Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Bond 50 (DVD)
$77.73
4 hrs ago
Chicago P.D.: Season Eight (DVD)
$29.99

Godzilla vs. Kong (DVD)
$19.96
20 hrs ago
Schitt's Creek: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$29.99

The Blacklist: The Complete Eighth Season (DVD)
$34.99

The Land Before Time: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$19.30

Raya and the Last Dragon (DVD)
$14.99

Parks and Recreation: The Complete Series (DVD)
$29.99

In the Heights (DVD)
$22.99

12 Mighty Orphans (DVD)
$17.99

Wrath of Man (DVD)
$17.96

Mortal Kombat (DVD)
$17.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 04-26-2021, 10:39 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

This past weekend, finished re-watching the first season, and started re-watching the second (and sadly, final season). Noticed something with the music score for the season premiere "Condition: Red", which I'm unsure yet about whether I like it (on the Act titlecard screens, the piece of music score has been extended from the first season version).

As for the episode's plot, I thought it was a bit dull compared to the first season finale "The Condemned". It had some good scenes, but there were some dull ones as well. Very good guest-star lineup though (including Antoinette Bower, Jason Evers, Mort Mills (who I know best from the original Psycho) and Steve Scott.
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 08:26 PM   #22

Oct 2020
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
This past weekend, finished re-watching the first season, and started re-watching the second (and sadly, final season). Noticed something with the music score for the season premiere "Condition: Red", which I'm unsure yet about whether I like it (on the Act titlecard screens, the piece of music score has been extended from the first season version).

As for the episode's plot, I thought it was a bit dull compared to the first season finale "The Condemned". It had some good scenes, but there were some dull ones as well. Very good guest-star lineup though (including Antoinette Bower, Jason Evers, Mort Mills (who I know best from the original Psycho) and Steve Scott.
One thing about this show is, like with all QM shows, some of the guest stars recur a lot!

Ed O'Brian, an Oscar winner no less, appears in several episodes, sometimes he only has a tiny role, sometimes much bigger

PS reading your holy grail list, I hope you've spotted the Midnight Caller reruns which started this week on Forces TV. I know there are episodes on YouTube, but this is the first time I can ever remember it bring shown on a UK channel since the original showing in 1988?!

Best we can get short of ever getting a DVD release.

It was clearly shot on Video, so Blu Ray would seem redundant in this case.
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (06-16-2021), OceanBlue (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 08:42 PM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutback73 View Post
One thing about this show is, like with all QM shows, some of the guest stars recur a lot!

Ed O'Brian, an Oscar winner no less, appears in several episodes, sometimes he only has a tiny role, sometimes much bigger

PS reading your holy grail list, I hope you've spotted the Midnight Caller reruns which started this week on Forces TV. I know there are episodes on YouTube, but this is the first time I can ever remember it bring shown on a UK channel since the original showing in 1988?!

Best we can get short of ever getting a DVD release.

It was clearly shot on Video, so Blu Ray would seem redundant in this case.
I've especially noticed that when I watch the Hallmark murder mystery TV films, revolving casts where you see a lot of familiar faces. The original Mission: Impossible series was another one where some actors guest-starred several times (usually as different characters).

Regarding Midnight Caller, I hope people who are used to high definition, don't become disappointed by the 'shot on film, edited on video' look of the series. A lot of American series from that era had that look.
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (04-27-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 09:38 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Default Season two episodes recently

Nearly finished re-watching the second disc in the North American DVD set of the second and final season of The Invaders (have watched several episodes the past couple of weeks). After a dull season premiere, things improved quickly. The last episode I watched was "The Spores", which saw Gene Hackman in an early screen role (I know he guest-starred in at least another TV series before he starred in the film Downhill Racer before the end of the sixties (The FBI).
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (05-21-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 11:04 PM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

In the past week or two, have re-watched up to the two-part story "Summit Meeting". A couple more episodes to go with David Vincent on his own against the aliens, before the show changes (when the Believers debut (which includes actor Kent Smith's character Edgar Scoville).

The concluding part of this two-parter was mostly shot on studio sets, but it still had it's moments (the first part was more on location). Veteran actor Michael Rennie returned. It wasn't said if he played the same character he played in that excellent season one episode "The Innocent", but I assumed he played the same alien character.
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (06-11-2021), cutback73 (06-01-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 09:11 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Whether or not it was a good direction the show went in, it started off on an excellent note. Watched a few nights ago the second season episode "The Believers". For the majority of the episode, it was a complicated plot (but in a good way) and the pace didn't really let up.

Between these episodes of The Invaders, it's obvious some time has passed. Vincent is established with businessman Edgar Scoville. I'd love to know where the series was shot, because at times it doesn't feel like it was shot in California.
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (06-16-2021), cutback73 (06-12-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 11:40 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

I recently started watching The Invaders S02, and have watched about half of the season. I know this show only lasted two seasons, so wanted to stretch out my viewing so it wouldn't end too soon

Great season - so far. In fact, I would have to honestly say this season may even be slightly better than S01 (and that was great too). S02 explores more of how the aliens are trying to take over Earth society by infiltrating the military, religion, etc.

One of my favorite episodes here is "The Spores", which was an obvious homage to the film "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" - which "The Invaders" owes a lot to.

Also great was "The Prophet", about an alien who has amassed a group of Earth followers due to his claiming to be a religious prophet/leader;
[Show spoiler]they believe him due to his being able to "glow red" but still survive afterwards (similar to the way the aliens die) This is the first time we see an alien "glow" like this without dying right afterwards.

Also, very notable guest stars in this season, including Kevin McCarthy (Invasion of the Body Snatchers), Pat Hingle, Dabney Coleman, Gene Hackman, Michael Rennie (The Day the Earth Stood Still), Shirley Knight, etc.
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (06-20-2021), OceanBlue (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 10:39 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

There is a fine balance between gradually watching a series, savouring it, or watching too much because you're really enjoying it, risking getting fed up of watching the series. The Invaders is very different from the other series I watch, because it's a sci-fi drama series (thinking about trying the series The Time Tunnel and the original Twilight Zone series).
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 07:07 PM   #29

Oct 2020
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
There is a fine balance between gradually watching a series, savouring it, or watching too much because you're really enjoying it, risking getting fed up of watching the series. The Invaders is very different from the other series I watch, because it's a sci-fi drama series (thinking about trying the series The Time Tunnel and the original Twilight Zone series).
The Invaders is very different, as a sci-fi drama, but also somehow familiar in the context of being a Quinn Martin show. Much like The Fugitive before it, every week you know Kimble won't be able to prove his innocence/Vincent wont be able to prove there are Invaders, but by the end at least one more person will be left believing in him.

In some ways, it's more believable that Vincent gets into danger every week because he is actively seeking out those people with crooked little fingers and doing so would inevitably be a dangerous task.

Whereas with Kimble, you basically have to accept that every time he accepts a lift, it's probably from a murderer/psycopath/etc. Plus the fact that every woman he meets will fall madly in love with him...

What both shows do have though, are some superb scriptwriters and excellently cast leads.

It's well known that David Janssen was completely burnt out by the end of The Fugitive in 1967, being in virtually every scene. I wonder whether that had any part in the decision to bring in The Believers into The Invaders as a way of both moving the story forward, but also reducing the load on Roy Thinnes, who again is in virtually every scene in the show. I gather the two co-stars in the final episode (including the excellent and underrated recently departed Peter Mark Richman) were due to continue in the show if it went to a third season.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies