Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Godzilla vs. Kong 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Flight of the Butterflies 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.30

Pina 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.49

The Legend of Hercules 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.49

Despicable Me 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.39

The Smurfs 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.69
1 day ago
Trolls World Tour 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.49
1 day ago
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.31

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 06-15-2021, 02:56 PM   #3421
Power Member

Dec 2011
Florida

It's blocked by Paramount.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:11 AM   #3422
Special Member

Mar 2015
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtchance View Post
I hope itís the latter Warren.
Which latter? The latter as in SW passage, or the latter as in standing corrected?
Old 06-16-2021, 12:13 PM   #3423
Power Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oboler View Post
I ripped a ďde-anaglyphedĒ copy of Hondo from (I think) YouTube, about a year ago. I havenít got round to watching it properly, but flicked through and itís in true 3D, though the quality is certainly nothing to rave about. Itís perfectly watchable though and the only way Iíll get to see Hondo in 3D as things currently stand. It might still be there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oboler View Post
Iím nearly certain that the YouTube page with 3D Hondo was a guy called Philip Heggie. Hondo has gone unfortunately, possibly for copyright reasons, but he probably still has it and might be willing to upload it somewhere. Itís worth checking out his page anyhow for heaps of 3D content, including ďdeanaglyphedĒ versions of Robot Monster and Catwoman of the Moon, which I imagine many havenít had a chance to see in 3D.
There was also a very watchable version of The French Line. SD, but true 3D.

I remember coming across a clip from Hondo some years back that was de-anaglyhed, which was far from watchable. Garish colour and very poor resolution. It could probably have been improved upon by replacing the relevent eye with the HD from the bluray.

The version that has been reuploaded is not de-anaglyphed. It's described as "3D via Google AI Hybrid enhanced". Not clear what this process involves, perhaps there is some way to generate depth maps from the de-anaglyhed version and apply that to the HD version, although there is nothing to suggest that is the case. If it's just a straight conversion, I'd be less interested as it wouldn't reflect the choices made in the original stereography.

I skimmed it, and some sections seem pretty good, although the landscapes in the background don't seem to fall back quite as far as I would expect.

I'm sure it won't be up for long.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:45 PM   #3424
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Furmanek View Post
Weíre in the homestretch on finishing and delivering Revenge of the Shogun Women to our mastering facility in California. Just as soon as thatís out the door, we will announce our next preorder campaign on Kickstarter for a primo Golden Age feature.

Get ready, youíre going to love this one!
What a great statement! Cannot wait to find out what it is. When words like "primo" and "you're going to love this one" get thrown out there to describe an upcoming 3-D classic on Blu-ray, that means something.
Thanks given by:
Bbrock64 (06-18-2021), robtadrian (06-16-2021), Secretive Rook (06-19-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 05:19 PM   #3425
Special Member

May 2011
New York State

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Warren Scollan View Post
Which latter? The latter as in SW passage, or the latter as in standing corrected?
SOUTHWEST PASSAGE Warren.
Thanks given by:
T. Warren Scollan (06-17-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 05:40 PM   #3426

Jan 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interdimensional View Post
There was also a very watchable version of The French Line. SD, but true 3D.

I remember coming across a clip from Hondo some years back that was de-anaglyhed, which was far from watchable. Garish colour and very poor resolution. It could probably have been improved upon by replacing the relevent eye with the HD from the bluray.

The version that has been reuploaded is not de-anaglyphed. It's described as "3D via Google AI Hybrid enhanced". Not clear what this process involves, perhaps there is some way to generate depth maps from the de-anaglyhed version and apply that to the HD version, although there is nothing to suggest that is the case. If it's just a straight conversion, I'd be less interested as it wouldn't reflect the choices made in the original stereography.

I skimmed it, and some sections seem pretty good, although the landscapes in the background don't seem to fall back quite as far as I would expect.

I'm sure it won't be up for long.
I havenít watched the new anaglyph upload, but it displays the screen as SBS until I press play, whereupon it changes to anaglyph, so I wonder how it will look if ripped from YouTube. At a glance, the picture looks better than the copy I already have.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:30 PM   #3427
Power Member

Dec 2011
Florida

Quote:
SOUTHWEST PASSAGE Warren.
"Sadly, four of nine reels from SOUTHWEST PASSAGE are missing"
Old 06-16-2021, 08:19 PM   #3428
Special Member

May 2011
New York State

It’s just me but I’ve seen SOUTHWEST PASSAGE. It is an excellent B western that I would like to have just for the desert landscapes. It has a good cast John Ireland, Joanne Dru, Rod Cameron and John Dehner with snappy direction by Ray Nazarro. really don’t know much about THE DIAMOND WIZARD. Personally I would prefer to contribute on a Kickstarter for half a 3D western from the Golden Age.
Thanks given by:
robtadrian (06-18-2021), T. Warren Scollan (06-17-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 10:13 PM   #3429
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012

An exciting Golden Age announcement is coming this weekend!

(It’s not the Kickstarter one due in a few weeks…)
Thanks given by:
bavanut (06-17-2021), Bbrock64 (06-18-2021), BleedOrange11 (06-17-2021), Camps (06-16-2021), cinerama (06-16-2021), ilovenola2 (06-17-2021), jimqk (06-17-2021), MercurySeven (06-17-2021), ndonlt (06-17-2021), NJPete (06-17-2021), Paul H (06-17-2021), petergee (06-16-2021), pickit60 (06-17-2021), revgen (06-16-2021), robtadrian (06-18-2021), Secretive Rook (06-17-2021), T. Warren Scollan (06-17-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 10:40 PM   #3430

Jul 2007
New Zealand

Two 3-D announcements in a matter of weeks? Thanks Bob!
Thanks given by:
Interdimensional (06-18-2021), ndonlt (06-17-2021), Robert Furmanek (06-16-2021), robtadrian (06-18-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 08:48 AM   #3431

Sep 2016
Sydney

The Hondo video is sbs format, but youtube doesn't show it properly over the website (there used to be more options a few years ago).

Clipboard 2 is a titlescreen of the latest upload, and Clipboard 3 the previous one.

The only issue I see with the presentation is the 4:3 movie is not pilllarboxed in the 16:9 sbs half frame, so when presented as sbs 3d video, most displays will stretch the 4:3 picture to be fullscreen 16:9.

The previous version might not look as good, but at least it was easier to display it the correct shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard02.jpg (97.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Clipboard03.jpg (94.4 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Secretive Rook; 06-17-2021 at 08:58 AM.
Thanks given by:
Oboler (06-17-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 12:16 PM   #3432
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

cross-eye method
Old 06-17-2021, 09:39 PM   #3433
Special Member

Mar 2015
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Itís just me but Iíve seen SOUTHWEST PASSAGE. It is an excellent B western that I would like to have just for the desert landscapes. It has a good cast John Ireland, Joanne Dru, Rod Cameron and John Dehner with snappy direction by Ray Nazarro. really donít know much about THE DIAMOND WIZARD. Personally I would prefer to contribute on a Kickstarter for half a 3D western from the Golden Age.
And don't forget one of my favorite character actors who's been in 5 3D "Golden Agers": Morris Ankrum!
Thanks given by:
robtadrian (06-18-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 10:38 PM   #3434
Special Member

May 2011
New York State

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Warren Scollan View Post
And don't forget one of my favorite character actors who's been in 5 3D "Golden Agers": Morris Ankrum!
How could I forget Morris!
Thanks given by:
robtadrian (06-18-2021), T. Warren Scollan (06-19-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 11:59 PM   #3435
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
Pennsylvania

I've been pouring over this list on the 3-D Film Archive site trying to determine which two out of the 50 Golden Age classics listed will be the ones released on Blu-ray. Which one needs a Kickstarter and which one does not? Twenty of the 50 have already been released, and 12 of the unreleased titles are controlled by Warner so that boils it down to 18. Five of the unreleased titles are owned by Sony and I doubt one of those would be among the two, which lowers the number to 13.

Top Banana no longer exists in 3-D so it won't be that. That makes 12. Wade Williams owns three of the titles, including Cat-Women of the Moon, Hannah Lee and Robot Monster. Is he playing ball yet? There was a music issue with The Glass Web that prevented Universal from making it available. Has that been rectified?

Bwana Devil is the movie that started the 50's 3-D craze and surprisingly still hasn't been released. Could this be one of the two?

Is there any possible chance Gorilla at Large has been made available by Disney? That would be great.

Hondo is apparently controlled by the John Wayne estate and has already been restored in 3-D but was never released on 3-D Blu-ray. Is it possible it has finally been made available for 3-D Blu-ray distribution?

I, the Jury should have been released years ago on 3-D Blu-ray, but bad things happened that ultimately prevented that release. Has the situation changed finally?

Is it possible Paramount has made available one of its two remaining Golden Age 3-D titles, Money from Home or Flight to Tangier?

Many allusions have been made over the past several years that The Diamond Wizard was a title that could be in the running, but to date nothing has ever materialized. Is that about to change finally?

Southwest Passage is a title that also has been tossed out there as a strong candidate. A good chunk of the movie no longer exists in 3-D as four of nine reels of one of the sides are missing. 3-D fans would still buy it if released because half of something is better than nothing. Is this one of the two?

Last edited by jimqk; 06-18-2021 at 12:12 AM.
Thanks given by:
br3ttD (06-18-2021), Camps (06-18-2021), MattMN (06-19-2021), MercurySeven (06-18-2021), Oboler (06-18-2021), Paul H (06-18-2021), pickit60 (06-18-2021), revgen (06-18-2021), robtadrian (06-18-2021), Secretive Rook (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 07:46 AM   #3436

Jan 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimqk View Post
I've been pouring over this list on the 3-D Film Archive site trying to determine which two out of the 50 Golden Age classics listed will be the ones released on Blu-ray. Which one needs a Kickstarter and which one does not? Twenty of the 50 have already been released, and 12 of the unreleased titles are controlled by Warner so that boils it down to 18. Five of the unreleased titles are owned by Sony and I doubt one of those would be among the two, which lowers the number to 13.

Top Banana no longer exists in 3-D so it won't be that. That makes 12. Wade Williams owns three of the titles, including Cat-Women of the Moon, Hannah Lee and Robot Monster. Is he playing ball yet? There was a music issue with The Glass Web that prevented Universal from making it available. Has that been rectified?

Bwana Devil is the movie that started the 50's 3-D craze and surprisingly still hasn't been released. Could this be one of the two?

Is there any possible chance Gorilla at Large has been made available by Disney? That would be great.

Hondo is apparently controlled by the John Wayne estate and has already been restored in 3-D but was never released on 3-D Blu-ray. Is it possible it has finally been made available for 3-D Blu-ray distribution?

I, the Jury should have been released years ago on 3-D Blu-ray, but bad things happened that ultimately prevented that release. Has the situation changed finally?

Is it possible Paramount has made available one of its two remaining Golden Age 3-D titles, Money from Home or Flight to Tangier?

Many allusions have been made over the past several years that The Diamond Wizard was a title that could be in the running, but to date nothing has ever materialized. Is that about to change finally?

Southwest Passage is a title that also has been tossed out there as a strong candidate. A good chunk of the movie no longer exists in 3-D as four of nine reels of one of the sides are missing. 3-D fans would still buy it if released because half of something is better than nothing. Is this one of the two?
It would be great if there were a sticky thread list of the unreleased Golden age titles (and silver age too,) for those of us whoís memory doesnít function quite as one would wish. It would save someone having to spend their time working it out each time thereís a new release teased. Although I suspect it was enjoyable research.

I have my crossed for Bwana Devil...
Thanks given by:
jimqk (06-18-2021), robtadrian (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 01:06 PM   #3437
Power Member

Nov 2014

Quote:

To my way of thinking, anything is possible, some things seem significantly less likely, to the point of being only the remotest possibility but never say never. Even WB titles I hate to give up on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Furmanek View Post
An exciting Golden Age announcement is coming this weekend!

(Itís not the Kickstarter one due in a few weeksÖ)
Thrilling times! I will be forever grateful that this ball has kept rolling years after tv manufacturers discontinued support.

3-DFA must be busier than ever. Perhaps the non-kickstarter announcement is a release that doesn't require their direct involvement? Such as Hondo, or who knows, maybe a follow up Italian release? I'd further speculate that it may not be an imminent release, but perhaps something exiting has been rediscovered?

Whatever the case, any Golden Age related news is highly anticipated.
Thanks given by:
jimqk (06-18-2021), revgen (06-18-2021), robtadrian (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 01:27 PM   #3438

Feb 2013

The unreleased are
Warner Brothers - Arena, Second Chance, Charge at Feather River, Devil's Canyon, Son of Sinbad, The Moonlighter, Louisiana Territory, The French Line, Dangerous Mission, Phantom of the Rue Morgue, The Command and The Bounty Hunter.

Columbia - Fort Ti, Stranger Wore a Gun, The Nebraskan, Drums of Tahiti and
Jesse James vs the Daltons.

Universal - The Glass Web

Paramount - Money From Home, Flight To Tangier, Hondo

Fox - Gorilla at Large

Independent/Misc - I, the Jury, Cat-Women on the Moon, Hannah Lee, Robot Monster

MGM UA - Diamond Wizard, Bwana Devil, Top Banana, Southwest Passage

As stated above WB and Columbia unlikely alongside Gorilla At Large, The Glass Web has complex music rights issues in the USA but I think abroad it could be released, Money From Home Olive held rights and killed a 3D release so when rights are up for grabs it is possible, Flight to Tangier was dropped because Paramount opposed a Kickstarter due to someone not making the material available. Hondo held up by The Wayne Estate. I, the Jury nearly occurred but someone put an end to that plans and of course the three held by WW.

MGM/UA titles look like the best bet for a possible release.

If ten years ago you said we have 20 of the 1950s 3D films available I think people would have been content with that number. We will reach the half way mark of 25 I do think so
Thanks given by:
jimqk (06-18-2021), MattMN (06-19-2021), MercurySeven (06-18-2021), revgen (06-18-2021), robtadrian (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 03:13 PM   #3439
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2012

Quote:
Wade Williams owns three of the titles, including Cat-Women of the Moon, Hannah Lee and Robot Monster. Is he playing ball yet?
He's already made a deal with The Film Detective to distribute his holdings. This has been covered elsewhere, but I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in the 3-D threads.
Thanks given by:
jimqk (06-18-2021), robtadrian (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 04:34 PM   #3440
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkskins View Post
If ten years ago you said we have 20 of the 1950s 3D films available I think people would have been content with that number. We will reach the half way mark of 25 I do think so
It took a little bit after 3-D TVs hit the market in the early 2010s for any Golden Age 3-D movies to be released on Blu-ray. It wasn't until October 2012 when we finally got Creature From the Black Lagoon and Dial M for Murder. But even before that, The Mad Magician became available for purchase on PS3, and that was the first thing I bought.

In those days, I wasn't as educated on Golden Age 3-D movies as I am now (thanks Bob Furmanek), but there was a list of movies in my mind that I thought for sure would get released soon after those early releases. That list would have been different had I known about movies like Inferno (which is one of my very favorite 3-D movies), Man in the Dark, Taza, Son of Cochise, and Second Chance (which I'd love to see before I die.)

My original list - in addition to the three mentioned - included Revenge of the Creature, House of Wax, Gorilla at Large, Phantom of the Rue Morgue, The Maze, It Came From Outer Space, Gog, Robot Monster and Bwana Devil. I thought for sure that those movies would certainly get released over the course of the next two or three years.

But, that never happened. It took a full year after Dial M for Murder was released until we got another 3-D Golden Age classic, House of Wax. The studios really dropped the ball early on. They were sitting on gold, but did nothing about it. Had more of those movies been released early on, it's highly possible TV manufacturers would still include a 3-D option in their sets.

I bought my first 3-D projector a few months before Creature and Dial M were released in 2012 (that's the reason I bought it). I'll never forget showing those movies to family and friends, and their reactions. They thought it was amazing! Meanwhile, newer 3-D movies paled in comparison to the old ones. The only really good new 3-D movie, Avatar, was only available to people who bought Samsung TVs. Stupid. It was like saying, "Here, check out this new medium of home entertainment, but only if you buy this type of TV." What about the people who already owned a model from a different company?

The studios needed to strike while the iron was hot, and they failed to do that. If it wasn't for Bob Furmanek, his team of experts, and the good folks at Kino Lorber, we would not have, literally, half of the 3-D Golden Age movies in our collections that we now own.

It seems like Universal would have never released It Came From Outer Space if the archive hadn't restored it for Panamint. Apparently, Panamint made a deal with Universal to release the movie, along with the archive to restore it. When Universal saw the finished product, it suddenly made plans to release it in the U.S. themselves. I also wonder whether the movie would have included that amazing magnetic three-track stereo soundtrack had the archive not been involved?

The amazing thing, however, is that it took a long four years after Creature From the Black Lagoon for Universal to release another classic 3-D movie, as It Came From Outer Space didn't finally become available until October 2016. By that point, interest in 3-D TVs was waning hard.

Would MGM ever had taken the time to restore Gog in 3-D? No way. That was the archive and Kino all the way. We are extremely lucky to have that one. And we're lucky to have everything else we got.

The biggest disappointment is Warner Brothers. Of the 15 titles they own, they only released three. I've been dying to see Phantom of the Rue Morgue in 3-D since the 1970s and it looks like that probably won't ever happen now. And they have a lot of other exciting titles in their collection, too, that I would have loved to see like Charge at Feather River, Dangerous Mission and Second Chance.

But the great news right now is there are two more of those 50 titles that at some point soon we'll get to add to our collections. This is big time. Don't get me wrong - I love all the Silver Age stuff and am always thrilled to add titles to my collection from that era. But it's the Golden Age stuff that gets me really pumped. There's something magical about 3-D movies from the period of time from 1952 through 1955 that is hard to put into words. When Bob stated the upcoming Kickstarter for a "primo" Golden Age title, he revealed nothing because as far as I'm concerned, every title from this period is primo.
Thanks given by:
bavanut (06-19-2021), jtchance (06-19-2021), MattMN (06-19-2021), MercurySeven (06-18-2021), Paul H (06-18-2021), revgen (06-18-2021), Robert Furmanek (06-18-2021), robtadrian (06-18-2021), Secretive Rook (06-18-2021), T. Warren Scollan (06-19-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Tags
3d motion picture, rock hudson, widescreen