Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
3 hrs ago
Star Trek 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Jack Reacher 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99
14 hrs ago
Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.27

Friday the 13th: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Dragon Ball Z: Seasons 1-9 Collection (Blu-ray)
$123.49

The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Avatar - The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$81.31

Boyz n the Hood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
7 hrs ago
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 04-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #81

Sep 2013

Anyone here have the 5040ube with the wireless HDMI , just wondering how reliable it is. will eventually be getting the 5050 and trying to decide. IOgear just came out with a new 60Ghz version of wireless that is supposed to be interference free.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #82

Feb 2019
Rhode Island, USA

Has anyone been able to compare the 5050 with the 5040? Worth the extra money? There is a YouTube review out there but the reviewer is looking at it in a bright room projected on a bare wall.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:26 AM   #83

Apr 2012
Los Angeles

I've had the 5040UB since it came out, projecting onto a 92" 16:9 screen and a 120" 235:1 screen and I'm very happy. At the time the nearest competitor with true 4K was a Sony for twice the price.

With good 4K at 120", the picture is crisp, colors look accurate and the shadow detail is great. Blade Runner 2049, Sicario, Fury, The Martian all look amazing.

It also does a hell of a good job upscaling 1080P. The cleaned up transfer of Jaws looks like it was shot yesterday.

I've had three projectors and been impressed by then all, but this one on a 120" screen is jaw dropping. I tell no lie, my jaw dropped.

I have zero regrets. If 4K arrives at a reasonable price and I see a marked difference, I'll sell the Epson and make the leap. I'd rather have 'close to 4K' now than wait a year for the 'true experience.'

But... each to their own.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:45 PM   #84

Feb 2012
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post
Well, since this thread is back, I'll give an update to my previous posts from August. I ended up returning the 4000 and getting a Refurbished 5030UB from Epson for $1100. I've decided to wait for 4K technology to mature a little more in the projector market, and I'll still have good 3D capabilities with the 5030, which I needed to keep my large 3D Blu-ray collection relevant. I just didn't trust the 5040UB with all it's power supply issues to invest in one of those.

Has there been any word at all yet on the 5050? I haven't been paying attention to the new model releases lately.
How has your refurb held up? I bit the bullet on a 5040UB refurb on Epson's site for $1150. It was just to good of a deal not to try.

I'm going to use it like crazy for the first two weeks, if I notice any issues I'll send it back for a refund. Ideas on what to look for aside from power loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I've had the 5040UB since it came out, projecting onto a 92" 16:9 screen and a 120" 235:1 screen and I'm very happy. At the time the nearest competitor with true 4K was a Sony for twice the price.

With good 4K at 120", the picture is crisp, colors look accurate and the shadow detail is great. Blade Runner 2049, Sicario, Fury, The Martian all look amazing.

It also does a hell of a good job upscaling 1080P. The cleaned up transfer of Jaws looks like it was shot yesterday.

I've had three projectors and been impressed by then all, but this one on a 120" screen is jaw dropping. I tell no lie, my jaw dropped.

I have zero regrets. If 4K arrives at a reasonable price and I see a marked difference, I'll sell the Epson and make the leap. I'd rather have 'close to 4K' now than wait a year for the 'true experience.'

But... each to their own.
This is good to hear. I'm upgrading from a BENQ HT2050 which is a great projector, but I have a few issues with it. The two biggest are I want deeper black levels and even after 2+ years of owning it, I still have issues with the rainbow effect. My screen is only 100" so I'm sure it will be pretty sharp.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:43 PM   #85
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
How has your refurb held up? I bit the bullet on a 5040UB refurb on Epson's site for $1150. It was just to good of a deal not to try.
Nice deal, That's the same price I paid for the 5030UB refurb! My projector has been working flawlessly since I got it, I have about 300 hours on it so far. I just got done marathoning the entire Battlestar Galactica remake series to my next-door neighbors over the last two months, 75 hour long episodes, and we had no viewing problems with the projector. Looks good! My only complaint is the 3D RF glasses suck because they are rechargable, and the batteries don't last long when sitting mostly unused over a few years. I bought half a dozen glasses off ebay that were only about 3 years old and the rechargable batteries were already stone dead, they wouldn't hold a charge, so they all had to be returned. The 5010's 3D IR glasses with the easily replaceable coin batteries were so much more durable and reliable.
Thanks given by:
Mudfrog (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 11:11 PM   #86

Feb 2012
Virginia

Quote:
Nice deal, That's the same price I paid for the 5030UB refurb! My projector has been working flawlessly since I got it, I have about 300 hours on it so far. I just got done marathoning the entire Battlestar Galactica remake series to my next-door neighbors over the last two months, 75 hour long episodes, and we had no viewing problems with the projector. Looks good! My only complaint is the 3D RF glasses suck because they are rechargable, and the batteries don't last long when sitting mostly unused over a few years. I bought half a dozen glasses off ebay that were only about 3 years old and the rechargable batteries were already stone dead, they wouldn't hold a charge, so they all had to be returned. The 5010's 3D IR glasses with the easily replaceable coin batteries were so much more durable and reliable.
I already have rechargeable 3d glasses for my Benq, I believe they use the same kind. The projector arrives tomorrow so I need to torture test this thing to ensure it lasts.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:17 AM   #87

May 2008

Epson produce great projectors, their current line of projectors are the second generation to employ their pixel shift technology.

However as I love Epson Projectors having previously owned projectors from Panasonic, Sony and Epson, I've had the opportunity to look at Sony's native 4K projectors and they are very impressive, I've viewed one of the latest Epson Pixel Shift projectors and I have to say it is an impressive product, but my heart hangs heavy as Sony and JVC continue to produce native 4K projectors.

Epson needs to get their act together and start producing native 4K projectors, therefore I'm not willing to jump from a 1080p projector to a projector with pixel shift technology
I may as well jump straight to a Sony which is native 4K as much as I love Epson I'm not going to buy another Epson projector until they produce a native 4K product.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #88

Feb 2012
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfleet Officer View Post
Epson produce great projectors, their current line of projectors are the second generation to employ their pixel shift technology.

However as I love Epson Projectors having previously owned projectors from Panasonic, Sony and Epson, I've had the opportunity to look at Sony's native 4K projectors and they are very impressive, I've viewed one of the latest Epson Pixel Shift projectors and I have to say it is an impressive product, but my heart hangs heavy as Sony and JVC continue to produce native 4K projectors.

Epson needs to get their act together and start producing native 4K projectors, therefore I'm not willing to jump from a 1080p projector to a projector with pixel shift technology
I may as well jump straight to a Sony which is native 4K as much as I love Epson I'm not going to buy another Epson projector until they produce a native 4K product.
I did a comparison last night, using a 4K copy of Fantastic Beasts and where to find them. With my BenQ and Darbee, it looks great, but with the 5040UB, it blows it out of the water. It has a much crisper image, better blacks and colors. For me this was a tremendous upgrade. I hear pixel shifting is pretty close to native 4K on Projectors, comparing it to my 4K tv, it's real close. I'm stoked.

I don't want to see a native 4k, I need to be happy with this unit
Old 08-27-2019, 06:42 PM   #89

Apr 2013
Milwaukee, WI

Hoping to pick up the 5050UB in a few weeks but concerned with it only having 2 HDMI inputs. Need at least 3. Is there a work around to this?
Old 08-27-2019, 07:30 PM   #90
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

The best solution is to have a capable receiver or processor that has HDMI 2.0B inputs and outputs. Another solution is to buy an HDMI 2.0B switch that would have 1 in and two or more outputs.

Great projector for the best price/performance.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:48 PM   #91
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicDeCocco4 View Post
Hoping to pick up the 5050UB in a few weeks but concerned with it only having 2 HDMI inputs.
Did Epson finally announce the 5050UB for the US market? I haven't been following the projector threads since January this year. Still paying off my 5030UB refurb with 24 month 0% financing, I've got the $1100 purchase price about half-way paid off, had it for just about a year now, and it's been working flawlessly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I don't want to see a native 4k, I need to be happy with this unit
I'd actually prefer upgrading to the 5050 over a 4k unit, as 3D is still of way more interest to me than 4K, and at least the pixel-shift Epsons still do 3D. I've got almost 200 3D movies that would be worthless to me without having an Epson 3D projector to play them through.

Last edited by Girls With Guns; 08-27-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:01 PM   #92
Special Member

May 2011
Seoul, Korea

Quote:
Did Epson finally announce the 5050UB for the US market? I haven't been following the projector threads since January this year. Still paying off my 5030UB refurb with 24 month 0% financing, I've got the $1100 purchase price about half-way paid off, had it for just about a year now, and it's been working flawlessly...

I'd actually prefer upgrading to the 5050 over a 4k unit, as 3D is still of way more interest to me than 4K, and at least the pixel-shift Epsons still do 3D. I've got almost 200 3D movies that would be worthless to me without having an Epson 3D projector to play them through.
The 5050UB is awesome. Yes, it's available in the US (since May or June).
The 3d is excellent on it.
The end.
Thanks given by:
Girls With Guns (08-28-2019), Robert Zohn (08-28-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 08:17 PM   #93

Feb 2012
Virginia

Quote:
Which projector are you using? The 3D on the 5040UB is horrible. It was 10x better on my old BENQ HT2050.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:41 PM   #94
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012

Question for owners, how do these Epson pixel shift/HDR numbers cope with Dolby Vision? I'm very happy downscaling 4k at the moment, but Dolby Vision has 'quirks' on mine. ( eg Using an Oppo, so the frame rate is locked to 60p with DV titles).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors