Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
11 hrs ago
Whiplash 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

3 from Hell 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Pitch Black 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Flash Gordon 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Onward 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.10

The New York Ripper 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.20

Columbia Classics Collection: Volume 1 4K (Blu-ray)
$108.87

Flash Gordon 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Lone Survivor 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.49

Superman: Man of Tomorrow 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 06-29-2020, 03:00 AM   #1201
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by storythecorgi View Post
Yup, I saw the same thing at my Target too and they're STILL not selling. And to think I waited in line on black Friday years ago cause I thought $10 was gonna make them sell out quickly.
you're not the only one. I bought them up when they were full price -__- I did get a price difference and I waited for a sale on S2. Still, did I think they would be $3? no.

Plus If you have Target Circle there is a 50% coupon that apparently works on clearance as well - so you can buy this for $1.50
Old 06-29-2020, 03:09 AM   #1202
Expert Member

Jun 2012

Pretty depressing state of physical media when they won't even sell at $3 a pop. Unfortunately, distributors take note of this and continue to take less and less of a chance on floor space.

I think another good recent example was Walmart stocking 1-2 copies of Last Jedi and Solo per store.

I'm really hoping we get a Season 3 release but it's not looking good at this point.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:45 AM   #1203
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcx4610 View Post
Pretty depressing state of physical media when they won't even sell at $3 a pop. Unfortunately, distributors take note of this and continue to take less and less of a chance on floor space.

I think another good recent example was Walmart stocking 1-2 copies of Last Jedi and Solo per store.

I'm really hoping we get a Season 3 release but it's not looking good at this point.
It was never realistic to think that a lot of people were going to spend money on a physical release of an online show that fans can stream whenever they want.

...Itís a different era.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:00 PM   #1204
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
It was never realistic to think that a lot of people were going to spend money on a physical release of an online show that fans can stream whenever they want.

...Itís a different era.
^^^ This. Target and Netflix just overdid it the first time out and misjudged how few people in the current age will pay to own physically what they already pay a subscription fee to watch. You'll notice they aren't selling racks and racks of season two for $3. And it doesn't mean much of anything that they can't even move at $3 because, if you're a physical media person, you already bought this well before now, and if you're not, you're still looking at this at any price and thinking, "Eh, who needs it? I already subscribe to Netflix." There's no buyer type left for these orphans.
Thanks given by:
chucktatum (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #1205
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2013
Orlando, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by storythecorgi View Post
Yup, I saw the same thing at my Target too and they're STILL not selling. And to think I waited in line on black Friday years ago cause I thought $10 was gonna make them sell out quickly.
I wouldn’t say they’re NOT selling it’s simply that Target over produced Season 1 as the second season is nowhere to be found in stores.

Season 2 was definitely in limited supplies.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #1206
Special Member

Oct 2012
Glasgow, Scotland

They know now how many they can sell. And also it's on streaming, very few people will buy something they can stream and at the end of the day it's like a TV show. Who rewatches TV shows? Once you've seen it that's it, you know who dies, who lives and you move on to the next show. I would say that's why many TV shows to this day don't get blu ray releases and very few will ever make it to 4K. TV is disposable. There's very little replay value unless you're a superfan and even then you can just watch it on subscription, you don't need to own the discs.

Then you have to look at the price of 4K players. This isn't DVD where you can buy players dirt cheap and most households have one. Before you can even play these discs you have a massive financial hurdle. I live in the UK. To this day I've never seen a UHD player in a supermarket for sale. The only time I ever saw one was in an electrical store so even anyone that might be interested in buying this, where are they going to get a player from? It's a headache.

It's aimed at people who already have 4K players and are super fans and they made too many of them. It's not for the average shopper going to buy bread and milk. This is why DVD is still king. It's affordable, it's easy to set up, everyone has a player. DVD will be around for a long time, I'm not sure about other physical formats.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #1207
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybeats View Post
Who rewatches TV shows? Once you've seen it that's it, you know who dies, who lives and you move on to the next show.
And this logic doesn't apply to films in what way?
Thanks given by:
car2nst (06-29-2020), Cherokee Jack (06-29-2020), jayman3 (06-30-2020), wjasoncul (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #1208
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Who rewatched TV shows?

I do.

Not many TV shows but I have a few I like and will work my way through repetitively.

Examples - Lost, Weeds, Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, Veronica Mars.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:59 PM   #1209
Special Member

Oct 2012
Glasgow, Scotland

Of course it applies to films too. That's why many people will never get on board with 4K. Why pay a lot of money not only for a new film but a film that might be 40 years old when you can pick the DVD up dirt cheap. I'm under no illusion that anyone buying any film most likely will watch it once and that's it so if you're gonna buy it you might aswell get it at the price you think is worth it.

With this Stranger Things set however there's a massive hurdle in that you need a UHD player which isn't cheap and secondly, anyone that wants to see it can see it pretty cheaply through Netflix.

And I think people have the same attitude with Netflix, it's watch once and you're done. You move on to the next thing. What this set will appeal to is people that have fallen in love with Stranger Things, they'll buy the books, the T-shirts, the collector cups, the action figures. It wouldn't matter if it was on sale for $1, for most people they can't play the discs so it's not worth anything to them. It's not like a DVD where everyone can play them and if you don't like it you can give it to a family member or friend. Even if they pulled it off Netflix it would still sit there cause it's only gonna be of use to someone with a UHD player. They just made too many, anyone that wants one will already have it.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #1210
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Of course it applies to films too. That's why many people will never get on board with 4K. Why pay a lot of money not only for a new film but a film that might be 40 years old when you can pick the DVD up dirt cheap. I'm under no illusion that anyone buying any film most likely will watch it once and that's it so if you're gonna buy it you might aswell get it at the price you think is worth it.

With this Stranger Things set however there's a massive hurdle in that you need a UHD player which isn't cheap and secondly, anyone that wants to see it can see it pretty cheaply through Netflix.

And I think people have the same attitude with Netflix, it's watch once and you're done. You move on to the next thing. What this set will appeal to is people that have fallen in love with Stranger Things, they'll buy the books, the T-shirts, the collector cups, the action figures. It wouldn't matter if it was on sale for $1, for most people they can't play the discs so it's not worth anything to them. It's not like a DVD where everyone can play them and if you don't like it you can give it to a family member or friend. Even if they pulled it off Netflix it would still sit there cause it's only gonna be of use to someone with a UHD player. They just made too many, anyone that wants one will already have it.
Um, except the picture Allgood posted was of the Blu-ray set, not the 4K UHD one, so...
Old 06-29-2020, 09:27 PM   #1211

Jan 2017
USA

Quote:
Who rewatches TV shows? Once you've seen it that's it, you know who dies, who lives and you move on to the next show.
I think quite a few people do. There's a reason way shows like Breaking Bad and The Office are still some of the most watched shows on Netflix even with them adding new content all the time. Personally I've watched shows like Breaking Bad, Smallville, House, Game of Thrones and Friday Night Lights 2-3 times each and don't get me started on comedy shows like Friends, Community and The Office which I've seen upwards of a dozen times each.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:33 PM   #1212
Special Member

Jun 2019
England

Iíve rewatched shows like Buffy, Angel, The X-Files, BSG, Charmed a number of times.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:36 PM   #1213

Jan 2020
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyU929 View Post
I think quite a few people do. There's a reason way shows like Breaking Bad and The Office are still some of the most watched shows on Netflix even with them adding new content all the time. Personally I've watched shows like Breaking Bad, Smallville, House, Game of Thrones and Friday Night Lights 2-3 times each and don't get me started on comedy shows like Friends, Community and The Office which I've seen upwards of a dozen times each.
You could argue its always been the way that shows haven't tended to be watched via recorded media as much as films have, pre streaming it was via repeat/syndication.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:28 AM   #1214

Aug 2017

I generally have at least one show on rotation amongst new things, some form of Star Trek, Quantum Leap, Babylon 5, Stargate, BSG, Entourage, Buffy, Angel, It’s Always Sunny. There are loads more, if I really like a show I will buy it, such a shame there is no Blu-ray release for The Orville or that Always Sunny only got a handful of seasons.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:53 AM   #1215
Special Member

Jun 2011
Minnesota, USA
Default Lol

I saw a bunch of S1 copies at my nearest Target too.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #1216

Nov 2019

Is target still selling the 4k versions cheap?
Old 06-30-2020, 01:59 PM   #1217

May 2018
The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Who rewatched TV shows?

I do.

Not many TV shows but I have a few I like and will work my way through repetitively.

Examples - Lost, Weeds, Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, Veronica Mars.
Most of our collection excists of TV shows. I think Gilmore Girls is the show I rewatched the most amount of times. Think I've seen it at least 6 times in total. Several other shows come close.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies