Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Cyber Monday Deals are Now Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Jack Reacher 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99
3 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Friday the 13th: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99

The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (Blu-ray)
$3.99
1 hr ago
Avatar - The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$81.31

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Black Sails: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Home Alone 2-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Friends: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.23
5 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 12-28-2007, 02:45 AM   #1

May 2007
wayne, nj
Send a message via AIM to devils3023
Default Blade Runner (1982) discussion thread

I just don't get it. What's supposed to be the big deal about this movie? When it came out I'd never seen it before and had no intention of buying, but after reading all the comments/threads about how great it was, and it's such a classic, a must buy, I decided to go ahead and order it. Well I just finished watching it and this movie is terrible!!! There was no story, very bland monotone voices by everyone, no real action, nothing to make you think or anything controversial about it. I didn't feel the least bit connected to the characters, no emotional attachment, nothing. Can someone please explain to me why the fuss over this movie? I feel like I just wasted $30 and 2 hrs of my life watching "the great Blade Runner".

EDIT: I've since cooled off about my disappointment with the movie and probably shouldn't have started this thread immediately after watching it. After re-reading my post I come across as close minded and overly harsh. I still however don't see what the fuss is all about over BR, it's average at best to me and Aliens as well as Back to the Future are much better sci-fi movies imo. Perhaps I'll give it a second look one day or watch the behind the scenes stuff.

Last edited by devils3023; 12-28-2007 at 04:15 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:47 AM   #2

Jan 2007
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils3023 View Post
I just don't get it. What's supposed to be the big deal about this movie? When it came out I'd never seen it before and had no intention of buying, but after reading all the comments/threads about how great it was, and it's such a classic, a must buy, I decided to go ahead and order it. Well I just finished watching it and this movie is terrible!!! There was no story, very bland monotone voices by everyone, no real action, nothing to make you think or anything controversial about it. I didn't feel the least bit connected to the characters, no emotional attachment, nothing. Can someone please explain to me why the fuss over this movie? I feel like I just wasted $30 and 2 hrs of my life watching "the great Blade Runner".
It was good back in that time, you're probably all spoiled with all the new special effects now a days so this movies doesn't impress... But for someone who grew up back then, this movie was one of the coolest of all times.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:47 AM   #3
Banned

Nov 2007

everybody is entitled to their own opinion
Old 12-28-2007, 02:48 AM   #4

Sep 2007

You're smoking crack

You wouldn't know a great movie if it jumped up and bit you in the hind end.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:48 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Blade Runner is not everyone's cup of tea. I didn't like Pulp Fiction a bit but it doesn't mean that the movie is awful.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:48 AM   #6
Power Member

Oct 2007
Dartmouth, NS, Canada

no he's not. i saw the movie back in the day and i fell asleep. i've since tried to watch it 3 more times and have fallen asleep every time. it's just bad. I think people think it is "cool" to like the movie, so they just do.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:49 AM   #7
Banned

Oct 2007
Philadelphia
Send a message via AIM to Caligula Send a message via Yahoo to Caligula

Quote:
Originally Posted by kknight View Post
It was good back in that time, you're probably all spoiled with all the new special effects now a days so this movies doesn't impress... But for someone who grew up back then, this movie was one of the coolest of all times.
LOL! Agreed! I said the samething when the movie ended, Damn we are spoiled to new special effects now a days!

I still think Blade runner is awesome!
Old 12-28-2007, 02:49 AM   #8

Jan 2007
UK

Quote:

LOL

I saw the hype over the movie etc and read it has a cult following, but to be honest ... other than the nice silver case I wouldnt want to watch it again I saw it when it was first out @ the theatres haha ... but there's no accounting for taste
Old 12-28-2007, 02:51 AM   #9

May 2007
wayne, nj

Well I knew going into it not to expect any great special effects or anything. It's not like I can't appreciate an old classic, I think scarface and goodfellas are excellent movies and they have none of the hollywood effects of today's movies. Also the Alien series is awesome as well, that's a great sci-fi flick that doesn't have today's eye candy either.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:53 AM   #10
Special Member

Mar 2007
'Couve, WA
Send a message via AIM to Whytewash Send a message via Yahoo to Whytewash

Im assuming you didnt like CE3K either?

Blade Runner is a movie that, back in the day, was the shit.

I have great respect for older special effects so this movie really appeals to me. Being a fan of all genres of movies, classic special effects will always hold a place in my movie collection. Im sorry that you didnt enjoy it!
Old 12-28-2007, 02:53 AM   #11

Jan 2007
UK

I use to love Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century but wouldnt want to watch it now lol caught an episode on satelite and it sucked lol
Old 12-28-2007, 02:53 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

I think of this movie in the same category as Brazil.

Sci-fi Classic.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:53 AM   #13

Sep 2007

*sigh* I fear for the future of our country
Old 12-28-2007, 02:53 AM   #14
Power Member

Jul 2007
I'm not drunk, I'm just tired cause I been up all night drinking.

The only title to ever get 5 stars in every category on highdefdigest.com.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:54 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Indianapolis, IN

I feel the same way about Transformers. After all the hype, my brother and I watched his copy he bought hd dvd. I thought it was good, but didn't think it was as great as everyone thought it was. To me Michael Bay films are mostly action and little else. I may rent Blade Runner to see what the big deal is, but then again I may not. Oh well, to each their own.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:54 AM   #16
Power Member

Nov 2007
The Last Frontier

You're not the only one who feels this way. It has a strong cult following which is why I never bothered to voice my opinion like you did. I'm a fan of Scott's movies but for some reason this one is my least favorite. I've been tempted to buy it as well as it's been a long time since I've seen it and I'm curious if watching in bluray would change my opinion.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:55 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
CT, US

Quote:
I feel like I just wasted $30 and 2 hrs of my life watching "the great Blade Runner".
Dont blame others for that one. It's your fault for not taking advantage of the wonderful world of home video rental, a la Netflix & Blockbuster stores.

I've heard only good things as well, so it immediately went into my Netflix queue.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:55 AM   #18

May 2007
wayne, nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
You're smoking crack

You wouldn't know a great movie if it jumped up and bit you in the hind end.
Please, tell me what makes this movie great? As I mentioned earlier, there is no plot, bad acting, no action and nothing that makes you think. I agree with what glenn-bob said, that it became "cool" to like this movie and so alot of people say they do.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:55 AM   #19
Special Member

Jun 2007

I saw it in the theaters in 82, and loved it. I have it sitting on the table in the other room and will be watching it this weekend. My wife has never seen it and is looking forward to it, but something tells me she won't care for it the same way I do.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:57 AM   #20
Banned

Oct 2007
Philadelphia
Send a message via AIM to Caligula Send a message via Yahoo to Caligula

I think back to the future effects look terrible(old) now but still a great movie, and it wasnt back ol days when it came out, same with blade runner in 82, the effects or concept of future was overwhelming. I grew up watching it with my older brother and it brought good memories.. worth watching it over and again. I can not wait to watch it with my brother in blu
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies