Best PS Vita Game Deals

Best PS Vita Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Lost Child (PS Vita)
$19.99

Shiren The Wanderer: The Tower Of Fortune And The Dice Of Fate (PS Vita)
$20.49

Dynasty Warriors NEXT (PS Vita)
$23.81

The Legend Of Heroes Trails Of Cold Steel (PS Vita)
$29.99

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games (PS Vita)
$32.72

Shinobido 2: Revenge Of Zen (PS Vita)
$29.99

Muv-Luv Alternative (PS Vita)
$39.99

Punch Line (PS Vita)
$23.72

Death Mark (PS Vita)
$31.85

Bad Apple Wars (PS Vita)
$28.03

Akiba's Beat (PS Vita)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PlayStation Vita and PlayStation Portable

Old 11-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Default [PS Vita] PS4 remote play

I thought this deserved it's own thread.
I don't know yet what this thread may become. I might do some more research and post here tips and tricks. Or maybe a compatibility list of games and apps that can be remote played.
[Show spoiler](I will try to update when I can)

But for now I wanted to share my experience with remote play. A couple of the "Playstation Family" trailers show remote play can connect anywhere there is wifi. I have also seen a couple reviews online that say they were able to get it to work out of area of their PS4, while a few others saying it's spotty.
Last night I went to a friend's house and wanted to show her remote play, and 1hr of trying, no luck

Anyone else have experiences they can share?

*edit
Source - manuals.playstation.net

Quote:
Using remote play via the Internet

You may not be able to use remote play via the Internet depending on your network connection. If this occurs, the following reference information might help you make a connection.

On the PS4™ system's function screen, select (Settings) > [Network] > [Test Internet Connection], and then confirm that you are able to connect to both the Internet and PSNSM.
If your router supports UPnP, enable it on the router.
If your router does not support UPnP, you must adjust the router's port forwarding setting to allow communication to the PS4™ system from the Internet. The port numbers that are used by remote play are 9295 (for TCP), and 9296 and 9297 (for UDP). If these ports are unavailable, it might be possible to use ports 9295~9304 (for TCP and UDP). For information about these settings, refer to the instructions supplied with your router.
If the PS4™ system is connected to the Internet via two or more routers, communication may not work correctly.
*I can't vouch for the security implications opening ports in your network may have.

^This is what I found on the playstation manuals site. I haven't gotten it to work for myself yet so I might still be missing something. As soon as I figure it out or if someone else finds out how, I will update this post.

Last edited by Psybits; 11-30-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Game Compatibility list (work in progress)
[Show spoiler]currently based on user feedback here

Contrast
DC Universe: Online
Knack
Resogun
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Warframe

App Compatibility list (work in progress)
[Show spoiler]currently based on user feedback here

Thanks to ↓ for sharing remote play compatibility info
[Show spoiler]SideEffect34
keb33509
PA_Kid

Last edited by Psybits; 12-06-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

- post reserved in case of future use/update -
Old 11-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
Power Member

Nov 2008
Illinois

I only messed around with Remote Play a little bit so far. It worked well with Resogun. You have to touch the rear touch pad for bombs and throw humans though.

The connection was great in the same room as my PS4 and router, and in the next room. But when I tried to go upstairs with it, it started to lag and ultimately lose connection.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
Special Member

Aug 2011

When you are in the same room it connects directly through your console's wifi, not the router.

@SideEffect - If you want to use it in a different room, then don't try to connect until you are in the room you want to play in. It will decide if it wants to use the console's wifi or your routers based on signal strength.

Last edited by keb33509; 11-21-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:24 AM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideEffect34 View Post
I only messed around with Remote Play a little bit so far. It worked well with Resogun. You have to touch the rear touch pad for bombs and throw humans though.

The connection was great in the same room as my PS4 and router, and in the next room. But when I tried to go upstairs with it, it started to lag and ultimately lose connection.
You can remap all the buttons. I put bombs and throw on triangle and circle.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2008
Newcastle UK PSN:Bageara

Can you play Killzone4 on Vita?
Old 11-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
Special Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageara View Post
Can you play Killzone4 on Vita?
Absolutely!!! It looks stunning!
Old 11-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2008
Newcastle UK PSN:Bageara

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post
Absolutely!!! It looks stunning!
That's great, I'll be using this a lot when my wife asks me to switch the game off so she can watch her soaps I can now carry on playing on the vita
Old 11-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
Special Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageara View Post
That's great, I'll be using this a lot when my wife asks me to switch the game off so she can watch her soaps I can now carry on playing on the vita
Precisely the reason I purchased a vita with my PS4. I couldn't believe how well it actually worked.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
Power Member

May 2007
NYC

Yeah remote play is awesome. I wish it worked anywhere with wifi, but for now it is still great. Especially when I have 3 kids and a wife that all want to use my TV for gaming.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Found something on the ps forum/blog about router settings that might enable adhoc/over internet remote play. I will test later and see if it works and will post result and guide.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
Power Member

May 2007
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psybits View Post
Found something on the ps forum/blog about router settings that might enable adhoc/over internet remote play. I will test later and see if it works and will post result and guide.
Cool if it works please let us know.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

So I went and tried the suggestions I found online (source and tip posted in 1st post). I 1st tried the UPnP setting on my router but still unable to connect via internet (away from home). I later tried to open/forward the suggested ports, still no luck. I might not have done it right though.

I will search online some more tomorrow as other forums also have discussions regarding the matter, and will post back here if I find out anything. If someone can figure it out before then, I will update 1st post and give credit
Old 12-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX

I'm sorry, I can't confirm why you can't get yours to work outside the house, but I can confirm for you that it can work.

I have a Verizon Galaxy S4 (4G LTE) with a wireless hotspot option. At home I have Verizon FIOS with their newest router. My PS4 is on an ethernet cable to router, not the WiFi.

I regularly use my WiFi hotspot to remote play into my PS4. I have no issues at all (other than latency when the 4G signal is crappy). Unfortunately since it worked right from the get go with no issue, I don't have troubleshooting suggestions for those not working. Edit - I suspect that there may be config issues with the wifi the Vita gets on to (which would be hard to consistently control) that are causing the issue more that the home router.

I have played all these in the house and out through Remote Play:
Warframe
DCUO
Knack
Resogun
Contrast

Haven't yet tested:
Killzone
Injustice

There is one issue I'm having - I wonder if others have figured out the solution...

Voice chat.

Does anyone know how/if you can voice chat through the Vita? Do you just plug in a headset to the Vita and use the PS4's voice chat? Or do you need to start up a vita party chat and keep that running in the background on the Vita.

One time I tried joining a PS4 chat invite in the PS4 and that didn't work but the headset stuff has been dodgey so I'm not sure if that was an isolated incident or it's not supported...
Old 12-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

ugh..yeah, I have been reading reddit, neogaf, ign forums and it looks like it's hit and miss.
Some people are able to remote play outside of their house off the bat without having to do any setting outside of linking it to their PS4.

Some people say UPnP works, some people say port forwarding works (with or without setting a static IP for the PS4), some say use DMZ (but not recommended as it is not safe), some suggest turning off the option [Connect Vita directly to PS4] to force the Vita to always go through the internet (haven't tried this yet).

I tried to test some of these other suggestions yesterday..but when my Vita tried signing on to PSN, I suddenly get this message saying "your password is no longer valid" and I get a prompt to create a new password..so now my PS4 at home won't connect online until I get home and update the password on it too

I'll try again this weekend
Old 12-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psybits View Post
ugh..yeah, I have been reading reddit, neogaf, ign forums and it looks like it's hit and miss.
Some people are able to remote play outside of their house off the bat without having to do any setting outside of linking it to their PS4.

Some people say UPnP works, some people say port forwarding works (with or without setting a static IP for the PS4), some say use DMZ (but not recommended as it is not safe), some suggest turning off the option [Connect Vita directly to PS4] to force the Vita to always go through the internet (haven't tried this yet).

I tried to test some of these other suggestions yesterday..but when my Vita tried signing on to PSN, I suddenly get this message saying "your password is no longer valid" and I get a prompt to create a new password..so now my PS4 at home won't connect online until I get home and update the password on it too

I'll try again this weekend
That part isn't a dealbreaker. I have the direct connect option checked on on my PS4 and as I mentioned I'm accessing fine.

I don't know if we have any network engineers/experts here but if someone knows that there are specific setting that a personal wifi hotspot uses that a standard wifi router might not (or vice versa), maybe that would help?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Thanks that's one ruleout..
Yeah hopefully someone would be able to shed some light on this as well.
Or that Sony is able to come up with a more solid solution or comprehensive guide.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011

am I the only one who attempted to watch a Blu-ray on my Vita? LOL
Old 12-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #20
Special Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by West E View Post
am I the only one who attempted to watch a Blu-ray on my Vita? LOL
Did I work? I haven't tried that with mine.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PlayStation Vita and PlayStation Portable