Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (Blu-ray)
$4.99
5 hrs ago
Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.59

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$9.99
10 hrs ago
Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
14 hrs ago
Detour (Blu-ray)
$17.24

Dark Phoenix (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Fist Fight (Blu-ray)
$4.99
9 hrs ago
The French Connection (Blu-ray)
$6.99
2 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 02-21-2019, 06:46 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
denver, co

I also agree with the poster above that you should give it a feel on a blank wall until you know exactly what you are working with and how you will be utilizing the space. In the meantime, the image will still look pretty good.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:16 AM   #22
Expert Member

Jun 2017
Auburn, WA

Leaning heavily towards the BenQ TK800. A certified refurbished on eBay for $949 seems like a good price and I (hopefully) won't have buyers remorse. We get the keys two weeks from today and I plan to get cracking immediately.

I don't care that much about pixel shift but I feel like if I get a 1080 projector I'll wonder if I made the right choice every time I play a disc.

Can anyone a) walk me off the ledge or b) suggest another affordable 2160 projector that offers 3D and around 3,000 lumens?
Old 02-23-2019, 05:55 AM   #23

Mar 2010
Maryland, USA

Read some reviews
https://www.projectorcentral.com/hot...projectors.htm
Also look at throw distance to make sure you can maximize where you want the pj and seats. To be sure go find the user guide or something official with throw distance after you narrow it down. Look at bulb costs (some pjs have replacement bulbs that are under $100, some are $250), I assume since your price range is similar to mine that you may care about that. Also, put some thought and research into your screen. Have fun.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:00 AM   #24

Mar 2010
Maryland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by peep6543 View Post
That looks excellent, very well done! If the ceiling is left white, a la the photo attached, do you anticipate a noticeable difference in luminance if I have decent light control?
The grey looks great, but I would seriously consider painting the ceiling. I am really glad I did that with my pj. I am too lazy to figure how to embed pictures, but you can can click on my theater gallery to see some old pics with my former crappy camera (yes, I should update those)
Old 02-23-2019, 01:59 PM   #25
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

you may want to consider....

https://www.benq.com/en/projector/ci...ema/w2700.html

has lens shift which is worth every penny.

the benq does not.

this might help you.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:50 PM   #26

Aug 2010

Projecting on a blank wall also has the advantage of making the image as big as your projector can make it. You are not restrained by screen size. And if your wall is truly flat, you'll get an image just as good as if you had a screen. And much cheaper too.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:27 PM   #27
Expert Member

Jun 2017
Auburn, WA

Whelp happy birthday to me! Bought the manufacturer refurb w/ warranty BenQ TK800 on ebay for $949. I realized it did everything I wanted and eveything I would potentially want.

If my wife asks please tell her it was only a couple hundred bucks.
Thanks given by:
sonic_debauchery (03-02-2019), XaroXhoanDaxos (03-04-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008

Quote:
Whelp happy birthday to me! Bought the manufacturer refurb w/ warranty BenQ TK800 on ebay for $949. I realized it did everything I wanted and eveything I would potentially want.

If my wife asks please tell her it was only a couple hundred bucks.
Congratulations and welcome to the PJ family lol.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:21 AM   #29
Expert Member

Jun 2017
Auburn, WA

It's been a few days since I have gotten it hung and throwing light. Projector life is the best! I'm pretty much never going back.

That said, I'm still learning how to dial it in and get the best performance from it. The picture looks excellent and at 3,300 lumens I can see well enough for daytime TV.

I have the picture zoomed to perfectly fit my screen (Silver Ticket 100") but there is still about 1" of extra light outside of the edge of the velvet frame. Overscan adjustment is no help. I don't believe it's a keystone issue because the edge of light is even on all 4 sides. It's basically a good 4" of light framing the entire displayed 16x9 picture and it spills a bit onto the wall. Thoughts? Advice?
Old 04-01-2019, 04:42 PM   #30

Mar 2019
Western Oregon

I'm a newbie with no projector experience and many questions of my own. I spent much of yesterday, interrupting my movie time, researching projectors. I have been looking at 75-85" LCD TVs for the last few months, preparing to purchase a new panel for my home theater, then I joined this site and found that projectors are what a lot of serious videophiles are using. As I researched projectors I realized that, while I've been focused on LCD and OLED, projectors have made massive strides in PQ.

One thing I have noticed through my research, which may serve to assist you, is that the improvements continue with each new model year. Like any technology, the prices also continue to drop as the technology improves. Rather than settle on a used unit, look closely at the newest offerings to see if they aren't really a better overall value, features and performance vs price. My own budget is $1,500-$2,000. In that price range there is fierce competition and while native 4K is out of reach, there seem to be some very nice options available. Of course, just like with TVs, the prices drop towards the end of the model year. I see some great prices right now on 2018 PJs.

I found alot of info through a Google search.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #31

Dec 2012
Dallas, TX

I know it's for schools, but I found a used Promethean PRM 25 short throw DLP for $30. I was wondering if it would be any good for home viewing.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:07 AM   #32

Mar 2019
Western Oregon

For $30, what could you expect? It's bright enough, but contrast rating is kind of low. I know that projector contrast numbers can be misleading but if it doesn't specify ANSI test pattern, it's probably pretty low at 3K:1. Again though, for $30 what the heck. You may need a dark screen in a dark room to get much image quality, but it's a cheap start anyway. Like I said before though, projector technology is constantly improving. Once you get started in the PJ world, take a close look at what you can get today for even $500.

I'm looking at 4K projectors in the under $1,500 range. Right now it looks like the Optoma UHD50 is gonna be the ticket for image quality vs installation compatibility in my theater space. I figure I was looking to pay over $1,000 for a cheap 75" TV, or upwards of $2,500 for a decent one. I can buy a pretty excellent 4K PJ for about $1,200 and spend another $500 preparing my home theater to get the most out of the PJ. I'll have a 100" screen with image quality no TV can match, at less than the price of a decent 75" TV. Kind of a no brainer.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #33
Expert Member

Jun 2017
Auburn, WA

Changing gears a little bit. I've put almost 200 hours on it already. 4k and HDR looks phenomenal. Cable TV looks great. What I have noticed is a lot of digital noise on BD. It seems to appear mostly in the brighter areas of the screen, for instance a white sky, white shirt, sheet of paper, skin during a dark scene. Other times the entire display looks flawless.

I noticed it on the exorcist, eastbound and down S1, Galveston and a couple others so I don't think it's related to the source.

I have a selection for noise reduction on the PJ but it's currently Off and I cannot enable it. Maybe a certain image mode is needed to enable it? I also read having the HDMI running parallel to the power cord (as I do under a legrand cord kit) can introduce interference, although wouldn't that appear on all formats?
Old 04-15-2019, 04:46 PM   #34

Mar 2019
Western Oregon

I'm not sure how noise could be introduced through the HDMI cable. The video and audio signals are converted to pure data, ones and zeros, at the source device and transferred as pure digital data, no analog, to the display device.

The data is then converted back to analog at the device. This is the very definition of HDMI and why it was implemented to begin with. It would be very unlikely for any interference to produce false data in the cable.

I have had some of the same issue with my Samsung 4K TV when playing 1080p. I found that adjusting contrast down just a little solved the problem. Perhaps try working with your picture settings, see if that doesn't help.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:43 PM   #35

Oct 2008
Michigan

Quote:
Changing gears a little bit. I've put almost 200 hours on it already. 4k and HDR looks phenomenal. Cable TV looks great. What I have noticed is a lot of digital noise on BD. It seems to appear mostly in the brighter areas of the screen, for instance a white sky, white shirt, sheet of paper, skin during a dark scene. Other times the entire display looks flawless.

I noticed it on the exorcist, eastbound and down S1, Galveston and a couple others so I don't think it's related to the source.

I have a selection for noise reduction on the PJ but it's currently Off and I cannot enable it. Maybe a certain image mode is needed to enable it? I also read having the HDMI running parallel to the power cord (as I do under a legrand cord kit) can introduce interference, although wouldn't that appear on all formats?
Try turning your sharpness down to zero, tinker with the settings for the other calibration categories. Check to see if what you are seeing is more "grain" than "noise." Many older movies shot on film will show grain which is inherent to the media and you might just now be seeing it with the resolution and the screen size. Look into a 4k calibration software like: https://diversifiedvideosolutions.co...uhdhdr-10.html
Old 05-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #36

Feb 2011

I know a lot of us here are dedicated HT enthusiasts and what I'm about to ask may be considered blasphemy but I looking to get a projector for the bedroom for those times when the main TV in the lounge is in use.

I'm wondering, is it possible to point a projector up to an angled ceiling? Can any image warping be corrected?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors