Best Wii U Game Deals

Best Wii U Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Game Party Champions (Wii U)
$12.00
1 day ago
Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

Just Dance 2016 (Wii U)
$16.56
19 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo

Old 12-27-2019, 06:14 PM   #1501
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
I find Legend of Zelda to be extremely difficult.

The heart life doesnít last very long and itís hard to keep Link moving in the direction you want him to go.

Those sand trap monsters are infuriating.

...I havenít figured out a way to avoid them yet.
It's still the only zelda game I have beaten
Old 12-28-2019, 06:32 AM   #1502
Blu-ray Duke

Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman1980 View Post
It's still the only zelda game I have beaten
How many times did you die and have to start over?
Old 12-28-2019, 06:47 AM   #1503
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
How many times did you die and have to start over?
I've had playthroughs where I died 0 times but it's hard, especially after the first quest
Old 10-16-2020, 08:49 PM   #1504
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2012

Does anyone have one of these that they would be willing to sell me at a reasonable price? I'd like to start my oldest kid out on some of these games now that he's getting to be old enough to show an interest in them.
Thanks given by:
Spooked (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 03:18 AM   #1505
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by noirjunkie View Post
Does anyone have one of these that they would be willing to sell me at a reasonable price? I'd like to start my oldest kid out on some of these games now that he's getting to be old enough to show an interest in them.
Honestly, unless you have strict ethical qualms about emulation*, just research NES emulators and go from there. You can build a dedicated standalone unit, or just patch your pc/laptop over to your tv and play on usb NES controllers.

At this point, I wouldn't pay the $200+ for an OOP mini console that's limited in its library selection to begin with.

* Which you shouldn't. Emulation has preserved and restored the history of gaming. Even Nintendo has consulted with the emulation community to restore/save classic games. If there's no legal copies currently in production, then it's either emulation or secondhand purchases, anyway. I would not trust those third party NES clones.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:45 AM   #1506
Blu-ray Champion

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastCreatureTrapper View Post
Honestly, unless you have strict ethical qualms about emulation*, just research NES emulators and go from there. You can build a dedicated standalone unit, or just patch your pc/laptop over to your tv and play on usb NES controllers.

At this point, I wouldn't pay the $200+ for an OOP mini console that's limited in its library selection to begin with.

* Which you shouldn't. Emulation has preserved and restored the history of gaming. Even Nintendo has consulted with the emulation community to restore/save classic games. If there's no legal copies currently in production, then it's either emulation or secondhand purchases, anyway. I would not trust those third party NES clones.
Those are okay suggestions, but it's very nerdy and techie and doesn't seem very easy. It's not something the average person would do. "Build a dedicated standalone unit". Really??

I'd rather buy an old NES or one of the clones (they work I have one) and you can buy the old games on eBay, resale shops, etc. It's more authentic than bootleg emulators.

I personally purchased the NES, SNES, and PlayStation Classic. I haven't played the PlayStation yet, but the Nintendo classic systems are great.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:12 AM   #1507
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuffTX View Post
Those are okay suggestions, but it's very nerdy and techie and doesn't seem very easy. It's not something the average person would do. "Build a dedicated standalone unit". Really??

I'd rather buy an old NES or one of the clones (they work I have one) and you can buy the old games on eBay, resale shops, etc. It's more authentic than bootleg emulators.

I personally purchased the NES, SNES, and PlayStation Classic. I haven't played the PlayStation yet, but the Nintendo classic systems are great.
That's fine. I mean, using emulation is ultimately as difficult as downloading and installing software, which I'm sure you've done before. I get that, from the outside, it seems too distant and removed from your usual comfort level until you've actually researched it and attempted it. Kinda like anything in life, really.

I mean, yeah, you can buy the actual hardware and games, but at that point and price point, I'm not sure why you're fretting over second market prices for the mini console, cause it is still cheaper paying a couple hundred dollars (some are actually going cheaper on eBay) for the mini NES and bundled games, controllers, and system than the alternative piecing together of the system.

As for what's more authentic, I can assure you that the mini NES classic console inquired about IS an emulator, itself. It's just in a pretty shell, and stamped with Nintendo's seal of approval. In some ways, it could be argued that the emulation of the games on it aren't even as authentic as other emulators, but that's a rabbit hole I'm too tired to go down again.

Those "bootleg" emulators are the same (actually better, in some respects) than the official emulator Nintendo is using. As mentioned earlier, Nintendo and other companies have worked with those "bootleg" emulators to save and preserve their history.

Just throwing options out there. Noirjunkie is a big boy (or girl) and I know they'll figure it out.

Last edited by BeastCreatureTrapper; 10-17-2020 at 04:27 AM.
Thanks given by:
filmbuffTX (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 04:19 AM   #1508
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2006
Let Me In!

I still haven't opened up mine.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #1509
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2012

A fellow forum member is selling me his at a very reasonable price, so I now have another question. Which wireless controllers work best? I know the wired controllers are much too short, so I'd like to get two wireless controllers, but there's an entire cottage industry of knock-offs. Does anyone have a particular brand they recommend?
Old 10-17-2020, 09:13 PM   #1510

Mar 2016

You could also buy an extension cable if you wanted. A two pack cost about $10 on amazon.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:17 PM   #1511
Blu-ray Champion

May 2015

Yeah, I went the extension cable route because I wanted to use the authentic controllers and I didn't know how stable the wireless ones would be.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:30 PM   #1512
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuffTX View Post
Yeah, I went the extension cable route because I wanted to use the authentic controllers and I didn't know how stable the wireless ones would be.
The authentic wireless controllers from Nintendo are fantastic. I bought two of the SNES controllers. They feel exactly as you’d expect and the Bluetooth works perfectly every time. I’m extremely happy with them. I use them with the Nintendo Classic and with OpenEmu on my Mac.
Thanks given by:
filmbuffTX (10-17-2020), noirjunkie (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 09:35 PM   #1513
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012
Elmhurst, NY

Quote:
I bought a modded one of these a couple of years ago off of eBay and it is great. I also got a SNES as well as a mini genesis. I like them all.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:46 PM   #1514
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtu128 View Post
The authentic wireless controllers from Nintendo are fantastic. I bought two of the SNES controllers. They feel exactly as you’d expect and the Bluetooth works perfectly every time. I’m extremely happy with them. I use them with the Nintendo Classic and with OpenEmu on my Mac.
I might just go the extension cable route, but finding an OEM extra controller is proving to be costly. They look like they're going for $30-40 on Ebay.

Last edited by noirjunkie; 10-17-2020 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:46 AM   #1515
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

Quote:
I might just go the extension cable route, but finding an OEM extra controller is proving to be costly. They look like they're going for $30-40 on Ebay.
They are $30 from Nintendo... I don’t feel that’s costly? A new Playstation or Xbox controller goes for $60.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:23 AM   #1516
Blu-ray Baron

May 2011
Parts Unknown - because I blabbed about Mars!
-
-

Quote:
A fellow forum member is selling me his at a very reasonable price, so I now have another question. Which wireless controllers work best? I know the wired controllers are much too short, so I'd like to get two wireless controllers, but there's an entire cottage industry of knock-offs. Does anyone have a particular brand they recommend?
I have the MyArcade wireless controller. I like it.

https://www.amazon.com/My-Arcade-Gam...dp/B01MPZ8QL4/

Edit: Under $7 now, but only from third-party sellers. Up to you if you trust that. I'm pretty sure mine was from Amazon directly at the time.

From old posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBargainHunta View Post
This wireless controller keeps going down in price. Currently $10.86. (It's normally $20.)

[Show spoiler]

https://www.amazon.com/My-Arcade-Gam...dp/B01M34DLXD/

I bought this model with less buttons for $15 last month. It's still that price. It's pretty good, from the limited amount of time I've had to test it.

[Show spoiler]

https://www.amazon.com/My-Arcade-Gam...dp/B01MPZ8QL4/

I'm really tempted to "double dip" and get the less expensive controller with more buttons, even though I have no reason to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sozo View Post
I personally really disliked the MyArcade posted that's like $10. Constantly disconnected, felt very, very cheap, and was uncomfortable. I returned it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBargainHunta View Post
I wonder if there's a difference between the two MyArcades? The $15 one I have (the one with only two buttons) feels fairly comfortable and I haven't noticed any disconnects - though I haven't had any marathon gaming sessions either.
Apparently, there are two versions of it. The one with two buttons (the one I have) is better than the four button, at least according to anecdotal evidence here.

I never did "double dip" and get the four button.

Last edited by DaBargainHunta; 10-18-2020 at 03:33 AM.
Thanks given by:
noirjunkie (10-25-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo