Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
 
The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$17.99
19 hrs ago
One Missed Call Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.03
6 hrs ago
Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 hr ago
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Titans: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
11 hrs ago
Wonder Woman: Bloodlines (Blu-ray)
$9.99
22 hrs ago
Phantom Thread (Blu-ray)
$5.99
14 hrs ago
Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
23 hrs ago
Supergirl: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
Shrek: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #41
Todd Tomorrow Todd Tomorrow is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Todd Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Anton View Post
I'm all but positive most people do not like Prometheus because of the writing.
The writing determines what type of film it is. So what's your point ?

Prometheus started out as a straight up Alien prequel and then Ridley Scott got ideas that it should be a more philosophical film along the lines of 2001. The writers tried to shoehorn existential themes (which were an old hat by then) into the Alien universe. The film then wasn't satisfying as a sci-fi horror movie along the lines of Alien because despite monsters it wasn't scary and it didn't work as the thinking persons sci-fi flick because it was as dumb as a brick.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
MechaGodzilla (03-19-2017), s2mikey (03-20-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #42
C. Anton C. Anton is offline
Power Member
 
Jan 2016
81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
The writing determines what type of film it is. So what's your point ?

Prometheus started out as a straight up Alien prequel and then Ridley Scott got ideas that it should be a more philosophical film along the lines of 2001. The writers tried to shoehorn existential themes (which were an old hat by then) into the Alien universe. The film then wasn't satisfying as a sci-fi horror movie along the lines of Alien because despite monsters it wasn't scary and it didn't work as the thinking persons sci-fi flick because it was as dumb as a brick.
You answered your own question.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:24 PM   #43
Todd Tomorrow Todd Tomorrow is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Todd Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Anton View Post
You answered your own question.
Then why were you lecturing me that it was the writing people didn't like when that was already implied my initial post.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:28 PM   #44
C. Anton C. Anton is offline
Power Member
 
Jan 2016
81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
Then why were you lecturing me that it was the writing people didn't like when that was already implied my initial post.
I don't think people were as concerned with there being no Aliens, and focused more on the actual plot, that was known before release. The final product reflects as much. I'm not lecturing you on anything, just providing my opinion as to why people didn't like the film. Did I misunderstand your op?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #45
Todd Tomorrow Todd Tomorrow is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Todd Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Anton View Post
I don't think people were as concerned with there being no Aliens, and focused more on the actual plot, that was known before release. The final product reflects as much. I'm not lecturing you on anything, just providing my opinion as to why people didn't like the film. Did I misunderstand your op?
I didn't say people were concerned that there are no aliens, especially as there are aliens in Prometheus. I think it's fairly clear what I did say and why I think the film doesn't work, I'm not going to repeat it. Anyway, enough of this, we are going in circles now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #46
C. Anton C. Anton is offline
Power Member
 
Jan 2016
81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
I didn't say people were concerned that there are no aliens, especially as there are aliens in Prometheus. I think it's fairly clear what I did say and why I think the film doesn't work, I'm not going to repeat it. Anyway, enough of this, we are going in circles now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiman04
People don't like Prometheus not because the lack of xenomprhs or because it was different though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow
I'm not so sure about that. Why do you think much of the trailer for Alien Covenant looks like a rerun of Alien, highlighting the presence of xenomorphs ? Scott appears to be attempting to address the bigges flaw of Prometheus. It was a prequel which couldn't make up its mind what type of film it wanted to be.
Circles indeed. Glad you've had enough of this, though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:33 AM   #47
aiman04 aiman04 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
aiman04's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
KIC8462852
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Anton View Post
I'm all but positive most people do not like Prometheus because of the writing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Anton View Post
Well I went in knowing this wasn't an Alien film, and by no means am I a critic, wannabe included, I just thought it was a stupid plot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Anton View Post
I don't think people were as concerned with there being no Aliens, and focused more on the actual plot, that was known before release. The final product reflects as much. I'm not lecturing you on anything, just providing my opinion as to why people didn't like the film. Did I misunderstand your op?
Thanks. While I agree some want more xenomorphs, it's not the problem of Prometheus, it has its own story and supposedly with philosophical elements that I was excited about. But the writing would've failed film school, and the "philosophy" was underwhelming. Even with those issues I still own the blu-ray.

I don't support remakes but I don't hate them, some can even be better. But new films pretending to be sequels with too much rehash makes me feel cheated. That is why I don't own The Force Awakens blu-ray. But that film made a lot of money, I think Sir Ridley saw that and try to use the same formula for Covenant, adding more xenomorphs, applying similar concepts of the original. This is why I'm kinda excited for Covenant, but I will be going with very low expectations. I hope it will be original enough for me to like it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
C. Anton (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #48
wonderer99 wonderer99 is offline
Power Member
 
wonderer99's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
Default

God if I disliked a film based on brainless dialogue or characters making dumb decisions I would probably dislike most of the films I enjoy including 80% of my childhood favourites and a good percentage of older "classics"

I enjoyed Prometheus because it entertained me. People scrutinise everything too much today.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Himmel (04-18-2017), ikhon (03-20-2017), Ulisez (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #49
levcore levcore is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
levcore's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Dryland
88
1681
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer99 View Post
God if I disliked a film based on brainless dialogue or characters making dumb decisions I would probably dislike most of the films I enjoy including 80% of my childhood favourites and a good percentage of older "classics"

I enjoyed Prometheus because it entertained me. People scrutinise everything too much today.
Where is the line drawn between scrutinising something 'just enough' and scrutinising it 'too much'? I'm not being flippant, it's a serious question.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #50
Cremildo Cremildo is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Cremildo's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
12
601
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer99 View Post
God if I disliked a film based on brainless dialogue or characters making dumb decisions I would probably dislike most of the films I enjoy including 80% of my childhood favourites and a good percentage of older "classics"

I enjoyed Prometheus because it entertained me. People scrutinise everything too much today.
Sci-fi expert John Kenneth Muir addressed this years ago in the article Death by a Thousand Nitpicks. Great read.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
LobsterPot (05-09-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #51
s2mikey s2mikey is offline
Banned
 
s2mikey's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Upstate, NY
50
244
33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
The writing determines what type of film it is. So what's your point ?

Prometheus started out as a straight up Alien prequel and then Ridley Scott got ideas that it should be a more philosophical film along the lines of 2001. The writers tried to shoehorn existential themes (which were an old hat by then) into the Alien universe. The film then wasn't satisfying as a sci-fi horror movie along the lines of Alien because despite monsters it wasn't scary and it didn't work as the thinking persons sci-fi flick because it was as dumb as a brick.
And it should have stayed a straight-up Alien prequel. This whole "engineers created us" BS was so stupid and terrible. Seriously? Thats what they came up with? Everyone knows Ridley hates religion and all that but my goodness. Stupidest idea ever. Then, they reduced the awesome Xenomorph into yet ANOTHER "science project gone bad" cliche. Lousy idea and it dumbed them down to nothing. ARGGHH!

I dont even mind Prometheus. Its OK, I guess but it does not feel like its part of the Alien universe or franchise that much at all. Very loosely tied at best. At the rate this is all going with strange choices and timeline issues it may simply be that the Alien "universe" remains a two-film franchise and thats IT. Sucks, because the real fans would love more but Im not accepting lame crap and ruining it. Not doing it.

Last edited by s2mikey; 03-20-2017 at 05:07 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #52
aiman04 aiman04 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
aiman04's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
KIC8462852
9
Default

Serious script issues in Prometheus at are not nitpicks. This is from Sir Ridley Scott, not some Transformers film where brains are not required.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
NegaScott128 (03-20-2017), Zillamon51 (05-09-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 01:12 AM   #53
Cremildo Cremildo is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Cremildo's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
12
601
7
Default



Ridley Scott isn't ruling out using CGI to bring young Ripley back

Quote:
While speaking with Empire (via Bloody Disgusting), Scott stated that he's planning at least two more films before connecting up with ALIEN. John Logan (ALIEN: COVENANT) is working on a "ten-page synopsis" with Ridley Scott and they "know where we're going with it." Once the sequels approach ALIEN territory, Scott added that he's not ruling out the idea of bringing Sigourney Weaver back as a digitally de-aged Ellen Ripley, saying "you could do that."
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:43 AM   #54
Gamma_Winstead Gamma_Winstead is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Gamma_Winstead's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.
106
737
36
6
Default

Eh, seems more like something they'd have as a small cameo. Like the last shot of the final film is Ash getting his orders and Ripley popping in to say "it's time to head out for the Nostromo!" Or something, not actually using her as a character.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:48 AM   #55
Cremildo Cremildo is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Cremildo's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
12
601
7
Default

Let's hope that'll be the case (if they do it at all). To this day I haven't seen a convincing digital rejuvenation of an older actor.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:09 AM   #56
dallywhitty dallywhitty is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
dallywhitty's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
UK
30
967
178
Default



I love you, Sir Ridley, but you're becoming increasingly senile.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #57
Cremildo Cremildo is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Cremildo's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
12
601
7
Default

Ridley Scott refers to Blomkamp's recently aborted Alien film as "Awakening", which is/was supposed to be the title of Scott's next Alien movie.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:20 PM   #58
LobsterPot LobsterPot is offline
Banned
 
Oct 2012
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiman04 View Post
Serious script issues in Prometheus at are not nitpicks. This is from Sir Ridley Scott, not some Transformers film where brains are not required.
If you have Brains then Prometheus isn't confusing to you.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Cremildo (05-10-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 11:20 PM   #59
Hoke Moseley Hoke Moseley is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Hoke Moseley's Avatar
 
Sep 2014
6
595
194
14
79
Default

Quote:
“We’re writing [a sequel] now, as we speak,” the director confirmed, before revealing that he fully expects to be behind the lens on Covenant‘s follow-up “within 14 months.”
I wonder how well Covenant will do at the box office...
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #60
Himmel Himmel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Himmel's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
USA
41
295
Default

Alien: Covenant sequel to be shooting by end of next year.

Quote:
Ridley Scott confirms his sequel to Alien: Covenant (and Prometheus) will be shooting within 14 months.
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/a...d-of-next-year
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Cremildo (05-10-2017)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:45 AM.