Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

$14.99

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.80

Dino King 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99
19 hrs ago
Passengers 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96
16 min ago
Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.47

Ghostbusters 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Abominable 3D (Blu-ray)
$36.00

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.85

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Old 09-19-2019, 09:34 PM   #161

Oct 2018

There's no crosstalk on the disc sure (except Into the Spider-Verse, sort of). But it's kind of irrelevant if 99% of displays can show crosstalk anyway. I think it's perfectly fair for the review to point on the disc is going to show bad cross talk on a lot of displays, and so maybe you should consider that before buying it if you care about that.

Sure, I'll blame all the TVs and projectors and other display technologies that aren't the PSVR. I'm also realistic that they're doing the best they can and it's not likely to get a whole lot better, even if home 3D was still popular.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:44 PM   #162
Special Member

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Ghosting should never be blamed as the 3D movies fault.
All 3D Crosstalk comes from inefficient video components.
Bullcrap.

I'm tired of people saying the movie doesn't matter when it clearly does to those that have the issue. Some movies have no crosstalk. Many have very little. Some have a lot. This is REPEATABLE 100%. I haven't seen a SINGLE person explain how it varies by movie if the movie doesn't matter at all. NOT ONCE. And I'd bet you won't say one word about how it varies either.

Clearly there is something going on that exacerbates the issue on the sets that are susceptible to it and people like you saying it has nothing to do with it isn't even a microscopic bit helpful to those with the issue. WTF do you propose we do? Go buy a new 3D TV set? Where? How? How is telling us it's our TV's fault 100% helpful to ANYONE in the slightest??? Or do you just enjoy being combative?

The FACT is that to those with the problem it's very helpful to know which titles have more or less crosstalk than others. You saying it's simply not possible for the movie to affect anything doesn't change the FACT you're 100% wrong. It's 100% repeatable that some titles do and some do not ON THE SETS WITH THE ISSUE. The fact your set is immune doesn't change the fact that on sets that are NOT immune vary by title quite a lot in a very repeatable manner.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #163
Special Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

The fact of the matter is that there is zero visible crosstalk on DLP projectors with RF glasses and on HMD's like the Cinera and Royole Moon.

Could content makers make sacrifices to accommodate displays that cannot cancel images properly? Sure, which is why so many modern films are 2.5D instead of full 3-D (65mm separation between both eyes).

The 80's 3-D films and 50's 3-D films make no such sacrifices for display equipment.

Last edited by revgen; 09-20-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Thanks given by:
bavanut (09-21-2019), Paul H (09-21-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 12:16 AM   #164

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by revgen View Post
The fact of the matter is that there is zero visible crosstalk on DLP projectors with RF glasses and on HMD's like the Cinera and Royole Moon.

Could content makers make sacrifices to accommodate displays that cannot cancel images properly? Sure, which is why so many modern films are 2.5D instead of full 3-D (65mm separation between both eyes).

The 80's 3-D films and 50's 3-D films make no such sacrifices for display equipment.
Exactly. 3-D displays with less than optimal cancellation will be far more forgiving with titles with less parallax and less contrast. This carries over to anaglyph and has been a parameter techs have been cognizant of for over a half century.

HMDs of course have no crosstalk. DLP has the best cancellation of the 3-D wearing glasses option, followed by theatrical Real-D and Dolby. Passive home displays vary but typically are better than active LCD and LED displays, both flatscreens and projector types.
Thanks given by:
bavanut (09-21-2019), Paul H (09-21-2019), revgen (09-21-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 07:45 AM   #165

Nov 2014

I'm not sure where this fits in, but I went back to watch 3D on a older LG 3D TV (model 47LM5850) and noticed black bars from the sides. It's usually when watching a changing aspect ratio movie (ie. Marvel) but even on a static aspect ratio like Endgame, the black on the sides show up.

What is this and how do I correct it?
It moves in and out and it makes the watching experience unbearable.

IMG_20191001_004053.jpg
Old 10-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #166
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Those are called "floating windows" and are used to prevent edge violations, Disney LOVE using them and you'll find them on most Disney/Pixar/MCU 3D discs.

They're hard encoded into the image but if you can adjust the overscan on your TV you can crop them out. This will crop some information out of shots which don't have the floating windows but most images have a lil' bit of a 'safe area' overshoot so it's not damaging to the composition.
Thanks given by:
steveapproved (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 03:35 PM   #167
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveapproved View Post
I'm not sure where this fits in, but I went back to watch 3D on a older LG 3D TV (model 47LM5850) and noticed black bars from the sides. It's usually when watching a changing aspect ratio movie (ie. Marvel) but even on a static aspect ratio like Endgame, the black on the sides show up.

What is this and how do I correct it?
It moves in and out and it makes the watching experience unbearable.

Attachment 228837
You don't want to crop out the aspect area, as it will alter the intended 3D affect.

A Director intended 3D tool.
The moving bars are called floating windows. They are the 3D variable maskings on the sides in 3D scenes that correct the viewers 3D perception when only one eye can see what both eyes need to see, when the image goes off the screen.
i.e. It corrects 3D errors so the depth and pop-outs on the sides will look normal for the scene.

Last edited by Paul H; 10-01-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (10-30-2019), steveapproved (10-01-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 05:10 PM   #168
Special Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by revgen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKintz View Post
Exactly. 3-D displays with less than optimal cancellation will be far more forgiving with titles with less parallax and less contrast. This carries over to anaglyph and has been a parameter techs have been cognizant of for over a half century.

HMDs of course have no crosstalk. DLP has the best cancellation of the 3-D wearing glasses option, followed by theatrical Real-D and Dolby. Passive home displays vary but typically are better than active LCD and LED displays, both flatscreens and projector types.
That’s why I always recommend dlp projectors to those who are looking to get 3D into their home theaters. My 3-chip dlp projected on the Stewart ~200” screen is a sight to behold. No ghosting. No bad angles. Ever. Just crystal clear 3D. Highly recommended!
Old 10-31-2019, 02:47 PM   #169

Sep 2013

Think the Ghosting issue is limited to particular sets from a few manufacturers or sets with certain date codes (panel issues) . I have Lg passive / Samsung Active / An old Epson 5010 and a Sony VW295 Projector and have never seen ghosting on any of them. Guess I got lucky
Old 10-31-2019, 04:44 PM   #170
Special Member

Aug 2015

I have an LG passive and ghosting is rare if I sit in the right position, centered vertically on the screen. But if I slouch down or stand up, ghosting gets very bad. That's one thing I don't like about passive, as 3D does not dissolve for an active set if you stand up or sit on the floor.

But even with everything perfect I can create ghosting by dialing up the 3D on the TV to 20 (default is 10).

I'd be happy to get a projector if you could use it in the daytime. I don't have any rooms where outside light cannot reach.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology