Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
1 day ago
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Shadow in the Cloud (Blu-ray)
$19.50
1 day ago
Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$69.99
9 hrs ago
Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$16.99
19 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 11-02-2020, 01:41 PM   #441
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

It's true that Sony's A9G has moderately better near black detail, slightly better up-conversion of low resolution video, like cable content and a littler smoother motion resolution.

However, we just Beta tested the next CX/GX firmware update and it very nicely improves the near black detail and raised blacks issue.

Also after calibration we can make LG's CX/GX perform as well as Sony's A9G/A8H.

Four distinct advantages of Sony's A9G Master Series OLED TV are:

- Better build quality, all metal

- Better built-in audio system and if you have an external audio system you can use the TV's audio as the center channel speaker.

- For Master Series TVs Sony does a Q/C, and sets the White Point and does a gamma and CMS calibration at the factory. It's not the same as an individual professional calibration.
Thanks given by:
Twm1988 (11-05-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 08:50 PM   #442

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
It's true that Sony's A9G has moderately better near black detail, slightly better up-conversion of low resolution video, like cable content and a littler smoother motion resolution.

However, we just Beta tested the next CX/GX firmware update and it very nicely improves the near black detail and raised blacks issue.

Also after calibration we can make LG's CX/GX perform as well as Sony's A9G/A8H.

Four distinct advantages of Sony's A9G Master Series OLED TV are:

- Better build quality, all metal

- Better built-in audio system and if you have an external audio system you can use the TV's audio as the center channel speaker.

- For Master Series TVs Sony does a Q/C, and sets the White Point and does a gamma and CMS calibration at the factory. It's not the same as an individual professional calibration.
Are there any Panasonic OLED's that you think would compare to the Sony A9G?
Old 11-03-2020, 08:54 PM   #443
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Sweden

Try HZ2000 Twm1988 Lovely set and I would say it's a step higher even.
Thanks given by:
Twm1988 (11-05-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 08:27 PM   #444

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslan View Post
Try HZ2000 Twm1988 Lovely set and I would say it's a step higher even.
Wow, that's a beast!! I will try to view that one too next time I'm out,... haven't seriously looked at any new displays in 10 months or so, most high-end AV shops around here want you to book an appointment and not just wander in anymore with the restrictions and such, so I don't want to waste their time with just being a lookie-loo.

Up until now I haven't seen a display yet that I would trade my VT25 for, but perhaps that SONY or Panasonic will start to convince me
Old 11-10-2020, 10:17 PM   #445
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Dagobah

As much as I used to love my Pioneer Kuro plasma, my LG C965 OLED is worlds better. It's only natural.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:26 AM   #446

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluyoda View Post
As much as I used to love my Pioneer Kuro plasma, my LG C965 OLED is worlds better. It's only natural.
When you replace your old Plasma with a brand new OLED, it's only natural that you'll enjoy the unnatural motion presentation it delivers, lol
Thanks given by:
AmishParadise (01-14-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 05:36 AM   #447
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010

I don't think Plasma TV's are better than 4K OLED's but definitely better than 1080p/4K LCD/LED sets except for QLED. The Kuro Pioneer Plasma's were some of the best along with Panasonic Plasma's. If you can ever get a Kuro cheap and own an LCD or LED TV do it. With OLED/QLED out though Plasma's are not worth dropping more than $500 on anymore.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:28 PM   #448

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny24 View Post
I don't think Plasma TV's are better than 4K OLED's but definitely better than 1080p/4K LCD/LED sets except for QLED. The Kuro Pioneer Plasma's were some of the best along with Panasonic Plasma's. If you can ever get a Kuro cheap and own an LCD or LED TV do it. With OLED/QLED out though Plasma's are not worth dropping more than $500 on anymore.
I recently picked up a 60" VT60, it's genuinely the nicest, most natural looking picture I've ever seen... with a high quality Blu-ray movie, it's more like an open window than a tv screen.

Even a new $5000 OLED with HDR and 4K resolution, it will only be brighter and crisper,... while the plasma still looks more natural and still easily has the better motion presentation. There's a depth to the image that a good plasma produces, that any other display can't seem to match

OLED's are good if you have a super bright room, and you like overly crisp artificial detail, and messed up motion issues.
Thanks given by:
bermuda (02-16-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs