Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Akira 4K (Blu-ray)
£44.99
7 hrs ago
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
£39.99

Clint Eastwood: The Signature Film Collection (Blu-ray)
£199.99

Flash Gordon (Blu-ray)
£11.99
7 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£89.99

Paddington 2 4K (Blu-ray)
£7.99
19 min ago
The Fog (Blu-ray)
£7.99
1 day ago
Vikings: Season Five, Volumes 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
£19.99
1 day ago
Inner Sanctum Mysteries: The Complete Film Series (Blu-ray)
£27.99

Watchmen (Blu-ray)
£15.99
23 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
£19.99

Frozen: 2-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
£12.00
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 10-17-2020, 12:22 PM   #37161

May 2013
Oahu, Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladriusse View Post
Just out of interest has anyone got any lists of Eureka's 'Masters of Cinema' range based on directors?

Has any director seen all of his films released in the range?
his or her (shout-out to Elaine May and here's hoping more female directors are represented in the MoC range soon)
Thanks given by:
Nedoflanders (10-18-2020), TheHistorian (10-17-2020), whatmusictheymake (10-18-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 12:35 PM   #37162
Power Member

Apr 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr727 View Post
his or her (shout-out to Elaine May and here's hoping more female directors are represented in the MoC range soon)
Naomi Kawase is another.
Thanks given by:
dr727 (10-17-2020), whatmusictheymake (10-18-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 06:28 PM   #37163

Mar 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Darren View Post
hmm now that i have opened it (the one without the sticker and the cheaper shrinkwrap) it is a cracked case near the spine... i assume a damaged return repackaged and sold as new...
in my experience the shrinkrwap is indicative of a re-wrap, it seems especially rampant with american criterions @ amazon and B&N.

brand new releases should have the cellophane (i think)
Thanks given by:
#Darren (10-18-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #37164
Special Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetiques View Post
in my experience the shrinkrwap is indicative of a re-wrap, it seems especially rampant with american criterions @ amazon and B&N.

brand new releases should have the cellophane (i think)
Many posters have advised it is not a re-wrap, but as long as there is no sticker I refuse to believe it.
In my big haul from the last sale too many were like that, and the paper insert was also shoddily slipped in, and my ass tells me it was a re-wrap.
Thanks given by:
#Darren (10-18-2020), magnetiques (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 07:41 PM   #37165

Mar 2017

i'm of the same opinion, sticker means untouched for sure.

otherwise if it isn't a battered booklet, it's micro scratches on or cracks in the scanavo case etc
Old 10-17-2020, 07:45 PM   #37166
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJackMix View Post
Many posters have advised it is not a re-wrap, but as long as there is no sticker I refuse to believe it.
In my big haul from the last sale too many were like that, and the paper insert was also shoddily slipped in, and my ass tells me it was a re-wrap.
Nope, paper inserts shoddily slipped in are all too common with Criterions these days... difficult sometimes to find ones that are not, store-bought or online.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #37167
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetiques View Post
i'm of the same opinion, sticker means untouched for sure.

otherwise if it isn't a battered booklet, it's micro scratches on or cracks in the scanavo case etc
Micro scratches too are common on brand new unopened Criterion cases, booklets can be pretty iffy sometimes. I've even picked up a cracked case or two for brand new releases, not noticing it until I got home (which is when I tend to notice all the other things I get worked up about too). Missing stickers haven't been too frequent for me. And I mostly keep mine wrapped until I watch them, unless I'm taking a closer look for damages that might require a return/swap -- although I read that scratched discs have become a thing too, even with brand new copies, so I may have to rethink this approach one of these days. Wrapping type (cellophane or shrinkwrap) is random, shrinkwrap is more common than it used to be though. I usually buy pretty soon after release.

Eurekas, I've been pretty lucky, but I do get both kinds of shrinkwrap, mostly the pretty cellophane with the non-melted cases, but not all the time. (All are imported to me here in the states, so I get what I was sent and usually that's that.) I probably should open up the shrinkwrapped ones just in case they're returns, but all the ones I have opened seemed fine.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:34 PM   #37168
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015

Eureka could do a better job with women (although Criterion is trying to be corrective with the canon), however so could Arrow and other labels and really it's an industry wide problem. Just as with directors of colour, female directors aren't offered the same opportunities as (cis) white male directors

However the same can be said for essayist and critics and documentaries, there's some women that are often used e.g. Kat Ellinger, Violet Lucca, Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, Naomi Holwill, and others too, but it's a smaller number compared to men.

Last edited by CelestialAgent; 10-17-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Thanks given by:
dr727 (10-17-2020), Gunsnroses092789 (10-17-2020), magnetiques (10-18-2020), nitin (10-18-2020), whatmusictheymake (10-18-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 09:50 PM   #37169

May 2013
Oahu, Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialAgent View Post
Eureka could do a better job with women (although Criterion is trying to be corrective with the canon), however so could Arrow and other labels and really it's an industry wide problem. Just as with directors of colour, female directors aren't offered the same opportunities as (cis) white male directors

However the same can be said for essayist and critics and documentaries, there's some women that are often used e.g. Kat Ellinger, Violet Lucca, Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, Naomi Holwill, and others too, but it's a smaller number compared to men.
Very well said. Thank you.

a (younger) female film academic and director
Thanks given by:
CelestialAgent (10-17-2020), nitin (10-18-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 09:55 PM   #37170

Aug 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdm View Post
Nope, paper inserts shoddily slipped in are all too common with Criterions these days... difficult sometimes to find ones that are not, store-bought or online.
Youre not kidding. And those cases tear up artwork that isnt properly aligned.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:38 PM   #37171

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjg View Post
You’re not kidding. And those cases tear up artwork that isn’t properly aligned.
I like how the Eureka cases have the plastic piece at the bottom that keeps the booklet in place. I wish the Criterion single disc blu-ray cases have something like that.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:04 AM   #37172
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008

Quote:
I probably should open up the shrinkwrapped ones just in case they're returns, but all the ones I have opened seemed fine.
Be careful there. I had a shrinkwrapped Warner Archive film on the shelf for over two years. When I decided to watch it (and unwrap it) there was no disk inside. And of course too late for a return/refund.
Thanks given by:
UnionJackMix (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 07:49 AM   #37173

Aug 2019
Zagreb, Croatia

One of the video games I purchased had a strange manufacturing error on the reflective side, it looked like someone melted parts of it with a lighter. So ever since I open and check my discs as soon as I receive them.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:03 AM   #37174
Special Member

Jan 2014

While I understand that some people complain about less physical releases by female directors, I also know that there are/were (were as in, if we are looking to classic movies or older movies) less female directors so, technically, percentage-wise there would also be less representation on Blu. No?
Old 10-18-2020, 09:35 AM   #37175
Special Member

May 2018
Norwich, UK

It's true that labels could do better with contemporary women filmmakers but if we're talking classic Hollywood there was Dorothy Arzner (Criterion just released Dance, Girl, Dance to give them credit), Ida Lupino and that's pretty much it, it was a male dominated industry unfortunately. Quite a few women made silent films prior to that, I don't know how much of their work survives, but Flicker Alley/BFI's Early Women Filmmakers Collection did something to address that.

Last edited by justwannaboogie; 10-18-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Thanks given by:
dr727 (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #37176
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015

Quote:
While I understand that some people complain about less physical releases by female directors, I also know that there are/were (were as in, if we are looking to classic movies or older movies) less female directors so, technically, percentage-wise there would also be less representation on Blu. No?
This is absolutely true, but there were more than just a couple. It’s underrepresentation of underrepresentation.

The BFI were mentioned above and they’ve done a pretty good job e.g. Jane Arden, Laura Mulvey, Molly Dineeen, Margaret Tait, Daughters of the Dust, Germany Pale Mother, Will it Snow for Christmas?, Women Make Film.

Last edited by CelestialAgent; 10-18-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Thanks given by:
dr727 (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 10:14 AM   #37177

Nov 2007

976 Evil just dropped the letterbox, very cool artwork on the slip cover. Limited to 2000 unless that's changed.
Thanks given by:
whatmusictheymake (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 10:25 AM   #37178
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Quote:
Naturally, but you only have to look at the films featured in Mark Cousins' Women Make Film to get a sense of how many have been overlooked by boutique labels. I've been lobbying labels to release Kira Muratova's films for years.
Thanks given by:
dr727 (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 10:32 AM   #37179
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Darren View Post
Be careful there. I had a shrinkwrapped Warner Archive film on the shelf for over two years. When I decided to watch it (and unwrap it) there was no disk inside. And of course too late for a return/refund.
Those I do open when I get them. Haven't had any missing discs, but their burned dvds ran the gamut from way scratched up to just smudged up (or fine), and sometimes their blu-rays are scratched up or smudged up too.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:36 PM   #37180

Mar 2017

Quote:
Micro scratches too are common on brand new unopened Criterion cases, booklets can be pretty iffy sometimes.
not trying to be argumentative (and this convo probably ran its course), but i've never seen that in fresh copies with the cellophane and the 'blu-ray' pull-strip thingy, if it's there--be it scanavo or amaray.

the micro scratches on the case are usually caused by shelf use, how would they get that with a covering? anyway, might be me being lucky, but i really don't see how that kind of wear would be possible from brand new.

meanwhile, i've had totally busted cases clearly re-wrapped, where even just glancing at it, the shiny plastic over the cover has gone dull etc. quite disappointing when you're paying for something new, luckily it doesn't seem to happen much in the uk *that i've seen*
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland