Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99
3 hrs ago
xXx: Return of Xander Cage 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.68
1 hr ago
Enchanted Kingdom 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.82

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.47

The Angry Birds Movie 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.64
7 hrs ago
War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The LEGO Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$27.99

A Haunting in Salem 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.95

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 07-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #21

Jan 2013

I agree. DVD still makes too much money to kill. 3D users are a similar demographic to 4K users. They could add DR to standard. Blu-ray, but that will never happen.
QUOTE=Rek84;13908280]Hi Damon, these are my thoughts on this topic:

They don't want to get rid of DVD because they believe that if the "dvd consumer" hasn't upgraded by now, it is possible they are not planning to do so for whatever reason. So, they keep the option around because if they don't, they will likely lose all those customers. And, as we all know, it probably costs them less than a dollar to include the DVD in their combo packs (of course, it would cost them only slightly more to include 3D discs as well). They are just not worried about the DVD users at this point, other than to keep them on board with the DVD format. DVD users are the "holdouts" that may not ever upgrade, so their focus is elsewhere...

The situation is different with 3D though...They WANT to eliminate 3D at home because they know that most people that are eager to purchase 3D blurays typically lean toward being more of a movie "enthusiast" than just the typical DVD consumer. These people have invested in 3D players, 3D televisions, and in some cases 3D projectors - so, they have some money to spare to spend for entertainment purposes.

If they remove the 3D option at home entirely, they are counting on most of those 3D blu ray consumers to invest heavily in 4K, "for the best picture quality." With 4K, they can make more money because they can convert pretty much ANY movie to 4K, slap HDR on it, and resell it to everyone yet again. Kind of like how they were doing with 3D when it first came out with the conversions of some older 2D movies. The difference is with 4K, they are going to convert and resell close to their entire catalog. They couldn't/wouldn't do this with 3D because some movies just won't work for the 3D format. I believe that this was the original plan with 3D though, to convert as many older catalog titles as possible and resell. When they figured out that was a bad idea, they began looking for another plan....bingo, here we are with 4K HDR. And, I'm sure a lot of those 4K HDR conversions are going to be awful.

If all those 3D customers are still clinging to their "favorite" format, chances are slim they will spend as much on 4K as what the industry wants. The only way their plan will work is if they "force" 3D out of the home market entirely - no TV's to play them on, no players to play them. So, if your current 3D equipment fails, you are screwed...and they will welcome you with open arms to the new 4K regime where you can re-purchase once again all the titles you already own.

Just my thoughts and observations [/QUOTE]
Old 07-30-2017, 10:54 PM   #22
Expert Member

Jan 2011
-
-
-

I don't understand why they don't release a 4K version of 3D. that way 3D would get extra resolution (which would benefit the experience, especially for passive 3D tech).
Thanks given by:
8traxrule (07-31-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 11:08 PM   #23

Jul 2017

I bought 2 2016 LG OLEDs and everyone says 3d is outstanding on them compared to watching 3d in a theater. THAT is why Hollywood wants to eliminate home 3d. No $7 popcorn or $6 Cokes. That's where the theater profits are.
Thanks given by:
2112rushfan (08-01-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 11:32 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui View Post
I don't understand why they don't release a 4K version of 3D. that way 3D would get extra resolution (which would benefit the experience, especially for passive 3D tech).
They still have to create the technology to film and project 4k 3D theatrically first which would have to be at 8K resolution levels.

Quote:
There is virtually no 4K 3D content in existence. The theatrical DCP spec is limited to 2K for 3D titles. That means anytime you see a movie in theaters in 3D, it's in 2K.
Quote:
Ang Lee ran into this problem with "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk" - he wanted the movie to be exhibited in 3D at 4K resolution at 120fps, and only two theaters in the country were able to do so, and only after the installation of highly specialized projectors which would be impractical for the industry as a whole to upgrade to in the foreseeable future.
HTF Post# 3940
Thanks given by:
Rui (07-31-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 11:40 PM   #25
Power Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada

It can supposedly be done, but not in many locations. I recall James Gunn saying in a tweet (or somewhere) that he'd even done an HDR/Dolby Vision grade of the 3-D version of Guardians of the Galalxy, but it was supposedly only ever seen in 2 or 3 locations.

I don't know that you'd need an 8K projector for 4K 3-D, though. Two 4K projectors could be used simultaneously, or a single 4K projector capable of enough fps to alternate quickly between left and right eye with an alternating polarization filter built-in (allowing the audience to wear passive, rather than active glasses).

Last edited by TM2-Megatron; 07-30-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (07-30-2017), Rui (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 02:44 AM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@Chicago View Post

This essentially screws over anyone who bought 3D movies in the last 10 years.
That's my concern,if and when I need a new BD player,the chances of it being 3D compatible is slim,I have thought of buying one now to hang on to,the 3D films I have bought are how I wish to watch those movies.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:21 AM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
That's my concern,if and when I need a new BD player,the chances of it being 3D compatible is slim,I have thought of buying one now to hang on to,the 3D films I have bought are how I wish to watch those movies.
The problem is less severe on the player side.

For example, I have several PS3s & PS4s that can play 3D.

So that's great.

On the other hand, I have exactly two 3D TVs.

One is an OLED and one is an LED. I worry about my 3D OLED alot.

Last edited by Frank@Chicago; 07-31-2017 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:30 AM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@Chicago View Post
The problem is less severe on the player side.

For example, I have several PS3s & PS4s that can play 3D.

So that's great.

On the other hand, I have exactly two 3D TVs.

One is an OLED and one is an LED. I worry about my 3D OLED alot.
True but as with any machine,it can and will give up at some stage,as I only have one at the moment,I'm not sure I'd like to wait four or five years of it working perfectly to then have to find a 3D player.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:47 AM   #29
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2011
USA
Arrow

Interesting and valid points, though I'm not a fan of the term "killing off 3D". Blu ray 3D becoming more selective in the US is a better term in my opinion.

First, 3D will always be part of the human experience, since most of us see in three dimensions every day with our eyes. And while the current line of TVs produced by TV Manufacturers (Not Hollywood) are heavily narrowing the focus to 4K in the hopes the mainstream is swayed (while dropping other features including 3D), blu ray 3Ds are still being produced, even if their availability is more tuned to the worldwide market, versus the smaller US home 3D market.

Bottom line is, 3D in theaters is going strong since 2009. The yearly slate of 3D films is impressive in number. 3D is now planned for films through 2020 and beyond, with Avatar 2, 3, 4, 5, Star Wars, Marvel films and more. 3D is not being killed off by Hollywood, that is for sure. Keep going to see 3D movies in theaters and they will keep offering them.

Also, TV Manufacturers rarely see any profit from blu ray 3D movies since they don't distribute them, unless as a package exclusive with their TV, as with Avatar 3D and Panasonic, so they don't care about 3D as much, if sales aren't constantly increasing as they would hope. Plus 3DTVs don't break down the second TV manufacturers stop producing new ones. They can last 10, 20+ years I imagine, as my old TVs have lasted (I had a Mitsubishi 100 pound TV that lasted for 30 years and was still going strong, never having had any repairs, when I gave it away).

The best we can do as 3D fans is express our enjoyment and support of 3D by continuing to see 3D theater movies, and buying new blu ray 3D releases in the US first when possible, and if not available, write in to the companies to request the release or express disappointment, or import it as a last resort.

Finally, James Cameron suggests that glasses free 3DTV could make a comeback in the future. Why consider his words? Because he's a huge fan of filmed 3D and believes it's the future of cinema, and Avatar 3D is to be thanked for our current run of 3DTV and blu ray 3Ds since 2010. Most 3D haters said 3D was dead in 2011. 3D is still going.

Being pessimistic won't solve anything, but continuing to support 3D in theaters and at home can. Request the return of 3D to the TV Manufacturers most of all.
Thanks given by:
Mister Showman (08-07-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 07:51 AM   #30
Special Member

Jul 2009

Theaters are trying to kill 3D too though- one new theater that opened near me isn't showing ANYTHING in 3D right now- they opened when Spider-Man came out and played it on 2 screens in shitty 2D with a whole TWO shows in 3D on a smaller screen the first week. Some theater managers have said that they get more people for the 2D showings, but that's likely because people don't want to pay the extra money for 3D. Why not drop the prices and see what happens then? Even IMAX has announced that they're going to be running more 2D showings. I've pretty much given up on theaters anyways, but this is just disgusting.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:59 AM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2017

Unfortunately physical media is having a tough enough time on it's own with streaming.
I don't think the masses care about 3D.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:03 AM   #32
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

I watch 3D 4K content om my 2016 Oled tv all the time. I just play a movie in 4K and hit "Cinema 3D " from the remote [emoji41]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2017, 10:52 AM   #33
Special Member

Jul 2009

That's fake 3D.
Thanks given by:
lgmayka (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 11:06 AM   #34
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2011
Dryland

Yes and it looks like crap compared to real 3D.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:02 PM   #35

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
Theaters are trying to kill 3D too though- one new theater that opened near me isn't showing ANYTHING in 3D right now- they opened when Spider-Man came out and played it on 2 screens in shitty 2D with a whole TWO shows in 3D on a smaller screen the first week. Some theater managers have said that they get more people for the 2D showings, but that's likely because people don't want to pay the extra money for 3D. Why not drop the prices and see what happens then? Even IMAX has announced that they're going to be running more 2D showings. I've pretty much given up on theaters anyways, but this is just disgusting.
It would be curious to know if cost was the same 2D vs 3D showings- which one would sell more. A few times I went with 2D due to cost- (when you consider the whole family it adds up)- but we all would have prefered seeing the 3D.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:29 PM   #36
Expert Member

Jan 2011
-
-
-

I know a lot of people who don't watch 3D films in the theatre. One friend is blind in one eye, so that instantly ruins the experience. But i also know a lot of people who claim it gives them headaches. It may just be coincidental but I've also noticed that all the people who claim this also wear corrective glasses all the time (although i also know people who wear glasses and still enjoy 3D, so it obviously doesn't apply to all).

(and of course I think 3D is great, but i also understand the flip side of the argument and hear people complain that the best theatres only show movies in 3D)
Old 07-31-2017, 03:54 PM   #37
Power Member

Oct 2012
Auburndale Fl

I don't care I use my 2D to 3D feature all of the time with new episodes and every film & TV DVD I watch. It is different but still looks really good to me.

I wished I could have afford a 4K with the same 3D. I only got my TV because it was a floor model under $400 in 2013 that still works good but the only thing is it wasn't a smart TV.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:09 PM   #38
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

In the end it isn't Hollywood who is killing 3D, it's the costumers. 3D for home entertainment never really took off and demand for 3D theatrical screenings is declining. Hollywood is an industry, it follows the demands of the market and if demand is low then there is no point in supporting a particular format and they will try something else. As with every period when 3D was popular, people have become tired of the glasses. I think 3D will make a come back again once glass-free 3D becomes viable for theatrical and home video and we won't have to wait several decades again for the next upgrade of the format. James Cameron will come to the rescue of the technology.

I'm a fan of 3D, but it's something I prefer to watch occasionally rather than every time I watch a movie. The technology has come a long way since the 50s but it's not there yet 100% to be completely embraced by the mainstream.
Thanks given by:
Rickyrockard (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 05:15 PM   #39

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Flyer View Post
I bought 2 2016 LG OLEDs and everyone says 3d is outstanding on them compared to watching 3d in a theater. THAT is why Hollywood wants to eliminate home 3d. No $7 popcorn or $6 Cokes. That's where the theater profits are.
Wow!! Where do you get such cheap popcorn & cokes ? Its $20 for a large popcorn and large soft drink combo where I live.
Thanks given by:
nycomet (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 06:15 PM   #40
Power Member

Jul 2010
Chicago, IL

When 3D first came out, I wrongly assumed it was here to stay. With hind sight, now we know better. For 3D fans, it's like taking candy from a baby. We've just about exhausted our dismay at the events of the last 2 years but who knows if 3D will ever be awakened once more down the road.

My own opinion on 3D without glasses is that it won't be the savior some are hoping for if it ever happens. To me, the use of glasses being the reason for 3D spiraling down isn't true. I've sat through too many IMAX presentations through the years (with a full audience) to believe that even though I acknowledge that some just can't enjoy 3D because they have valid vision complications.

Having been on board the launch of 3D from day one, I've had many family members and friends over to watch a movie in 3D. I've never had 1 person complain about wearing glasses or anything else related to 3D movies. Most had never even seen a 3D movie and marveled at how nice it is. I remember my wife's, niece having a baby shower at our house. I asked some of the ladies if they would like to check out a 3D movie and they enjoyed it thoroughly. They were so delighted that they were screaming and howling while watching Final Destination 4. Afterwards, I got accused of stealing guest away from the shower. Those ladies called it the highlight of the baby shower.

So you have the glasses argument and then the set manufacturers stating that buyers just don't want 3D. I would have to go with the latter being the reason. Very sad that it didn't work out for us cause having 3D at home was like a dream come true for big kids like you and I. I've just about had a new TV every year since I got married. 3D was the main reason as reports of less ghosting and a brighter presentation were the main reasons for upgrading. I was "In like Flint." Now, once my E6 goes, I don't plan on buying another big TV for movies again. I still like movies but 4k is so hit and miss that I wouldn't miss it that much at all. Dropping 3D was the straw that broke the camels back for me. I'll just move on to something else like VR which I also like and you don't need a big set for it.
Thanks given by:
mar3o (08-02-2017), the13thman (08-01-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion