Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
15 hrs ago
Shrek: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
15 hrs ago
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
15 hrs ago
Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Back to the Future: 30th Anniversary Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.99
15 hrs ago
Friday the 13th: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.27

Taken 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
15 hrs ago
Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
20 hrs ago
Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics

Old 02-26-2015, 06:48 AM   #41
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pondexter View Post
I hope you didn't pay Simon for that Batman sketch...
I have to assume by your comment that you don't care for it, and that's ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Honestly, it didn't cost that much, I have met Simon a number of times and he was in town for the PAX video game convention back in August here and we spoke and he told me he was flown in by a video game company that he did some artwork for. He mentioned for me to come back the next time and we would hang out at the bar and he would draw something for me. We ended up sitting at a bar talking comics and the industry for a few hours and he would work on the sketch off and on, I was pleased with it. He was distracted a lot by others at the bar as he worked, but I felt it turned out fine.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #42

Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5 View Post
I have to assume by your comment that you don't care for it, and that's ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Honestly, it didn't cost that much, I have met Simon a number of times and he was in town for the PAX video game convention back in August here and we spoke and he told me he was flown in by a video game company that he did some artwork for. He mentioned for me to come back the next time and we would hang out at the bar and he would draw something for me. We ended up sitting at a bar talking comics and the industry for a few hours and he would work on the sketch off and on, I was pleased with it. He was distracted a lot by others at the bar as he worked, but I felt it turned out fine.
Absolutely no offence meant, Simon is actually a good friend of mine. I do spend quite a bit of my time with him telling him how crap his sketches are.

Just to give you a little background on me, I own 3 comic shops in the UK and run my own convention. So I know quite a few artists and writers, and you're right everyone is entitled to an opinion, but that doesn't mean you they're able to just be rude.

Apologies if I came across as a dick...I'll add a smiley face or something next time.

Here's a pencil Conan by Simon as a peace offering.

Jeff
Old 02-26-2015, 05:02 PM   #43
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Absolutely no offence meant, Simon is actually a good friend of mine. I do spend quite a bit of my time with him telling him how crap his sketches are.

Just to give you a little background on me, I own 3 comic shops in the UK and run my own convention. So I know quite a few artists and writers, and you're right everyone is entitled to an opinion, but that doesn't mean you they're able to just be rude.

Apologies if I came across as a dick...I'll add a smiley face or something next time.

Jeff
No offense was taken, thus no apology is needed. I just wasn't sure if you were serious or joking, that is a growing problem it seems in today's society when we rely too much on email/text/IM's as people can't tell if one person is joking or not some of the time. Simon is a really cool guy, let him know I said hello, he should remember me, looking forward to seeing him out this way again soon at one of our cons too.

I am a big fan of some of the other creators that call your part of the world home, Alan Moore, Warren Ellis, Brian Bolland and others. Would love to get some comics by them signed but the chances are slim to none as I believe Ellis doesn't like to travel, and Moore doesn't do conventions.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #44
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Jeff
Also some of your images aren't appearing, I generally upload to a site such as TinyPic and then auto-reduce it for what I am going to use it for, such as message boards.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #45
Expert Member

Apr 2009

What a great thread!
I wish I had some to share.

The only story I can share is I saw John Byrne do a quickie sketch for someone in his autograph line (back in the mid 90's at the (Detroit) Motor City Comic Con) that the person wound up not liking. Non pulsed he then held it up and set up a quickie auction for it. If I remember correctly it was a drawing of Scarlet Witch and he got around $80 for it.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darev View Post
What a great thread!
I wish I had some to share.

The only story I can share is I saw John Byrne do a quickie sketch for someone in his autograph line (back in the mid 90's at the (Detroit) Motor City Comic Con) that the person wound up not liking. Non pulsed he then held it up and set up a quickie auction for it. If I remember correctly it was a drawing of Scarlet Witch and he got around $80 for it.
Welcome to the thread! I always enjoyed John Byrne's work, really enjoyed his Next Men series. Some artists will do a quick sketch for free, it doesn't hurt to ask, while some do charge, there are many affordable options. As with everything the more you want to spend, the more detailed the sketch can be.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #47

Dec 2014

Quote:
No offense was taken, thus no apology is needed. I just wasn't sure if you were serious or joking, that is a growing problem it seems in today's society when we rely too much on email/text/IM's as people can't tell if one person is joking or not some of the time. Simon is a really cool guy, let him know I said hello, he should remember me, looking forward to seeing him out this way again soon at one of our cons too.

I am a big fan of some of the other creators that call your part of the world home, Alan Moore, Warren Ellis, Brian Bolland and others. Would love to get some comics by them signed but the chances are slim to none as I believe Ellis doesn't like to travel, and Moore doesn't do conventions.
Alan did my convention a few years back, his first in 22 or so years If you want a signed Alan Moore book PM me and I'll see what I have floating about. Warren Ellis doesn't really do much with conventions at the moment and Brian I'll be seeing in a few weeks time.

Sadly all Brian's stuff is all digital now, his con schedule is always very long queues.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #48

Dec 2014

Quote:
Also some of your images aren't appearing, I generally upload to a site such as TinyPic and then auto-reduce it for what I am going to use it for, such as message boards.
This working better?
Old 02-26-2015, 11:16 PM   #49
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
This working better?
Yes now its visible, I will PM you later this evening, but it will be probably quite late where you are in regards to your other posting. :-)

Jon
Old 02-17-2016, 03:44 AM   #50

Aug 2012
NJ

Here are my original Valiant-era sketches...Love the new generation of Valiant, but these are my dudes!

Jim Califiore's Magnus Robot Fighter

Bernard Chang's Doctor Mirage

Sean Chen's Rai

Dave Ross' Spylocke

Attached Images
File Type: jpg calfiore01.JPG (70.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg chang01.jpg (24.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg chen01.jpg (23.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg ross01.JPG (61.6 KB, 54 views)
Old 04-18-2016, 07:34 PM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Latest addition to my sketchbook devoted to "The Crow", this one done by Jim Lee.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:04 AM   #52

Aug 2012
NJ

I nabbed the above off ebay ages ago at an abnormally low price. To this day I wonder if it is genuine. I need to bring it to a con when Ed McGuinness is there and find out. lol

This one I got directly from Matt Wagner. It is a prelim for what was going to be an AWESOME Grendel Prime action figure that, at least to this point, was never made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mcguinness01.jpg (88.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20161127_141523.jpg (89.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #53
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007

Awesome thread, I collect original art and am an artist myself. I attend conventions and have drawn at Artist Alley as well.

Since I am not sure of solicitation rules on the site, if anyone is interested in commissions and original art, and to see my work, feel free to drop me a PM Or if this post is against rules for mentioning it all, please delete.

I should post some of my commissions I have received, my favorites in my collection are from David Finch, Jorge Molina and Todd Nauck.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics