Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Aladdin 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.97
6 hrs ago
Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Rocketman 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.72

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman Beyond (Blu-ray)
$79.96

The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Blu-ray Music and High Quality Music

Old 05-26-2017, 08:54 PM   #21
Expert Member

Oct 2012

Since about 2011 I am a huge Kraftwerk-fan and I know all their albums and old recordings by heart. I always listen to fan-videos / -recordings of their concerts on YouTube to hear the differences between each performance.

I just listened to 320kbps MP3s of "the Catalog".
The mixes aren't as good and as clear as the old ones, probably due to the loudness war (compressed and crushed dynamics), even worse than the 2009 remaster of the old recordings, I hope it sounds better on Blu-ray (Dolby Atmos).
And Ralf Hütter (the singer and main Kraftwerker) sounds really tired and exhaused in a few songs (I listened to the english language versions).
The vocals are sometimes taken from the original 70s / 80s multitracks, the rest are new recordings of old Ralf singing.
A few mixes are really disappointing compared to the originals ("Vitamin" for example if you compare it to the Minimum-Maximum mix and to the original or "Spacelab" - which sounded much better when they performed it live), others are surprising ("Metropolis", "Airwaves").
A few mixes are "over-mixed", uninspired and bland with random and sometimes weird and unfitting free-style stuff added (+ sound kinda out of tune a few times compared to the old ones).
A few mixes sound almost more dated than the originals, partly even embarassing, KW-fans will know what I mean.
The new live recordings sometimes sound better (Synths, mix, effects) than the new studio recordings / mixes.

Overall not perfect but still a must-have for Kraftwerk-fans.
What I really like is that they tried to keep the same percussion and drum / bass sounds as back in the days (which were created by Wolfgang Flür), not like "The Mix" (which had more Euro Dance-, EDM-like sounds).
Old 05-26-2017, 11:56 PM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Some thoughts I posted over at the Steve hoffman music forums

Got mine finally delivered afer Amazon shipping thought their local service possibly lost it. It's beeen an ordeal all afternoon.

Needless to say the box set does come already cardboard boxed and then Amazon ships it in their box. Mine was mint condition the box set is massive

The book is heavy! Very high quality I didn't want to touch it except with vinyl power free gloves.

The discs are housed in a nice thick cool case but the disc holders are those bad one that make it hard to remove discs. Once you remove them put them in your own casss is what I'm doing for easier access.

I plan on watching a Decent amount of the first disc tonite with a friend. He has never heard of the group so I think the Atmos and 3D will occupy him.

a few thoughts I've listened to autobahn first track.

First off they claim the Dolby Atmos is 5.1 core but my info has the Atmos at 7.1 which is what I thought it would be. Which is a win win either way.

I'll agree with others it doesn't feel like a live concert at all but as I put it in an earlier post I'd consider it a art installation experience.

The Atmos is very active IMO the audio sounds great. Wonderful multichannel experience even if you have a 5.1 or 7.1 core and no Atmos it should still sound great.

The 3D is nice. It didn't crazy pop out which is what many complain about with 3D movies that no one tries for screen popping effects but so far it features great depth and the cars in Autobahn have many visual touches that make them look like they are coming out of the screen. Video is good. Nice healthy bit rates when needed.

So far I'm loving the Atmos. But again those who just have 7.1 and 5.1 will love it also. I'm sure even at 2.0 stereo it should at least sound great.

More thoughts possibly over night.

Maybe I should make a run to the liquor store! This may be even better with rum. (Never ever did drugs ever) but a few drinks would heighten this "audio visual art installation."
Thanks given by:
Dubstar (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 12:17 AM   #23
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Headphone 3D audio update.

Tested out my bowers and Wilkins wired P7 closed back model thru my receiver and rotated Autobahn between the Two 2.0 options.

The LPCM Stereo 48k 24b

+

3D headphone audio option noted as Dolby Digital Stereo 48k ----

since it is DD that means if I am correct it is compressed audio. It sounds more compressed to me and lacks and airiness that the PCM 2.0 track option has. But hey I don't wanna knock it Kraftwerk at least experimented and gave another audio option. :-)
Old 05-27-2017, 03:03 AM   #24
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

The uk had the 3d blu set for around $100 shipped to the usa for a while until it went up in price
I would never spend $150 on just the blu ray 3d set

Im getting the German cd set + the uk blu ray set for less then $150. Which i feel is an amazing deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaugone View Post
$150.00+ Is it personally delivered by Kraftwerk in person?
Old 05-27-2017, 03:26 AM   #25
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

I originally had the early U.K. Amazon pre order price but I also had a few Amazon GCs burning a hole in my pocket and I was dying to get the set. Although shipping from U.K. To US aim sure the shipping speed may be faster than usual. It weighs a lot A LOT so it is an expensive item to ship. I bet you will have your copy by the end of next week if it has already shipped out.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:53 AM   #26
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

it shipped out already i-parcel on the 24th. tonight it's already in transit to the destination
luckily i am in the USA, or i would be worried about being hit with custom fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post
I originally had the early U.K. Amazon pre order price but I also had a few Amazon GCs burning a hole in my pocket and I was dying to get the set. Although shipping from U.K. To US aim sure the shipping speed may be faster than usual. It weighs a lot A LOT so it is an expensive item to ship. I bet you will have your copy by the end of next week if it has already shipped out.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #27

Sep 2008
Barcelona, Spain

Review Edition 4 BDs + book

http://www.altadefinicionhd.com/comp...e-catalogue-3d
Old 05-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #28
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

it turns out i got the cheaper price on the 8 cd set from Germany after it shipped
so only EUR 38.22 for that. not bad at all
Old 05-31-2017, 04:41 PM   #29
Banned

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred E. Neumann View Post
Since about 2011 I am a huge Kraftwerk-fan and I know all their albums and old recordings by heart. I always listen to fan-videos / -recordings of their concerts on YouTube to hear the differences between each performance.

I just listened to 320kbps MP3s of "the Catalog".
The mixes aren't as good and as clear as the old ones, probably due to the loudness war (compressed and crushed dynamics), even worse than the 2009 remaster of the old recordings, I hope it sounds better on Blu-ray (Dolby Atmos).
And Ralf Hütter (the singer and main Kraftwerker) sounds really tired and exhaused in a few songs (I listened to the english language versions).
The vocals are sometimes taken from the original 70s / 80s multitracks, the rest are new recordings of old Ralf singing.
A few mixes are really disappointing compared to the originals ("Vitamin" for example if you compare it to the Minimum-Maximum mix and to the original or "Spacelab" - which sounded much better when they performed it live), others are surprising ("Metropolis", "Airwaves").
A few mixes are "over-mixed", uninspired and bland with random and sometimes weird and unfitting free-style stuff added (+ sound kinda out of tune a few times compared to the old ones).
A few mixes sound almost more dated than the originals, partly even embarassing, KW-fans will know what I mean.
The new live recordings sometimes sound better (Synths, mix, effects) than the new studio recordings / mixes.

Overall not perfect but still a must-have for Kraftwerk-fans.
What I really like is that they tried to keep the same percussion and drum / bass sounds as back in the days (which were created by Wolfgang Flür), not like "The Mix" (which had more Euro Dance-, EDM-like sounds).
The 2009 remasters are amazing and have tons of dynamic headroom lol. Only a luddite would disagree. This music is not classical, and it has no place with a DR14 across the board. The remasters are DR10-12 ratings. If that isn't good enough nothing will ever be good enough for people that want to nap to their music. It's called adjust your volume knob.

When someone is calling a DR12 record crushed and compressed you know they have no idea what they are talking about whatsoever.

I'm on Hoffman all the time, but some of those people are painful to interact with. And they clearly do not understand engineering of modern music. DR 9-10 is all you really need for a lot of styles of music, and even lower can still sound very good depending on the recording and the mix.

Last edited by Khronikos; 05-31-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Thanks given by:
bigshot (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 10:35 PM   #30
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

I have a question for people who have the box... What sort of audio is on the two supplements discs? In the description it says the supplements are stereo. Are the album versions on there, or is it a 2 channel fold down of the live concert version?
Old 05-31-2017, 10:37 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post
3D headphone audio option noted as Dolby Digital Stereo 48k ----since it is DD that means if I am correct it is compressed audio.
If it's 48k, it's not compressed. The difference between that and the normal stereo track should be phase manipulation to create the headphone 3D effect. Did you notice a binaural sort of sound?
Old 06-01-2017, 05:58 PM   #32
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
I have a question for people who have the box... What sort of audio is on the two supplements discs? In the description it says the supplements are stereo. Are the album versions on there, or is it a 2 channel fold down of the live concert version?
So discs 1 + 2 are titled CONCERT and Discs 3 + 4 are titled FILM. The only difference is the FILM is just the background screen footage being shown only. No clips or band footage.

The audio options are identical as the first 2 discs.

Quote:
If it's 48k, it's not compressed. The difference between that and the normal stereo track should be phase manipulation to create the headphone 3D effect. Did you notice a binaural sort of sound?
Yeah you can tell they were creating a faux sort of multichannel effect for the headphone 3D audio. It is a nice option.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:28 AM   #33
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Got the set from ups tonight and its a whole lot bigger then i expected. Reminds me of the Lawrence of Arabia limited set if i had to put it into perspective
Old 06-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #34
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

This thing is AMAZiNG! I've never been a huge fan of Kraftwerk. They always struck me as Devo with no sense of humor, but this box set has sold me. The visuals are sophisticated and perfectly complement the music. And the mix is one of the best multichannel mixes I've ever heard. Sounds fly around the room and through the middle of the room, and I assume with Atmos over your head too. (I'm 2D and 5.1, so I'm not getting the full impact, but it still blows me away.) Well worth the price.
Thanks given by:
ArnoldLayne56 (01-14-2018), ToEhrIsHuman (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 05:11 PM   #35
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

today, i should be receiving the cd set as well from germany, with all the german songs live
wanted the german blu ray set, but it was way more then I wanted to spend compared to the uk price
Old 06-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #36
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Is there a difference between the Euro CD set sold on amazon UK and the German CD Set? Was just curious because of how they mixed the audio it just seems like every country / region the audio would be identical language wise.

Is the German CD set all sung in German?

Also post some pics if you want of your editions.

a pic of my set when it arrived. It is a really heavy thick box, reminds me of LaserDisc sets etc.

kraft.jpg

Last edited by PowellPressburger; 06-02-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:39 PM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

I don't think there's any difference between the sets. The music goes back and forth between German and English and there isn't a lot of text on the packaging. I couldn't even find a track list.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:59 PM   #38

Oct 2011
Send a message via AIM to photosurrealism Send a message via Yahoo to photosurrealism

Quote:
I don't think there's any difference between the sets. The music goes back and forth between German and English and there isn't a lot of text on the packaging. I couldn't even find a track list.
Tracklist (just one for both sets of discs) is in the booklet (in the left end of the box the BDs are in), one album per page.

I moved the discs out of that package (mostly so I wouldn't damage it) and was going to make regular BD box liners for them- or has someone already done that? I'll share them when I make some.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:15 AM   #39
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

I must admit I don't have an Atmos setup (... yet [I listen to them on my friend's setup]) but listening to the 7.1 soundtrack via my 6.1 setup is stunning, the bass is ultra-deep and literally rattles the wood table that my subwoofer sits on. The panning and placement of the music and voices in the surrounds is simply astonishing.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:36 AM   #40
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

I sampled cd 4 since i saw the blu of it last night and i know songs were in english.
On the German cd 4 no English, only German
I hope this answers your question

I'm also just using a soundbar for the blu ray audio but it's still mind blowing. I really do think this is high up in my blu-rays of the year

Quote:

Last edited by Jr7936; 06-03-2017 at 05:54 AM.
Thanks given by:
PowellPressburger (06-03-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Blu-ray Music and High Quality Music