Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
9 hrs ago
The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$17.99

One Missed Call Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.03
14 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Shrek: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Supergirl: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics

Old 06-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2013
Pittsburgh
Default All-New All-Different Marvel

Creative Team for this fall's 'All-New, All-Different' INVINCIBLE IRON MAN Announced

Quote:
From USA Today:
Bendis calls Invincible Iron Man "a futurist's look at what he has to do next as a superhero" the series picks up eight months after the conclusion of the current event series Secret Wars with Tony wanting to be a better man in every aspect of his life. (The recently wrapped Superior Iron Man comic had him based in San Francisco and being more of a jerk than usual.)

In addition to his weaponry, Iron Man's also getting a larger cast of characters, many of them new. Fans of Stark pals Pepper Potts and Happy Hogan will get to see them again at some point, but Bendis says he is instead focusing on introducing folks such as a love interest "who is smarter than him," the writer says. "He can't just be snarky Tony Stark and woo her. He's got to earn her, and even that's a challenge.
This is good news as far as I'm concerned. Bendis is at his best when writing solo books, hopefully this gets him away from team books.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
Washington State

loving that it appears "old man logan" is going to be apart of the main marvel universe now.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2013
Pittsburgh

I just read the original Old Man Logan run last night for the first time. Fantastic stuff!
Old 06-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
Banned

Apr 2015

I saw these on Imgur last night and wanted to start reading the new series. I love the new looks and returning characters.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #5

Apr 2009

I really miss the x-men being part of the marvel universe
I've heard that they will be shuffled off to their own world after secret wars, same with FF
Old 06-08-2015, 03:04 AM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2013
Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta Jon View Post
I really miss the x-men being part of the marvel universe
I've heard that they will be shuffled off to their own world after secret wars, same with FF
I wasn't buying into the conspiracy at first, but with some of Marvel's recent moves, it's starting to get really hard to argue against it.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

Hmm, I might give this a look; I gave up on Iron Man when Gillen wrote that ludicrous plot about Tony being adopted. Utter garbage, I'm still hoping that story gets erased and "normal service is resumed".

Only thing I don't like is the very cartoon like style; hopefully this is just for the promo and the actual comics will be a lot better!

Really enjoying Secret Wars though and the handful of associated titles I've picked up.

Nice piece here on what's going on outside the comics with FF and X-Men; understandable from Marvel to be honest and actually not all doom and gloom either!

http://io9.com/whats-behind-marvels-...rom-1707514860

One of the things that irritated me endlessly in my younger comic book buying days was the sheer number of spin off titles from X-Men, so I'd be more likely to buy future X comics if there were only a couple of them, for instance.

Last edited by partridge; 06-08-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (06-12-2015), MrBlonde (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2013
Pittsburgh

Thanks for posting that article! What bugs me is it's been proven that the films don't affect comic sales and vise versa, so I don't understand why they are somewhat shunning the FF. Or at least, not giving them their own title, Johnny is gonna be in Inhumans, Ben in GOTG, we all know how much Marvel and Hickman love Doom so he'll be involved somewhere. Not sure what is in store for Reed and Sue.

Agreed on Secret Wars. The main book has been fantastic, Hickman has been killing it for like 5 years now. I've enjoyed quite a bit of the tie-ins as well, and I've read almost all of them.
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (06-12-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

The FF is a bit of an oddity; once upon a time they were up there with the Avengers but I guess these days they aren't really a "badass" super group and, from what that article said, sales just don't warrant an ongoing monthly title.

I'm not expecting great things from this years Fox movie and I'm pretty sure they only made it to keep the licence. If it flops then that might increase the possibility of Fox letting them return to Marvel.

I can't see Fox letting go of X-Men any time soon though, they will keep reinventing the core team and making spin off films to maintain their own super hero franchise. Shame it's so poor compared to the MCU.

--
Did you notice the edited cover of Inferno 1? Goblin Queen's outfit is more modest now, compared to the preview of the cover that kept the original look. However, I did notice in SW2 there is a shot of her in the original outfit, I guess the man with blank ink missed that panel
Old 06-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2013
Pittsburgh

I actually like the X-Men films quite a bit, even though they butcher pretty much every character that isn't Wolverine.

I hope they do get the rights to the FF, not having Reed there with Tony and Bruce during SCIENCE talks is killing me.

No I didn't notice that about Inferno, I'm gonna have to take a look now.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:29 PM   #11

Jun 2012
Illinois

I am enjoying the main Secret Wars event, and have only read the Old Man Logan tie in so far. I've got a pile to get through this week before the next wave are released. I'm really liking the art by Ribic's art. Maybe it is just how Hickman has structured the story so far, but I really hope this event doesn't lose steam midway through.

I am getting a little nervous about what is going to happen to all of the comics/characters at the resolution of this event. It appears that Marvel is focusing mostly on the characters that their films are encompassing going forward, and trying to bring the comics more in line with that universe. I really hope that the day doesn't come when really start to drive the comics (and not the other way around). Also, I hope Spider-Man doesn't get re-numbered and start over (although it almost surely will). I get that it allows readers to jump on, but it completely disrupts the momentum they've been building, and I think that this would apply to any series. ASM is one of the only series I still get consistently from Marvel, and I don't know if it will make sense to keep popping out #1s every year or so.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

A new set of issue 1's is inevitable, and from what I've read Marvel could well be adopting a tv style season approach to the comics once Secret Wars is done. The days of high numbered comics are almost certainly over.

You can see why Marvel would do this though, as an entertainment company they now make the vast majority of their money from their movies, not their comics. So part of their strategy will be to bring new readers to the comics from the movies and tv shows; therefore they have to make the comics familiar or new readers will think "huh? This is totally different to what I just watched" and give up.

While Fox own the X characters, I think we will see fewer X comics and very little merchandise. It doesn't make business sense for Marvel to help promote a rival franchise (irony of ironies) but if Marvel ever get them back, then normal service will be resumed!
Thanks given by:
Jpapp25 (06-09-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 01:15 PM   #13

Jun 2012
Illinois

Totally agree with you. I can only wonder what would have happened if Sony hadn't let the quality of the Spider-man films slip and held Tightly into that property.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:35 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by partridge View Post
Hmm, I might give this a look; I gave up on Iron Man when Gillen wrote that ludicrous plot about Tony being adopted. Utter garbage, I'm still hoping that story gets erased and "normal service is resumed".

Only thing I don't like is the very cartoon like style; hopefully this is just for the promo and the actual comics will be a lot better!

Really enjoying Secret Wars though and the handful of associated titles I've picked up.

Nice piece here on what's going on outside the comics with FF and X-Men; understandable from Marvel to be honest and actually not all doom and gloom either!

http://io9.com/whats-behind-marvels-...rom-1707514860

One of the things that irritated me endlessly in my younger comic book buying days was the sheer number of spin off titles from X-Men, so I'd be more likely to buy future X comics if there were only a couple of them, for instance.
Wow great article. But insane. Having movie rights driving the comics in one sense (eg the X-Men and FF excision from merchandising) but on the other hand, ignoring movie popularity of characters and ruining (IMHO) characters as the movie popularity "apparently" doesn't affect comic popularity.

Honestly, I'm not happy at all with what is going on. X-23 is a great character, and I've all her solo books, the early NYX book, and the X-Force ones, but she is not Wolverine. And Jane Foster isn't Thor(ina). Why can't they be characters in their own rights rather than impostors? I don't care what way you cut it, to my feelings that is all they are. Just like say next Monday, someone else turned up to work in my place, sat at my desk, and pretended to be me. I'd call them an impostor. Everyone at work would call them impostors. And if you asked the person sitting in my chair under oath and on a lie detector, they'd admit they were an impostor. And unless they were sociopathic, they'd feel some form of shame for it. I can't see the difference with what Marvel is doing.

And imagine if they tried this BS in the movies, and we all turned up to see the next Thor movie, and Natalie Portman was playing Thor.

But for some bizarre reason it apparently doesn't apply to the comics.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #15

Jun 2012
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
And imagine if they tried this BS in the movies, and we all turned up to see the next Thor movie, and Natalie Portman was playing Thor.
This could be Marvel's next move with the films. It looks like they are setting up the transition for Chris Evans to Anthony Mackie or Sebastian Stan so I wouldn't put it past them that they would try and get Natalie Portman to sign on for films as Thor after Infinity War (or another female character in the Marvel Film Universe)
Old 04-16-2016, 04:00 PM   #16
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpapp25 View Post
This could be Marvel's next move with the films. It looks like they are setting up the transition for Chris Evans to Anthony Mackie or Sebastian Stan so I wouldn't put it past them that they would try and get Natalie Portman to sign on for films as Thor after Infinity War (or another female character in the Marvel Film Universe)
That won't happen. Natalie already has a bad relationship with marvel, and she won't even be in ragnarok. If anything, Hemsworth is going to sign on for more films, because his career when he's not playing thor has tanked.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:56 AM   #17
Banned

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma_Winstead View Post
That won't happen. Natalie already has a bad relationship with marvel, and she won't even be in ragnarok. If anything, Hemsworth is going to sign on for more films, because his career when he's not playing thor has tanked.
Obviously I believe you but do you have an article detailing this? I didn't know Natalie wouldn't be in Thor 3; how will it make sense story-wise to exclude her, since Thor came to Earth and they got together at the end of The Dark World?
Old 04-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #18
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayfriend View Post
Obviously I believe you but do you have an article detailing this? I didn't know Natalie wouldn't be in Thor 3; how will it make sense story-wise to exclude her, since Thor came to Earth and they got together at the end of The Dark World?
There's many out there. Here is one for you.

Natalie had a falling out when the original director of Thor 2, her friend, was let go of by marvel and replaced by the game of thrones guy. Since then she's had a rocky relationship with marvel, and seems she may just not return at all to the marvel universe. Or, they might save her final appearance for Infinity War. She had a three film contract. That's possible too.
Thanks given by:
blurayfriend (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 09:11 AM   #19
Banned

Jul 2011

That's a bummer, I liked Natalie. They can always recast, which we know they're fond of! If only it had been Gwyneth Paltrow who left; not only can I not stand her, everyone who saw IM3 knows there was a legitimate in-story reason to have exited her that would have made the movie ten times better had they not lamely backtracked on it. She hasn't even shown up since, she's completely extraneous and was a pretty irritating presence anyway.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

And just when was enjoying Iron Man, Bendis goes and ruins it. Again. He's the idiot that decided Stark is adopted.

To hell with Ri Ri, I'll be cancelling.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics