Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.55
6 hrs ago
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Doom Patrol: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
The Hunger Games: Complete 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$37.99
4 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79

Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.96

The Flash: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
30 min ago
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Supernatural: The Complete Fourteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
3 hrs ago
50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 10-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #141

Oct 2008
Send a message via ICQ to Spitfrnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by r32 View Post
Upper : BDP-LX91 / KRP-600M KURO, pure mode
Lower : PS3(1G) / VW1000ES, reference mode, bright mode, Reality Creation on

Both are not calibrated.
Thanks very much for that. Although posted shots are not quite the same as the real thing, the KRP Kuro shots appear significantly brighter to me and that is a $25K projector. Maybe there is no projector that would make me happy afterall; most unfortunate?
Old 12-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #142

Jan 2013

well it's always interesting to read through a thread which started 5 years ago and finishing today.
we get to see a lot of people reviewing projectors, I'm sure 5 years ago posters were excited about the new projectors and noobs were looking to get into the market and buy their first PJ. now 5 years later, technology has sped up even more. and I am sure 5 years from now today's PJ's will seem out dated.
I have a few questions.

1: if you buy a projector today, a reasonable priced one say $2500.00
how long will it last? sure you can change the bulbs, every 3 years, but with the way technology changes, I mean for someone who buys a great PJ at 2500 today, will he still be happy with it 8 years from now?

He will read about new pj's on the market, better contrast, better PQ, etc etc
so he might feel inclined to replace it right? because he will feel the picture quality is not good now due to new reviews on new gear.

but that is the funny point of the question.. WHY is he not satisfied now?
he was perfectly satisfied before when he made the purchase, but now feels he is not. why?
sure we all enjoy looking over the fence but that shouldn't mean your setup doesn't serve your purpose and is not great.

I have a 50" Plasma, I bought 7 years ago. I have no reason at all to change it, except for the fact the redline of death just showed up, so I called Samsung and they said, 400 bucks we will replace the screen for you.

I'm thinking.. emmmm I think I want a bigger screen. 65" so I will buy a new tv
for me BIGGER is better, but, nothing wrong with the 50"

and I am sure when I buy my new plasma it will serve me for 10 years.or until it breaks.
movies I watch today on my 50", will look the same 10 years from today.
so I should be perfectly happy right?

but I feel some people are not happy.
they start off happy, then they are out for more, better, and then tell themselves, convince themselves they need to change, ohh MR SO AND SO has the 4397 model, it's far better than mine.. I need that one too

BUT do you? you just watched BEN HUR on your system and you were blown away, now you compare it to something else, for the SLIGHTEST detail and now you feel compelled to change your system.

I guess this is what manufactures want, they need consumers like us who will always want to change. whenever I go to the electronic section of the department store.. I enjoy looking at the new toys.. BUT.. I don't feel I HAVE TO OWN THAT! I have my 50" and I am happy with it. sure desire kicks in.
but then I think. I bought this tv because I liked it, so it should suit me for now. hey I wouldn't through a 65" samsung out the window if my wife bought it home for me LOL ..

people who change their I phones every year. because they have too have the newest gadget. they change their tv every year, their cars, etc..
ok sure if you can afford it.. go for it..
but for the people who can't afford to do that, or just don't want to pay out more for it.
but what I want to know is.. DO you really have to?
if I buy a projector would I feel unsatisfied with my BEN HUR viewing after 5 years? 10 years? because I will see newer pj's on the market which try to convince me that my old model isn't as good?
technically when will my projector need replacing?
what is the self life?
sorry for the long rant. LOL
Old 12-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #143
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Projectors are still getting much better every year. I for one am happy about that.

I started using projectors in 1999 with a CRT FP Sony VPH1271.

I think maybe the one I have now is the 5th and it's the first that isn't CRT based... I think I've had it for 3 years.

I'm still loving it and so is my family as far as I can tell. I must have put 10 hours on it yesterday alone. (movies and video games.)

I have no itch to replace it and if if lasts another 4 years,.. I may be able to replace it with an UHD model.

If you really want to be happy for five years with something which is currently quickly evolving as fast as projectors for the home, you best off not reading constantly about the new models.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #144

Feb 2009
WA

my 2c.....

I just spend $2500 on a projector and i'm looking forward to 5+ years with it. When I was looking in to pj's I could get good pj for $1500 and be happy with it, but I think I would itch to look for better one soon. With $2500 my next upgrade will have to be something noticeably better and that would be $7500+ pj's. And there is no way on this earth I will spend that much on pj.....
As soon as you buy a good projector, it will fell like there is new one out already and better. As long as you don't have to have latest and greatest all the time you should be happy with $2500 pj for a while.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #145

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruSSrt View Post
my 2c.....

I just spend $2500 on a projector and i'm looking forward to 5+ years with it. When I was looking in to pj's I could get good pj for $1500 and be happy with it, but I think I would itch to look for better one soon. With $2500 my next upgrade will have to be something noticeably better and that would be $7500+ pj's. And there is no way on this earth I will spend that much on pj.....
As soon as you buy a good projector, it will fell like there is new one out already and better. As long as you don't have to have latest and greatest all the time you should be happy with $2500 pj for a while.
yeah I guess 5 years or so is a fair assessment I mean I will be happy with spending 4000 dollars on a PJ and having it for 8 years before I wanted to change it, maybe have to change the bulb once in that time? or maybe twice lets say, so you end up spending 5000 dollars for 8-10 years of viewing..
not bad to me.. I mean my PC is already 5 years old, and in PC terms is ancient,and I have no plans on upgrading. it does what I need it to do, my car is 6 years old. not even thinking about changing that.
my tv is 6 years old, and I am gonna change it because I have too.
but not in a hurry, so I will probably wait another 1 or 2 years.

so yeah 10 years for a PJ life span.. AWESOME.
I'll buy one worth 4000K and keep it for 10 years.or even more,,, hell...that;s just 70 cents a day! factor in electric and popcorn I'm coming in under 1 dollar a day hahahahahahha
I mean if its all about just changing the bulb or the fan, those are simple repairs.
why couldn't you keep it for 20 years? LOL
Old 02-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #146
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Staines-upon-Thames: UK
Send a message via MSN to Blu-Boy in BKK Send a message via Skype™ to Blu-Boy in BKK

My 2D projector is an 8 year old Hitachi. The pictures that produces are some of the best I've ever seen. Oblivion, for example looks simply jaw dropping. It has a beautiful set of optics with fluorite lenses.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #147

Jun 2017
Default Projectors vs TVs

A video projector can give you a true cinema-like experience at home but should you choose one over a big screen TV
Old 09-12-2019, 05:38 AM   #148

Sep 2019

I agree with coffeeman. You have to weigh in not only the pros and cons of buying pj over tv but also your purpose. Are you using it mostly for movie marathon/ sports viewing or gaming? Are you investing in it for the long haul? Or you want to change it after every 5 years? These kinds of question will guide you in your purchase decision.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors