Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79

Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Twin Peaks: The Television Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Suspiria (Blu-ray)
$69.99
43 min ago
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$21.80
2 hrs ago
Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

South Park: Seasons 1-5 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India

Old 06-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #21

Feb 2010

I remember seeing 'Ultra Stereo' on an old poster of HAHK way back. IMDB also confirms that the sound mix was Ultra Stereo.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110076/
Old 06-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #22
Power Member

Jan 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludhound View Post
I remember seeing 'Ultra Stereo' on an old poster of HAHK way back. IMDB also confirms that the sound mix was Ultra Stereo.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110076/
i dont trust imdb's info for old movies its sometimes unreliable but u trust you seeing this on the poster........newayzzz thx for the info.......
Old 06-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #23
Banned

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyansh View Post
i didnt find anything saying that this particular movie was recorded in ultra stereo.......wats ur source of info>>>>??
I was hoping you would take my word for it, for there is not much on the internet other than the 'imdb' credits to back up what I say. But, nevertheless the fact remains that 'Hum Aapke Hain Kaun' was released only in 'Ultra Stereo' and not 'Dolby Stereo'. '1942 A Love Story' released in 1993, was the first Hindi film to be released with 'Dolby Stereo' and that release was limited to only one Dolby Stereo print in Bombay (it became Mumbai much later). I had actually very strongly contemplated travelling to Bombay just to see the film in 'Dolby Stereo'. Coming back to 'Hum Aap Ke Hain Kaun' and 'Ultra Sound. Trust Rajshri to select the cheaper of the two available surround sound options back then, namely 'Ultra Stereo' & 'Dolby Stereo'. Rajshri films had a long list of pre-conditions for theaters to be able to screen 'Hum Aapke Hain Kaun'. The foremost of these conditions was that they had to get 'Ultra Stereo' equipment installed as a pre-condition to screening 'Hum Aap Ke Hain Kaun'. Considering that they limited the initial release even in a city such as Delhi, to just 'three' (or four) prints in the first week of release, made their job of ensuring 'Ultra Stereo' compatibility relatively simple. Ofcourse, the massive and unprecedented success of the film, made it much easier for other theaters to take the plunge into 'Ultra Stereo'. In any case even at it's peak, the film was screened on a very limited number of screens. But, inspite of the huge success of 'Hum Aapke Kaun', 'Ultra Stereo' failed to make it's mark in Bollywood, just like it failed to do so in Hollywood. Ofcourse, the huge successs of another iconic film, 'Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge' may have had a lot to do with this. Not to mention the fact that Dolby had far more marketing muscle and also the fact that almost all Hollywood films, atleast 'A grade' Hollywood films were all in 'Dolby Stereo' and had been so for a long time.

PS: I have found some circumstantial evidence pointing towards the fact that 'Hum Aapke Hain Kaun' was released in 'Ultra Stereo'.
If you follow the link to the website 'SATYAMSHOT', it has a news piece reproduced from 2007 on 'Sangeet Cinema' in Hyderabad. The following are seperate quotes from the text of the news piece:
Quote:
"Constructed in 1969, the cinema hall that has been synonymous with quality entertainment being the first to install Ultra Stereo Optical Sound in 1994, Digital Theatre System in 1995 and later the Xenon Lamp Projection with Platter System."
Quote:
"Hollywood’s “Camelot” was the first film screened in the theatre and Bollywood blockbuster ‘Hum Aapke Hain Kaun’ released in 1994 was screened for one year in morning shows!"
If you combine the two quotes, focusing on the portions in bold, you can see that the theater installed 'ultra stereo' the same time as it was showing 'Hum Aapke Hain Kaun'.

SATYAMSHOT - 'Hyderabad’s erstwhile Sangeet cinema.'

Some more circumstantial proof, this time from the official 'Rajshri Productions' website:
Rajshri Productions - The Highlights of Hum Aapke Hain Koun..!
Quote:
Release with Stereo-Optical Prints

Hum Aapke Hain Koun..! was theatrically released on August 5, 1994 with stereo optical prints for the first time in India.
Considering that '1942 A Love Story' had already been released a year earlier in 'Dolby SR', they must obviously be referring to a different sound format. Also, I am sure if it were 'Dolby Stereo', Dolby would have insured that proper credit was given, instead of just 'stereo optical'.

Finally some 'irrefutable' evidence, which atleast eliminates any doubt of the film having 'Dolby Stereo' sound. The defense rests. Case closed.

Last edited by Justice4All; 06-18-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:52 AM   #24
Power Member

Jan 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice4All View Post
I was hoping you would take my word for it, for there is not much on the internet other than the 'imdb' credits to back up what I say. But, nevertheless the fact remains that 'Hum Aapke Hain Kaun' was released only in 'Ultra Stereo' and not 'Dolby Stereo'. '1942 A Love Story' released in 1993, was the first Hindi film to be released with 'Dolby Stereo' and that release was limited to only one Dolby Stereo print in Bombay (it became Mumbai much later). I had actually very strongly contemplated travelling to Bombay just to see the film in 'Dolby Stereo'. Coming back to 'Hum Aap Ke Hain Kaun' and 'Ultra Sound. Trust Rajshri to select the cheaper of the two available surround sound options back then, namely 'Ultra Stereo' & 'Dolby Stereo'. Rajshri films had a long list of pre-conditions for theaters to be able to screen 'Hum Aapke Hain Kaun'. The foremost of these conditions was that they had to get 'Ultra Stereo' equipment installed as a pre-condition to screening 'Hum Aap Ke Hain Kaun'. Considering that they limited the initial release even in a city such as Delhi, to just 'three' (or four) prints in the first week of release, made their job of ensuring 'Ultra Stereo' compatibility relatively simple. Ofcourse, the massive and unprecedented success of the film, made it much easier for other theaters to take the plunge into 'Ultra Stereo'. In any case even at it's peak, the film was screened on a very limited number of screens. But, inspite of the huge success of 'Hum Aapke Kaun', 'Ultra Stereo' failed to make it's mark in Bollywood, just like it failed to do so in Hollywood. Ofcourse, the huge successs of another iconic film, 'Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge' may have had a lot to do with this. Not to mention the fact that Dolby had far more marketing muscle and also the fact that almost all Hollywood films, atleast 'A grade' Hollywood films were all in 'Dolby Stereo' and had been so for a long time.

PS: I have found some circumstantial evidence pointing towards the fact that 'Hum Aapke Hain Kaun' was released in 'Ultra Stereo'.
If you follow the link to the website 'SATYAMSHOT', it has a news piece reproduced from 2007 on 'Sangeet Cinema' in Hyderabad. The following are seperate quotes from the text of the news piece:
If you combine the two quotes, focusing on the portions in bold, you can see that the theater installed 'ultra stereo' the same time as it was showing 'Hum Aapke Hain Kaun'.

SATYAMSHOT - 'Hyderabad’s erstwhile Sangeet cinema.'

Some more circumstantial proof, this time from the official 'Rajshri Productions' website:
Rajshri Productions - The Highlights of Hum Aapke Hain Koun..!
Considering that '1942 A Love Story' had already been released a year earlier in 'Dolby SR', they must obviously be referring to a different sound format. Also, I am sure if it were 'Dolby Stereo', Dolby would have insured that proper credit was given, instead of just 'stereo optical'.

Finally some 'irrefutable' evidence, which atleast eliminates any doubt of the film having 'Dolby Stereo' sound. The defense rests. Case closed.
phew........hats offf to you........!!
Old 07-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #25

Dec 2009

is there any news on whether hum aapke hain koun will be released?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #26
Expert Member

Feb 2013
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh93 View Post
is there any news on whether hum aapke hain koun will be released?
I guess it should be released in 2014.

Special features :
Digital Mastering
Interviews
Making of HAHK

Old 11-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Johannesburg - South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I guess it should be released in 2014.

Special features :
Digital Mastering
Interviews
Making of HAHK

[Show spoiler]

Which company will be releasing this?
I got really excited the last time round, so i would prefer to wait for something official.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #28
Expert Member

Feb 2013
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrat_Boy View Post
[/SPOILER]

Which company will be releasing this?
I got really excited the last time round, so i would prefer to wait for something official.
Possibility is there but not sure when, Ultra owns the rights of HAHK.

Rajshri movie "Vivaah" was released on Ultra Blu-Ray. But may be it was not sold in the market as expected so they have postponed the BD release projects.

They should release HAHK or MPK first on Blu-ray to get good sales, sooner or later they may think about it.

Do you think we should shoot an email to Rajshri and Ultra about it?
Old 11-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #29
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

^Only to tell them to not bother releasing a blu-ray if they're going to do their usual job of totally botching up the release. I don't think I have seen a single Ultra DVD that doesn't look like smeared shit. Sadly they have done the DVD releases of all the Guru Dutt movies. What they are doing should be considered criminal desecration.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #30
Expert Member

Feb 2013
India

^Yes, I have their Guru Dutt 6 movies set and I am very disappointed with that. They have cropped all the movies to cinemascope (16:9), just checked all 6 discs for few seconds. Totally crap for me
Old 11-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #31

Apr 2011

Wow, I just checked my "Sahib Bibi aur Ghulam" DVD by moserbaer, and can confirm that the image isn't cropped on this one. Glad, never really bothered with that Ultra release. Hopefully these films will see a better release someday.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #32
Expert Member

Feb 2013
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
Wow, I just checked my "Sahib Bibi aur Ghulam" DVD by moserbaer, and can confirm that the image isn't cropped on this one. Glad, never really bothered with that Ultra release. Hopefully these films will see a better release someday.
Yes, I was aware about Moser Baer, but recently Ultra got the rights back for many titles like Hum Aapke Hain Kaun, Maine Pyar Kiya... almost all Rajshri and Many Classics like Guru Dutt films.... so purchased the Ultra ones, thought Ultra ones would be better than Moser Baer but no luck.... I have to buy MB versions again and one more thing; Classics on MB are better than Ultra.
E.g. Full Screen (4:3) video, faded logo (opacity around 15%).
Old 11-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #33
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Actually, on the ultra release of SBG, the image is not cropped, it is S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D out to a mind-boggling 2.66:1 ratio with black bars at the top and bottom.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #34
Expert Member

Feb 2013
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
Actually, on the ultra release of SBG, the image is not cropped, it is S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D out to a mind-boggling 2.66:1 ratio with black bars at the top and bottom.

Seems you are correct. As I already told that I have checked all the discs just for few seconds and immediately stopped them after seeing the black bars, not interested to watch them even for few seconds. The new aspect ratio is invented "Ultra WTF Ratio"

Last edited by prepress; 11-07-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Add
Old 11-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #35
Expert Member

Oct 2009

In the US. Isn't it EROS who owns the rights?
Old 10-21-2015, 06:16 AM   #36
Special Member

Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by srkbeno.1 View Post
In the US. Isn't it EROS who owns the rights?
NETFLIX now has HUM AAPKE HAIN KAUN? in HD

I dont see much detail. It is more like 720p HD than Full HD.

It is also cropped to 2.35:1.

Audio is definitely ultra stereo. It just have more clearer and better surround.

Probably its the ultra stereo optical surround that NETFLIX uploaded.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:46 AM   #37
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
NETFLIX now has HUM AAPKE HAIN KAUN? in HD

I dont see much detail. It is more like 720p HD than Full HD.

It is also cropped to 2.35:1.

Audio is definitely ultra stereo. It just have more clearer and better surround.

Probably its the ultra stereo optical surround that NETFLIX uploaded.
what do you mean cropped to 2.35:1? Was this shot wider than that?
Old 10-21-2015, 11:31 AM   #38
Special Member

Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin View Post
what do you mean cropped to 2.35:1? Was this shot wider than that?
Yep.

Original theatrical aspect ratio is 2.55:1 shot in "cinemascope" according to IMDB. Definitely non-anamorphic, spherical lens unlike DDLJ.

Last edited by Hindustani; 10-21-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Thanks given by:
mrbrat_Boy (10-21-2015), nitin (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #39
Special Member

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
Yep.

Original theatrical aspect ratio is 2.55:1 shot in "cinemascope" according to IMDB. Definitely non-anamorphic, spherical lens unlike DDLJ.
DDLJ was also shot with anamorphic lenses, but at 2.40:1. I believe spherical/Super-35 filming of 2.40:1 films started in India in the 2000s.

I'm surprised that any Indian films after Kaagaz Ke Phool were shot at 2.55:1. In the West that aspect ratio was dead by the late 50s.

Last edited by Dragun; 10-21-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #40
Special Member

May 2010
Bangalore

I have a related but slighty unrelated question.

Why are all indian blu rays 2.35:1

While all hollywood blu rays are 2.40:1

What am i missing here ? if cameras are same, in theatres, the screens are also same, why BDs are treated differently even if its that tiny bit different?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India