Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Borderlands 3 (PS4)
$44.99

NBA 2K19 (PS4)
$4.99

A Plague Tale: Innocence (PS4)
$29.99

Final Fantasy XV (PS4)
$14.99

Sudden Strike 4: Complete Collection (PS4)
$29.99

Days Gone (PS4)
$29.59
2 hrs ago
Lego The Incredibles (PS4)
$14.87

NASCAR Heat 4 (PS4)
$37.90
8 hrs ago
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden (PS4)
$19.99

Spike Volleyball (PS4)
$19.99

Persona Dancing: Endless Night Collection (PS4)
$54.97

Tales of Vesperia (PS4)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old Yesterday, 01:41 AM   #601
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2013
Sunnydale

I like low roar but they kind of sound like Radiohead on a budget. I think Red Dead 2s world is a lot more engaging and dynamic with its ambient soundtrack and 24 hour day cycles and animals/hunting/clothing/crafting but death stranding definitely has it beat in terms of being a unique oddity.

I played through the re2 claire campaign so many times. I think it topped the original.

Last edited by LegacyCosts; Yesterday at 01:47 AM.
Old Yesterday, 01:44 AM   #602
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetieMan View Post
I'm as big a Resident Evil 2 fan as they come (peep the avatar) but no way in hell is it a better game, or a better experience, than 'Death Stranding.' Through the highs and lows of Kojima's career, at least every game he puts out amounts to a seminal experience. As fun and enjoyable games like 'The Last of Us' and 'Read Dead 2' are, they're not like Death Stranding. Being accessible =/= to being better. Those other titles are great games for what they are, but the visual style and structure, still looks all too similar, and feel all too familiar, to ever feel wholly original. Death Stranding is in that Evangelion/Dune category, of having this masterfully original world building and art direction. Something people will remember for years to come, even if its initial launch in 2019, is what people would call "divisive."

Also, I uploaded a couple more clips, showing off the incredible music of this game. What a wonderful soundtrack choice Low Roar turned out to be.

DEATH STRANDING x LOW ROAR v2 - YouTube

DEATH STRANDING x LOW ROAR v3 - YouTube
We have to agree to disagree then cause I think RE2, RDR 2 & The Last of Us are all better than Death Stranding. The music is great, Iíll give it that much. The problem most have is the gameplay, Kojima probably shouldíve thought the delivery boy thing through a bit more since one of the major complaints I keep hearing is that itís boring. The story is so far interesting but itís getting tougher for me to keep plodding through the other stuff to get more of it.
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM   #603
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010

I just finished the story, 40 hours long

great game imo, has its flaws, but I enjoyed it thoroughly
Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM   #604
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyCosts View Post
Do you sleep or work? Ha my goty would probably be resident evil 2, 2018 was stronger with rockstars masterpiece and god of war
Yes & Yes.

I agree, 2018 was an easier year to pick one.. if only one.

I have the Timefall digital download MP3 code Sony sent me. Itís for the taking.
Please post back here that you have redeemed it. Enjoy!

http://www.myplaydigital.com/RedeemTimefallSoundtrack/
2HE7MMM86X5Y7WP
Old Today, 07:31 AM   #605
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

I finished the story tonight after playing the game for 80-hours.

I just don't have the energy at this very specific moment to write up endless paragraphs for as to why this game is a masterpiece; But it is.

When it comes to titles like 'Death Stranding', whether it's a game, a film, a novel--whatever--its ambition, its scope, its world building, its philosophy, is so unique, so seminal, so signature from the auteur that creates it, that its initial impact can so called 'divide' people, and therefore create what people lazily call a 'divisive' reaction. It's only divisive in 2019, because Western pop-culture has been mass consuming accessible, four-quadrant comic book films, games, and endless remakes and rehashes, that after a while, it sort of becomes decades worth of status quo, and anytime something comes along to shake up the foundation of the medium it's released on, it'll provoke reactions that aren't inclined to unanimously agree.

People will better developed brains than mine, will be debating this game's last several chapters for years on end. The productive debates, though. The type of debates that have stemmed from the conclusion of Evangelion on forums and conventions since 1995. This is probably the title I can most compare 'Death Stranding' to. It's Kojima's Evangelion. It's his magnum opus. Everyone will know him as the guy who made 'Metal Gear', but his biggest fans will definitely consider DS to be the culmination of all the things Kojima has ever wanted to produce into one single title.

Also, the imagery and set pieces of this game... to call them jaw-dropping, still wouldn't do it justice. I used to think Naughty Dog were kings of set pieces with the Uncharted series, but Kojima takes that and snaps it in half with complete ease.

Anyway, if I am motivated enough, I'll write up more tomorrow. But in the mean time, I'm going to post a clip below, of one of the most insane set pieces I've ever seen in a game. However, it is toward the end of the game, so it is spoilerish.

Old Today, 07:55 AM   #606
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2014

Quote:
I finished the story tonight after playing the game for 80-hours.

I just don't have the energy at this very specific moment to write up endless paragraphs for as to why this game is a masterpiece; But it is.

When it comes to titles like 'Death Stranding', whether it's a game, a film, a novel--whatever--its ambition, its scope, its world building, its philosophy, is so unique, so seminal, so signature from the auteur that creates it, that its initial impact can so called 'divide' people, and therefore create what people lazily call a 'divisive' reaction. It's only divisive in 2019, because Western pop-culture has been mass consuming accessible, four-quadrant comic book films, games, and endless remakes and rehashes, that after a while, it sort of becomes decades worth of status quo, and anytime something comes along to shake up the foundation of the medium it's released on, it'll provoke reactions that aren't inclined to unanimously agree.

People will better developed brains than mine, will be debating this game's last several chapters for years on end. The productive debates, though. The type of debates that have stemmed from the conclusion of Evangelion on forums and conventions since 1995. This is probably the title I can most compare 'Death Stranding' to. It's Kojima's Evangelion. It's his magnum opus. Everyone will know him as the guy who made 'Metal Gear', but his biggest fans will definitely consider DS to be the culmination of all the things Kojima has ever wanted to produce into one single title.

Also, the imagery and set pieces of this game... to call them jaw-dropping, still wouldn't do it justice. I used to think Naughty Dog were kings of set pieces with the Uncharted series, but Kojima takes that and snaps it in half with complete ease.

Anyway, if I am motivated enough, I'll write up more tomorrow. But in the mean time, I'm going to post a clip below, of one of the most insane set pieces I've ever seen in a game. However, it is toward the end of the game, so it is spoilerish.

They still are & he really doesn't IMO. Kojima peaked with Metal Gear Solid 3.
Old Today, 08:04 AM   #607
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Guy, you were in chapter 3 and only 17-hours in.

You can miss me with that shit.

You have no idea where this game goes once you get to the Heartman episode.
Old Today, 08:09 AM   #608
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2014

Quote:
Guy, you were in chapter 3 and only 17-hours in.

You can miss me with that shit.

You have no idea where this game goes once you get to the Heartman episode.
Im still in chapter 3 because the chapter doesn't seem to want to end I also dont have to play 60 or more hrs to know my opinion probably isnt going to change. Ill give Kojima credit though, he turned fetch quests into a full game & some people will still bow down to him.
Old Today, 08:27 AM   #609
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2014

Anyway, on a more positive note, I must be in a good server since the road is getting built kind of quickly. I myself try to contribute as many resources as I can carry while passing through to do something else. It makes going back & forth much easier with the bike.
Old Today, 10:50 AM   #610
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010

Episode 3 is the longest I think, they get a lot shorter after that, some are 10-20 minutes long
Old Today, 12:28 PM   #611
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

The game is definitely an endurance test. Overcoming your will to quit isnít easy but it sure pays off. So yeah, finish the story & then judge the game.

If I want a quick game here & there, Iíll just hop onto any multiplayer game & get a quick fix. Usually get bored after a few hours.
Old Today, 01:00 PM   #612
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
The game is definitely an endurance test. Overcoming your will to quit isnít easy but it sure pays off. So yeah, finish the story & then judge the game.

If I want a quick game here & there, Iíll just hop onto any multiplayer game & get a quick fix. Usually get bored after a few hours.
maybe because I stuck with the main mission, but I never got bored or felt like quitting, I was looking forward for my daily session all day
Old Today, 07:28 PM   #613
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Late last night, after 75-hours of gameplay and achieving a 267-Porter grade, I finally made it to the ending of this massively ambitious, singular experience of a game.

I'm not the smartest person in the world, and there will certainly be far more intellectually-inclined people than myself, that will be able to paint broader strokes of the meaning of this game than I ever could. However, as far as the opinion of some simpleton like myself goes, the main thing I took away from this experience, and can articulate to all of you, is that the completion of this story, left a massively profound impact on me as both a piece of art, and as a gaming and cinematic experience. The only feeling I can truly liken this to, is the way I felt back in 2009 after I had completing 'Neon Genesis Evangelion' for the very first time--and then went on to watch 'End of Evangelion', as well as the 'rebuild' films. And, warts and all with the latter, still provides such a uniquely constructed experience, that it feels incredibly ambitious and singular in all of its aspirations.

I'm still trying to piece the story of this magnificent game together, as its scope in storytelling and characterization is as ambitious as its visual and sound design, so the collective pieces of this game are so very much overwhelming and stimulating on all the senses. There's so much to digest with this game, especially visually, that there are more than a handful of shots from this experience that will forever be embedded into my subconscious due in large part because of how unbelievably insane the visuals in this game are. However, I've thankfully been able to find a few really good videos on YouTube that analyze every philosophical aspect of this game, all the way down to its mind-**** of an ending, to help piece all the clues and intricacies together, for a rather straightforward conclusion of this game's insanely awesome ending.

As the weeks go on, I'll be able to discuss the story and its character in full detail, as I don't want to get too spoilerific with everything after only a week of this game's release. But, I will say this:

>I've already touched on how incredible the visual and sound design of this game is, but its soundtrack, both the OST and the music from Low Roar, Silent Poets, and Chvrches, is incredible.

>The set pieces from this game, especially during the last several hours of the game, are the only thing I've seen to rival what Naughty Dog has done throughout their history with the Uncharted series. When Sam has to cross the tar belt, and you're pulled in by the BTs, only to have to cross through all of the floating buildings, violently rocking back and forth as giant, mutated whales thunderously fly and crash all over the slimy, oily terrain, is one of the most insane and intense set pieces I've ever experienced in a game.

>The gameplay certainly ended up being more than just the 'walking simulator' that critics and social media dipshits claimed it would be. I don't see how anyone could consider the mechanics of the gameplay "tedious", when no two deliveries are the same. You have to account for weather, terrain, BTs, Mules, Terrorist camps, etc, etc. Just when you think you can use a bike or a truck to get to a specific destination, the ecology and weather throws a wrench into that. Think you can use the floating carriers at will to make large quantity deliveries? Try using that while traversing the rough terrain to the Weather Stations. The gameplay is smooth, responsive, and has a large variety of tools and resources to plan out each trek you make. What people need to realize is, just because a game is 'different', or more slower paced and structured with patience in mind, it doesn't make something bad or tedious. This is why social media has become the cancer of "hot takes". No one has the patience anymore to see things through. The people that wanted this game to fail, will still rely solely on selective footage they've seen of the gameplay, to keep their same energy of wanting the game to fail, for reasons I don't understand. Not a fan of Kojima? Fine. I'll understand that. Not everything he does is for everyone; But you NEED creators like him not only at a gaming level, but as an all around artist. Otherwise, the world of media and pop-culture will remain saturated with boring, four-quadrant films and games, that don't dare to take chances or be provocative.

Just remember, stuff like 'Blade Runner', 'Night of the Hunter', 'Fight Club', and even the aforementioned 'Evangelion', did not release to immediate critical or commercial success. Things that are different, that shake the foundation of the system and era they're a part of, take time to process and apply an analyzation to. Something like 'Death Stranding', even if not for everyone, is still going to be discussed 5, 10, 15-years from now. IMO, this is Kojima's magnum opus. It's the culmination of everything he's ever wanted to put into a game, and it's told in one long, convoluted, albeit well-structured and characterized narrative. It's probably his most linear storytelling to boot, which makes it all the more ironic, or hilarious, that my ass couldn't decipher it all immediately after concluding the game. Although, despite its more straightforward storytelling approach, there's still a ton of philosophy and world building to chew on. A lot of the terminology, and alternative history, feels akin to something like Frank Herbert's 'Dune'. The world building that Kojima puts on display in this game, feels so much more vast in its scope than the entirety of the Metal Gear series. I'm not sure people will be able to fully appreciate just how expansive this world is.

>Finally, There are some jaw-dropping boss battles and gameplay sequences in this game. The boss battle with the BT that Higgs controls; The massive, flying Leviathan/Whale creature as you try to make your way back east; The mini-boss battles with the incredibly well-designed tentacle-BTs; The floating mutated Jellyfish; The fight with Higgs (love the throwback to MGS4!); And the ridiculously spectacular WWI, WWII, and Vietnam sequences, against Clifff--that while seem like a bit of a palette cleanser, are still so visually arresting and visceral, that it makes for some of the best action gameplay of any game in 2019. And, speaking of Cliff: Kojima saved the best for last. The cutscenes centered around him, Bridget, John, and BB, are probably the emotional highlights of a game that was already littered with emotionally captivating character stories throughout.

At the end of the day, people will continue to call the game 'divisive'. They'll say it's not for everyone. But really, it's not for people that don't want to play a thinking man's game. I know, that sounds pretentious. But sometimes, statements like that are true--and in this case, it couldn't be any truer. To reiterate a point I made earlier, just because something requires patience, or to think outside the box, it doesn't make something bad, boring, tedious, repetitive, etc. This isn't something for people that line up to see 'Avengers' opening night, or play 'Call of Duty' the weekend of its launch. And that's not a knock against fans of those titles, because I enjoy those, too. But it's way of reiterating that 'Death Stranding' is not for a four-quadrant audience. It's for a very specific, precise demographic. One that loves serious, contemplative storytelling and gameplay, that values visual storytelling, with complimentary music to set the tone and atmosphere, of a game that is imbued with densely formulated ideas, philosophies, and wisdom.

This is Game of the Year. It's the Game of the Generation.

10/10
Old Today, 08:49 PM   #614
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2013
Sunnydale

Did you find the sequences where deadman, diehardman and nicolas refn stand in a room with you and do the circular exposition dumps? Did you guys find reedus's relationship with amelie fully fleshed out? Just curious
Old Today, 09:05 PM   #615
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyCosts View Post
Did you find the sequences where deadman, diehardman and nicolas refn stand in a room with you and do the circular exposition dumps? Did you guys find reedus's relationship with amelie fully fleshed out? Just curious
A lot of the story is an exposition dump at the end of the game. In typical Kojima fashion. That is one thing about him, similar to Christopher Nolan's style of storytelling, that is a fair criticism. I don't think it's as much as bad pacing as it is just not consistently finding the right moments to spill this information. In the instance of Death Stranding, I get it, though; There's so many episodic chapters dedicated to individual character backstories, that it's hard to sprinkle so many of these subplots within, without making everything feel too convoluted at once. Plus, the whole plot twist with:
[Show spoiler]Amalie ('Ha') being the EE (Extinction Event), and the 'Ka' being Bridget, and having no relation at all with Sam, after all, was perfectly timed during the last several hours of the game.
Kojima paced the two most important storytelling aspects really well, IMO. It had a nonlinear structure, but once you piece it all together, it's really, really interesting--and worth having multiple discussions about.

As for Sam and Amelie's relationship. Well, it goes back to the spoiler, really.

[Show spoiler]There's nothing there at the end of the day. Sam was ultimately manipulated by Bridget/Amelie, to expedite the Extinction Event, or 6th Death Stranding, because she was sick of waiting on her beach for the event to occur; Hence the creation of the Chrial Network, and manipulating Sam to help assist in the rapid development of destroying the world.

I know I've said it countless times, but I love the fact Kojima went full Evangelion here.

It's weird, while it's such a surreal and dream-like concept, I think the plausibility of extinction events, which happen IRL, told through metaphoric symbolism and creative art direction, is an interesting concept. Doesn't even have to be this game (which is why I think I'm so drawn to Evangelion).

There's something inevitably bleak and nihilistic about it all--and you can't help but feel melancholic after seeping endless hours of emotional investment into characters you care about.

I just really, really like this game. Its themes and its ideas definitely appeal to my sensibilities and interests outside of the gaming and art worlds.
Thanks given by:
LegacyCosts (Today)
Old Today, 09:21 PM   #616
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2013
Sunnydale

Too many risks of spoilers in discussing this game so I posted a bunch of thoughts below.

[Show spoiler]It was an interesting twist with pretty much all of the deliveries you've made throughout the game contributing to the possible destruction of the world. The Mario and princess peach line was funny, I appreciate Kojima always being willing to poke fun at his medium and play around with the usually ignored possibilities. In metal gear the exposition is often charming and interesting full of humor and pop culture references even if clumsy and unabashedly Japanese.

Death stranding's world is more dour and straight faced usually. When you're nearing the end, and the hug on the beach with Amelie for instance felt a bit limp as she'd been pretty absent throughout the game. There is a LOT of telling me and not showing me, I don't get to live with these characters and am expected to feel very emotional. I feel like he took a step back from metal gear 5 as that game wasn't as exposition heavy outside of the cassette tapes.

I think mama and fragile's stories worked the best as you as a player were actively engaged with them and their fates throughout the game. I liked fragile and her character design so much I wish she was the playable choice and reedus someone who helps you along the way and I cared about her when she was exhausted/sick.

Kojima needed a little help with characterization here and restraint, imagine these characters getting the depth of say Arthur/Dutch in red dead 2 or garrus/wrex in mass effect for example. I'm glad I repurchased the game and went through it. I am nearing the end. as you mentioned the boss fights, set pieces, world building, and tech are some of the best you can find in gaming.
Old Today, 10:33 PM   #617
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2013
Sunnydale

It doesn't get any better than Yoji Shinkawa's concept art, I still peek at my art of metal gear books often. The fragile and higgs are especially amazing.

Old Today, 10:47 PM   #618
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Shinkawa's artwork is definitely next level. He's to Hideo what Ralph McQaurrie was to George Lucas. What HR Giger was to ALIEN. What Syd Mead was to Blade Runner. What George Hull was to The Matrix. And what Greg Broadmore was to District 9.

Cliff is my favorite character design from the game. I love his attention to detail to military gear, tech, and hardware.

[Show spoiler]

[Show spoiler]

[Show spoiler]

[Show spoiler]
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4