Best SteelBook Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Mothra (Blu-ray)
$11.89
30 min ago
Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Heathers (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.04

X-Men: Trilogy Vol. 2 (Blu-ray)
$20.40
7 hrs ago
Ultra Q: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Yu Yu Hakusho: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$32.99
17 hrs ago
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$33.03

Rock 'N' Roll High School (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Children of the Corn (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Big Trouble in Little China (Blu-ray)
$26.17

X-Men: Trilogy Vol. 1 (Blu-ray)
$20.55

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks > SteelBook Collection Galleries

Old 12-18-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
Special Member

Feb 2015
Texas
Default Steelbook collecting: Open or keep sealed?

Greetings, folks. I am curious about what the community does with their steelbook collection, as far as whether they open their bluray steelbooks or keep them sealed as collector items.

My collection is a mixed bag, I have opened steelbooks and sealed steelbooks. I keep some steelbooks sealed, and I'm honestly not quite sure why. I guess a part of me thinks the collector value will be greater if I keep them sealed, but the other part of me thinks I'm keeping myself from properly enjoying the steelbooks by keeping them sealed.

I never put much thought about having steelbooks sealed or opened until Best Buy had Star Wars: The Force Awakens for $10. I already have a sealed copy, but I am considering purchasing another copy to open and enjoy the artwork. That's when I began to realize that my collector habit might be getting out of control. After all, what's the point of keeping sealed steelbooks if I can't enjoy them by keeping them sealed? Even though I can afford to double dip, that doesn't mean I should. I'm not sure why, I guess the collector/hoarder/ocd in me keeps telling me to keep one sealed.

Anyways, I'm just curious about what other collectors do with their collections. Does anybody else share my same views, or do people open them all and just take special precautions to prevent damage? I don't have a large steelbook collection, mostly just Marvel and DC steelbooks, and a few from my favorite movies, like Scarface, Goodfellas, etc. Most probably aren't rare or collectible, I just collect them because they look cool to me.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2013
South Carolina

Open all mine, any film I buy want to open see the artwork inside and watch. Some may become worth a lot unopened my thing with that tho is this. Use to collect comics had first editions and some rare one. Was always careful to take care of them. Decided a while back to sale them, the comic shop here wouldn't even look through the collection. So now as a collector my self if its on my shelf am going to open it. Really its up to you tho. Do what feels reasonable with any you have.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #3

Oct 2009
Vancouver, BC

I used to open them during my first year of collecting, but realized I mainly collect them for collection and display purposes. I buy non-Steelbook editions to open and watch, and will be continuing to do so with the 4k format. Steelbooks for collection, other editions to watch.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #4

Jun 2016
In a galaxy far, far away...

I open them. I buy movies to watch. The cool packaging is just a nice extra. Not keen on the idea of buying one to keep sealed and another or amaray version to watch. Why buy the same movie twice when I can get another I haven't seen? (Just my opinion obviously)
Thanks given by:
mertz523 (12-20-2016), Undefeatdgaul (06-24-2017)
Old 12-18-2016, 05:46 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Shield Headquarters

You only live once. Buy the movie to watch it. It won't be worth anything when we are not here. Enjoy it while you can.
Thanks given by:
EinCB128 (03-10-2018), jd_from_da_80s (04-18-2017), Keyser Soze. (03-25-2018), L.J. (12-19-2016), ncraft (02-16-2018), rpvee (07-25-2017), Undefeatdgaul (06-24-2017)
Old 12-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Pueblo, CO

I have like 150+ regular and premium steelbooks and I've opened all but two of them. They are typically the sole version of the movie I buy so I pretty much always open them. I don't really plan on reselling any of them and they are, for the most part, all movies I enjoy so why not open them up to watch them.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:23 AM   #7

May 2010
Long Island, NY

Watch them. I understand they are worth more sealed, but you only live once and it's not memorabilia.. you don't get to fully enjoy it. Movies are meant to be watched, the premium packaging is just a bonus IMO
Thanks given by:
L.J. (12-27-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
Special Member

Feb 2015
Texas

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I appreciate it.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:31 AM   #9

Dec 2016
Las Vegas, NV

I leave all sealed movies that way until I go to watch them. I learned this from another collector and this rule seems to make sense. It also helps you keep track of which movies you haven't watched.

Sealed collectibles are always worth more. However, like one forum member mentioned above, steelbooks could end up being like foil cover comics of the '90's. Generally cool but in most cases not worth much. Do you whatever makes you happy considering the questionable future value of steelbooks.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:42 AM   #10
Special Member

Jul 2014
North Carolina

I open them. With DVD I got a little crazy double dipping on a lot of titles and I've been trying my best to avoid that on blu. Since I'm probably only buying a movie once, it's very likely to be a steelbook if the design is good. I just do my best to keep them protected after opening.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:15 PM   #11

Nov 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwidowavenger1964 View Post
You only live once. Buy the movie to watch it. It won't be worth anything when we are not here. Enjoy it while you can.
Yup this.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:59 AM   #12
Special Member

Feb 2015
Texas

Thanks everybody.

I think I'm going to start opening all my steel books from now on, regardless of how collectible I think it might be. I purchased the Target exclusive The Secret Life of Pets steel book on release day as a Christmas gift for my daughter, and when she finally opened it on that morning, it was damaged. The back was bent and the front had a lot of dents. Because of the packaging, I had no idea it was damaged until it was opened. Now Target can't replace it because it's sold out everywhere.

I've also had similar situations receiving damaged steel books, but mostly from Best Buy. For the most part, I've been lucky to get most of them replaced, but at a huge hassle because I live 50-60 minutes away from Best Buy and Target. So the headaches outweigh the pleasure, at least because of my situation, and the fact that they arrive damaged about half the time, if not a little more so.

So after the Christmas gift incident, I guess I have no choice but to open them asap to make sure they're not damaged.

Just to put into perspective how many steel books have arrived damaged from Best buy and Target: The Secret Life of Pets, Ant-Man, Batman v Superman, The Avengers Age of Ultron (twice), Finding Dory, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: Civil War. All those came damaged, out of 13 steel book orders.

Last edited by reneeatworld; 01-02-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:36 AM   #13

Jul 2016
La La Land

I have both open and non open steelbooks, but I decided not to double dip any more so if I purchase the steelbook am going to open it. Then again I know there are some that will have a huge value like the Marvel or Disney steelbooks.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:12 AM   #14
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2008
San Jose, Ca USAwesome!

I have both opened and sealed Steelbooks in my collection as well. If the Steelbook is an import, I'll keep it sealed for sure. The only imported sets (any kind of packaging) that I've ever opened are some editions from China. For US Steelbooks, I may open some but I prefer to keep them sealed and pick up a normal edition of the movie if I can find it for a good price. I think the last one I DD'ed on was Lone Survivor. I think BB might have had the normal version for $9.99 so I grabbed it. Of course I still haven't opened it up and watched it yet.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007
Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeatworld View Post
Thanks everybody.

I think I'm going to start opening all my steel books from now on, regardless of how collectible I think it might be. I purchased the Target exclusive The Secret Life of Pets steel book on release day as a Christmas gift for my daughter, and when she finally opened it on that morning, it was damaged. The back was bent and the front had a lot of dents. Because of the packaging, I had no idea it was damaged until it was opened. Now Target can't replace it because it's sold out everywhere.

I've also had similar situations receiving damaged steel books, but mostly from Best Buy. For the most part, I've been lucky to get most of them replaced, but at a huge hassle because I live 50-60 minutes away from Best Buy and Target. So the headaches outweigh the pleasure, at least because of my situation, and the fact that they arrive damaged about half the time, if not a little more so.

So after the Christmas gift incident, I guess I have no choice but to open them asap to make sure they're not damaged.

Just to put into perspective how many steel books have arrived damaged from Best buy and Target: The Secret Life of Pets, Ant-Man, Batman v Superman, The Avengers Age of Ultron (twice), Finding Dory, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: Civil War. All those came damaged, out of 13 steel book orders.
I usually open them in the parking lot if I buy B&M. I had to return a steel to Target once, then I asked if I could open it there to make sure that one wasn't damaged, and they said I couldn't just open all of them to find an undamaged one. The general manager ended up telling me they didn't want to lose all their stock because most people don't care about stuff like that and won't bother returning dented or scratched steelbooks.

So, returning to Target can be a crapshoot too.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #16

Mar 2015

Open and then place in protective case.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:20 AM   #17
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2008
San Jose, Ca USAwesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapluv View Post
Open and then place in protective case.
That's a good idea...if you can get up the courage to break that seal
Old 02-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #18

Feb 2017

I open almost all of mine. I have a couple numbered ones I keep sealed.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2015
Columbia, SC

I open mine when ready to view then put in a protective sleeve. I used to open them right away to check them out, nowadays I figure if I'm not ready to watch might as well keep them in new condition until I am. If the movie is on netflix or hulu I keep them sealed and wait until my blu is the only way of viewing before i open. Safe to say out of my 300+ steels I probably have about 75-100 steels unopened.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:42 AM   #20

Dec 2010
Lexington, NC
Default unopened

I haven't opened any of the few that I own. But that leaves me with no way to get the Ultraviolet codes. There needs to be some way of redeeming them without opening the box.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks > SteelBook Collection Galleries