Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Big Bang Theory: The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
Supergirl: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
Titans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.55
9 hrs ago
Doom Patrol: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
8 hrs ago
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99

The Hunger Games: Complete 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
4 hrs ago
The Flash: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
3 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$37.99
7 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79

Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 09-05-2019, 09:41 PM   #21
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2015
Christ Church, Barbados

Thanks given by:
Foggy (09-05-2019), MattJ1991 (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 09:42 PM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Under an arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkprkprk View Post
Maybe not soon, but eventually. Similar to how westerns, musicals, slashers, "found footage", romcoms, etc. all had their time in the sun before over-saturating the theatrical marketplace. Not to say they can't be popular ever again afterwards, but everything reaches a peak at some point.
Found footage had time in the sun? When!? I'm not missing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreasyBear View Post
Maybe sometime in the next 10 years there will be enough bombs and flops for the studios to stop producing them in such quantities, but as long as they make money, they'll keep making them. No one stays on top forever. Even the MCU will eventually fizzle out. I feel like post Endgame, they'll lose a lot of interest from mainstream audiences since Iron Man and Cap are gone.
It will be interesting to see how much the MCU has been driven by nostalgia. I loved the run but Captain Marvel and Spider-man put a stain on it, for me. I had intended to collect all Marvel films but with Lady Thor and the Eternals coming up, I'm starting to lose interest. I have no recollection of either one in the comics and am annoyed by the influence of the current generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman35 View Post
In my opinion it can't die soon enough. The art film has been lost in favor of these retreads of superhero movies that make a gazillion dollars because appreciation for quality film-making has sadly declined. I know everything comes down to money, but it doesn't mean I have to like what results from it (in this case quality films trying (and often failing) to out-muscle or grab any market share from the 62nd worthless superhero movie that no one will care about in 10 years).
Ending superhero movies won't get people to appreciate quality films. Only education can do that. There is also no lack of non-superhero movies for you to watch.

Also, what Foggy said.
Thanks given by:
Foggy (09-06-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 09:49 PM   #23
Power Member

Aug 2008
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon1281 View Post
Found footage had time in the sun? When!? I'm not missing it.
It was a while back and it didn't last anywhere near as long as the other examples I mentioned, but the Paranormal Activity series, The Devil Inside, and various other found footage movies did quite well at the box office (until they didn't, and the flop of Blair Witch seemed to be the last nail in the coffin).
Thanks given by:
Cremildo (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #24
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
It was a while back and it didn't last anywhere near as long as the other examples I mentioned, but the Paranormal Activity series, The Devil Inside, and various other found footage movies did quite well at the box office (until they didn't, and the flop of Blair Witch seemed to be the last nail in the coffin).
Huh? Are we in the same reality? The Blair Witch Project had a budget of $60k and pulled in $250M!

Or did you mean the sequels?
Old 09-05-2019, 09:56 PM   #25
Expert Member

Mar 2017
WNY

Quote:
I would argue that fad started with Cloverfield in 2008 since the gap between that and The Blair Witch Project was 9 years and then fittingly dying with Blair Witch as you said. But people definitely liked those movies for whatever reason.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:58 PM   #26
Power Member

Aug 2008
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
Huh? Are we in the same reality? The Blair Witch Project had a budget of $60k and pulled in $250M!

Or did you mean the sequels?
I meant the 2016 Blair Witch.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:00 PM   #27
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011

Of course it will. No fad lasts forever. Cultural preferences shift all the time.

But I suspect it might take a long time.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:01 PM   #28
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
I meant the 2016 Blair Witch.
Oh, OK. I knew there must be some miscommunication going on.

The 1999 version was beyond successful and pretty much started the whole thing. It also scared the hell out of me. I've been lost, at night, in the cold, in the woods -- it's really, really creepy. And that movie brought all of that back.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #29
Expert Member

Jul 2015
Flat earth, upper Left hand Corner:)

That's like saying , " will the action films Bubble burst? , Will the drama films Bubble burst?, Will the comedy films Bubble burst?" It's merely a lack of insight and attention as it regards those who view all of one Genre as being an unending collection of films that are exact copies of each other... ACTION: Rambo, Fast and the Furious, Bourne. DRAMA: 12 years a slave, Shawshank redemption, The Godfather. Comedy: Happy Gilmore, Monte Python, Tropic Thunder. Superhero: The Winter Soldier, Wanted, Kick-Ass...It's all about well written representations and snapshots of different human experiences and moments within life and how we consume and digest those experiences, as well as how that changes us and our way of thinking and our over all behavior. These are all pieces and shards of other people's lives, their hopes and dreams as well as the imaginations. Some situations and events are over the top but the messages and beliefs are presented for us to Muse over
Thanks given by:
Jegærn (11-19-2019), Rooper (09-09-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 10:11 PM   #30
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2013
Orlando, FL

If the comic book/superhero film genre is eventually going to fade away, I wonder what the next big "trend" in Hollywood is going to be
Old 09-05-2019, 10:24 PM   #31
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip c. Niethe View Post
That's like saying , " will the action films Bubble burst? , Will the drama films Bubble burst?, Will the comedy films Bubble burst?" It's merely a lack of insight and attention.........
Not sure where the equivalence is. "Superhero movies" is more specific than "drama" or "comedy" or "action". The latter ones are examples of genres; the former is a subgenre, or even subject matter.

Of course there will always be action or drama movies about any given subject, but superhero movies in particular won't always be this popular precisely because they're a specific trend. It's like saying the found footage (subgenre) bubble will never burst because people will always like horror (genre) movies, or that the disaster movie bubble will never burst because people will always like action movies etc.
Thanks given by:
edmoney (09-06-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 10:54 PM   #32
Expert Member

Jul 2015
Flat earth, upper Left hand Corner:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremildo View Post
Not sure where the equivalence is. "Superhero movies" is more specific than "drama" or "comedy" or "action". The latter ones are examples of genres; the former is a subgenre, or even subject matter.

Of course there will always be action or drama movies about any given subject, but superhero movies in particular won't always be this popular precisely because they're a specific trend. It's like saying the found footage (subgenre) bubble will never burst because people will always like horror (genre) movies, or that the disaster movie bubble will never burst because people will always like action movies etc.
No, Found Footage is a camera Technique. Superheroes have been around since 4000 B.C. and there are literally Tens of Thousands of unique main characters with the running theme of being born different, or genetically modified, angel or god half breed, consumption of chemicals or the addition of technology to go on the Classic Hero's Journey...not only has the comic book hero type been around for the last 90 plus years but the Hero Genre has existed with the Iliad the Odyssey and Greek and Roman gods and demigods , The Egyptian book of the Dead, The Anunnaki, The Nephilim, The Viking Wodan and so on... Hero or Superheroes is definitely a Genre of it's own and not a subgenre...would you not agree with this assessment?
(Edit: Studios will likely slow down and produce a more evenly matched selection of Genres per year about 20 years from now but the Hero Genre will remain a staple until films cease as a form of entertainment and are replaced with Total Recall or Holograms or the future legalization of brothels unless the Apocalypse comes first and then we all go back to book reading or oral stories)

Last edited by Phillip c. Niethe; 09-05-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:36 AM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2015
Alabama

There will always be superhero films but I'm sure eventually they will fizzle down, just like western and slasher films have. Every now and then there will be one 'big' one that either does something fresh or just gives the people something they haven't had in awhile.

I am kind of curious how many people out there have declared it 'quits' after Endgame/FFH. I can't imagine many it would be interesting to see if Phase 4whatever takes in the same box office numbers.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:50 AM   #34

Apr 2018
UK

Old 09-06-2019, 12:58 AM   #35

May 2017

I know me personally after Endgame, the only MCU movies I am REALLY looking forward to is Doctor Strange and the 3rd Guardians of the Galaxy. I don't know much about any of their newer properties, but will probably get them on home media. In 5+ years from now when the X-Men and Fantastic Four get the Marvel treatment I'm sure I'll be waiting with baited breath again. But for now its a break between characters I care about.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:01 AM   #36
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

this thread is click bait if I've ever seen it. the title alone will eventually have people at each others throats. here we are, yet again.
Thanks given by:
gkolb (10-29-2019), InuYashaCrusade (09-06-2019), mwynn (09-06-2019), pwarner184 (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 01:04 AM   #37
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
this thread is click bait if I've ever seen it. the title alone will eventually have people at each others throats. here we are, yet again.
Well, it's worked with me so far; I have the most posts. Heh.

I'm pretty sure, though, that I haven't been at anyone's throat.
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 01:58 AM   #38
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsteam View Post
There will always be superhero films but I'm sure eventually they will fizzle down, just like western and slasher films have. Every now and then there will be one 'big' one that either does something fresh or just gives the people something they haven't had in awhile.

I am kind of curious how many people out there have declared it 'quits' after Endgame/FFH. I can't imagine many it would be interesting to see if Phase 4whatever takes in the same box office numbers.
I jumped ship from the MCU after Iron Man 3 and I liked Iron Man 3 as it was a major yet flawed improvement over 2, which felt more like a commercial for The Avengers and jumped ship from the genre as a whole after Man of Steel. It all began to run out of gas and became outright stale. I thought Wonder Woman and Black Panther would get me back in the fold due to their respective acclaim but they didn't.
I have been liking movies like Logan, Deadpool and Nolan's Dark Knight saga (except for Rises) because movies like those feel different and something much more than the dime a dozen superhero flicks out there.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:15 AM   #39
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelluloidPal View Post
I jumped ship from the MCU after Iron Man 3 and I liked Iron Man 3 as it was a major yet flawed improvement over 2, which felt more like a commercial for The Avengers and jumped ship from the genre as a whole after Man of Steel. It all began to run out of gas and became outright stale. I thought Wonder Woman and Black Panther would get me back in the fold due to their respective acclaim but they didn't.
I have been liking movies like Logan, Deadpool and Nolan's Dark Knight saga (except for Rises) because movies like those feel different and something much more than the dime a dozen superhero flicks out there.
I sort of get where you're coming from in general. But I just have to say that you really missed out on Endgame. God that was an awesome movie, and in absolutely NO way whatsoever, "A dime a dozen." It's easily one of the best films I've seen in years -- and I don't mean CBM. Just movies. It's just brilliant on so many levels.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:19 AM   #40

Oct 2009

I think the superhero films will last longer than something like biblical epics or westerns just because of the number of characters and source material to use for movies.

I think in some ways the superhero had has already started to fizzle out. The MCU is doing well because it's still in the first iteration of those characters. Audiences have been less open to those characters getting rebooted, like Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, Dark Phoenix. Would audiences be open to reboots of Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Wolverine, and others remains to be seen.

Those solo superhero movies that have done well have been for characters that are new to the big screen: Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, etc. So audiences seem open to exploring new characters, but will it last? Company Ant-man and the Wasp to Spider-man: Far from home. Both came after big event films and released in the summer, but the former (while not a bomb) was nowhere near the success of other recent MCU films.

Now that we've had a few of the large team-up style films, will those still be appealing to audiences, or will they get bored with those types of stories?

I still expect to see a lot of Superhero films, but I don't think they will dominate the box office in quite the same way they did from 2000 - 2019.
Thanks given by:
Bolo Seagull (09-07-2019), rui no onna (09-06-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies