Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Haunting of Hill House (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Country Music (Blu-ray)
$76.86
19 hrs ago
My Hero Academia: Season Three Part Two (Blu-ray)
$30.74
16 hrs ago
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Patlabor the Mobile Police: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$48.99

Cutie Honey Universe: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99
7 hrs ago
GATE: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.99
1 hr ago
Space Runaway Ideon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Parasyte: The Maxim - Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.99
1 hr ago
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime: Season One Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

Doc Martin: Series 9 (Blu-ray)
$29.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 08-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #41
Special Member

Jun 2012
In a movie

I've now seen the whole season and didn't find it as bad as some here posted. It's certainly not in the Expanse/BSG league, but it isn't unwatchable either, say a 6/10. Especially the first couple of episodes has good cliffhangers.
Mind you, I'm all game with the points like the idiocy of the composition of the crew (wordt part of the show), the unbelievable decisions they sometimes make, the sleep simulator for a 6 month trip and what not.

The premise of the story wasn't too bad. But there's just something with the pacing that is off. And the parts where get to know more about the crew themselves, just don't always feel right. Like the one where Cas and Niko meet, there's just not much there.

And although some actors could have been better, there's nothing wrong with the performances of especially Katee herself, who nailed it. And I really liked Samuel Anderson.

Oh well, we'll see if it gets a second season, which I think I would watch btw. Although we would live in s strange world where the OA gets cancelled and this gets a second season .
Old 09-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
Woodstock Georgia

Just finished it. It was ok, not sure if deserves a second season.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #43
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyslide View Post
Just finished it. It was ok, not sure if deserves a second season.
I'd watch a second season, I didn't think it was as bad as everybody made it out to be... but I wish they'd have plotted the season better. The first few episodes are just "monster of the week" and have little to do with the overall arc, and then that finally started taking shape and the season was half over.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #44
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Aran View Post
Lots of movies and TV shows have potential. They just squander it because they don't know what to do with it, they never intended to do anything with it, or because someone higher up interferes with them.

In this case, I just don't think they're any good at storytelling. They have characters in space on a mission into the unknown, but all the drama and conflict comes from them being idiots or dicks to each other.
Absolutely agree here. I watched a few episodes of this show and have since abandoned it. No good. Kind of boring, most of the characters are extremely unlikeable, especially Katie Sackhoff and as you said....they have no idea what to really do here. Itís set in space. It seems futuristic. But whatís the POINT?

Iím done with it. Enjoy the rest but I suspect the plug will get pulled on this eventually here.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

How does the first season finale function? On the spectrum of closure to cliffhanger, where does it land?
Old 09-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by noirjunkie View Post
How does the first season finale function? On the spectrum of closure to cliffhanger, where does it land?
Closure? There was none. If anything it had more questions.
Thanks given by:
noirjunkie (09-15-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 01:31 AM   #47
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010

I'm not sure why there is so much hate for this. I loved it. Watched it in two sittings and it went fast. I love this kind of style of space adventure. I wish there was more like it. I did watch the Lost In Space remake, awesome. Can't wait for more of that too.

As for where Another Life lands can't really say without ruining the show but left it as a major cliff hanger that left me excited to see what's going to happen next.
[Show spoiler] Because it looked like shit was really going to hit the fan and the first season barely scratched the surface.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:50 AM   #48

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3D View Post
I'm not sure why there is so much hate for this.
Hmmm ...

1) Terrible acting - There are some talented people involved in the show, but I suspect that Another Life will not be included in their "in memorium" reel.
2) Cringe worthy dialogue
3) Character decision-making that would be too stupid for a B-level slasher movie
4) A plot/story that doesn't make any sense
5) Tonal inconsistency - is this a serious sci-fi show or Melrose Place in space? Maybe if they were going for camp, it would work, but clearly, they are not.
6) Characters that are simultaneously boring and unlikable
7) Some of the worst use of "black box" technology since Jeff Goldblum hacked into the alien spaceship in Independence Day

Other than that, can't think of anything.

To each their own :-)
Old 09-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #49
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010

Well everyone has their opinion of what is good or bad and everyone is right and everyone else is wrong lol. Especially when it comes to movies and TV shows. Similar to driving. Everyone on the road in their own mind at least is the only good driver on the road.
Thanks given by:
jd31 (09-17-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows