Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$17.99
19 hrs ago
One Missed Call Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.03
6 hrs ago
Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 hr ago
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Titans: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
11 hrs ago
Wonder Woman: Bloodlines (Blu-ray)
$9.99
22 hrs ago
Phantom Thread (Blu-ray)
$5.99
14 hrs ago
Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
23 hrs ago
Supergirl: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
Shrek: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 03-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #41
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Anton View Post
I'm all but positive most people do not like Prometheus because of the writing.
The writing determines what type of film it is. So what's your point ?

Prometheus started out as a straight up Alien prequel and then Ridley Scott got ideas that it should be a more philosophical film along the lines of 2001. The writers tried to shoehorn existential themes (which were an old hat by then) into the Alien universe. The film then wasn't satisfying as a sci-fi horror movie along the lines of Alien because despite monsters it wasn't scary and it didn't work as the thinking persons sci-fi flick because it was as dumb as a brick.
Thanks given by:
MechaGodzilla (03-19-2017), s2mikey (03-20-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #42
Power Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post

Prometheus started out as a straight up Alien prequel and then Ridley Scott got ideas that it should be a more philosophical film along the lines of 2001. The writers tried to shoehorn existential themes (which were an old hat by then) into the Alien universe. The film then wasn't satisfying as a sci-fi horror movie along the lines of Alien because despite monsters it wasn't scary and it didn't work as the thinking persons sci-fi flick because it was as dumb as a brick.
You answered your own question.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:24 PM   #43
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
You answered your own question.
Then why were you lecturing me that it was the writing people didn't like when that was already implied my initial post.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:28 PM   #44
Power Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
Then why were you lecturing me that it was the writing people didn't like when that was already implied my initial post.
I don't think people were as concerned with there being no Aliens, and focused more on the actual plot, that was known before release. The final product reflects as much. I'm not lecturing you on anything, just providing my opinion as to why people didn't like the film. Did I misunderstand your op?
Old 03-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #45
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
I don't think people were as concerned with there being no Aliens, and focused more on the actual plot, that was known before release. The final product reflects as much. I'm not lecturing you on anything, just providing my opinion as to why people didn't like the film. Did I misunderstand your op?
I didn't say people were concerned that there are no aliens, especially as there are aliens in Prometheus. I think it's fairly clear what I did say and why I think the film doesn't work, I'm not going to repeat it. Anyway, enough of this, we are going in circles now.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #46
Power Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
I didn't say people were concerned that there are no aliens, especially as there are aliens in Prometheus. I think it's fairly clear what I did say and why I think the film doesn't work, I'm not going to repeat it. Anyway, enough of this, we are going in circles now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiman04
People don't like Prometheus not because the lack of xenomprhs or because it was different though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow
I'm not so sure about that. Why do you think much of the trailer for Alien Covenant looks like a rerun of Alien, highlighting the presence of xenomorphs ? Scott appears to be attempting to address the bigges flaw of Prometheus. It was a prequel which couldn't make up its mind what type of film it wanted to be.
Circles indeed. Glad you've had enough of this, though.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:33 AM   #47
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2007
KIC8462852

Quote:
I'm all but positive most people do not like Prometheus because of the writing.
Quote:
Well I went in knowing this wasn't an Alien film, and by no means am I a critic, wannabe included, I just thought it was a stupid plot.
Quote:
Thanks. While I agree some want more xenomorphs, it's not the problem of Prometheus, it has its own story and supposedly with philosophical elements that I was excited about. But the writing would've failed film school, and the "philosophy" was underwhelming. Even with those issues I still own the blu-ray.

I don't support remakes but I don't hate them, some can even be better. But new films pretending to be sequels with too much rehash makes me feel cheated. That is why I don't own The Force Awakens blu-ray. But that film made a lot of money, I think Sir Ridley saw that and try to use the same formula for Covenant, adding more xenomorphs, applying similar concepts of the original. This is why I'm kinda excited for Covenant, but I will be going with very low expectations. I hope it will be original enough for me to like it.
Thanks given by:
C. Anton (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #48
Power Member

Apr 2010

God if I disliked a film based on brainless dialogue or characters making dumb decisions I would probably dislike most of the films I enjoy including 80% of my childhood favourites and a good percentage of older "classics"

I enjoyed Prometheus because it entertained me. People scrutinise everything too much today.
Thanks given by:
Himmel (04-18-2017), ikhon (03-20-2017), Ulisez (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #49
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer99 View Post
God if I disliked a film based on brainless dialogue or characters making dumb decisions I would probably dislike most of the films I enjoy including 80% of my childhood favourites and a good percentage of older "classics"

I enjoyed Prometheus because it entertained me. People scrutinise everything too much today.
Where is the line drawn between scrutinising something 'just enough' and scrutinising it 'too much'? I'm not being flippant, it's a serious question.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #50
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer99 View Post

Sci-fi expert John Kenneth Muir addressed this years ago in the article Death by a Thousand Nitpicks. Great read.
Thanks given by:
LobsterPot (05-09-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #51
Banned

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:

And it should have stayed a straight-up Alien prequel. This whole "engineers created us" BS was so stupid and terrible. Seriously? Thats what they came up with? Everyone knows Ridley hates religion and all that but my goodness. Stupidest idea ever. Then, they reduced the awesome Xenomorph into yet ANOTHER "science project gone bad" cliche. Lousy idea and it dumbed them down to nothing. ARGGHH!

I dont even mind Prometheus. Its OK, I guess but it does not feel like its part of the Alien universe or franchise that much at all. Very loosely tied at best. At the rate this is all going with strange choices and timeline issues it may simply be that the Alien "universe" remains a two-film franchise and thats IT. Sucks, because the real fans would love more but Im not accepting lame crap and ruining it. Not doing it.

Last edited by s2mikey; 03-20-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #52
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2007
KIC8462852

Serious script issues in Prometheus at are not nitpicks. This is from Sir Ridley Scott, not some Transformers film where brains are not required.
Thanks given by:
NegaScott128 (03-20-2017), Zillamon51 (05-09-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 01:12 AM   #53
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011

Ridley Scott isn't ruling out using CGI to bring young Ripley back

Quote:
While speaking with Empire (via Bloody Disgusting), Scott stated that he's planning at least two more films before connecting up with ALIEN. John Logan (ALIEN: COVENANT) is working on a "ten-page synopsis" with Ridley Scott and they "know where we're going with it." Once the sequels approach ALIEN territory, Scott added that he's not ruling out the idea of bringing Sigourney Weaver back as a digitally de-aged Ellen Ripley, saying "you could do that."
Old 04-18-2017, 01:43 AM   #54
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Eh, seems more like something they'd have as a small cameo. Like the last shot of the final film is Ash getting his orders and Ripley popping in to say "it's time to head out for the Nostromo!" Or something, not actually using her as a character.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:48 AM   #55
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011

Let's hope that'll be the case (if they do it at all). To this day I haven't seen a convincing digital rejuvenation of an older actor.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:09 AM   #56
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2009
UK

I love you, Sir Ridley, but you're becoming increasingly senile.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #57
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011

Ridley Scott refers to Blomkamp's recently aborted Alien film as "Awakening", which is/was supposed to be the title of Scott's next Alien movie.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:20 PM   #58
Banned

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiman04 View Post
Serious script issues in Prometheus at are not nitpicks. This is from Sir Ridley Scott, not some Transformers film where brains are not required.
If you have Brains then Prometheus isn't confusing to you.
Thanks given by:
Cremildo (05-10-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 11:20 PM   #59
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2014

Quote:
“We’re writing [a sequel] now, as we speak,” the director confirmed, before revealing that he fully expects to be behind the lens on Covenant‘s follow-up “within 14 months.”
I wonder how well Covenant will do at the box office...
Old 05-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #60
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2012
USA

Alien: Covenant sequel to be shooting by end of next year.

Quote:
Ridley Scott confirms his sequel to Alien: Covenant (and Prometheus) will be shooting within 14 months.
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/a...d-of-next-year
Thanks given by:
Cremildo (05-10-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies