Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
His Dark Materials: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Requiem for a Dream 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$115.99
9 hrs ago
Mandy (Blu-ray)
$5.00
1 hr ago
The Flintstones: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.98
1 day ago
Star Trek: The Original Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Gladiator/Braveheart 2-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.93
1 day ago
Gremlins 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Gamera: The Showa Era (Blu-ray)
$72.99
1 day ago
Star Trek: Stardate Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.96
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 11-21-2020, 06:27 PM   #13601
Special Member

Dec 2014
Dublin, Ireland

Europe is putting together a detailed vaccine rollout strategy to begin in early 2021. Europe is releasing a total of 6 vaccines so far to rollout to their entire population including Pfizer, Moderna & CureVac. I don't know about the other 3 vaccines in this new rollout plan.

The FDA have also received the application from Pfizer & Moderna today to determine approval for emergency use authorisation in the U.S.

If all goes well; those 2 vaccines before the FDA should get approval in Mid-Dec.

That doesn't take away the fact that Penton-Man had lost his brother in law to Covid-19. My sympathy goes out to your friends & family. May he RIP.

Last edited by dublinbluray108; 11-21-2020 at 06:35 PM. Reason: I forgot to say brother in law. My apologies.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (11-22-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #13602
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Yay! Another daily record for cases.
I don't understand how this works. Every day that passes, the number goes higher and higher - are these actual new cases every day? This means that hundreds of thousands of people are going out and getting tested daily. That sounds like a mobilization. Many people I've spoken with at work have no plans of getting a test and some have never even been tested. I, myself, only got a test just a few weeks ago and I never would've gone for one if it hadn't been because my dad flew in from where he lives to visit me (against my wishes). There's a LOT of people out there who still don't believe the virus is real (viewers of FOX news, mostly) and refuse to wear masks. So if this is a mobilization, municipalities and local governments are doing something right for a change.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:16 PM   #13603
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
I'm happy to answer "Yes". As I said, and was very clearly referenced in the graphic, the UK's Office of National Statistics.
It was (and is) a highly-respected statistically robust, scientific, survey.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...onsanddiseases

The dataset used which contains that 98% value is the "Opinions and Lifestyles survey" as shown in the graphic, which is updated and published in full weekly. Yesterday there was a new dataset which is here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...eatbritaindata

You can download the Excel file and refer to Table C8 for the "face coverings" data, and see all the figures in the high 90's including the 98% one. They give the confidence intervals, the sample sizes, weighted counts, and most importantly the exact wording of the Question which was asked. I'm not a statistician, but they are, and they are very serious about what they do because stats are no use unless the processes are robust.

HTH

[Aside: Their own publications which use that dataset include the long-titled (new one yesterday) "Coronavirus and the social impacts on Great Britain: 20 November 2020 Indicators from the Opinions and Lifestyle Survey covering the period 11 to 15 November 2020 to understand the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic on people, households and communities in Great Britain." https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...britain/latest

But because they publish the data, others are free to use it and not the ONS' own Publication - as the UK Government did creating that graphic I posted
]

I'm conscious that I have talked about their publications more than their methods, which was your question. I looked for a quick answer to "how are people selected" . My memory tells me that they go to great lengths to have a good properly randomised sample across the UK. I cannot find perfect references, but they are definitely on the website somewhere. There's this:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/surveys/infor...useholdsurveys .

For what it's worth, my own anecdotal observations in my local area shows extremely high compliance of mask-wearing too. But that's anecdotal, and not statistically valid.
Thank you for your dedicated research. That 98% was a surprise to me without a doubt.
But that's very good. The only way to slow it down is to keep it up, mask up.
And of course we all pray and hope for a vaccine, because waiting for the year 2025 (roughly) to get back to a normal life is a long time.

* Yesterday some new records high ...

20201121_112617.jpg
Old 11-21-2020, 10:30 PM   #13604
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman1980 View Post
There's also -
Did you wear it properly, pretty sure a disturbing percentage of the population do not.
If you wear disposables, do you switch them frequently enough?
If you wear reusables, do you wash them every time you use them?
Circling back around to the first one because even in the workplace so many people use them incorrectly multiple times in a shift.
Are you wearing gaiters or bandanas, which I'm pretty sure don't actually protect anyone.
Also slightly related, are you still socially distancing as much as possible?
These are the things the people want to know.
All very important points for a serious survey about the efficiency of masks, not just wearing them @ 98% of the UK population.

* It's a huge challenge; many people don't watch all the right instructions on masks.
I'm afraid that we'll have to ride the wave as best we can.
We can only do our part, not all parts.

From what the experts are saying the next couple weeks won't be a pretty picture.
And inside those two weeks is Thanksgiving (US) ... & Black Friday ...
Thanks given by:
Batman1980 (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 10:46 PM   #13605
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫
Default ⚕ Health

On vaccine (storage, distribution, etc.) ...

https://unfoldtimes.com/the-worlds-n...ey-need-to-go/

Old 11-21-2020, 11:47 PM   #13606
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Pfizer's vaccine is definitely going to cause a problem as far as storage / distribution goes. It's temperature requirements are way too stringent. The Moderna vaccine is much better in this regard since it can be stored in a regular freezer for months, and even viable at room temperature for 12 hours.

I'd even be a bit concerned about whether I got a working vaccine if I got the Pfizer one.
Thanks given by:
Pondosinatra (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 12:15 AM   #13607
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Pfizer could be promising...95% effective and the stock market seems to like it.
It also brings optimism in the population; that's good.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:37 AM   #13608
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Social distancing and mask wearing indoors? Fine.
Leaders of states and provinces forcing lockdowns however can all rot in hell as far as I'm concerned. Any minute difference they think it makes is offset by increased suicide and domestic abuse cases as well as increased general financial hardship.
Thanks given by:
Chaotic (11-22-2020), Monterey Jack (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 02:38 AM   #13609
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2009
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Leaders of states and provinces forcing lockdowns however can all rot in hell as far as I'm concerned. Any minute difference they think it makes is offset by increased suicide and domestic abuse cases as well as increased general financial hardship.
Not to mention, people will just gather at each other's houses.
Thanks given by:
Hatter (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 02:55 AM   #13610
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
really sorry to hear. My deepest condolences.

when my mom's cousin passed away at the end of August my cousin decide to have an online videoconference wake for him. People could not be with him but it was a nice way to gather everyone together for one last farewell.
The funeral home is setting up a live streaming and recording of the memorial service for us out-of-towners. Meanwhile, I completed my mission today.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:06 AM   #13611
Expert Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Something has to be done. People want to ignore it, and not do anything, then you are forcing the government's hand. They aren't, and shouldn't, just sit around and hope it gets better.

Also, masks and social distancing is more than fine, it's absolutely necessary.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:06 AM   #13612

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinbluray108 View Post
Europe is putting together a detailed vaccine rollout strategy to begin in early 2021. Europe is releasing a total of 6 vaccines so far to rollout to their entire population including Pfizer, Moderna & CureVac. I don't know about the other 3 vaccines in this new rollout plan.

The FDA have also received the application from Pfizer & Moderna today to determine approval for emergency use authorisation in the U.S.

If all goes well; those 2 vaccines before the FDA should get approval in Mid-Dec.

That doesn't take away the fact that Penton-Man had lost his brother in law to Covid-19. My sympathy goes out to your friends & family. May he RIP.
Thanks Dublin. Tomorrow I plan to take my mind off it all by watching the Liverpool match. Tonight, my recording of the Spurs v. Man City. My wife will start Obamas The Promised Land Audiobook.

Regarding the request for emergency use authorization of a COVID-19 vaccine from Pfizer, Inc. in partnership with BioNTech Manufacturing GmbH., a positive recommendation from the independent scientific experts on FDAs Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee should and will be required before granting an emergency use authorization. This session is open to the public to bring as much transparency to the process as possible and hopefully encourage as many people as possible to get vaccinated -

Old 11-22-2020, 03:11 AM   #13613

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema84 View Post
There's a LOT of people out there who still don't believe the virus is real (viewers of FOX news, mostly) and refuse to wear masks.
If they could watch whats really going on in hospitals, there would be no more complacency -
https://www.wired.com/story/this-pandemic-must-be-seen/
Thanks given by:
Cinema84 (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 04:02 AM   #13614
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2009
Denver, CO

If people still call it a hoax while dying (in South Dakota hospitals) nothing will convince them.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:21 AM   #13615
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

They have been showing long lines at grocery stores here. So we have been hesitant to do any "fill-in shopping." At 7:15 I told my son: "let's take a ride." We are going to go first to Walmart than Dollar Tree. In the car we decided to reverse the order. If we see lines, we will just turn around and go home.

Dollar Tree is empty. Maybe 2 other people besides us. OK - get what we need (LOL and what we want) and schlep the packages out to the car. I look over at another store across the way (same mini-mall). Its Sprouts. Veggies, Fruits etc. We desperately need onions. No line. No one in the store but us. Grab $7 worth of onions. We will try Walmart later in the week.

On our way home we pass a Target. with a HUGE line.

SUCKERS!
Old 11-22-2020, 04:51 AM   #13616
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
They have been showing long lines at grocery stores here. So we have been hesitant to do any "fill-in shopping." At 7:15 I told my son: "let's take a ride." We are going to go first to Walmart than Dollar Tree. In the car we decided to reverse the order. If we see lines, we will just turn around and go home.

Dollar Tree is empty. Maybe 2 other people besides us. OK - get what we need (LOL and what we want) and schlep the packages out to the car. I look over at another store across the way (same mini-mall). Its Sprouts. Veggies, Fruits etc. We desperately need onions. No line. No one in the store but us. Grab $7 worth of onions. We will try Walmart later in the week.

On our way home we pass a Target. with a HUGE line.

SUCKERS!
You should consider using the Walmart phone app to order most of your grocery needs. They send you a message that the order is ready to pickup and you park in the designated pickup area. They put the bags in the trunk or rear of your SUV.

My wife has been grocery shopping this way every week since May, and its been a smooth experience. They tell you in advance if they are OOS or substituting, you can then adjust or refuse items as required.

We still go into Sprouts for a lot of produce due to exceptional prices and high quality. But were probably getting 85-90% from Walmart overall.
Funny thing is we didnt shop for groceries there until this catastrophe happened.
Thanks given by:
LordoftheRings (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 05:55 AM   #13617
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkolb View Post
You should consider using the Walmart phone app to order most of your grocery needs. They send you a message that the order is ready to pickup and you park in the designated pickup area. They put the bags in the trunk or rear of your SUV.

My wife has been grocery shopping this way every week since May, and it’s been a smooth experience. They tell you in advance if they are OOS or substituting, you can then adjust or refuse items as required.

We still go into Sprouts for a lot of produce due to exceptional prices and high quality. But we’re probably getting 85-90% from Walmart overall.
Funny thing is we didn’t shop for groceries there until this catastrophe happened.
I've read that it's different in other areas, but Walmart grocery pickup broke down in the March/April grocery shortages.

People would buy paper products, rice, beans, meat, or other high-demand groceries and then there wouldn't be anything when they picked them up, even with order confirmations and everything.

It works in good times, but in interesting times... not so much. I have read though that Walmart kind of revamped their pickup so where if you reserve an item and checkout, that its sequestered away and locked in. At least it was that way for the big TVs on sale for the weekly Black Friday sales.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:18 AM   #13618
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Youngest victim today in Alberta was in her 20's...
Old 11-22-2020, 08:10 AM   #13619
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

I'm popping in here after my one month hiatus from this thread to express my complete shock and concern for the staggering number of new cases over these past few weeks. We are at the point where some states have hit a 50% infection rate!!!!

Now, I'm going to assume the best in people and hope that most, if not everyone, are wearing masks, socially distancing and only going out for essential purposes. If that's the case, then I'm in complete amazement at how the infection rate has gotten as high as it is today! We are 8 months into this pandemic and things have gotten worse instead of better. I guess we're completely deadlocked on a solution other than hoping that the vaccine will completely solve this. Though at this point, I'm not optimistic that it will and this may be worse, much worse, than the Spanish Flu!
Old 11-22-2020, 08:36 AM   #13620
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
I'm popping in here after my one month hiatus from this thread to express my complete shock and concern for the staggering number of new cases over these past few weeks. We are at the point where some states have hit a 50% infection rate!!!!

Now, I'm going to assume the best in people and hope that most, if not everyone, are wearing masks, socially distancing and only going out for essential purposes. If that's the case, then I'm in complete amazement at how the infection rate has gotten as high as it is today! We are 8 months into this pandemic and things have gotten worse instead of better. I guess we're completely deadlocked on a solution other than hoping that the vaccine will completely solve this. Though at this point, I'm not optimistic that it will and this may be worse, much worse, than the Spanish Flu!
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm

https://theconversation.com/compare-...diction-138895

https://apnews.com/article/6c45a08d3...deb7e55a6a107e

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 11-22-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat