Best PS5 Games Deals

Best PS5 Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Assassin's Creed Valhalla (PS5)
$59.96

Watch Dogs: Legion (PS5)
$59.96

NBA 2K21 (PS5)
$69.99

Far Cry 6 (PS5)
$59.99

Far Cry 6 (PS5)
$109.96

Assassin's Creed Valhalla (PS5)
$109.99

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (PS5)
$69.99

Watch Dogs: Legion (PS5)
$109.96

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (PS5)
$59.99

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (PS5)
$69.99

Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PS5)
$59.99

Marvel's Spider-Man (PS5)
$69.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

Old 10-09-2020, 08:02 AM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Default Based on Hardware/features alone, which next gen system do you prefer?

Let's say games and services don't count, no 'investment' in the ecosystem, etc..

which system do you like more?

for me:
Controller: ps5 easily
Expandable Storage: Xbox (although very expensive)
Console design: I like both, leaning xbox now but it's a toss up
UI features: Xbox (games switching, backward compatibility improvement out of the box)
Old 10-09-2020, 08:08 AM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Controller - Sony (Would need to try it out before final call.)
Storage - Sony (Third Party Nvme so I’m not be gated to proprietary)
Console Design - Xbox (More Practical)
UI/Features - Sony (After seeing the UI, it’s a nice upgrade & visually impressive)

Last edited by Derb; 10-18-2020 at 12:06 AM.
Thanks given by:
Talal86 (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 09:35 AM   #3
Power Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talal86 View Post
Controller: ps5 easily
UI features: Xbox (games switching, backward compatibility improvement out of the box)
You're really jumping the gun on this thread. You haven't held either controller and Sony hasn't shown off their UI features yet.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

I wouldn't say it's fair to judge without having the ability to test both but i'm drawn to symmetrical controllers, i prefer the PS5 design visually but storage Sony wins in long term imo. UI is complete unknown from Sony side.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:05 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011

It's annoying that I prefer the look of the Microsoft console and I prefer that it has Dolby Vision but it's clear that sony is going to get the better games.
Thanks given by:
Talal86 (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

^ Iím completely on the same boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
You're really jumping the gun on this thread. You haven't held either controller and Sony hasn't shown off their UI features yet.
Sure, but Itís just a discussion on what we know so far, things and our opinions can change

about the controller, basically if youíve tried the X1 controller youíve tried the SXí. and Iím not a fan, so unless the dual sense is very cheaply made, itís safe to say Iíll prefer it

as for the UI features, I hope Iím proven wrong, but what Iíve learned from the ps5 reveals so far, that whenever Sony are silent about something, expect the worst/minimum
Old 10-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

System Design/Engineering - PS5: I really love the aesthetic of the PS5 and the potential for customization. I love it's "curves" and futuristic design compared to the boring black, monolithic design of the XSX. There's absolutely no customization potential whatsoever in that XSX design at all. Not to mention more forward-thinking features like WiFi 6 and USB-Type C ports.

Controller - PS5: Clearly, way more thought and effort was put into the Dualsense controller to bring it into the next generation with things like the built in mic, motion controls, haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, rechargeable battery built in (with longer life this time) and who knows what else with the new "create" button that we have yet to see. MS basically slapped a share button on the X1 controller and called it a day.

Expandable Storage: - PS5: I much prefer Sony's expandable storage solution over MS' proprietary solution. The availability of competing brands will drive down costs in the long run for PS5 owners looking to expand. And while I give kudos to MS for making theirs a much simpler process, it's not THAT difficult on PS5 to add an SSD.

System UI: - N/A: Considering that we haven't even seen the PS5 UI yet, I can't really say on this one. However given the fact that I already prefer the PS4 UI over the X1 UI, and we know the XSX UI is basically the same as the X1, Sony would have to drop the ball pretty hard for me to pick anything but PS5 in this regard.

Features: - Xbox: Clearly Xbox is the winner here with their more ubiquitous approach to backwards compatibility, their implementation of Game Pass, their Smart Delivery messaging to consumers regarding cross-gen games, etc. This is the one area where there is a glaring deficiency in the PlayStation platform.

Last edited by Steelmaker; 10-09-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Thanks given by:
Talal86 (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

System Design/Engineering: Broken into 2 categories

System Design - Series X design I think is much more simplistic, its almost as if MS wanted you to be able to upgrade some of the core components. It is a very simple design with airflow being pulled from under the system and through to keep it cool. My only gripe with the it the stand not being able to be removed when laying down, it should have been a removable stand which sat an inch or 2 off the ground for better airflow.

Engineering - PS5 hands down is the better engineered system. From the liquid metal cooling which wont break down like standard thermal will to the internal expanded storage to USB C and WIFI 6, also lets not forget to mention the giant ass heatsink which appears to be 3/4 of the console lol.

Controller -I like the feel of the MS controller its always felt more comfortable to me. But the features on the PS5 controller the adaptive feedback, mic, speaker etc. on the PS5 are much better.

Expandable Storage -By far PS5 wins this battle. The fact that MS is keeping everything proprietary rather then allowing internal nvme storage for expansion is mind boggling. I dont have to worry about losing my custom storage device its internal and I have a small child who loves to play with things. He could easily take the storage out of the SeriesX and boom a 200 dollar device gone.

UI - Who knows Sony has yet to show the UI which I always felt was weak on PS4

Features - See Steelmakers comment I fully agree with him here

Launch Lineup - PS5 hands down has the better launch lineup and is clearly the system to get.

One thing everyone needs to understand is technically all of us already have a Xbox Series X, I can go out and buy a Xbox Elite controller connect it to my PC and play any Xbox game from the get go at 4K resolution. All I really would need to do is buy the Live pass and I'm set. But That's MS marketing strategy right now to expand their base. MS could care less if you buy the console they want you to sub to the live pass that is where they intend to generate their revenue stream.
Thanks given by:
Talal86 (10-09-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 05:42 PM   #9
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Controller: the last two generations (PS3/4) I have been with Sony. every time I pick up my xbox controller it just feels odd now. Based on that I would have to say PS5

Console:
--- functionality: clearly PS4. I like the super fast SSD, I like that the reviews talk about how cool it runs, I like that the white panels are removable and there is the vacuum holes... I like that it has two USB in the front (adn one of them is a c). I like that it has wi-fi 6, I like the liquid cooling.
--- looks: I like the S the best (simple flat rectangular box) but the PS5 is far ahead in the the looks department compared to the X that looks like a space heater (and from the reviews can act like one too )

Expandable Storage: Sony is a clear winner I like the way that you can add internally an SSD that is not proprietary, and can be any size. Instead of plugging in something proprietary that is hanging out the back.

UI: the PS5 has not been shown, I have not paid attention so the X might have been shown but I have not seen it. So nothing to say on that

Last edited by Anthony P; 10-10-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Thanks given by:
Talal86 (10-11-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 12:21 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2015

I guess Series X is better but intertia and trophies I'll play mostly the PS5. But getting both.
Thanks given by:
Talal86 (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 12:29 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2017
Gotham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
Controller: the last two generations (PS3/4) I have been with Sony. every time I pick up my xbox controller it just feels odd now. Based on that I would have to say PS5

Console:
--- functionality: clearly PS4. I like the super fast SSD, I like that the reviews talk about how cool it runs, I like that the white panels are removable and there is the vacuum holes... I like that it has two USB in the front (adn one of them is a c). I like that it has wi-fi 6, I like the liquid cooling.
--- looks: I like the S the best (simple flat rectangular box) but the PS5 is far ahead in the the looks department compared to the X that looks like a space heater (and from the reviews can act like one too )

Expandable Storage: Sony is a clear winner I like the way that you can add internally an SSD that is not proprietary, and can be any size. Instead of plugging in something proprietary that is hanging out the back.

UI: the PS5 has not been shown, I have not paid attention so the X might have been shown but I have not seen it. So nothing to say on that
Yeah but you have to Unsnap the cover off the console to add the SSD. Meaning it can break and there will be no way to replace the cover. Atleast Microsoft makes it easy.

Last edited by Batman90; 10-18-2020 at 04:15 AM.
Thanks given by:
dtyndall (Today), Talal86 (10-16-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 06:24 PM   #12
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman90 View Post
Yeah but you have to On snap the cover off the console to add the SSD. Meaning it can break and there will be no way to replace the cover. Atleast Microsoft makes it easy.

1) let me get this straight you would rather have a 200$ SSD with your games on brake instead of one of the tabs that holds the cover in place?

2) don't know about you but we are a relatively clean household, when I open it up to vacuum the inside I will just add the SSD, so in the end there is no additional risk of the cover braking. On the other hand we vacuum and dust every week and there is the possibility of the console moving every time it is touched or something falling on it every time I make changes to the equipment rack. So the chances that something sticking out the back like sore thumb brakes is a reality.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:06 PM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post

1) let me get this straight you would rather have a 200$ SSD with your games on brake instead of one of the tabs that holds the cover in place?

2) don't know about you but we are a relatively clean household, when I open it up to vacuum the inside I will just add the SSD, so in the end there is no additional risk of the cover braking. On the other hand we vacuum and dust every week and there is the possibility of the console moving every time it is touched or something falling on it every time I make changes to the equipment rack. So the chances that something sticking out the back like sore thumb brakes is a reality.
While I would say it's your own fault if you break the cover, not quite sure the reaction was quite necessary. Technically Microsoft does make it easier to expand the memory of the system, whether it's expensive or not (it is).

Also not quite sure what you mean by "with your games on brake".
Old 10-17-2020, 10:15 PM   #14
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
While I would say it's your own fault if you break the cover, not quite sure the reaction was quite necessary. Technically Microsoft does make it easier to expand the memory of the system, whether it's expensive or not (it is).

He meant that you'd rather the 1TB storage Break than a clamshell clip because one is presumably more cheap to replace and potentially still clips in than the failure of a storage device with games stored on it you would have to reinstall and download etc.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:17 PM   #15
Power Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
Here's a clearer way of saying the same thing: You would rather break a $200 SSD (with your games on it) instead of one of the tabs that holds the cover in place?

Anthony's point is that it's much easier to accidentally break an SSD that's sticking out of the system than one that's housed inside. Breaking the cover shouldn't be a major concern because it will probably be cheap to replace (unlike the SSD).

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 10-17-2020 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:35 PM   #16
Expert Member

Jan 2012

I want to get the PS5 sole-y for PSVR and UHD movie playback, none of the games interest me, even less now after I had a stroke recently that wiped out use of my right hand. The PSVR I want for watching 3D Blu-ray. I'm hoping with enough effort I'll recover enough use of my right hand to play games again but I stll want the console for the movies. I'm waiting for a PSVR2 announcement though.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:50 PM   #17
Power Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
It's annoying that I prefer the look of the Microsoft console and I prefer that it has Dolby Vision but it's clear that sony is going to get the better games.
This for me. Sonyís first party games have made up a huge portion of my favorite games the last couple of generations.

But hardware and services wise I prefer Xbox. I like their controller best (though Iím fine with Sonyís), tend to like their UIs more (though PS5ís, love Gamepass as a one-and-done gamer who rarely replays things, and itís a smidge more powerful in terms TFLOPs next gen.

Iíll likely just end up with both eventually, but PS5 firstborn sure unless itís I possibe to find for ages. I just played Xbox games and Gamepass on PC this generation, but to plan on upgrading it with what it would cost me for a CPU and GPU versus a Series X (especially if I wait for a bundle, sale or price drop).

I also havenít liked many PC exclusives, hate keyboard and mouse controls, and get annoyed with the few extra steps it takes to get a PC game running on my tv versus the consoles so I really didnít end up using the PC as much as I expected when I bought it back in 2016.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:07 AM   #18
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Updated my post.

UI/Features - Sony (After seeing the UI, itís a nice upgrade & visually impressive)
Old 10-18-2020, 01:05 AM   #19
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

I like the PS5 better because it'll play all of my PS4 games and enhance them in a number of ways including super fast loading. If I only had an XB One library of games, then I'd like the XBSX better.

But if either console couldn't play games, then I'd go with the one that could play the best blu rays and UHD discs.

Console design? The PS5 is a heck of a lot more creative than a box.

Storage? PS5's storage is weak at 825 GB or less. But if they can compress games better than the PS4 did, that'll help. Like double the compression since PS5's SSD Solid State Drive internally can process that data super fast.

D00mM4r1n3, sorry to hear what happened there. That stinks. Glad that you're a blu ray 3D fan as I am too. I have the PSVR and watch blu ray 3D movies on there now and then (mostly on my 3DTV), and the PSVR is another reason I'd go with the PS5 over XBSX.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:05 AM   #20
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
He meant that you'd rather the 1TB storage Break than a clamshell clip because one is presumably more cheap to replace and potentially still clips in than the failure of a storage device with games stored on it you would have to reinstall and download etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
Here's a clearer way of saying the same thing: You would rather break a $200 SSD (with your games on it) instead of one of the tabs that holds the cover in place?

Anthony's point is that it's much easier to accidentally break an SSD that's sticking out of the system than one that's housed inside. Breaking the cover shouldn't be a major concern because it will probably be cheap to replace (unlike the SSD).
It's amazing how the spelling of one word makes things a lot clearer, or it's just my brain not working.

I don't see why one would break the extra SSD sticking out of the back of the Series X unless you're being careless since it's not like one should be constantly moving their system beyond to clean it.

Obviously changing or adding a hard drive to the PS5 is harder than the PS3 or PS4 (and obviously the Series X). It is what it is, and obviously not a deal breaker since I'll probably just rely on external SSDs rather than bothering with switching out/adding hard drives this gen since I already have them.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5