Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ford v Ferrari 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$34.98

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$29.58
11 hrs ago
It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$29.58
11 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-8 (Blu-ray)
AU$151.20
14 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
AU$39.98
14 hrs ago
The Angry Birds Movie 2 (Blu-ray)
AU$21.58
5 hrs ago
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$50.69
19 hrs ago
It: Chapter Two (Blu-ray)
AU$23.98
15 hrs ago
American Gangster 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$23.98
12 hrs ago
Avengers: Endgame 4K (Blu-ray)
AU$19.98
15 hrs ago
Captain Marvel (Blu-ray)
AU$9.93
16 hrs ago
The Expanse: Season Three (Blu-ray)
AU$27.98
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia

Old 05-19-2019, 08:08 AM   #181
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
Okay so it seems the Australian version of John Wick 3 has been censored in one shot.
[Show spoiler] At the end of an early fight scene involving knives there is according to numerous reports I confirmed in the Movie forum that John Wick slowly sticks a knife in an opponents eye - in our version the shot has been zoomed in so the victims face is now out of frame and we only hear a squelchy sound effect as the knife does its damage off screen
That's a shame, that shot gets a very loud reaction from audiences
Thanks given by:
Aunt Peg (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 08:15 AM   #182
Power Member

Feb 2012
Australia

Quote:
Yeah except its a Lionsgate title (distributed here by StudioCanal) and all Lionsgate 4K titles (including those distributed by Roadshow) are just imports of the U.S disc. Its possible also that StudioCanal may release an uncut version (I'm assuming R rated) on disc - they cut King Of Thieves for an M rating for the cinemas but the home version is uncut MA.
John Wick 2 here is a different disc to the Lionsgate release. The US release is a BD100, the local (and UK) release is a BD66.

The 4K here will probably be uncut, but the BD will almost certainly be cut. And Id rather import out of principle.
Thanks given by:
Aunt Peg (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 08:35 AM   #183

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayButler91 View Post
John Wick 2 here is a different disc to the Lionsgate release. The US release is a BD100, the local (and UK) release is a BD66.

The 4K here will probably be uncut, but the BD will almost certainly be cut. And Id rather import out of principle.
Yeah I understand importing on principal but we dont know yet that the local release will be uncut - with the exception of recent Paramount titles Bumblebee and Instant Family, other censored cinema releases from other distributors have been released uncut on Blu ray. And I have the local 4K release of John Wick 2 and the 4K version is definitely the U.S Lionsgate disc - the U.K one was from Warner Brothers. The Blu ray however has a Warner menu and is cut.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #184
Special Member

Jan 2016
Melbourne

Quote:
Oh...and further censorship. Rocketman the upcoming Elton John biopic got an MA rating for language. The distributor cut the film and resubmitted it and it still got an MA so they are now appealing. I guess if they are unsuccessful in the appeal then the MA version they will be forced to show should be uncut - or they win the appeal and release it cut or worse yet cut it even further.
Paramount vs the oflc are an absolute mess at the moment. Bumblebee should be PG uncut coz it seems paramount desire a certain rating and are not getting it. I hope that like Netflix, the oflc allows the film studios to self rate content that they make during the production stage which will save time and money.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #185
Power Member

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAObros View Post
Paramount vs the oflc are an absolute mess at the moment. Bumblebee should be PG uncut coz it seems paramount desire a certain rating and are not getting it. I hope that like Netflix, the oflc allows the film studios to self rate content that they make during the production stage which will save time and money.
It's funny with Netflix self rating that sometimes they are very harsh on themselves. Having recently watched Lunatics for the life of me I cannot understand why it was rated R - sure the language is very very crude and there is a lot of it, in particular the 'c' word, but MA would have been fine.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:46 AM   #186

Sep 2011

Seriously, why the hell is this censoring business even still happening in this day and age? They're still not content with having massive classification labels printed on the covers here warning sensitive viewers and seem to think that we as consumers must be forced to only see what they think we should see. And then shell out money for it. It's bad enough that they're tampering with someone else's art... It's a bloody joke and yet another indication of this country's slide in to a nanny state.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #187

Oct 2016

Quote:
Oh...and further censorship. Rocketman the upcoming Elton John biopic got an MA rating for language. The distributor cut the film and resubmitted it and it still got an MA so they are now appealing. I guess if they are unsuccessful in the appeal then the MA version they will be forced to show should be uncut - or they win the appeal and release it cut or worse yet cut it even further.
Based on the Review Board decision (which mentions a use of the c-word justified by context), the M-rated version is uncut.
Thanks given by:
Aunt Peg (05-23-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #188
Power Member

May 2013

Now Madman are getting in on the act. From the Refused Classification Website:

Mystify: Michael Hutchence

Directed by Richard Lowenstein / 2019 / Australia / IMDb

On May 31, 2019 a 102-minute print of MYSTIFY MICHAEL HUTCHENCE was passed with a MA15+ (Strong coarse language) rating.

The extended classification information described,
Strong impact: language
Moderate impact: themes
Mild impact: drug use, sex
Very mild: violence, nudity

Madman Entertainment resubmitted the film in a modified version that also ran 102-minutes. On June 12 it received an M (Mature themes and coarse language) rating.

The extended classification now described,
Moderate impact: themes, language
Mild impact: drug use, sex
Very mild: violence, nudity

MYSTIFY MICHAEL HUTCHENCE is due to open on July 4, 2019.
Thanks given by:
hiwilliam (06-25-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #189
Power Member

May 2013

Confirmation that King of Thieves home video release is uncut from Refused Classification website:

Uncut for home viewing

In April 2019, a 126m DVD of KING OF THIEVES was passed with an MA15+ (Strong coarse language) rating. The submission was described as being the HOME ENTERTAINMENT RELEASE.

The extended classification information described,
Strong impact: language
Mild impact: themes, violence, nudity, sex
Very mild: drug use
Thanks given by:
hiwilliam (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 07:22 AM   #190

May 2019

Distributors should realise nobody gives a shit about ratings here. Our classification system is awful and inconsistent.
Thanks given by:
Aunt Peg (06-25-2019), hiwilliam (06-25-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 04:00 AM   #191

Aug 2009

Quote:
Okay so it seems the Australian version of John Wick 3 has been censored in one shot.
[Show spoiler] At the end of an early fight scene involving knives there is according to numerous reports I confirmed in the Movie forum that John Wick slowly sticks a knife in an opponents eye - in our version the shot has been zoomed in so the victims face is now out of frame and we only hear a squelchy sound effect as the knife does its damage off screen
Well this isn't full confirmation about the Blu-ray release yet but I noted that on Australian iTunes the pre-order for this is now classified "R18+" with the advisory of "High Impact Violence". The slightly cut cinema version (see spoiler above) was "MA15+" which accorded to the OFLC site was partly due to "Strong Impact Violence". So I guess that one single shot is the difference between an MA and a R in this country.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:17 AM   #192
Special Member

Jan 2016
Melbourne

Quote:
Well this isn't full confirmation about the Blu-ray release yet but I noted that on Australian iTunes the pre-order for this is now classified "R18+" with the advisory of "High Impact Violence". The slightly cut cinema version (see spoiler above) was "MA15+" which accorded to the OFLC site was partly due to "Strong Impact Violence". So I guess that one single shot is the difference between an MA and a R in this country.
Despite me hating the censorship for 2 I saw this in the cinemas and
[Show spoiler]thought that the cut of this shot was incredibly well done and I couldn't tell that it was censored
Old 08-15-2019, 03:53 AM   #193

Aug 2009

Okay so EzyDVD and Booktopia have updated the artwork for John Wick 3 and it appears that the Blu-ray version will be MA15+ , the same as the cinema version with the censoring of one shot
[Show spoiler] shot of knife going into persons eye
while the 4k version is now R18+. So Studiocanal is obviously pressing their own blu ray but sourcing the 4k disc from either U.S or U.K both of whom didn't censor the cinema version. This is unfortunately the second John Wick film to be released in a censored version on Blu ray - for Chapter 2 Studiocanal used the censored U.K blu ray for our version but the 4K was uncut. So if you only buy blu rays or want an uncut blu ray to go with the 4K disc will need to seek out overseas version of Chapter 3 I'm afraid.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:15 AM   #194

Aug 2019
Australia

I assume that the standard Blu-ray included with the John Wick 3 UHD set will be identical to the Australian cut MA15+ disc.

As UHD discs are region free and are likely more or less identical worldwide, I think it would be very unlikely that the studios will produce a censored UHD disc for our miniscule market unless there is one being produced for the UK (as was the case with the Bumblebee UHD, as we had received the censored UK disc instead).
Old 08-15-2019, 05:24 AM   #195

Aug 2019
Australia

Quote:
So I guess that one single shot is the difference between an MA and a R in this country.
That is pretty stupid. It seems that there was a turning point some time over the last 10, 15 years where the ACB applies the guidelines in a stupidly arbitrary fashion. They used to be a lot more permissible in the past, and a second or two of footage should not make the difference between an MA15+ and R18+ unless there is an explicit sexual act depicted (or a scene of real graphic violence). The scene in question sounds pretty similar to what was depicted in Kill Bill Volume 2 and that was rated MA15+ (though it was pretty farcical in its depiction).

Likewise, I was shocked when watching Lady Bird on Blu-ray (the uncut MA15+ version) precisely because of how petty the ACB were in their application of the guidelines. They awarded the film an MA15+ for a blink-or-you'll-miss-it instance of nudity within a magazine. There have been films with full-frontal male nudity that have been rated M for a hell of a lot more than what was shown in Lady Bird. Likewise, the coarse language wasn't frequent or aggressive enough to warrant an MA15+ (in my opinion), and the two passing uses of the C-word should have been permitted at the M category. In fact, branding the C-word with an MA15+ by default is a fairly recent practice. Content up until the mid 2000s would routinely get away with a use or two of the C-word at the M classification without issue (so long as its use was infrequent).

The only times that I think the C-word should be given an automatic MA15+ is if it is used in a sexually explicit fashion or when used aggressively in conjunction with an act of violence, say, if a woman is being hit and being called that word. Likewise, the use of such language by children would also increase the viewing impact of the word, I feel; so, if there was a Stand By Me like film where children are casually throwing the word around, I too think that should warrant an MA15+.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:56 AM   #196

Sep 2011

Quote:
So if you only buy blu rays or want an uncut blu ray to go with the 4K disc will need to seek out overseas version of Chapter 3 I'm afraid.
Yeah, that's what I've done. I even re-bought the first John Wick flick after discovering that its UK & US counterparts had Atmos audio tracks when ours didn't.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia