Best 3D Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Avatar 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.80
 
Passengers 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.96
 
Ghostbusters 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.96
 
The Polar Express 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.72
 
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Abominable 3D (Blu-ray)
$36.00
 
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
xXx: Return of Xander Cage 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.68
 
Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.86
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
Win Slow Win Slow is offline
Expert Member
 
Win Slow's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
NJ
38
370
97
Default Sony BDPS-5200 ... Good pick up ?

I currently have a Sony Blu Ray 3D Player (BDPS580) which i really like but was considering adding another player to my living room. It's not a necessity but i have a Target gift certificate and there isn't much i want to get there so i was considering picking this up.

Can anyone give any recommendations or positive/negative info on this particular model ? Much thanks !
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:38 AM   #2
The Dragon The Dragon is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
The Dragon's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
93
114
1268
471
2
Default

Just picked this lil' guy up... Very quick start up, good wireless response.
The video is sharp and the detail very good. Lots of internet access.

Overall, I'm happy with this as a secondary player in my 2nd system in my living room.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
Pizzamorg Pizzamorg is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Pizzamorg's Avatar
 
Jul 2014
102
Default

Just picked up one of these, for any owners, how much tinkering did you do with the player? I realised in the BD players actual menu there is a comprehensive list of alterations you can make to the video and I'm just interested in what you tweaked to get the best from your films?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
Biotron2000 Biotron2000 is offline
Junior Member
 
Dec 2014
Default

Just got one of these myself, and I am thrilled with the speed of disc loading compared with my 5-year-old LG, and the 3D is a great feature to have. Love the many online and network options as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
steve1971 steve1971 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.
6
278
119
1
Default

Im gonna be getting a 5200 on Friday. By the reviews I have read online it seems like its a solid little player and has all the features Im looking for. Cant wait until Friday to test it out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:32 AM   #6
steve1971 steve1971 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.
6
278
119
1
Default

Well my Sony BDPS5200 arrived today and first impressions? Man is this Blu ray player small!!! Its about the size of my Comcast set top box!!! Set up was a breeze. Popped in a demo Blu ray disc just to check it out and load times were fast and playback was quiet and flawless. No it dont have the duel core processor, 4K upscaling or the info that pops up when the player is on in the front but I really dont need any of that. All I care about is performance and streaming and it looks as though this little player does it all and does it well. So far Im impressed with the 5200.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:09 PM   #7
nycomet nycomet is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
nycomet's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, USA ; I enjoy watching 3D blu-rays; 41 Blufans steels so far
11
1344
55
246
40
343
Default

I picked up the Sony BDP S 5200 as well, but I went for an upgraded region free edition (from 220-electronics.com). Pressing the color coded buttons on the remote changes the region of the player - it couldn't be easier.

I love the compact size of this Sony unit. It definitely starts up and loads discs quickly. The built in wifi works extremely well. I never have "buffering issues" when viewing Vudu, Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Instant Video. That being said, this 3D BD player is primarily being used for disc viewing.

If I have any (minor) complaint it's the fact that I can hear the disc "whirring" around at high speed within the unit. It's only audible during "quiet" sequences in a movie.

Currently, I am sitting fairly close to the unit during movie watching. But I will relocate the 3D BD player to the opposite side of the room in a week or two. Once that is done I doubt I will hear internal disc spinning at all.

For the price this is a great 3D BD player.

Last edited by nycomet; 01-19-2015 at 11:55 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:58 PM   #8
takeasneededforpain takeasneededforpain is offline
Power Member
 
Jun 2014
Canada
105
14
Default

I too have a region free Sony BDP-S5200 that I got from 220-electronics.com as well.

I love it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
nycomet (01-19-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
ED, EDD n EDDY ED, EDD n EDDY is offline
Junior Member
 
Feb 2015
51
2
Default

Just purchased what I'm assuming is a region free Sony s5200 since it has the color buttons on the remote at target with a Walmart price match for $75.00.

I've only owned it a day but its pretty killer. Loads fast. Watched big hero 6 last night no hiccups
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #10
Ray O. Blu Ray O. Blu is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Ray O. Blu's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
The £كا
39
1469
50
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED, EDD n EDDY View Post
Just purchased what I'm assuming is a region free Sony s5200 since it has the color buttons on the remote at target with a Walmart price match for $75.00.

I've only owned it a day but its pretty killer. Loads fast. Watched big hero 6 last night no hiccups
That should be a standard bdps5200, if you got it at Target.
The region-free versions are from specialty websites like 220-electronics and bombay-electronics.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #11
ED, EDD n EDDY ED, EDD n EDDY is offline
Junior Member
 
Feb 2015
51
2
Default

Yeah that's cool. I really don't need region free. I just was not sure if it was region free because it has the colored buttons on the remote.

How do u know if a player is region free or not?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:47 PM   #12
Ray O. Blu Ray O. Blu is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Ray O. Blu's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
The £كا
39
1469
50
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED, EDD n EDDY View Post
Yeah that's cool. I really don't need region free. I just was not sure if it was region free because it has the colored buttons on the remote.

How do u know if a player is region free or not?
The colored buttons are standard on Sony Blu-ray Player remotes. (As well as many other manufacturers remotes)
They are just incorporated into the function of changing the region when necessary.

You would have to specifically order a region-free player from a reputable website or eBay seller that indicates that they have modified the hardware of that player. Some sellers guarantee that the region-free modification will hold up after performing updates, some are hit-or-miss in that aspect.

Brick-and-mortar stores like Target, Best Buy, or Walmart will not have region-free players available for purchase, unfortunately.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:03 PM   #13
ED, EDD n EDDY ED, EDD n EDDY is offline
Junior Member
 
Feb 2015
51
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray O. Blu View Post
The colored buttons are standard on Sony Blu-ray Player remotes. (As well as many other manufacturers remotes)
They are just incorporated into the function of changing the region when necessary.

You would have to specifically order a region-free player from a reputable website or eBay seller that indicates that they have modified the hardware of that player. Some sellers guarantee that the region-free modification will hold up after performing updates, some are hit-or-miss in that aspect.

Brick-and-mortar stores like Target, Best Buy, or Walmart will not have region-free players available for purchase, unfortunately.
Thanks for the tip. For what I paid 74.00 ill just keep it tho would of been nice to get region free but its ok. Much Appreciated
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ray O. Blu (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 08:39 PM   #14
Ray O. Blu Ray O. Blu is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Ray O. Blu's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
The £كا
39
1469
50
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED, EDD n EDDY View Post
Thanks for the tip. For what I paid 74.00 ill just keep it tho would of been nice to get region free but its ok. Much Appreciated
That's a great deal for it!
I was thinking of getting the 5200, but I went with the 6200 because it plays SACDs, has Super Bit Mapping, and has a dual-core processor.

Last edited by Ray O. Blu; 02-26-2015 at 08:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:55 AM   #15
ED, EDD n EDDY ED, EDD n EDDY is offline
Junior Member
 
Feb 2015
51
2
Default

Not liking this s5200 much. I'm having issues when this thing is turned on and connected to my router it throughput the day it resets my modem. So I got a new one and the same thing. It resets my modem.

I have a ps4, x1, 3 phones and 3 tablets on my network no issues except when this is on.

Also I'm not sure why but when this player is hooked up its overly bright on either TV I use and my PC monitor. It makes everything look bright like brightness maxed which makes colors look dull.

I have tried every setting iny TVs and PC monitor no luck getting nice colors. Just a washed outish look.

Issues with 2 of these s5200s turnung me off from sony blurays
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:39 AM   #16
Pizzamorg Pizzamorg is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Pizzamorg's Avatar
 
Jul 2014
102
Default

Dunno whether mines on the way out? It's started making a right racket when playing films!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:09 PM   #17
steve1971 steve1971 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.
6
278
119
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED, EDD n EDDY View Post
Not liking this s5200 much. I'm having issues when this thing is turned on and connected to my router it throughput the day it resets my modem. So I got a new one and the same thing. It resets my modem.

I have a ps4, x1, 3 phones and 3 tablets on my network no issues except when this is on.

Also I'm not sure why but when this player is hooked up its overly bright on either TV I use and my PC monitor. It makes everything look bright like brightness maxed which makes colors look dull.

I have tried every setting iny TVs and PC monitor no luck getting nice colors. Just a washed outish look.

Issues with 2 of these s5200s turnung me off from sony blurays

Thats one of the reasons I returned my 5200 and kept my 6200!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:16 PM   #18
Ray O. Blu Ray O. Blu is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Ray O. Blu's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
The £كا
39
1469
50
6
Default

The 6200 is now $129.99.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
nycomet (03-17-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 01:58 PM   #19
steve1971 steve1971 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.
6
278
119
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray O. Blu View Post
The 6200 is now $129.99.
Yep saw that to. Dropping the prices to make way for the 2015 players which I already will say "No thank you" to.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ray O. Blu (03-03-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #20
nycomet nycomet is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
nycomet's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, USA ; I enjoy watching 3D blu-rays; 41 Blufans steels so far
11
1344
55
246
40
343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray O. Blu View Post
The 6200 is now $129.99.
Is that for the region free edition? Wow!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:21 AM.