Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.96
17 hrs ago
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$59.96

Now You See Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
20 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Justice League 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.96

BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old Today, 12:08 AM   #1921
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu31 View Post
I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm just stating my personal preference. I also like the look of the 1999 THX DVD and watch that every year. Everyone has their own preference and look of the film they like best. One is not better than the other.
No. If the transfers were done right, you wouldn't have a "choice." There's the way it was intended to look, and everything else, which is wrong. One is definitely better than the other because it's the way the filmmakers' intended. (and hint: it's not the 1999 THX DVD.)

You may prefer it, but it's not the proper way to watch the film.
Old Today, 12:15 AM   #1922
Special Member

Feb 2008

got mine today from Bullmoose, with slipcover. Projected via my JVC RS-540 (with slightly over 100 hours on the bulb) and using an Oppo 203 along with an 11.2 Atmos set up on my Denon in a dedicated theater room the UHD quality is stunning. The audio on the 7.1 track is also very impressive. I actually have it set to the THX-Neural setting so I'm getting audio from every speaker.

While I see what some are upset about with the lack of inclusion of the original mono, to my ears, this track is fantastic. While I probably will never listen to the original mono it would have been nice to have it included. Not a deal breaker for me though. Best this movie has ever looked.
My Set-Up: JVC DLA-RS540u 4K eshift, 158" 2:35.1 Elite Anamorphic Screen and 11.1 Earthquake surround sound Complete with Denon 6300, Oppo 203
Old Today, 12:21 AM   #1923
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2016
Los Angeles

One clear piece of evidence why the 1999 THX DVD is wrong is when Michael is going after Laurie and punches through the door. It’s very blue, but when it cuts back to that same shot, the blue is gone.
Old Today, 12:23 AM   #1924
Expert Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
No. If the transfers were done right, you wouldn't have a "choice." There's the way it was intended to look, and everything else, which is wrong. One is definitely better than the other because it's the way the filmmakers' intended. (and hint: it's not the 1999 THX DVD.)

You have a superiority complex. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. I'm merely stating you have one.
Old Today, 12:24 AM   #1925
Expert Member

Jul 2016
Missouri (Formerly Manchester, UK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gates70 View Post
Anyone else having a hard time playing the special features with an OPPO? It's not the disc though cause it plays in my Sony.
Plays no problem for me on my oppo
Old Today, 12:31 AM   #1926
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
Aylmer, Quebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpmarks1975 View Post
Plays no problem for me on my oppo
Ok thanks. Must be the handshaking with my projector or something. Played fine on my Sony and TV.
JVC DLA-RS400, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, NAD M25 amp, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner.

Second setup: Sony XBR65X900E, Sony UBP-X800, NAD C388, Paradigm Studio 60's.
Old Today, 12:34 AM   #1927

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post

Nonsense. That's like listening to an audio cd "remaster" that is obviosuly brickwalled and clipped to hell, but saying it's the proper way to listen to the album just because so and so oversaw the remaster themselves.

A person is still entitled to their own opinion for one being "better" than the other. And why did he approve a completely different color timing in the past, if it wasn't "proper"?
Old Today, 12:58 AM   #1928

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL9K View Post
Nonsense. That's like listening to an audio cd "remaster" that is obviosuly brickwalled and clipped to hell, but saying it's the proper way to listen to the album just because so and so oversaw the remaster themselves.

A person is still entitled to their own opinion for one being "better" than the other. And why did he approve a completely different color timing in the past, if it wasn't "proper"?
Dean Cundey didn't supervised that master, but he was ok with it because he stated that it was the closest to what the movie could've looked like IF they had the money back then to make the movie look more like fall. In other words, a total revisionist of the original photography because obviously the movie was shot in spring and not in fall. Also DVD technology back in 1998 was limited and "primitive" to what came out in 2013. The 35th anniversary and 4k UHD (and even the 25th anniversary and 2008 blu-ray) has a constant color palette (regardless of how different from each other) thorought the film. But the on THX DVD, some night scenes are bluer than others and some daylight scenes with trees in the background look sometimes more greenish, yellowish and then brownish when its supposed to be the same shot .
Old Today, 01:00 AM   #1929
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Herbert West View Post
LIONSGATE does love a good joke and this is the best ever: a joke on the customers.
Nice Halloween III reference. So sad though that it's true.
How to go Region B with 3D in the US:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....5#post14437735
Thanks given by:
DR Herbert West (Today)
Old Today, 01:07 AM   #1930
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martoto View Post
This requires the basic assumption that the alarm is sounding as a direct result of Michael breaking into that store early in the morning and that it has been ringing all day since then.

In other words, you need to make an arbitrary plot assumption in order to create a plot hole around it.
Arbitrary? Umm, I think it's pretty much implied that they're there because of the break-in from Myers. It's just that the timing is off in the film for these events.

So you're suggesting there was another break-in later, not by Myers, that set the alarm off again? Lol.
Old Today, 01:17 AM   #1931
Expert Member

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croweyes1121 View Post
1. The very first note of the score (when Judy’s light turns off) is more anemic-sounding on the surround mix, much fuller on the mono.

2. The sound of the metal breaking the glass in the Myers house is altered.

3. Loomis’s final gun click at the end is missing on at least some surround mixes.

4. The final music cue (as Loomis looks down to see Michael Has vanished) is awkwardly inserted in the surround mixes. It feels as if the music cue begins suddenly, already in progress. This is hard to explain, but comparing the two tracks will make the difference pretty obvious.

There are other minor differences, but those are the ones that drive me crazy (in addition to what you’ve already pointed out).
There's also added bird chirping sounds during most of the outdoor scenes.
You'll never get credit for my discovery. Who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow.
Old Today, 01:18 AM   #1932
Expert Member

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
So you're suggesting there was another break-in later, not by Myers, that set the alarm off again? Lol.
Ben Tramer did it.
You'll never get credit for my discovery. Who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow.
Thanks given by:
Bond84 (Today), mar3o (Today)
Old Today, 01:21 AM   #1933
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
Oh there are worse comments than that over there.

I tried to explain how some filmmakers actually add grain to some digitally filmed movies for a certain aesthetic look. I was told I was full of sh*t and that no filmmaker on the planet would do that. A certain crowd over there is long gone...no hope at all actually.
I've gotten into some pretty ridiculous arguments over there in the past - some members over there are downright aggressive and hostile, and some are absolutely clueless as you pointed out. It seems to depend on the thread. Some can be quite helpful, but others are beyond hope.
Old Today, 01:22 AM   #1934
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Herbert West View Post
Ben Tramer did it.
Lol, that's actually a possibility.
Thanks given by:
DR Herbert West (Today)
Old Today, 01:41 AM   #1935
Special Member

Dec 2009

Okay, so I'm not gonna watch this all the way through yet (waiting on my wife and a friend to do a proper Halloween marathon), but I couldn't resist throwing the disc in and skipping around a bit.

Oh. Em. Jee.

Flummoxed by the seemingly mixed response to the PQ so far. This transfer is GORGEOUS. I mean, wow. The beautiful grain, the sharp detail, the muted colors, the punchy HDR. Wow. Sony-esque stuff, really. I can't imagine this possibly looking any better. I've never even been a fan of this movie, but the beauty of the images was pulling me into the film in a way I never have been before, and now I can't wait to rewatch the whole thing.

To my eyes, this is some stellar work by Lionsgate, and I now have complete confidence in The Evil Dead and First Blood. In fact, this looks so good that I think I'm not gonna wait to pick up American Psycho.
Display: 65" Samsung KS8500 (Curved 4K with HDR)
Player: Philips BDP7501 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
Sound: Samsung HW-J7500R 4.1 Soundbar
Additional: Roku 4K, Xbox One S, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo 64, Super Nintendo, 46" Sony KDL-Z5100 (1080p)

Top 50 Favorite Films
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies