Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Cyber Monday Deals are Now Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Star Trek 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99
3 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Friday the 13th: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Black Sails: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99

Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Avatar - The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$81.31

Dragon Ball Z: Seasons 1-9 Collection (Blu-ray)
$123.49

The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Mission: Impossible - 6 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$23.12

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 06-02-2018, 04:49 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
DFW TX
Default Thrift store find: Mitsubishi HC5000

Thoughts on this model? Any issues other than it being old?

First off, I have zero knowledge on projectors so I had no clue what model I was looking at when I saw it on the shelf. I took a chance and bought it AS IS for $32 and it works, although the lamp appears to be at the end of it's life.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:32 PM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2012
Missouri

https://www.cnet.com/products/mitsubishi-hc5000/review/

Quote:
The Good Relatively inexpensive for a 1080p projector; accurate color decoding; solid video processing; well-rounded feature package.

The Bad Iris settings are not good enough for dedicated darkened theater setups, and consequently blacks are not as deep as the best 1080p projectors.

The Bottom Line Although stylish and affordable for a 1080p projector, the Mitsubishi HC5000's black level failings prevent it from earning our recommendation.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroK View Post
Thoughts on this model? Any issues other than it being old?

First off, I have zero knowledge on projectors so I had no clue what model I was looking at when I saw it on the shelf. I took a chance and bought it AS IS for $32 and it works, although the lamp appears to be at the end of it's life.
It's too late to ask questions about the TV because you've already bought it (as is), without a warranty. There is nothing you can do about the TV now, except to use it as long as you can, then buy a new one. $32.00 wouldn't be a big loss when the TV does go completely out.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:20 PM   #4

Oct 2010

For only $32, I'd say it is a good opportunity to see if a projector type setup is worth perusing in the future. Most like a large screen, but not all want to deal with the setting up and lighting constraints of going with a projector (or fan noise if close to you). You can start by projecting on a white wall.

A new bulb could cost a few hundred, so play with it, as is, to figure out how you like having a projector. If it is, consider whether it is worth trying to get another bulb out of it, or use it until it dies and plan out what might fit in your future plans.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:32 AM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb View Post
For only $32, I'd say it is a good opportunity to see if a projector type setup is worth perusing in the future. Most like a large screen, but not all want to deal with the setting up and lighting constraints of going with a projector (or fan noise if close to you). You can start by projecting on a white wall.

A new bulb could cost a few hundred, so play with it, as is, to figure out how you like having a projector. If it is, consider whether it is worth trying to get another bulb out of it, or use it until it dies and plan out what might fit in your future plans.
Depending on how old the TV is, it wouldn't be wise to buy a new bulb because, the OP will be investing more money into the TV than what it's actually worth, since he only paid $32.00 for it. Something else may go wrong with the TV shortly.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:46 AM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
It's too late to ask questions about the TV because you've already bought it (as is), without a warranty. There is nothing you can do about the TV now, except to use it as long as you can, then buy a new one. $32.00 wouldn't be a big loss when the TV does go completely out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Depending on how old the TV is, it wouldn't be wise to buy a new bulb because, the OP will be investing more money into the TV than what it's actually worth, since he only paid $32.00 for it. Something else may go wrong with the TV shortly.
it's a projector, every post except yours mentions that it's a projector; why do you keep calling it a tv?
Thanks given by:
octagon (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 04:25 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
DFW TX

So far the only issue has been the message that the lamp needs to be replaced soon. Every time it turns on just fine. The filter on the vent was old so I replaced that. If I go under settings it appears to show the amount of hours logged in on the lamp. I've been watching the Roku through the HDMI port.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #8

Oct 2012

For $32 a 1080p projector with HDMI is a steal.

You could always try to flip it.

I bought a screen that came with a 480p projector for free, I bought the screen for $50 and sold the projector for $90
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors