Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan (Blu-ray)
AU$19.90
 
The Nightingale (Blu-ray)
AU$26.98
 
Aladdin 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$24.98
 
Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$39.98
 
Amazing Grace (Blu-ray)
AU$16.40
 
Mary Poppins Returns 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$14.99
15 hrs ago
Dead Kids (Blu-ray)
AU$15.72
 
Adventure Time: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
AU$159.00
 
Dynasties 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$13.99
 
Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
AU$5.00
 
Live by Night (Blu-ray)
AU$5.00
 
Aladdin (Blu-ray)
AU$16.00
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2019, 10:49 PM   #361
Adster81 Adster81 is offline
Active Member
 
Adster81's Avatar
 
Jun 2015
Australia
227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashio View Post
This happens a lot sadly with no explanation :/ Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon has the exact same problem yet awful movies will get 4K uploads
it's quite funny because most of America don't even know about the first mad max, they think the 2nd one is the one that exists road warrior only, ( I only like the first movie)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #362
Adster81 Adster81 is offline
Active Member
 
Adster81's Avatar
 
Jun 2015
Australia
227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
It’s a sad state of affairs. But Madman has always disappointed the Blu-Ray fan with DVD only releases, so why should they be any different with OOP BD’s.

It’s a real shame that Blu-Ray/4K Blu-Ray hasn’t taken off like it has in the US (over 50% market share of disc sales).
When you see JB place 10 DVD copies on their new release shelf and only 3 Blu-Rays, without seeing any sales figures, you know that Blu-Ray probably has 20% market share, 25%, at the most, in Australia.



Always check the comments though. For example: For the South Park S11-15 Blu-Ray Set, someone has ticked Region Free, yet S14 and S15 are Region A locked. Ideally, in that situation, one should tick it’s Region A locked and put in the comments, S11-13 are Region Free.
I think it is mainly to do with Cost. Families think their kids couldn't careless about what quality a movie is on the T.V so paying $35 day one for a movie. isn't as good as just paying $20..

yes we are completely ripped off here. same with video games. digital will never take off here when it is $99 to buy a 'digital' copy of a game when Jb would have it for $69. (and you actually own the damm thing) where as in the US all video games are $60 day one digital and physical. You might say the Australia dollar sucks. and add GST but even when you convert all that together it is still cheaper. I keep a PSN account for US, so I can pay digital cheaper and pay no GST.

I think it's simply marketing in Australia they just go for what looks cheapest. and most people here don't even know what 4K is. if you live in regional areas even owning a 4k tv is useless because in regional areas they don't even have 4k on free to air. This is why Australia won't take off with it. we are behind the times and remain behind the times. and cost is just a rip off here to own the best.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (11-15-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 03:48 AM   #363
SillyG SillyG is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2019
Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adster81 View Post
where as in the US all video games are $60 day one digital and physical.
The maximum US$60 pricing, I feel, is quite bad for the industry, at least as far as Western releases are concerned, as developers decide to withhold content to sell as DLC (often on day one) as opposed to putting it all on the disc/cartridge and charging an extra $10, which would be preferable as I absolutely abhor the practice of DLC (which is locked to a single console, so it cannot be shared in a household with multiple consoles and sometimes individual user profiles) and comprises content that is not on the disc/cartridge and cannot be preserved for prosperity). Likewise, the US$60 pricing cap is also a likely reason almost no Switch games are released on 32GB cartridges, while Japan/Asia has seen a few. Play-Asia was charging the same for the 32GB Asian versions of Final Fantasy X/X-2 as the Western versions (which only included X on the cart and X-2 as a download code), so I am certainly not buying the excuse that the costs of 32GB cartridges are prohibitive for the major publishers, particularly when you consider that quite a lot of them, particularly Bethesda's releases, seldom drop in price.

In Australia, physical games can vary from release day prices of around $40 for a budget release, all the way up to $120 for a standard edition of a game (though $120 pricing for standard edition games seemed to end with the stronger Aussie dollar about 5-6 years ago, and publishers have been reluctant to charge anything more than $100 since except for limited editions).

Prices for Japanese games can also vary quite wildly, from as little as about AU$35 for a budget new release to about AU$100 for niche titles (namely titles that are unlikely to sell in large quantities regardless of price), but because the US market is absolutely unwavering, I feel that many releases are compromised in order to work around that capped pricing tier, and the fact that US sales make up a significant portion of total sales (and publishers will occasionally take it out on the rest of us by charging disproportionately more for territories in Europe, Oceania, and/or Asia).

Due to the sheer quantity of games nowadays that have turned the video game industry into an aftermarket by selling additional content at ridiculously prices (especially considering how disproportionately they are priced relative to the base game), I would much rather pay a bit more to that content that would otherwise be withheld on the cartridge/disc than buy it as DLC.

Last edited by SillyG; 11-13-2019 at 03:53 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:01 AM   #364
SillyG SillyG is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2019
Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adster81 View Post
even owning a 4k tv is useless because in regional areas they don't even have 4k on free to air.
There are no UHD channels on free-to-air whatsoever, regional or metropolitan. The only UHD channels are available via subscription TV (such as Foxtel), and even so, I believe that Foxtel is only providing a sports and movie channel in UHD at the time of writing (and I strongly doubt that there are any others). Hell, some FTA shows are still shooting and mastering their shows in standard definition! The recent season of I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here was criticised for its poor picture quality, and one of 10's very few successful shows Have You Been Paying Attention? has been shot/mastered in standard definition since its inception, which is a joke in this day and age, really.

In fact, the majority of FTA channels are still in standard definition. It was only in the last few years that the five big boys finally broadcast their primary channels in HD (going back and forth due to bandwidth limitations), and only a minority of secondary channels, such as SBS Viceland, are currently simulcast in HD.

The main benefit of owning a UHD TV at this point in time is for those who have subscribed to a premium streaming package (such as Netflix, which offers UHD) and/or Foxtel, those who hook up their gaming PCs/consoles to a TV, and owners of UHD players. And also those with UHD cameras who would like to be able to watch their content at full resolution. I have a 4K camera (that shoots at 4K DCI resolution) which I had bought for future-proofing my work. I don't yet own a UHD display of any kind so I am yet to see any of my work in glorious UHD/4K though. :P

I found it quite amusing (and idiotic) that when I had first seen a UHD TV in stores for the first time (it cost $15,000), the display had a disclaimer advising that there are no UHD broadcasts available in Australia. There was absolutely no point whatsoever in buying such a TV at the time, yet I'm sure that cashed up morons would have lapped it up.

Last edited by SillyG; 11-13-2019 at 04:05 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #365
Adster81 Adster81 is offline
Active Member
 
Adster81's Avatar
 
Jun 2015
Australia
227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyG View Post
There are no UHD channels on free-to-air whatsoever, regional or metropolitan. The only UHD channels are available via subscription TV (such as Foxtel), and even so, I believe that Foxtel is only providing a sports and movie channel in UHD at the time of writing (and I strongly doubt that there are any others). Hell, some FTA shows are still shooting and mastering their shows in standard definition! The recent season of I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here was criticised for its poor picture quality, and one of 10's very few successful shows Have You Been Paying Attention? has been shot/mastered in standard definition since its inception, which is a joke in this day and age, really.

In fact, the majority of FTA channels are still in standard definition. It was only in the last few years that the five big boys finally broadcast their primary channels in HD (going back and forth due to bandwidth limitations), and only a minority of secondary channels, such as SBS Viceland, are currently simulcast in HD.

The main benefit of owning a UHD TV at this point in time is for those who have subscribed to a premium streaming package (such as Netflix, which offers UHD) and/or Foxtel, those who hook up their gaming PCs/consoles to a TV, and owners of UHD players. And also those with UHD cameras who would like to be able to watch their content at full resolution. I have a 4K camera (that shoots at 4K DCI resolution) which I had bought for future-proofing my work. I don't yet own a UHD display of any kind so I am yet to see any of my work in glorious UHD/4K though. :P

I found it quite amusing (and idiotic) that when I had first seen a UHD TV in stores for the first time (it cost $15,000), the display had a disclaimer advising that there are no UHD broadcasts available in Australia. There was absolutely no point whatsoever in buying such a TV at the time, yet I'm sure that cashed up morons would have lapped it up.
Ok I must have been thinking when Nine advertise something (it's in full HD on GEM the state of origin on NINEEEEEE exclusive!) yet it's false advertisement because regional areas never got it

But yeah it is laughable what people pay. it's like converting a 128 bit rate mp3 to 320 and thinking that makes it better. most of FTA us complete and utter garbage now anyway. it's all so called reality crap. or dating reality crap (that is stage managed and acted ) and idiots (mainly the female teenager audience or house wives) think it's REAL.

we are stuck with the Monopoly and overpriced Foxtel too. and this is going to be a massive issue in Australia about to hit us. with the rest of the world getting all these streaming services like Disney + and HBO etc. Foxtel have the rights for some of those shows like Simpsons GOT etc.

I predict Australian piracy about to skyrocket high again because people won't be able to afford another streaming service as well as Foxtel. it's going to be a problem here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #366
Rick Grimes Rick Grimes is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Rick Grimes's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
94
1067
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adster81 View Post
I think it is mainly to do with Cost. Families think their kids couldn't careless about what quality a movie is on the T.V so paying $35 day one for a movie. isn't as good as just paying $20..

yes we are completely ripped off here. same with video games. digital will never take off here when it is $99 to buy a 'digital' copy of a game when Jb would have it for $69. (and you actually own the damm thing) where as in the US all video games are $60 day one digital and physical. You might say the Australia dollar sucks. and add GST but even when you convert all that together it is still cheaper. I keep a PSN account for US, so I can pay digital cheaper and pay no GST.

I think it's simply marketing in Australia they just go for what looks cheapest. and most people here don't even know what 4K is. if you live in regional areas even owning a 4k tv is useless because in regional areas they don't even have 4k on free to air. This is why Australia won't take off with it. we are behind the times and remain behind the times. and cost is just a rip off here to own the best.
Sadly, the cost issue is probably a factor. Although, in some cases, the BD is only $5 more and recently, with TV on BD, some titles have been priced the same.

I did see a man of pensioner age buy a UHD player recently and he got one tile. Props to that guy. However, there are not enough people embracing BD, let alone UHD. Piracy is still an option. The sheeple at my work all talk about the latest Netdix TV series. Most of these series are shite (Netflix’s motto should be “There are no bad original concepts”). Whenever I ask if they have watched a quality Hulu TV series (eg. The Looming Tower), Cinemax (The Knick) or even Starz (Spartacus, Blake Sails, Ash vs. Evil Dead), they look at me blankly as they never go into a JB HiFi and are lucky if they have a DVD player, and they don’t even know what Blu-Ray is. However, some of these TV series viewers are content to watch them on their phone or tablet.

I can’t believe DVD is still a medium. There was a joke on a 2006 episode of The Simpsons, when Homer goes to the dump and there are signs for dumping that read “Video cassettes”, “Laserdiscs” and then there was one last sign that read “Reserved for DVDs”. Ironically, I was watching that Simpsons episode on Blu-Ray (even more ironically, they stopped releasing The Simpsons on DVD and BD at S17, they did a DVD release for S18, back by popular demand, but have released none since). Blu-Ray has been marketed poorly and Aussie’s, generally, are both cheap and are thieves. They would rather stream a TV series/film or pirate them. And then when they find not every film is in Netflix or Stan’s back catalogue, they forego quality and buy a DVD over a Blu-Ray.

So, hence, the lack of people purchasing BD’s has also led to a drop in releases in Australia on BD. I found two TV on BD releases, just this week, that have international releases, and with Narcos, the first 3 seasons were released here on BD. Will try and source a German copy, although “The Man” says we can’t purchase from Amazon.De ‘cos we don’t pay GST. F*ck that shit. If we had decent f*cking distributors, I could buy Narcos: Mexico on Blu-Ray here and I was also interested in Das Boot. W@nkers.


DVD only Australia, Blu-Ray UK


DVD only Australia, Blu-Ray Germany/France
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:26 AM   #367
Batfreakforever1939 Batfreakforever1939 is offline
Member
 
Oct 2019
Default

Batman Beyond : Return of the Joker is Blu-ray and uncut internationally but here in AU it's DVD only and the edited version.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (11-18-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 03:58 AM   #368
LMFAObros LMFAObros is offline
Special Member
 
LMFAObros's Avatar
 
Jan 2016
Melbourne
74
2045
1
50
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfreakforever1939 View Post
Batman Beyond : Return of the Joker is Blu-ray and uncut internationally but here in AU it's DVD only and the edited version.
This is perhaps why bbc dropped roadshow in favour of universal with them pulling cheap s... like this
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (11-18-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 10:47 PM   #369
Adster81 Adster81 is offline
Active Member
 
Adster81's Avatar
 
Jun 2015
Australia
227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
Sadly, the cost issue is probably a factor. Although, in some cases, the BD is only $5 more and recently, with TV on BD, some titles have been priced the same.

I did see a man of pensioner age buy a UHD player recently and he got one tile. Props to that guy. However, there are not enough people embracing BD, let alone UHD. Piracy is still an option. The sheeple at my work all talk about the latest Netdix TV series. Most of these series are shite (Netflix’s motto should be “There are no bad original concepts”). Whenever I ask if they have watched a quality Hulu TV series (eg. The Looming Tower), Cinemax (The Knick) or even Starz (Spartacus, Blake Sails, Ash vs. Evil Dead), they look at me blankly as they never go into a JB HiFi and are lucky if they have a DVD player, and they don’t even know what Blu-Ray is. However, some of these TV series viewers are content to watch them on their phone or tablet.

I can’t believe DVD is still a medium. There was a joke on a 2006 episode of The Simpsons, when Homer goes to the dump and there are signs for dumping that read “Video cassettes”, “Laserdiscs” and then there was one last sign that read “Reserved for DVDs”. Ironically, I was watching that Simpsons episode on Blu-Ray (even more ironically, they stopped releasing The Simpsons on DVD and BD at S17, they did a DVD release for S18, back by popular demand, but have released none since). Blu-Ray has been marketed poorly and Aussie’s, generally, are both cheap and are thieves. They would rather stream a TV series/film or pirate them. And then when they find not every film is in Netflix or Stan’s back catalogue, they forego quality and buy a DVD over a Blu-Ray.

So, hence, the lack of people purchasing BD’s has also led to a drop in releases in Australia on BD. I found two TV on BD releases, just this week, that have international releases, and with Narcos, the first 3 seasons were released here on BD. Will try and source a German copy, although “The Man” says we can’t purchase from Amazon.De ‘cos we don’t pay GST. F*ck that shit. If we had decent f*cking distributors, I could buy Narcos: Mexico on Blu-Ray here and I was also interested in Das Boot. W@nkers.


DVD only Australia, Blu-Ray UK


DVD only Australia, Blu-Ray Germany/France
Yep it is completely frustrating when you walk into Target or Big W. and you see just 100 copies of lets say the avengers end game at the front as you walk in and they are all 'DVD" then you walk into the DVD section and see another 100 copies along with $5 Disney DVDs. then in a tiny area there is maybe a small stand with about 10 copies sitting there of some marvel movie on blu ray. and mixed in with other DVD junk (because those stores are pathetic at keeping anything in order) you might find the odd Blu ray out of nowhere mixed in.

I must be becoming old but I am getting sick to death of Disney and marvel DC flooding the market. and the whole 'box office results' it;s a industry satiation right now and now with Disney Plus it's even worse then before it's becoming like Pop mainstream music. flooded in our face everywhere we go. but I guess the small community here on this forum are not enough. to say 'other stuff is out there' I mean I like Disney films and the odd superhero movie but right now it is to saturated and it is complete fatigue right now dominated by movie news youtube EVERYWHERE, the only time we hear about different movies then the 'mainstream' PG 13 stuff. is Oscar time.

gonna be funny if people need to cut Disney plus or netflix in their budget and find they can no longer watch that movie... yet if you actually bought it and OWN it you can watch it anytime

Disney plus are trying to make this a 'new services' when all their titles are in our face everywhere we bloody go. and suckers are falling into the 'buy a licence to watch and never own it' scheme

Last edited by Adster81; 11-19-2019 at 10:54 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:25 AM   #370
SillyG SillyG is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2019
Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adster81 View Post
Yep it is completely frustrating when you walk into Target or Big W. and you see just 100 copies of lets say the avengers end game at the front as you walk in and they are all 'DVD" then you walk into the DVD section and see another 100 copies along with $5 Disney DVDs. then in a tiny area there is maybe a small stand with about 10 copies sitting there of some marvel movie on blu ray. and mixed in with other DVD junk (because those stores are pathetic at keeping anything in order) you might find the odd Blu ray out of nowhere mixed in.

I must be becoming old but I am getting sick to death of Disney and marvel DC flooding the market. and the whole 'box office results' it;s a industry satiation right now and now with Disney Plus it's even worse then before it's becoming like Pop mainstream music. flooded in our face everywhere we go. but I guess the small community here on this forum are not enough. to say 'other stuff is out there' I mean I like Disney films and the odd superhero movie but right now it is to saturated and it is complete fatigue right now dominated by movie news youtube EVERYWHERE, the only time we hear about different movies then the 'mainstream' PG 13 stuff. is Oscar time.

gonna be funny if people need to cut Disney plus or netflix in their budget and find they can no longer watch that movie... yet if you actually bought it and OWN it you can watch it anytime

Disney plus are trying to make this a 'new services' when all their titles are in our face everywhere we bloody go. and suckers are falling into the 'buy a licence to watch and never own it' scheme
I have almost no interest in Hollywood junk, and yes, it is disheartening, but fortunately JB Hi-Fi's prominence in the market nowadays has made it far more readily accessible to the masses to pick up some of the better quality movies that are out there.

Unfortunately, due to the size of our market, and the general consumer still favouring DVD over Blu-ray, a lot of international/indie/art films are only issued a DVD release (and in many cases, aren't issued a home video release at all!).

I sometimes reluctantly buy DVDs of such movies if they are available (even though I resent it) in order to support local distributors, but I am finding myself gravitating more towards imports nowadays.

In the past, Madman would only issue DVD releases of some of their more niche anime releases (particularly those with no English dub), but over the last couple of years, they have been issuing Blu-ray only releases of many new anime releases, which is greatly appreciated. Surely most of us who still collect anime on disc (as opposed to subscribing to Crunchyroll and the like) would prefer a high quality product, particularly for the price, as anime is among the most expensive discs on the market (and even more so in Japan, where the typical market value for TWO episodes on DVD/Blu-ray is about AU$80, so our prices are an absolute bargain in comparison, though anime tends to release internationally about 1-2 years after their initial Japanese release to disincentivise locals from importing).

Last edited by SillyG; 11-20-2019 at 02:33 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
hiwilliam (11-20-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 12:11 AM   #371
Batfreakforever1939 Batfreakforever1939 is offline
Member
 
Oct 2019
Default

Laserdisc is a very poor and outdated compared to Blu-ray and uhd.
I don't know how anyone can still watch anything on that format.
Picture is terrible and the audio is very poor compared the new formats.
I think some people have rose tinted on or simply cannot accept progression in home video since they were young.
Yes that format may of been the pinnacle of home entertainment in the 70s and 80s but its not now and hasn't been for over two almost 3 decades.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:35 PM.