Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Pan's Labyrinth 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
The Flintstones: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.98
20 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Original Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
$9.96
1 day ago
Requiem for a Dream 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99
1 day ago
Gamera: The Showa Era (Blu-ray)
$72.99
13 hrs ago
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$39.98
17 hrs ago
The Shining 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 day ago
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

007: The Pierce Brosnan Collection (Blu-ray)
$15.00
2 hrs ago
Total Recall 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
Gladiator/Braveheart 2-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.93
1 day ago
Gremlins 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 11-21-2020, 08:00 PM   #1

Aug 2009
Default subwoofer kicking off and on during dialogue

Hello. I recently had to purchase a new subwoofer for my home theater system. I purchased a Paradigm Defiance V10, and I'm running it from an old Yamaha RX-V373 5.1 receiver.

I didn't do any assisted calibration; I just set it to what sounds good, and it sounds fantastic.

However, during dialogue in films and TV shows, I can hear the sub kick in in the middle of a sentence, like it dropped out briefly and something finally re-engaged it. I usually don't even notice when it disappears, because it never drops out during loud scenes or scenes with constant bass. But suddenly in mid-sentence I'll hear the nice bass floor reappear, letting me know it was off for a time.

I did some research and saw frequent suggestions to change all my other speakers to small in my AV setup, which I did. That seemed to help a little but the problem is still there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:06 AM   #2

Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZeppelin View Post
Hello. I recently had to purchase a new subwoofer for my home theater system. I purchased a Paradigm Defiance V10, and I'm running it from an old Yamaha RX-V373 5.1 receiver.

I didn't do any assisted calibration; I just set it to what sounds good, and it sounds fantastic.

However, during dialogue in films and TV shows, I can hear the sub kick in in the middle of a sentence, like it dropped out briefly and something finally re-engaged it. I usually don't even notice when it disappears, because it never drops out during loud scenes or scenes with constant bass. But suddenly in mid-sentence I'll hear the nice bass floor reappear, letting me know it was off for a time.

I did some research and saw frequent suggestions to change all my other speakers to small in my AV setup, which I did. That seemed to help a little but the problem is still there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
The likely problem is your sub's gain is turned up too loud and the trim from the receiver is set too low. Hence you aren't getting enough signal to keep the subwoofer auto on/off from shutting off. You really need to run the calibration feature and see where it sets everything. If you're still having trouble and you can't boost the sub trim without it being too hot (you don't want to go over 0), you can try lowering the trim on all your other speakers a bit. That way you can run the master volume higher than you are now while keeping the sub trim in the safe area.
Thanks given by:
RedZeppelin (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 07:01 PM   #3

Aug 2009

Thanks. I re-ran the auto-setup feature using the mic that came with the receiver, and it gave me some weird settings. It put all speakers at 0 save for the left rear and sub. It put those at -3 and -9 respectively! With those settings my sub wasn't even audible.

I went back to my original settings, which had the center at +.5 (for louder dialogue) and the rears at +1 (because I really like to hear the surround effects). I originally had the sub at 0 as well, with the volume on the sub itself turned up quite high. I bumped the sub to +3 on the receiver and backed off the volume three ticks on the sub itself.

I'll test that for a while.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:38 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Most subwoofers activates whenever it detects a LFE audio signal in the soundtrack, otherwise the speaker remains silent.
Old Yesterday, 12:52 AM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™

Turn the level on the back of the sub to Max and rerun YPAO.
Use your avr to control the output. I find with Yamaha, I have to run the subs +3 a lot of the time.
Thanks given by:
RedZeppelin (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:26 AM   #6

Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZeppelin View Post
Thanks. I re-ran the auto-setup feature using the mic that came with the receiver, and it gave me some weird settings. It put all speakers at 0 save for the left rear and sub. It put those at -3 and -9 respectively! With those settings my sub wasn't even audible.

I went back to my original settings, which had the center at +.5 (for louder dialogue) and the rears at +1 (because I really like to hear the surround effects). I originally had the sub at 0 as well, with the volume on the sub itself turned up quite high. I bumped the sub to +3 on the receiver and backed off the volume three ticks on the sub itself.

I'll test that for a while.
+3 on the sub is too hot and you can run into clipping. You don't want that. I would lower the trim by 6 on everything (i.e., center -1, sub -3, etc), then raise the master volume on the receiver. Everything will still be balanced the same as it is now but the sub will be in the safe zone. You never want to go over 0 on your sub trim. Negative numbers are best.

What is your crossover set to? 80 is a good place to start but moving it to 100 will help keep the sub from shutting off.
Thanks given by:
RedZeppelin (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM   #7

Aug 2009

The crossover is set to 120, which is the default on the Yamaha.
Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM   #8

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Most subwoofers activates whenever it detects a LFE audio signal in the soundtrack, otherwise the speaker remains silent.
Right. I'm just confused why it happens frequently in the middle of a sentence of dialogue.
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM   #9

Jun 2015

Here's a very long, in depth post that should be of use to you. Among other things, it specifically addresses the issue with Yamaha receivers you're experiencing and offers several remedies to try.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/gui...ences.2958528/
Thanks given by:
RedZeppelin (Yesterday)
Old Today, 12:11 AM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™

I also have a Defiance sub and the app is pretty slick.
Maybe ARC would help you out?
I don’t know how much the microphone is, mine came with the sub.
You may wanna look into it. Just a suggestion.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers