Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.96
16 hrs ago
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$59.96

Now You See Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
19 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Justice League 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 09-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #441

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
If all 24p content was shown sped up 4% throughout your life - apart from that one fleeting time of seeing it in the cinema, natch - then how would you know there's anything wrong with it? Reminds me of when I got the R1 Star Wars trilogy DVDs in early from Canada and I took them into work to show people and better yet to play them (I worked in electrical retail), a colleague commented on how it sounded like it was playing in slow motion.

On the flipside it's amazing to me how many people actually like seeing 24p in 60Hz with 3:2 pulldown, while the added judder drives me crazy. Why? Because NA-based peeps have similarly grown up with those 12 extra fields of video ingrained into their minds thanks to NTSC broadcasts.

Human perception, it's a funny old game.
3:2 pulldown drives me mad these days. I was in a restaurant the other day, and Back to the Future was playing on one of the TVs via cable. Couldn't believe how terrible it looked, with its awful compression and 3:2 pulldown.
"Qualifiers: I live by them, most of the time." - reanimator
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #442
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colson View Post
3:2 pulldown drives me mad these days. I was in a restaurant the other day, and Back to the Future was playing on one of the TVs via cable. Couldn't believe how terrible it looked, with its awful compression and 3:2 pulldown.
Cable looks atrocious now-a-days, way worse than streaming. I remember watching the X-Files revival on Fox and being absolutely astonished at how bad it looked. Then the blu-ray came out and it was a revelation.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #443

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangeli View Post
Six months from the end of October is sometime in 2019, which is now when this is supposed to be releasing around the rest of the world.

This appears to be the same situation as The Fifth Element and Leon: The Professional; they released at the same time and TFE was worldwide but LTP was a six month timed exclusive to BestBuy and wasn't released anywhere else around the world until that exclusivity ended.

In this situation it appears Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is the worldwide release and Panic Room will most likely be a BestBuy exclusive for the usual six months.
Please be true, please be true, please be true
Old 09-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #444
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Cable looks atrocious now-a-days, way worse than streaming. I remember watching the X-Files revival on Fox and being absolutely astonished at how bad it looked. Then the blu-ray came out and it was a revelation.
Probably depends on the provider.
Mine looks decent.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #445
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Probably depends on the provider.
Mine looks decent.
No it doesn't. I am watching the OTA signal. It's not re-compressed and it looks awful. The fact that cable is still using MPEG-2 is absolutely ridiculous.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #446
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013
TN

It is, it isn't, it is... somebody wake me up when there's an actual, confirmed, for real this time pre-order link.
-------------------------------------------------
UPGRADE: best movie of 2018
Thanks given by:
zw94 (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #447
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMLVC View Post
No it doesn't. I am watching the OTA signal. It's not re-compressed and it looks awful. The fact that cable is still using MPEG-2 is absolutely ridiculous.
It's the ATSC standard, so they can't change it.
And as I said, my feed is very good for the most part.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:42 PM   #448
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
It's the ATSC standard, so they can't change it.
And as I said, my feed is very good for the most part.
I don't know what to tell you. I live in NYC. It's soft, smeary crap. I guess when you're used to watching streaming and discs, cable just looks awful.

And, according to wiki, 264 is a part of the standard:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_standards
Old 09-18-2018, 05:58 PM   #449
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008

Quote:
....That said I watch DVD more than most people here probably, because of Star Trek, so I'm more used to it.
I watch quite a bit of the DVD myself. Some movies and tv shows just aren't being released in any other format other than DVD. And never will. Plus I have a friend who absolutely hates Blu-rays for some reason. Despite the fact that they have an HD television (not a very good one mind you) and an Xbox One. They insist on DVD. It's really mind-boggling.

Quote:
I watched Stakeout on DVD a few weeks ago and was surprised how quickly I forgot it was a DVD. So many movies like that aren't remastered for BD anyway, so on a player that upscales well the difference isn't as large as you'd think.

I was subjected to watching G.I. Jane and Tombstone on DVD the other day and it was awful. I wanted to pluck my eyes out, clean them with bleach, and then shove them up my arse. G.I. Jane had the worst aspect ratio I had ever seen. I had to use all directional zoom just to tolerate watching the movie. My friend thought the movie looked so lifelike, as though you were actually there. Bless their heart. They don't really know any better. Tombstone was worse though. The movie actually looked like an episode of Gunsmoke being watched on a CRT television. The colors in the sky during sunset and such were so overdone in that old school Hollywood style that it drew me out of the picture. So did Val Kilmer. The picture made him look like Casper's father. Put a white sheet over him and I wouldn't have known the difference. The sad part about all of this is that this was the first time I had ever seen Tombstone. Sadly, I'll never watch that dreck again. There may have been a really good movie in there somewhere, but I couldn't see it.
"What a waste of thumbs that are imposable
To make machines that are disposable
And sell them to seagulls flying in circles
Around one big right wing"
Old 09-18-2018, 07:33 PM   #450

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighthefutureofhd View Post
Plus I have a friend who absolutely hates Blu-rays for some reason. Despite the fact that they have an HD television (not a very good one mind you) and an Xbox One. They insist on DVD.
"Qualifiers: I live by them, most of the time." - reanimator
Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (09-18-2018), Blu MacReady (09-19-2018), Brett_S (09-21-2018), fighthefutureofhd (09-18-2018), GasmaskAvenger (09-22-2018), Geoff D (09-19-2018), gkolb (09-21-2018), gregmtl92 (09-20-2018), Heapashifter (09-19-2018), IndyMLVC (09-18-2018), J-Mart (09-19-2018), lemonski (09-19-2018), Sabre95 (09-19-2018), smax-3 (09-19-2018), TheSweetieMan (09-18-2018), Tru-way (09-18-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #451
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighthefutureofhd View Post
I was subjected to watching G.I. Jane and Tombstone on DVD the other day and it was awful. I wanted to pluck my eyes out, clean them with bleach, and then shove them up my arse. G.I. Jane had the worst aspect ratio I had ever seen. I had to use all directional zoom just to tolerate watching the movie. My friend thought the movie looked so lifelike, as though you were actually there. Bless their heart. They don't really know any better. Tombstone was worse though. The movie actually looked like an episode of Gunsmoke being watched on a CRT television. The colors in the sky during sunset and such were so overdone in that old school Hollywood style that it drew me out of the picture. So did Val Kilmer. The picture made him look like Casper's father. Put a white sheet over him and I wouldn't have known the difference. The sad part about all of this is that this was the first time I had ever seen Tombstone. Sadly, I'll never watch that dreck again. There may have been a really good movie in there somewhere, but I couldn't see it.
I mean I'm not saying DVDs look great, just that I still find most of them watchable. Even BDs look pretty rough to me now if I directly compare them to a UHD, but if you just watch a BD normally then you adapt and forget and it's not an issue. Same with DVD for me, after 5-10 minutes I was just watching Stakeout and it was fine.

It does depend on the DVD though I'm sure. I watched True Lies on DVD like a year or so ago and it looked atrocious.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:56 AM   #452
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

The R1 of True Lies always did look horrendous, them taking that rubbish laserdisc transfer and just porting it over onto DVD. *shudders*
Old 09-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #453
Blu-ray Guru

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
The R1 of True Lies always did look horrendous, them taking that rubbish laserdisc transfer and just porting it over onto DVD. *shudders*
The r3 one is ok, the r2 was cut so pointless
DOLBY Ambisonic
Razer The Audience is Listening
Old 09-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #454
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Kay View Post
R2 Japan? That's the one I had.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #455
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Kay View Post
I know, I had the accidentally uncut UK DVD and it looked excellent but that R1, hoo boy. Someone in another thread in the main forum reported on having just watched it in one thread or another and they were gushing about it, I mean I've just done the same with Panic Room's DVD but that's because it ACTUALLY looks half-decent, it's not some non-anamorphic piece of shit that's been chronically over-sharpened. And then matey dropped the bombshell that he was watching on something like a 27" CRT set.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #456
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008

I know people that still own CRT televisions. In fact, they have two CRT televisions. One sits on top of the other one. The CRT televisions are all they use.
"What a waste of thumbs that are imposable
To make machines that are disposable
And sell them to seagulls flying in circles
Around one big right wing"
Old 09-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #457

Apr 2014

People still use them for gaming. Namely Super Smash Bros Melee.

But what does this have to do with Panic Room on 4K Blu-ray?
Thanks given by:
blahsi (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 05:40 PM   #458
Power Member

Oct 2015
Maine

Last year, I went to my local Salvation Army and picked up two 30” Sony CRTs for a total of $22. I purchased them specifically for DVD/VHS viewing and older video games.

EDIT: I installed them in my panic room.
Thanks given by:
Cherokee Jack (09-19-2018), lemonski (09-19-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #459

May 2017
UK

Was this always available in 1080p on iTunes?
Digital Codes for Sale, Mainly 4K!

4K UHD Slipcases wanted! (All UK)
Apollo 13, Deadpool, Jack Reacher, Logan, The Mummy (1999), The Revenant, Serenity, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness (slim case)
Old 09-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #460
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
Denmark

Yes, I suspect that it is an upscale. I have had it for about two years, I think.
Hands off the compression button, Music Industry!
Hands off the DNR button, Blu-Ray producers!
Films are supposed to have grain!

https://twitter.com/Kristofferabild
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies