Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Marvel Studios Cinematic Universe - Phase 3, Part 2 (Blu-ray)
£45.00

Peaky Blinders: The Complete Series 1-5 (Blu-ray)
£32.00

The Middle-Earth Six Film Collection (Blu-ray)
£44.99

House: The Collection (Blu-ray)
£24.23

The Wonderful Worlds of Ray Harryhausen, Volume One: 1955-1960 (Blu-ray)
£29.13
1 hr ago
The James Bond Collection (Blu-ray)
£35.18

Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
£29.99

The Before Trilogy (Blu-ray)
£41.99

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
£22.88
9 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
£12.39

Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
£75.98

Pieces (Blu-ray)
£9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 01-29-2009, 05:21 PM   #1

Oct 2008
United Kingdom basic instinct UK.vs.US

i am planning to buy bi from amazon uk....since the review's from us pertaining to the pq is not good....

i would like to know how is the pq of basic instinct bd of UK.

pls help me as there are no reviews on the site regarding uk....and i would also like to know that is the UK bd unrated or not....

pls help....
Old 01-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Power Member

Feb 2007

I would imagine it would be the same transfer in any country unless it's a different version of the film.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008

Lionsgate US:
1080p 2.35 MPEG4 AVC
DTS-HD High Resolution
Dolby Digital 5.1

Optimum UK:
1080p 2.35 VC-1
DTS-HD Master Audio

The US release has most of the extras from the DVD release except the promotional stuff by Sharon Stone for Basic Instinct 2. The UK release is movie-only with nary a trailer.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
Banned

Oct 2006
Kentwood, Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to GGX

Quote:
Originally Posted by djluis2k6 View Post
I would imagine it would be the same transfer in any country unless it's a different version of the film.
Not the case at all. The US release was released by Lionsgate. Optimum/Studio Canal released the UK Blu. Different studios do different things.

With that in mind, I imported the UK release of Basic Instinct a week ago. It is MUCH better than the domestic release as far as PQ/AQ of the movie goes. It's definitely the version to get.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

Thanks for that. Will pick BI on UK version for sure.

I'm not into extras. I probably have watched extras for about 5 of the 126 discs i've bought.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #6

Jan 2009

I bought the US version at Best Buy for $12 but I dont mind purchasing it again if it has better PQ, thanks for the thread!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:38 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008

apparently there is a directors commentary MIA
Old 01-31-2009, 04:53 AM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008

As I said in my previous post,

The US BD has most of the extras, including BOTH commentaries, from the DVD releases except the promo stuff Sharon Stone did to sell Basic Instinct 2 in theaters.

The UK BD has just the movie and basic pop-up menus.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:44 AM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
As I said in my previous post,

The US BD has most of the extras, including BOTH commentaries, from the DVD releases except the promo stuff Sharon Stone did to sell Basic Instinct 2 in theaters.

The UK BD has just the movie and basic pop-up menus.
Yes but there is ANOTHER commentary missing.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:27 AM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDarren View Post
Yes but there is ANOTHER commentary missing.
What do you mean?

There were only two commentaries made for Basic Instinct.

One was with director Paul Verhoeven and Jan De Bont.

The second was with Camille Paglia.

There is no "third" commentary unless you are thinking of the "descriptive video service" track from the original movie-only DVD. Paul Verhoeven never recorded a solo commentary and that the DVS track is not a commentary. Its a female voice-over artist describing the scenes audibly for the visually impaired.

In fact...

For the US:

Release 1: Artisan Home Entertainment branded DVD with DVS and trailer.

Release 2, 3, 4, $ 5: Artisan Home Entertainment branded SE DVDs with 2 commentaries, featurettes, and trailer. Available in rated ( Rel 4) and unrated (Rel 5)versions; first pressings in "ice block" case with ice pick pen (Rel 2&3).

Release 6: Lionsgate branded Ulimate Edition with just the director and Jan De Bont commentary, featurettes, trailer, and promo materials for Basic Instinct 2.

Release 7: Lionsate branded Blu-ray Disc with the 2 commentaries, featurettes, and trailer. Packaged in a regular BD keepcase.

You might be thinking that the the Blu-ray Disc is similar to Release 6 but in fact, its an HD version of Release 5.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008

You'll see mention of it in the extras review on this page:
http://www.dvdtown.com/reviews/basic-instinct/4898/2
Old 01-31-2009, 04:54 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008

That commentary was for the Pioneer laserdisc release. It was never on any DVD release. Lionsgate may not have been able to license it for the DVD. If you really want to be a bull about it then okay, its missing the " third" unicorn of a commentary.

To me, the current BD from Lionsgate is pretty close to the DVD which was superior to the Laserdisc.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:57 PM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGX View Post
Not the case at all. The US release was released by Lionsgate. Optimum/Studio Canal released the UK Blu. Different studios do different things.

With that in mind, I imported the UK release of Basic Instinct a week ago. It is MUCH better than the domestic release as far as PQ/AQ of the movie goes. It's definitely the version to get.
This is correct. The UK Blu-ray is superior to the U.S. version in everything except extra features. I do predict we will see a better U.S. BD eventually, but who knows when Lionsgate will release it.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:13 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008

Quote:
That commentary was for the Pioneer laserdisc release. It was never on any DVD release. Lionsgate may not have been able to license it for the DVD. If you really want to be a bull about it then okay, its missing the " third" unicorn of a commentary.

To me, the current BD from Lionsgate is pretty close to the DVD which was superior to the Laserdisc.
I'm not being a bull about it. I mentioned it, you denied it, and I simply pointed you to proof.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:47 AM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008

But the "missing" commentary you keep bringing up was from a 1993 laserdisc. It was not on any previous DVD releases so essentially its now one of the lost commentaries.

The laserdisc even had poor picture quality and an audio error on the soundtrack. The only redeeming factor is the director's commentary. You make it sound like the BD is still missing major extras when its not.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008

Quote:
But the "missing" commentary you keep bringing up was from a 1993 laserdisc. It was not on any previous DVD releases so essentially its now one of the lost commentaries.

The laserdisc even had poor picture quality and an audio error on the soundtrack. The only redeeming factor is the director's commentary. You make it sound like the BD is still missing major extras when its not.
Just putting the facts out there. Never made a big deal out of it. Count the number of words in my posts, then compare them to yours, if you want to see who is making a big deal...

I really barely even care (only ever saw the show ONCE).
Old 09-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #17

Apr 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
-
-

Is it true that the UK disc has an audio pitch problem?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #18

Sep 2008
Vancouver, Canada

No, that was the other format release. They fixed it when they released it on Blu-ray.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #19

Jun 2010
Earth, Solar System

Can the UK version work on a region C Blu-ray player?
Old 10-23-2010, 06:39 AM   #20

Sep 2008
Vancouver, Canada

Definitely not. I confirmed that it's Region AB locked. The Hong Kong disc is ABC, but it just uses the USA encode. If you're interested in that disc, PM me - I'm looking to sell it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland