Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Cyber Monday Deals are Now Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Jack Reacher 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99
3 hrs ago
Friday the 13th: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99

The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Avatar - The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$81.31

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (Blu-ray)
$3.99
1 hr ago
Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Black Sails: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Home Alone 2-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Die Hard Collection (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Friends: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.23
6 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 07-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1968 View Post
Robert, thank you for all of your information on this projector. I hope I didnít miss if you posted this already, but does it have any horizontal shift capability?
It also has very limited zoom capability impacting its placement flexibility too. This was covered in the 3rd post in this thread and discussed afterwards.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #42
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Good ^ point. The zoom range is 1.2x.

For example to fill a 100" screen you can position the HU80KA anywhere from 113 1/2" to 137". So you have about a 2' range to move the projector by adjusting the zoom on the lens.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:04 PM   #43
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Just received our third allocation. LG's HU80KA is a strong and steady seller.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:12 PM   #44

Sep 2007

Hi Robert, are you able to confirm if this projector can exceed 150 inches diagonal? I have 200 plus inch setup and would to find out definitively. Thanks in advanced.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:58 PM   #45
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Yes, the HU80KA can go to any screen size, but the luminance will not be good when filling a 200" screen.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:51 AM   #46

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
Yes, the HU80KA can go to any screen size, but the luminance will not be good when filling a 200" screen.
Understood. Thanks for your honest reply. I have been following your post and have been deciding on whether or not to pick this projector up.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (07-18-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 12:19 AM   #47
Special Member

May 2011
Seoul, Korea

Probably picking mine up today.
I know that the price point is "high" for what you're getting in terms of quality, but I like that it's a laser projector. Also, I'm all about the portability. I plan on using this for on-the-go quite a bit, and the compact design alone makes it of good value to me.
I have an LG TV already, so I am sure I'll be familiar with the menu settings... and I like the OS, which is nice to have on the projector as well, especially if you plan to use it for a quick set up.
I have a 110" screen, so it should be decent. I am not expecting the best blacks and color reproduction, but I would wager that within the sub-$3000 range, it will be competitive.
But again... the portability!

It's kind of odd to me to see how few reviews there are out there for this projector. I don't get how Projector Central gave it such a high rating, either, considering the unconfirmed rumors about its overall performance.
Looking forward to getting it, though.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 12:46 AM   #48
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

You will love it. The backs can be made to be much better with a gray high contrast screen fabric.
Thanks given by:
KcMsterpce (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #49
Special Member

May 2011
Seoul, Korea

The projector is essentially in line with what I was expecting.

Colors are a little washed out, and the blacks are not sunk into a deep abyss of darkness... but it certainly provides a "cinematic" viewing vibe. Once I spent a couple/few hours switching between "Pacific Rim 2" and "Logan", I got accustomed to the lack of color clarity, and it was easier to get used to the more "analog" kind of experience of sitting a few rows up front in a typical movie theater.
Perhaps a better screen would help make the blacks deeper, and the colors richer.

This is no Laser IMAX screen, but it is up there with an average, or even slightly above average, movie theater screen.

I would like a little more brightness, and some deeper blacks. I won't say I'm disappointed with it. It is pretty much what I anticipated. If I have a friend who's never seen a movie on my OLED first, they would surely be happy seeing a movie on my LG HU80KA.

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 07-19-2018 at 11:58 PM.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #50
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Thanks for the initial review!

May I very respectfully say it's not a lower gain screen that would help make the blacks or color saturation. You 110" 1.1 is a good gain for low ambient light viewing. The recommended screen would be a high contrast gray material to get the very best results from LG's HU80KA laser projector.

The single best element for any front projection system is to make the room as absent of light and reflection as possible. So a perfect theater environment is blacked out and is wrapped in black Duvetyne. Now I don't expect you would build your room to those specs, but just wanted to illustrate what the very best projection system room would be so you can get as close as possible to achieving this goal.

If you can control the lighting and reflections from light colored walls and ceiling the best out of the box picture mode is "Technicolor".
Thanks given by:
KcMsterpce (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #51
Special Member

May 2011
Seoul, Korea

I understand that. I have been looking into going the projector route since 2005, but then 1080p came along, and then 4k pushed itself forward... and I have been waiting for HDR and other conditions to match a good price point as well as other factors. I've been reading up on how to get the best lighting/room conditions for years. I have visited countless stores that have projectors set up, and have talked to the employees and projector owners about how they set up their stuff, etc...
I understand the best conditions possible includes no reflective light surfaces (black walls and ceiling, not white). However, my room has no ambient light. I have looked into the grey material screens, and I don't have that (for now). Regardless, I am still certain that I would get nowhere near the quality of what can be had with my TV. Again, I'm not going to make a direct comparison from one display to the other, that would be unfair.
In a perfect world, I'd own a house, and have my room made specifically for a home theater. However, I don't, so I am stuck with what I have available to me.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (07-19-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 02:50 AM   #52

Sep 2011
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
Thanks for the initial review!

May I very respectfully say it's not a lower gain screen that would help make the blacks or color saturation. You 110" 1.1 is a good gain for low ambient light viewing. The recommended screen would be a high contrast gray material to get the very best results from LG's HU80KA laser projector.

The single best element for any front projection system is to make the room as absent of light and reflection as possible. So a perfect theater environment is blacked out and is wrapped in black Duvetyne. Now I don't expect you would build your room to those specs, but just wanted to illustrate what the very best projection system room would be so you can get as close as possible to achieving this goal.

If you can control the lighting and reflections from light colored walls and ceiling the best out of the box picture mode is "Technicolor".
My HU80KA arrived the other day and Iím enjoying it so far. I have mine in a room with no ambient light, would you recommend a gray screen (say, .95) for this type of environment as well? Or something else?
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 03:00 AM   #53
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Congratulations on your HU80KA purchase!

Yes, it's best to pair LG's HU80KA with a high contrast gray screen to improve the black level. You don't need any gain and it's hard to find a gray fabric without gain.

I like Da-Lite screen fabrics for your application. Check out the High Contrast Day-Mat .8 gain.
Thanks given by:
Shawn1968 (07-26-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 02:02 AM   #54
Special Member

May 2011
Seoul, Korea

After spending about 40 hours using the projector, and tweaking/refining settings like a crazy person, I am warming up to it more.
Sure, the blacks are not a creamy miasma of darkness, but the color reproduction on HDR is pretty decent. I have issues with the tone mapping on several titles (catalog titles, mostly), and maybe LG might fix that in an update (?). Additionally, I find that Dynamic Contrast (DC) with HDR is helpful, but some of the visual issues with highlights on older HDR titles are hindered by the use of DC. Without DC enabled, though, HDR color is quite flat and lifeless.

This projector is pretty good overall. I have grown into it, and will keep working on establishing an even firmer relationship as I learn more about its strengths and weaknesses.
Around mid-September, I will probably get a high contrast grey screen as well. I plan to use the current 110" screen frame I have as a mount to place the new screen over it.
I am restricted with online purchases, though. I basically have to use Amazon. Electronics in Korea have a 30-60% markup compared to the U.S., so I would rather purchase online. Do you have any knowledge or experience with the Sliver Ticket STR-169110-HC screen?
I would wager that a high contrast grey screen will probably help balance the bloom/noise issues on older movies, since the contrast on the projector itself can be reduced... thus, allowing a more "natural" visual output.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 12:12 PM   #55
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Nice write-up.

I don't know that screen, but from the brief description is should be a good performer when paired with LG's HU80KA.
Thanks given by:
KcMsterpce (07-30-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 12:04 AM   #56

Dec 2018
Default Confused/concerned new owner

My HU80KA will be arriving tomorrow by mail and I have been reading about the unit and it's performance.

Are the colors really washed out? I've read that the blacks aren't going to be as deep given that it is a laser and not a bulb type projector. But I was hoping the colors were going to be impressive.

This is my first projector. I bought it for my bedroom given it's portable form factor.

A question for anyone who can and/or willing answer and pardon the "noob-ness"(is that a term?) of it:

I currently have grey walls. Bedrooms are a slight darker grey than the living area. Will this project well or should I still get a screen? I know screen would be ideal but have read some interesting stuff about grey walls and laser projectors.

Also any tips on the menu settings of the device to get the best picture are welcomed and most appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-28-2018, 04:29 AM   #57
Special Member

May 2011
Seoul, Korea

Try it without a screen first if you'd like. It wouldn't hurt to try.
If you decide to get a screen (usually the better option), don't buy a white screen...

Get a grey screen. Blacks are much better.
Overall, I have a love/hate with this damned projector, but it has enough going for it to make up for not looking as beautiful as bulb projectors in the same price range.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #58

Dec 2018

Thanks for replying and for the info!

Do you mind sharing more on what you dislike/hate about it?

The other option I was considering was the epson 5040UBe - however, the power supply is failing on those units (known issue). Read tons of complaints regarding it. So that was a major dealbreaker.

LG is set to release a new CineBeam ULTRA short throw 4K unit (model HU85L). More details are expected to be released at the CES 2019 event. Perhaps, If I don't like this one, I can return (yay amazon!) and order the newer model.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:17 AM   #59
Special Member

May 2011
Seoul, Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlNYC View Post
Thanks for replying and for the info!

Do you mind sharing more on what you dislike/hate about it?

The other option I was considering was the epson 5040UBe - however, the power supply is failing on those units (known issue). Read tons of complaints regarding it. So that was a major dealbreaker.

LG is set to release a new CineBeam ULTRA short throw 4K unit (model HU85L). More details are expected to be released at the CES 2019 event. Perhaps, If I don't like this one, I can return (yay amazon!) and order the newer model.
Well, it's an astoundingly good price for a laser bulb projector. That's where most of the cost comes in. With that, you get:
- extremely quick load up time at full brightness and color
- very long lasting bulb, that you never have to replace
- it helps with the weight, and size of the projector

It also has some great video options, but it won't compete in actual color and black levels that you'd get from a bulb projector at the same price. But those will be louder, heavier, and if you use it a lot, replacing the bulb can be a little costly (but honestly, it takes an average user probably 2-4 years before they have to replace it).

There's a give and take for anything, but if you want pure video performance, at the same price point, don't get the LG HU80KA.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:35 PM   #60

Dec 2018

So I received the unit..

I like it (not loving it yet as I'm still figuring it out), however I do notice a couple things: Image quality and brightness is noticeably different with the mirror than it is when compared if the laser was hitting the surface directly. Image is less bright and slightly less sharp. I recall reading that with use of the mirror, there is a 4% loss of brightness and slight degrade of image quality. Do you notice that as well?

Also, I recall reading with using keystone, you can lose up to 30% of resolution of the image. This was said a few years ago as a general statement (I think by cannon or epson - lens shift comparison statement) about projectors and not for any particular make or model. Is this still true? I'm afraid to use it. I find that it's hard to get a perfect straight image at times with the mirror as it can be slightly crooked at times and you have to play with it.

I do notice the picture can be beautiful at times.. oddly enough, I find the picture to be the most clear and vivid when pointed directly at my white ceiling without the mirror. Could be because of the white background and it being a direct projection without the mirror? My walls in the bedroom are a darker grey.

thanks
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Tags
hu-80k, hu-80ka, lg laser projector, value electronics