003

Have you expanded the filter and checked "Exclude owned titles in my collection"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikero View Post
I played around with the Recommendations feature today and have one tiny gripe.

I can't exclude titles based on the common movie they share.

For example, if I own the UK edition of a movie, it'll still show the US edition. Also, if I own a movie in a collection (such as the X-Men Trilogy), it will still show the individual Blu-rays from that collection (such as X-Men, X-2, X-Men: The Last Stand).

Ideally, you wouldn't see movies already in your collection, no matter their region or whether you purchased them in a box set. This would greatly help the Recommendations feature to be more relevant for those of us who are creeping on 500+ Blu-rays.

Hope this suggestion helps! I know you have the data to do it as I've made submissions here before and I know that titles generally share a common underlying movie record. I'm not aware of the specifics of TV Seasons but I'd guess it's basically the same thing.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Have you expanded the filter and checked "Exclude owned titles in my collection"?
Yes I did, and it excluded owned titles (SKUs), but it didn't seem to exclude based on underlying movie (as in the example I provided above where I own the X-Men trilogy but it showed me the X-Men movies as individual titles). This is exactly why I made the suggestion, as it's not helpful to me to see X2, Toy Story 2, etc. when I already have them in box sets (If it helps, both of these box sets were purchased in the UK Region, so maybe region plays a role here too).
Old 12-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
U.S.A.

I've attached a screenshot of my results so you can see what I'm talking about. I'm not entirely upset about seeing 3D editions of movies I own (assuming I don't own the 3D version already), but seeing the regular 2D edition of a movie is a bit annoying when I already own it in a box set.

I also can't say I'd be upset at seeing alternate editions/packaging of a film I already own, if I checked that in the filter list (e.g. I own the DigiBook packaging, but there might be a swag or Steelbook version worth owning out there). That wouldn't be desirable default behavior, but like I say the option to select it in the filter list would be a really nice touch for finding obscure versions of films I enjoy.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg recHasOwnedTitles.jpg (106.4 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by Taikero; 12-03-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
U.S.A.

I looked down the list a bit further and it appears any SKU that has more than one title that I've purchased will show individual titles in the recommendation list, whether US or UK in origin. Seeing Dark Crystal and Labyrinth despite purchasing these two in a double pack, individual Pirates of the Caribbean movies despite purchasing the Quadrilogy as a single SKU, Kronk's New Groove despite it being part of the 2-movie collection (any Disney film with the 2-movie collection would be affected, such as Atlantis and Hunchback), Harry Potter films despite owning the 8-film collection, The Dark Knight despite owning the Dark Knight Trilogy, etc.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #25
Developer

May 2003

Ah sorry, I will fix this tomorrow so it excludes all titles and not just the exact SKU version and also that it checks inside bundles and exclude titles from them (I thought it did all this already).
Old 12-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
U.S.A.

Quote:
Ah sorry, I will fix this tomorrow so it excludes all titles and not just the exact SKU version and also that it checks inside bundles and exclude titles from them (I thought it did all this already).
Sounds like time to go check the history on source control to know who gets the beating.

Thanks for taking my suggestion seriously!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #27
Developer

May 2003

Quote:
Sounds like time to go check the history on source control to know who gets the beating.

Thanks for taking my suggestion seriously!
Found the problem, should be fixed
Old 12-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
U.S.A.

Quote:
Found the problem, should be fixed
I'm still seeing the discrepancy/issue on my end. Does it take some time to propagate or be visible to end users? Not sure how your rollout process works, so I'm speculating that it might just take some time.

Still seeing Toy Story and X-Men films here when I check the "exclude owned titles" checkbox.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:28 AM   #29
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007

Quote:
I'm still seeing the discrepancy/issue on my end. Does it take some time to propagate or be visible to end users? Not sure how your rollout process works, so I'm speculating that it might just take some time.

Still seeing Toy Story and X-Men films here when I check the "exclude owned titles" checkbox.
I got the same problem. I see the single sets for star wars, bond and other movies in my collection.

Jacob
Old 12-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #30
Developer

May 2003

Quote:

Sorry, I missed titles in bundles, how about now?
Old 12-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007

Quote:
it works great on page 1. but then goes back on page 2. were you only testing page 1?
when I go to page 2. it loses the memory of just movies and exclude movies from your collection and ratings.

Jacob
Old 12-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
U.S.A.

Quote:
On page 1, I still see a few titles I own. I saw Star Wars episodes one through six (I own both trilogy steelbooks from the UK). I also saw Mulan and Mulan II which I own in the 2-movie collection.

These seemed to be titles that had no release date, so that may be a clue as to why they're showing up (e.g. maybe they don't have an underlying movie assigned or there's something peculiar about their data that's causing them to appear).

Here are a few examples so you have something to go on for what's still showing up.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-...-Blu-ray/8697/
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mulan-II-Blu-ray/62175/
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-...-Blu-ray/7544/

Page 2 forgets the filters and follows a totally different layout (I believe the old list layout as I saw in another thread?). I can re-select the "exclude owned titles in my collection" checkbox, and it seems to work, but if I leave the page to a different page the selection is unchecked again.

Also, there is a significant defect that affects any page beyond the first: I can't use the new thumbnail layout outside of page 1. I am forced to use the old layout from page 2 onward.

In summary, three issues remain:
  1. I still see some titles I own that are part of multi-title SKUs if the title I see in the Recommendations feature has no release date.
  2. Page 2+ forgets "exclude owned titles in my collection" checkbox selection, may forget others too (double check!)
  3. Thumbnail layout only works on page 1 of Recommendations feature.

Last edited by Taikero; 12-06-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #33
Expert Member

Feb 2011

Looks like I'm getting some titles in my recommendations where I've checked the "Exclude from Collection Matcher/Recommendations" box.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #34
Expert Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
Looks like I'm getting some titles in my recommendations where I've checked the "Exclude from Collection Matcher/Recommendations" box.
Any way we can get this fixed?
Old 12-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #35
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
Any way we can get this fixed?
good question.

Jacob
Old 01-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
U.S.A.

Quote:
  1. I still see some titles I own that are part of multi-title SKUs if the title I see in the Recommendations feature has no release date.
  2. Page 2+ forgets "exclude owned titles in my collection" checkbox selection, may forget others too (double check!)
These defects still remain as of the date of this post. Is there any update on progress toward fixing these three defects?
Old 01-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #37
Expert Member

Feb 2011

"Exclude from Collection Matcher/Recommendations" doesn't work either. I still see several titles in my recommendations that shouldn't be there.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #38

Jan 2010
Austin, Texas, USA
Default Recommendations feature showing primarily titles I already own

Thirteen out of the top fifteen titles under my Recommendations are for titles I already own. Most of them are even showing the exact same release I already own, though there are a few where it's recommending a later reissue or similar. I'm not sure when this issue was introduced (I know it used to be OK), but it makes Recommendations particularly not helpful.

https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...ecommendations
Old 01-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #39
Developer

May 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmchorse View Post
Thirteen out of the top fifteen titles under my Recommendations are for titles I already own. Most of them are even showing the exact same release I already own, though there are a few where it's recommending a later reissue or similar. I'm not sure when this issue was introduced (I know it used to be OK), but it makes Recommendations particularly not helpful.

https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...ecommendations
You have to click on "Show more filters" and then check "exclude owned titles in my collection"
Old 02-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
U.S.A.

Quote:
Tested today and these issues still remain with the Recommendations feature. Thumbnail layout is still completely busted beyond page 1 and will reset to page 1 if turned on while viewing page 2+.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Feedback Forum