Best Wii U Game Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Game Party Champions (Wii U)
$12.10

Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

Guitar Hero Live (Wii U)
$99.99

Just Dance 2016 (Wii U)
$14.44

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo

Old 09-14-2020, 01:47 AM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2011
Behind the wheel of my Civic [DX]
Default Nintendo Game & Watch (Retro Handheld)

Quote:
The Japanese gaming company announced it would re-release Game & Watch, the handheld sensation that put Nintendo on the map 40 years ago.

First introduced in 1980 and produced until 1991, Game & Watch was a series of handheld games -- 59 in all -- that Nintendo sold before the Game Boy took over the world. Unlike the Game Boy, the black-and-white Game & Watch games could only play a single game each.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainm...cid=uxbndlbing

Cost: $49.99
Release Date: Nov. 13 Friday
Retailers: Amazon, Best Buy, etc.
Games & Features: original Super Mario Bros., Super Mario: The Lost Levels, Mario Ball, built-in clock & rechargeable battery
Thanks given by:
Bradsdadg (Today)
Old 09-14-2020, 01:48 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2011
Behind the wheel of my Civic [DX]

Old 11-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2017

I have to admit, this has grown on me. I'm hoping to find one in stores but with no preorders it will be harder I think...
Old 11-13-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

I opened best buy Canada this morning and to my complete surprise there was an in stock listing for it. Ordered right away.
Thanks given by:
Bradsdadg (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 01:56 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2017

Got mine ready for pickup at 10 when BB opens! Maybe they actually made enough for everyone this time
Old 11-13-2020, 05:53 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Baltimore, MD

Forgot all about this coming out today. Just ordered one off Amazon.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #7
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Uncle Bob's House of Pancakes

Picked mine up at BBY. Now off to Jersey Mikes for double point day.

Thanks given by:
Bradsdadg (11-13-2020), Hatter (11-13-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 09:29 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2015
C:\Edge_City\

I got mine through click & collect, since I'm in a second lockdown where I live.

Nintendo said these things have a bug with the language of the subtitles for the secret mario song. However, this issue doesn't affect me since the English one works perfectly and that's the only language I understand.

This thing is overall very good quality. If you haven't bought one already but have thought about it, then you better do it soon! Nintendo are discontinuing these things on March 31st 2021.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:27 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylor View Post
I got mine through click & collect, since I'm in a second lockdown where I live.

Nintendo said these things have a bug with the language of the subtitles for the secret mario song. However, this issue doesn't affect me since the English one works perfectly and that's the only language I understand.

This thing is overall very good quality. If you haven't bought one already but have thought about it, then you better do it soon! Nintendo are discontinuing these things on March 31st 2021.
If I were to, it would be just to resell it later so think I may pass. I have a 3DS and a ton of games to choose from, yet I always play Mario Kart 7 on it.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
If I were to, it would be just to resell it later so think I may pass. I have a 3DS and a ton of games to choose from, yet I always play Mario Kart 7 on it.
Well, they are limited. So the chances are if you were to buy one and didn't even open it, you could definitely make a tidy profit on it next year once they aren't readily available to buy in stores anymore. Heck people even now are selling them for a higher price than the store value, especially on eBay.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:19 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylor View Post
Well, they are limited. So the chances are if you were to buy one and didn't even open it, you could definitely make a tidy profit on it next year once they aren't readily available to buy in stores anymore. Heck people even now are selling them for a higher price than the store value, especially on eBay.
Nintendo handhelds usually hold it's value (except the newer starting from the DS family) so there is truth to that.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:20 PM   #12

Sep 2017
Minnesota, USA

I thought that I was out of luck the night before it came out when it starting going up and immediately selling out on most online retailers. The next morning I checked Target.com on a whim and they still had it at that point, so I was able to get one and with the Redcard discount to boot. Excited to get the chance to play it, I understand it's more of a novelty than anything but I still think it's neat.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:54 PM   #13
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueberryWaffles View Post
I thought that I was out of luck the night before it came out when it starting going up and immediately selling out on most online retailers. The next morning I checked Target.com on a whim and they still had it at that point, so I was able to get one and with the Redcard discount to boot. Excited to get the chance to play it, I understand it's more of a novelty than anything but I still think it's neat.
Yeah, it is novelty but for me it checks all the right boxes, plus it's really nice to be able to have Super Mario Bros to play portable.

I went online again to buy a second one as a Christmas gift for my boy, but they were already out of stock. These things are selling like crazy. I had to order a second one off of Amazon, luckily they have a decent stock still unlike my local stores. eBay is the next best thing although people selling it on there are inflating the price from the retail value, but it's a solid backup if everywhere else is out.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #14
Special Member

Feb 2017

If anyone is having trouble finding one, check your local Walmarts. It didn't say it was available at the one near me, but still was anyway.

Hopefully a decent jailbreak can come of this (already hacked), even if space is small. Would love to fill it up with a lot of the actual game and watch games if possible.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:23 PM   #15
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKiller View Post
If anyone is having trouble finding one, check your local Walmarts. It didn't say it was available at the one near me, but still was anyway.

Hopefully a decent jailbreak can come of this (already hacked), even if space is small. Would love to fill it up with a lot of the actual game and watch games if possible.
If it can run Gameboy roms I'd probably add all 3 Game & Watch Gallery games to it.
Thanks given by:
CrowKiller (11-17-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 02:07 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

I accidentally bought it on eBay and it was shipped, even though I asked to have my order canceled. No big deal, I'll just keep it sealed.

I've got a 3DS if I want to play on the go.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:13 PM   #17
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
I accidentally bought it on eBay and it was shipped, even though I asked to have my order canceled. No big deal, I'll just keep it sealed.

I've got a 3DS if I want to play on the go.
Yeah, just hang onto it until April next year. By that time these things will be discontinued by Nintendo and will be difficult to find brand new in the box by then. You should easily make your money back and then some, depending on where you sell it, because I know eBay takes a percentage of the profits when selling.
Old Yesterday, 01:43 AM   #18
Special Member

Feb 2017

Found some tricks floating around.

- At the title screen for SMB 1 and 2 tap the B button to level select. Only downside is you have to have accessed the level already once before without cheating. So if you only made it to world 3 for instance, that's as far as you can level select.

- At the title screen of SMB 1 and 2, hold the A button for 5 seconds and you start the game with infinite lives.

- At the start of Ball after picking one of the modes, hold A and you'll play as Luigi.

There's other stuff too but those where the more interesting to me.
Thanks given by:
Bradsdadg (Today)
Old Yesterday, 01:58 AM   #19
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKiller View Post
Found some tricks floating around.

- At the title screen for SMB 1 and 2 tap the B button to level select. Only downside is you have to have accessed the level already once before without cheating. So if you only made it to world 3 for instance, that's as far as you can level select.

- At the title screen of SMB 1 and 2, hold the A button for 5 seconds and you start the game with infinite lives.

- At the start of Ball after picking one of the modes, hold A and you'll play as Luigi.

There's other stuff too but those where the more interesting to me.
I have beaten Super Mario bros 6 times, and Super Mario Bros 2 9 times. What I found out:

Upon beating Super Mario Bros for the first time, you'll unlock the options to choose between "normal" and "hard" modes for both single player and two player games. "Hard" mode just replaces Goombas with another enemy type.

If you use warp zones at any time during a full playthrough of Super Mario Bros 2, you will NOT unlock the secret World 9 which only lets you play it after beating worlds 1 - 8 (it does not appear in world select on the title screen, can only be accessed by starting a game as either Mario or Luigi and playing onwards from there, providing you get to world 8 without using warp zones). If you use infinite lives for World 9, they will not work, if you die once in that world, it gives you a special "Game Over" message from the "staff", and takes you back to the title screen.

Beating Super Mario Bros 2 World 8, 8 times, puts 8 flashing stars next to the word "Super" on the title screen. Once you have 8 stars, you'll be able to select "World A" from the world select B button. You can play through up to "World D" and that is the true end of the game.

In Worlds A, B, C, and D, Bowser does NOT use hammers, making him considerably easier to beat than the previous 8 worlds.

You CAN do the Minus World glitch in Super Mario Bros, however you will never be able to complete it, as it loops over and over (the pipe at the end warps you back to the start). Infinite Lives DOES work with Minus World. Unfortunately this world will not appear on the world select on the title screen either.

Perhaps a Japanese version of this handheld would have the different Minus World that also has -2 and -3 worlds.

Last edited by kylor; Yesterday at 02:58 PM.
Thanks given by:
Ashamed Pegasus (Yesterday), CrowKiller (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:02 AM   #20
Special Member

Feb 2017

Nice finds!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo