Best SteelBook Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$43.49

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.16

Star Trek: Picard - Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Lupin III: The First (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Your Name (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Léon: The Professional 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Promare (Blu-ray)
$18.99

The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Akame ga KILL!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.89
4 hrs ago
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

A Quiet Place 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks

Old 10-17-2020, 04:58 PM   #101

Oct 2020
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeDrinker View Post
Although I pre-ordered it, mine didn't ship until today. I imagine I'll get it sometime next week. Looking forward to it! For those of you who got it, how does the Blu-ray transfer look? I haven't found any reviews for the disc at all online, either professional or from users. So I don't know how this compares to the original DVD release.
Mine just shipped too. Was getting worried as they kept pushing the date back.

I imagine it'll look similar to the japanese bluray set, just with worse compression because Funimation gonna Funimation.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:42 PM   #102

Mar 2020

Quote:
Although I pre-ordered it, mine didn't ship until today. I imagine I'll get it sometime next week. Looking forward to it! For those of you who got it, how does the Blu-ray transfer look? I haven't found any reviews for the disc at all online, either professional or from users. So I don't know how this compares to the original DVD release.
I think the PQ is pretty good being pre-HD animation. I am definitely satisfied. Haven't seen the DVDs in years (as all copies at my local library over the years went totally missing) so can't compare.
Thanks given by:
eastx (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 12:47 AM   #103
Special Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
The PQ looks a lot like that of a DVD to me, unlike Juspion, which I thought looked HD at times. I'd love to see some comparisons between the DVD and the Blu-ray. That said, everybody should buy this to support the release of Satoshi Kon-created content on Blu-ray.
Thanks given by:
CoffeeDrinker (10-24-2020), gorobei (10-20-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 01:49 AM   #104

Oct 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
The PQ looks a lot like that of a DVD to me, unlike Juspion, which I thought looked HD at times. I'd love to see some comparisons between the DVD and the Blu-ray. That said, everybody should buy this to support the release of Satoshi Kon-created content on Blu-ray.
For sure, I'm so glad that with Paranoia Agent released, all of Satoshi Kon's major works are in print. Not too long ago, Paprika was the only one available. I have the DVDs, so if anyone's interested, I could post a snapshot comparison with a RIP from the blu-ray when my order arrives.
Thanks given by:
eastx (10-18-2020), gorobei (10-20-2020), joenostalgia23 (10-19-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 03:15 AM   #105

Oct 2020
Canada

Quote:
For sure, I'm so glad that with Paranoia Agent released, all of Satoshi Kon's major works are in print. Not too long ago, Paprika was the only one available. I have the DVDs, so if anyone's interested, I could post a snapshot comparison with a RIP from the blu-ray when my order arrives.
And with Discotek rescuing Memories, we are also finally getting Magnetic Rose on bluray, the short film he did the screenplay for.
Thanks given by:
eastx (10-18-2020), joenostalgia23 (10-19-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #106

Jul 2011

The one that was shipped to me (& quickly returned) and couple others in stores had GLARING dents. I was lucky to find one pristine copy. I hardly have QC issues with Best Buy's steelbooks (even when they're mailed to me via bubble wrapper) so I'm not sure why it took quite an effort to get a copy without problems.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:03 AM   #107

Mar 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
I think maybe the PQ reminded me of the old Tokyo Godfathers Blu-ray (not the recent new one).
Old 10-22-2020, 05:22 PM   #108

Oct 2020
Canada

Just received my copy. Despite being shipped in a box, the steelbook has quite a few small scratches and paint chips, but there was absolutely no damage on the shrink wrap. QC on Funimation's part is a bit poor for their steelbooks like usual

The upscale looks as awful as I expected. VERY soft and sometimes out of focus completely. I don't have access to the Japanese BDs or the Geneon dvds to compare, so no clue if this is a trait of all releases. No doubt in my mind the encode is worse than the JPN BDs tho.

Another oddity that I noticed right away was that somehow the next episode previews actually look way better than the episodes themselves. Absolutely no clue why this would be the case.

I'm glad this series is back in print, I just wish it could have landed on a distributor who cared enough to put in even a little bit of effort into cleaning it up.

Last edited by CuppaKofe; 10-22-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Thanks given by:
CoffeeDrinker (10-24-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 01:30 AM   #109

Oct 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaKofe View Post
Just received my copy. Despite being shipped in a box, the steelbook has quite a few small scratches and paint chips, but there was absolutely no damage on the shrink wrap. QC on Funimation's part is a bit poor for their steelbooks like usual

The upscale looks as awful as I expected. VERY soft and sometimes out of focus completely. I don't have access to the Japanese BDs or the Geneon dvds to compare, so no clue if this is a trait of all releases. No doubt in my mind the encode is worse than the JPN BDs tho.

Another oddity that I noticed right away was that somehow the next episode previews actually look way better than the episodes themselves. Absolutely no clue why this would be the case.

I'm glad this series is back in print, I just wish it could have landed on a distributor who cared enough to put in even a little bit of effort into cleaning it up.
I got my order today, and I second that feeling. If we look at all the other re-releases of Kon's films on blu-ray, (Milennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and Perfect Blue) they're all great restorations.

However, with Paranoia Agent oh boy. This is one of, if not the worst blu-ray releases in my collection. It's DVD quality. The lines might be *slightly* clearer. But the colours also appear to be less saturated than the Geneon DVD. Except in the post-credits sequences, which is quite bizarre.

It has one added bonus feature, a discussion with Satoshi Kon, and the composer Susumu Hirasawa. But are missing a couple of bonus features from the DVD. (a Satoshi Kon interview and a character art gallery)
The storyboard animatic for episode 1 was a feature in the original DVD, but on the Blu-ray, there is no full screen option. You can only see the animatic side by side with the original episode. The DVD offered both options.

I highly recommend this to somebody who doesn't already own the DVDs, because Paranoia Agent is a great psychological thriller, and in my opinion, one of Satoshi Kon's best works. But man, as a blu-ray transfer it's garbage.
Thanks given by:
CuppaKofe (10-23-2020), DarthEd (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 11:14 PM   #110

Oct 2020
Canada

Quote:
I got my order today, and I second that feeling. If we look at all the other re-releases of Kon's films on blu-ray, (Milennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and Perfect Blue) they're all great restorations.

However, with Paranoia Agent oh boy. This is one of, if not the worst blu-ray releases in my collection. It's DVD quality. The lines might be *slightly* clearer. But the colours also appear to be less saturated than the Geneon DVD. Except in the post-credits sequences, which is quite bizarre.

It has one added bonus feature, a discussion with Satoshi Kon, and the composer Susumu Hirasawa. But are missing a couple of bonus features from the DVD. (a Satoshi Kon interview and a character art gallery)
The storyboard animatic for episode 1 was a feature in the original DVD, but on the Blu-ray, there is no full screen option. You can only see the animatic side by side with the original episode. The DVD offered both options.

I highly recommend this to somebody who doesn't already own the DVDs, because Paranoia Agent is a great psychological thriller, and in my opinion, one of Satoshi Kon's best works. But man, as a blu-ray transfer it's garbage.
Yeah, I noticed the better picture quality and colours on the Next Episode previews too. That might be the most puzzling thing about this.

Recently I've watched two upscale releases to compare this to. Gkids' Tokyo Godfathers (not technically an upscale, but I'll still include it), which is already far from perfect, and the Avatar TLA bluray which is a pretty good upscale.

Honestly, watching this after both of those, I'd have to say this is one of the worst upscales I've ever seen.

Last edited by CuppaKofe; 10-23-2020 at 11:54 PM.
Thanks given by:
Old 10-23-2020, 11:28 PM   #111
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaKofe View Post
Honestly, watching this after both of those, I'd have to say this is one of the worst upscales I've ever seen.
It didn't impress me either. It looked like SD, possibly worse than Viz's Bleach Blu-rays starting with Set 8.
Thanks given by:
Old 10-23-2020, 11:36 PM   #112

Aug 2009
Denver, CO

The upscaled masters on this blu-ray are the same ones used on the Japanese edition from 9 years ago (and subsequent worldwide releases). Wish they could've done a 4K restoration.
Thanks given by:
CoffeeDrinker (10-24-2020), CuppaKofe (10-23-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 02:07 AM   #113

Oct 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexroubaix View Post
The upscaled masters on this blu-ray are the same ones used on the Japanese edition from 9 years ago (and subsequent worldwide releases). Wish they could've done a 4K restoration.
So Paranoia Agent never had a proper HD restoration? That's a shame, I didn't realize that the Japanese blu-ray was also low quality.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:51 AM   #114

Jan 2020

Quote:
So Paranoia Agent never had a proper HD restoration? That's a shame, I didn't realize that the Japanese blu-ray was also low quality.
Paranoia Agent was produced in standard definition so only an upscale can be done since it's impossible for the show to get an HD restoration.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks