Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

$14.99

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.80

Passengers 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Ghostbusters 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Polar Express 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.74

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Abominable 3D (Blu-ray)
$36.00

Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.36

Long Day's Journey Into Night 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.86
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Old 08-07-2019, 03:04 AM   #1

Mar 2017
Cool ATSC 3.0

I heard the ATSC 3.0 standard will have 3D by using the internet to deliver the second eye. That would be good except for one thing: My internet at its fastest for HOME devices like TVs is 1.6 Mb/s in 400 kb/s out.

Maybe the ATSC 3.0 standard should be a flexable standard, so that if the original production was in 2160p, 30 bit color, Dolby Atmos, had closed captions in every language in the world, an audio track in every language, including a track in EACH language for the blind, and 120 Hz x 2 Eye, why is 3D the first thing that always gets pushed to the net?

Thereís not enough bandwidth in the TV signal for all that, so if you have the bandwidth, you can have a 2160p 30 bits color Dolby Atmos in any language, either ormal or for the blind, , CC in any language, ad 120 Hz x 2 eye.

But what if you have less? And what if a TV show producer and director thinks itís more vital to be in 3D than to have 30 bit color, or 2160p? Maybe the director thinks the least valuable asset is frame rate, then they can drop it down to 30 Hz x 2 Eye.

If t should be dymanc enough do that the low bandwidth gets 3d in the programs that the producers and directors say SHOULD be seen in 3D,. I know enough shows will prefer 30 bit color, or 2160p, or 120 Hz, or whatever over 3d,a nd undertand I wonít see THOSE shows. But a unvrsal banishment of 3D oto the internet is ot hte best move.

But itís supposed to allow for 2D compatibility. Well so is this:

An Alternate Frames mode that can be locked down from 30 Hz x 2 eye, (or 60 hz x 2 eye) to 30 Hz x 1 eye or 60 Hz x 1 eye either by hitting the 3D/L/R/DC (DC is directorís choice) button, or if the TV is too old, itís 2D and gives you the Directorís choice of eye in the x 1 eye mode.

Until the whole nation can get get unlimited home based internetfor one low price, then thereís no way 'll stnad for this when there are other ways.

unfortunately, what percentage has enoguh bandwidth for a sceond eye via net? Probalby quite a it, because I get few hits on 56ok.org #BandwidthDesert
Old 08-07-2019, 02:24 PM   #2

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

You really should do some homework before you make these inaccurate types of posts.

There are two methods of providing 3D over ATSC 3.0. You have only touched on one.

http://www.atsc.org/wp-content/uploa...m_highlight=3D
Thanks given by:
Paul H (08-08-2019), RonAlam (08-07-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #3

Mar 2017

Yes @Lee_A_Stewart , you said the first method was second eye via internet.

Now I don’t have any degree behind an incomplete college education, but is the second method a way to have 3D signals without requiring a speed of internet faster than 1.5 Mb/s in 400 kb/s out?

Does THAT use alternate frames and have a lockout in a selectable 2D mode/ automatically in older 2D TVs? Or is there some other method (the non-internet method) of making a 2d compatible 3D using ATSC 3.0?

If you want audio in Apocalypto’s ancient Mayan in audio for the blind (trying to find the most obscure language spoken today in the real world without offending anyone alive today) when broadcast in in the United States, on any movie other than Apocalypto, , then yeah, that should be on the internet. But when showing Avatar, one of the best examples of a great movie in 3D that loses a lot in 2D, the broadcast should be in 3D for those with 3D TV and no internet, but 2D compatible, so there’s no complaints like the Super Bowl
Old 08-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #4

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Cripes! STOP pushing your agenda! Now is your chance to learn something. Here are 29 PDFs that deal with ATSC 3.0's 3D via ATSC NRT which DOESN'T use the internet.

https://www.atsc.org/search-results/...=10&zoom_and=0
Old 08-17-2019, 07:07 PM   #5

Mar 2017
Cool Atsc 3.0

As I said again, a lot of technobabble that makes sense to some people.May I have a quick description of what the 3D NRT standards is?

If it's what I said that it was an alternate frame standard that locks out the "auxiliary eye" and presents it in 2D, that's EXACTLY what I've been advocating, a way to add 3D into a broadcast wihtout stepping on the toes of 2D watchers. The way 5.1, and closed captions, and foreign languages are now.

Even if the format were to be alternate frames, there was no way to lock out the other eye on non 3D TVs until ATSC 3.0 has been proposed. Side-bv-side / top-and-bottom, alternate rows, alternate columns, or checkerboarding would have all been awful to convert from 3D to 2D.

Probably the easiest standard is to cut the frame rate in half, (especially when retro TV stations on digitial OTA have a Hz rating of 30 natively, and add a new meta tag of "x 2 eye" so a standard TV that ignores the "x 2 eye" metatag of a 30 Hz x 2 eye broadcast would read it as a 30 Hz (with an implied x 1 eye),and that is probably the easiest thing to do to make a 2D-compatible 3D.

And it's passive so, just like a B/W TV just ignores the color signal, only the "main eye" will be seen by an older TV and just ignores the "helper eye" data as junk. Sort of like undecoded closed captions, or undecoded Dolby 5.1.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #6

Mar 2017

The links are to technical manuals with a lot of specialized jargon and visual symbolism that might not be understood by me and others who aren't college electronic theorists. But i have decent instincts.

I believe the 2 best ways to make 3d succeed in the USA is to a) make 3d 2d compatible to the point that people don't compain they have to upgrade to 3d or buy a separate 3d-to-2d converter just to keep the tv working. And not be forced to watch 3d shows in 3d all the time. And the other thing is to make any tv in the market a 3dtv using an external adapter, kind of like the Surround sound model. With an external shutter 3d adapter, any tv in the world isxautomatically a 2d, and ANY tv can be a 3d tv.

My dad missed 3d by one year. The tv is etill lasting. And now there's no 3d tv available.

Do you sell surround soundcwith a TV? No. Ofher than convenience, did anyone buy a TV/Beta/VHS/DVD combo and feel they had top of the line of all componets? No. So what good is limiting 3d to the most expensive/highest ping models? Separate the 3d from the physical TV and you will have plenty more options.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology