Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$17.99
20 hrs ago
One Missed Call Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.03
7 hrs ago
Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
2 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Supergirl: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
Wonder Woman: Bloodlines (Blu-ray)
$9.99
23 hrs ago
Titans: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
12 hrs ago
Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Shrek: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Automotive

Old 12-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #1

Nov 2011
Kansas City
Default Should I trade my Jeep Cherokee for a Toyota?

I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee (Latitude, FWD, 4 cylinder engine). I'll have it paid off in a few months. I'm considering selling it and getting a Toyota, probably a Camry or Corolla. I'm wanting to get thoughts from people on whether this is a wise move.

Here's my thinking:
The Jeep's transmission is, and always has been, jerky and unresponsive. And unpredictably so. When I start moving on a slight upward incline I never know if the car is going to accelerate smoothly, or act like the transmission is disengaged from the engine for three seconds before jerking me back in my seat. It's annoying as hell.

There are also lots of little things that bug me about it. Strange rattles, whistles, creaks. Nothing that individually are very bad, but together give the feel of just a not very good quality car.

I've only got 34,000 miles on it so I haven't had any major repairs yet, but my main car desire at this point in my life is reliability. I'd like to own a car that gives me confidence that it'll still be running trouble-free in another 100k+ miles. From what I've researched about Jeeps, this is not the brand for that.

Which leads me, unsurprisingly, to Toyota. I've never owned a Toyota but their reputation for reliability is hugely appealing to me. I'm looking to make a lateral swap, the idea being to replace what I currently have with something that'll last longer, without spending any money.

Is my plan solid? What would you guys do?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

a lateral swap is pretty much impossible. unless you drive it off the lot of one dealer and onto another dealer's lot, you'll never get anywhere near what you want or what would be considered a good deal. especially from a dealer. that's just not the way they work, unfortunately. so you'll have to spend some money either up front or with monthly payments.

UNLESS...

you sell the jeep to an individual for a decent amount and already know where you can get camry for the same amount. but going through dealers, you'll always get the bare minimum for anything. well, maybe if you're trading in a new corvette on a new kia, THEN maybe you can come out on the positive side. but even then they'll low-ball you so they don't have to pay out as much as it'd actually be worth.

so definitely do shopping around and make sure whatever car you decide on you're allowed to take it to a mechanic of your choosing and have them look at it. using a dealer's mechanic is someone who will always side with the dealer.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #3

Nov 2011
Kansas City

Yeah, I should have mentioned my plan was to sell the Jeep privately to get as close to the retail value as possible.

I guess I'm wanting assurance that I'm being reasonable with my line of thinking. Is switching to a "reliable brand" worth the hassle? Or is the difference in reliability between the Jeep and the Toyota negligible, and I'm just going to give myself a headache for nothing?
Old 12-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

switching to something that's more reliable is never a hassle, in the long run.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:47 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
Behind the wheel of my Civic [DX]

I love that design/styling of those Jeep Latitude models. That SUV is a beaut! Too bad that it is giving you problems, though.
Thanks given by:
Wingman1977 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Take the Jeep to a Jeep dealership and have them give it a full inspection and get it fixed at once (if it's affordable).
Old 12-13-2018, 10:37 PM   #7

Nov 2011
Kansas City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
Take the Jeep to a Jeep dealership and have them give it a full inspection and get it fixed at once (if it's affordable).
I don't think the transmission issue is fixable. From the numerous accounts I've read, including Consumer Reports, it's just the way these transmissions are.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:25 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiman View Post
I don't think the transmission issue is fixable. From the numerous accounts I've read, including Consumer Reports, it's just the way these transmissions are.
You won't know until you take her to have it checked out.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Automotive