Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Friends: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
12 hrs ago
Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$22.99
4 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
22 hrs ago
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Doom Patrol: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.55

Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Blu-ray)
$12.99
3 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$36.51
7 hrs ago
Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$110.92

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Movies Anywhere

Old 01-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #1

Oct 2006
UK
Default Redeeming older disk based digital copies - all in SD?

Hi,
I've recently started redeeming the digital copies that came with my Blu-rays.

Are the disk based ones from older titles meant to be in SD only and is there any way to get them upgraded to HD?

Specifically I redeemed Wreck It Ralph and Tangled and both redeemed in SD.

Having looked on the forum and seen some of the spreadsheets that have been produced I believe at one stage Disney Movies Anywhere were giving free upgrades to HD, but this stopped in November 2017.

When I tried to codes in https://redeemdigitalmovie.com/ they weren't recognized so the only way to redeem them was by inserting the disk (I believe there is an xml hack as well).

Short of rebuying the titles to get them in HD, is there any other way to get them upgraded or have I missed the boat on this?

Thanks for your help
Old 01-18-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009

Yes, the disc based digital copy will only be redeemed in SD only. You did miss the automatic upgrade.

What you could do is contact Vudu explaining that you bought the blu-ray version and show proof with photos of the blu-ray case, disc, etc.

It's a little work, but doesn't hurt to try.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:04 PM   #3

Oct 2014

Actually, you need to contact Disney Movie Rewards directly regarding those titles since they are the ones that released those movies. The customer service number for Disney Movie Rewards is 1-866-246-8646. They should be able to transfer you to the department in charge of digital copies. They should be able to assist you with both titles.

By the way, if your digital code came from a regular DVD, then the movie will be in SD. If your digital code came from a Blu-ray DVD, then the movie will be in HD. All HD movies that are purchased or viewed through through iTunes are automatically upgraded to 4K.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireviewmovies View Post
Actually, you need to contact Disney Movie Rewards directly regarding those titles since they are the ones that released those movies. The customer service number for Disney Movie Rewards is 1-866-246-8646. They should be able to transfer you to the department in charge of digital copies. They should be able to assist you with both titles.

By the way, if your digital code came from a regular DVD, then the movie will be in SD. If your digital code came from a Blu-ray DVD, then the movie will be in HD. All HD movies that are purchased or viewed through through iTunes are automatically upgraded to 4K.
Some Blurays came with iTunes XML codes that now redeem in SD. The free HD upgrade is over.
Disney is not part of the itunes 4K upgrade and otherwise not every movie has 4K available yet. Substitute redeemed for viewed above.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireviewmovies View Post

Actually, you are out of date on some of your information.

Movies Anywhere is no longer controlled by the Disney Movie Rewards. Reason why if you redeem the code in Disney Movies Rewards site, it doesn't automatically add the digital movie to your library like it did before.
if you contact Disney Movie Rewards, they are just going to tell you to contact Movies Anywhere directly.
When it first launched, Disney Rewards did handle things. I upgraded my 4k Guardians of Galaxy 2 to UHD by contacting Disney. But now they are considered separate. So forget Disney and just contact vudu or movies anywhere.

For how it redeems, you are correct if it's releases that doesn't have digital copy disc. Blu-ray=HDX, DVD=SD. But now EVERY Disney xml codes (the one that comes with separate digital copy disc) will redeem in SD only regardless if it's from 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray, or DVD.
OP is correct in his research. They stopped doing this back in late last year.
When Movies Anywhere first launched, they upgraded all the SD movies in your iTunes library to HDX (4k where applicable, if you have apple 4ktv) But not anymore.

I've read few post about people contacting Movies Anywhere about upgrading to HDX that was from disc, but got denied. That's why I said contact vudu instead. But now that I think about it, I don't know if those people were trying to upgrade xml code from DVD or blu-ray. (Also now that I'm thinking more, I don't remember if it was case where they denied people trying to upgrade to UHD from 4k release - I forget, it's been awhile since I visited that thread - so maybe it changed again )

So just contact them and see. That's your only way.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #6

Oct 2006
UK

Thanks for your responses.

The films that have redeemed in SD are mostly Disney (although there are some other from Fox, Paramount, etc).

Who do you think I should try and contact - Disney, Apple or Vudu?
As it was a Disney film which offered an SD iTunes copy wouldn't it be Disney or Apple rather than Vudu?
Old 06-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #7

Nov 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFletcher View Post
Thanks for your responses.

The films that have redeemed in SD are mostly Disney (although there are some other from Fox, Paramount, etc).

Who do you think I should try and contact - Disney, Apple or Vudu?
As it was a Disney film which offered an SD iTunes copy wouldn't it be Disney or Apple rather than Vudu?
Hi!
I am curious if you were able to get the HD upgrades somehow?

I just ordered the Toy Story with the Digital Copy disc and I am pretty disappointed to find out it will be only SD...
Old 08-25-2018, 12:29 AM   #8

Dec 2008

I called the Disney Movies Anywhere number that was listed earlier today. I had picked up the Brave 3D combo pack. The digital copy redeemed in SD. The customer service rep was extremely helpful and provided me with an HD code for the movie. It's worth a try.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:55 PM   #9

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocinante67 View Post
I called the Disney Movies Anywhere number that was listed earlier today. I had picked up the Brave 3D combo pack. The digital copy redeemed in SD. The customer service rep was extremely helpful and provided me with an HD code for the movie. It's worth a try.
I was curious about this because Iím contemplating picking up Toy Story 3D. If itís looking like it will redeem only in SD, Iím inclined to just buy a newer digital copy version. Donít like dealing with DMC/DMA people on the phone.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #10

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by homevideogeek View Post
I was curious about this because Iím contemplating picking up Toy Story 3D. If itís looking like it will redeem only in SD, Iím inclined to just buy a newer digital copy version. Donít like dealing with DMC/DMA people on the phone.
The older codes do only redeem in SD now, so a lot of the older Disney sets (like Toy Story 3D) only get you SD. I was fortunate that I got mine sorted out before MA launched, but I've held off on a couple of Disney movies that I don't own yet as a result.
Thanks given by:
homevideogeek (09-21-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Movies Anywhere