Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
His Dark Materials: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Requiem for a Dream 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$115.99
9 hrs ago
Mandy (Blu-ray)
$5.00
1 hr ago
The Flintstones: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.98
1 day ago
Star Trek: The Original Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Gladiator/Braveheart 2-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.93
1 day ago
Gremlins 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Gamera: The Showa Era (Blu-ray)
$72.99
1 day ago
Star Trek: Stardate Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.96
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-25-2020, 01:39 AM   #1
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
Default The Last Blockbuster (2020) Documentary

The Last Blockbuster (2020) Blu-ray/DVD Combo

Available for purchase via Bend Blockbuster website:
https://bendblockbuster.com/product/...vie-pre-order/

The Last Blockbuster is a fun, nostalgic look back at the era of video rentals and the story of how one small town video store managed to outlast a corporate giant. Featuring interviews with comedians and celebrities with ties to Blockbuster: Adam Brody (“The O.C.”, Jennifer’s Body), Ione Skye (Say Anything, River’s Edge), Doug Benson (“Getting Doug with High”, The Lego Batman Movie), Paul Scheer (“The League”, “Veep”) and director Kevin Smith (Clerks, Jay and Silent Bob), with narration by Lauren Lapkus (The Wrong Missy, “Orange Is The New Black”).

Filmmakers Taylor Morden & Zeke Kamm follow the manager of the world’s sole remaining Blockbuster in Bend, OR, Sandi Harding, as she reflects on the store's vibrant past and navigates the difficult task of keeping a video rental store open in the era of streaming. Taking us through the history and subsequent rise and fall of the franchise, the documentary reveals the real reason why Blockbuster went out of business (hint - it wasn’t Netflix), while celebrating the unique and defining culture it created in the ‘90s, honoring a simpler times and the sense of community that could once be found in Blockbuster locations across the world.
Thanks given by:
GenPion (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 01:55 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2019
The Chair in the Doorway

No revisionist history for me. Unless the documentary talks about Blockbuster's high prices and rude, worthless staff, I'll pass.
Thanks given by:
bergman864 (11-21-2020), BluZone (11-22-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 07:32 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Pittsburgh

My copy just came in from Blockbuster (God, there's something I never thought I'd say). Super fast shipping, I ordered it on Thursday I think. Looking forward to watching this one.

Edit: I actually ordered in on Thursday and it arrived from OR to PA in just two days.

Last edited by starman15317; 11-21-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #4

Jun 2011

Oooh! Please, tell us what you think, give a review! And is it a legit Blu-Ray or is it a burnt BD-R?

I worked at Hollywood Video during the last 5 years of its life. There wasn't a Blockbuster in my town, so we were it! I was Assistant Manager and stayed during the entire liquidation until the doors were locked for good.

While Blockbuster I am sure did things a little differently, and I actually never went in one, I am still curious to see this documentary! I am sure I will still feel insanely nostalgic for it.

Oh, and @Jay H, you're right... like any job there were of course rude workers at video stores too, including mine. And yeah the high prices did get ridiculous. I remember when things started to go noticeably south at Hollywood Video, at least, was when in a desperate attempt to battle against Netflix and etc, they changed their monthly rental programs. I forget the exact details now of course, but they basically started charging people more but while also making them get less. I just remember it was a bizarre and overly complicated point-based system that confused people and honestly pissed them off. It was SUPER hard to try and sell the program after that, and it was easy for anyone to see how bad it was. We LOST more people after the programs changed, and it never got better, clearly.

Last edited by scallenger; 11-21-2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:33 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Syracuse, NY

I really didnt have a Blockbuster super close by so my fond memories of video stores are of the mom and pop places. I would drive around town to the different ones because they had their own niche and decorated horror sections etc. To me Blockbuster was generic.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:52 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H. View Post
No revisionist history for me. Unless the documentary talks about Blockbuster's high prices and rude, worthless staff, I'll pass.
You’re not wrong there! I remember a time when they kept badgering me to reimburse them full SRP for a LaserDisc I allegedly never returned from renting. I insisted over and over that I did but they simply wouldn’t let up. I finally drove to the physical store, took the manager over to their LD rental display and pointed at the disc in question sitting there. That’s what it took to end the cycle, and even then, I never even got an apology.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:28 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Pittsburgh

Just got done watching it. This was a fun documentary overall. Certainly not fantastic by any means and the narration felt unnecessary, but I really enjoyed it.

Both the BD and DVD are real discs, not BD-R or DVD-R. No captions unfortunately, but there are chapters (no chapter menu or popup menu) and a nice little assortment of special features.
Thanks given by:
scallenger (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 11:47 PM   #8

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
You’re not wrong there! I remember a time when they kept badgering me to reimburse them full SRP for a LaserDisc I allegedly never returned from renting. I insisted over and over that I did but they simply wouldn’t let up. I finally drove to the physical store, took the manager over to their LD rental display and pointed at the disc in question sitting there. That’s what it took to end the cycle, and even then, I never even got an apology.
Definitely mistakes were made for sure. Judging by some of the dumb teens I worked with over those years, haha. However, some people had THOUSANDS of dollars in late fees. It was insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman15317 View Post
Just got done watching it. This was a fun documentary overall. Certainly not fantastic by any means and the narration felt unnecessary, but I really enjoyed it.
Just curious, but did it mention Hollywood Video at all? Haha. Had to ask.

Last edited by scallenger; 11-21-2020 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:48 PM   #9

Oct 2019

My Blockbuster (UK) story - just prior to the wife and I moving to our second house in 2005 I had to get shot of my entire VHS collection of around 4000 tapes, around half of which were store-bought and ex-rentals whilst the other half were filled up with stuff recorded off TV. Anyway, the house we were moving to was in a MUCH nicer area, but the house was (is) smaller, and there just wasn't anywhere I could store my VHS tapes (at the same time my DVD collection was growing rapidly). VHS was already in its death throes and despite advertising in local papers and the few online auction sites that were running in the UK (I can't remember if eBay had fully found its feet here by then) I had zero interest and, after a few weeks of investigating alternatives like storage (a small fortune) I swallowed my pride and took the lot down to our local recycling centre (or "tip" as they were still called then) and left them. The guy there said the "blanks" would go straight in the bin whilst the store-bought ones would be left out in one of the units where they put books, CDs, cassettes and vinyl for people to help themselves. It was a bitter pill to swallow, especially as there were some rarities that hadn't been released on DVD or laserdisc, but I didn't really have any other option.

Three days later - THREE F'ING DAYS - I was watching TV and on comes a Blockbuster ad saying they would pay you or give you store credit for your VHS collections (I seem to recall that being one of the first and biggest nails in Blockbuster UK's coffin). I was Brody sat on the beach seeing Alex Kintner get eaten and Dave Kujan dropping his coffee at the same time. I could have cried.

I'm interested in seeing the doc.

Last edited by Jackie Scanlon; 11-21-2020 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:00 AM   #10

Jun 2012
Omaha

Really fun doc. They don't skimp on the issues they faced either. It's not all love. But the heart of the doc is about Sandi Harding and the last store. I did the Kickstarter.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:58 AM   #11

Apr 2015
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallenger View Post
Oooh! Please, tell us what you think, give a review! And is it a legit Blu-Ray or is it a burnt BD-R?

I worked at Hollywood Video during the last 5 years of its life. There wasn't a Blockbuster in my town, so we were it! I was Assistant Manager and stayed during the entire liquidation until the doors were locked for good.

While Blockbuster I am sure did things a little differently, and I actually never went in one, I am still curious to see this documentary! I am sure I will still feel insanely nostalgic for it.

Oh, and @Jay H, you're right... like any job there were of course rude workers at video stores too, including mine. And yeah the high prices did get ridiculous. I remember when things started to go noticeably south at Hollywood Video, at least, was when in a desperate attempt to battle against Netflix and etc, they changed their monthly rental programs. I forget the exact details now of course, but they basically started charging people more but while also making them get less. I just remember it was a bizarre and overly complicated point-based system that confused people and honestly pissed them off. It was SUPER hard to try and sell the program after that, and it was easy for anyone to see how bad it was. We LOST more people after the programs changed, and it never got better, clearly.
Hollywood Video was my favorite. I thought they had decent prices and a vast selection. Blockbuster never had the new releases in stock and had a lackluster catalog selection. I never thought of Blockbuster staff as rude, but some did come off as arrogant.. which, to be fair, it was a cool job to have in the 90s, especially if you were a "young" person.
Thanks given by:
scallenger (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 04:55 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallenger View Post
Just curious, but did it mention Hollywood Video at all? Haha. Had to ask.
No mentions of Hollywood Video, but they do talk about mom and pop shops a bit.

I second that Hollywood Video did have a better selection of catalog titles.
Thanks given by:
scallenger (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 04:57 AM   #13

Jul 2017
central New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehthomas View Post
Hollywood Video was my favorite. I thought they had decent prices and a vast selection. Blockbuster never had the new releases in stock and had a lackluster catalog selection.
Exactly what I was going to say. My local Hollywood Video was only 5 minutes away so they got all my business. Not only did they seem to get almost every new title that was released every week, but they had the original DVD cases so you could read all about the film. If it was 2-disc release, they gave you both discs in the case. I was able to watch a lot of great smaller studio / independent films that never made it to my local cinemas. I don't know if they had different size stores, but mine was at least twice as big as the local Blockbuster. Even at the time I knew I was lucky to have such a great source for films and was really sad when they finally closed.
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 05:49 AM   #14

Jun 2011

My Hollywood Video that I worked at had a Game Crazy built into it, and it was a pretty sizeable building. Hell, the same building now is split into three sections, with one side of it now hosting a GameStop, ironically. The opposite side where the Game Crazy was, lol. I think the middle is vacant and the right side has a Sprint store, I think. So that may give you an idea.

I actually today (in a weirdly depressed state of nostalgia) posted decade-old pics and even a video I dug up of my old store, just a week or so before we locked up for good.

(let me know if this link doesn't work)

https://www.facebook.com/derrick.dav...58466302105660

Anyway, it's funny that I do often hear people liked Hollywood Video better. As I think I mentioned before I may have only ever stepped into a Blockbuster once, so it is hard for me to truly compare. Sadly I don't think Hollywood Video was ever quite as popular as them, so I doubt my old company will get a lavish documentary anytime ever. Some decent little ones on YouTube though!

Last edited by scallenger; 11-22-2020 at 05:55 AM.
Thanks given by:
JupiterMission (Yesterday)
Old 11-22-2020, 07:52 AM   #15

Jul 2017
central New Jersey

Looks like your store was just about the same size as the one I went to and I see you had Blu-rays. My store didn't have any when it closed down in 2007 and it's now a Save-a-lot supermarket.
Thanks given by:
scallenger (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 07:57 AM   #16

Jun 2011

Ahh that's because my store lasted until July 2010... it was apparently one of the last in the company to close. We made really good numbers at our location because it was in a small town. Streaming was largely out of the question for a lot of people (still is for some), and people set in their ways just didn't care for Redbox much. Probably at least partly how the Blockbuster in Oregon survived. But yeah, we only had Blu-Rays for a couple years, I believe, so that makes sense that yours never got them. Hell, I started in 2005 and we still had VHS for at least the first year I was there until we phased them out.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:31 AM   #17
Special Member

Oct 2011

Is this documentary available to buy anywhere?
Old 11-22-2020, 07:38 PM   #18

Jan 2013

I recommend it.

https://bendblockbuster.com/product/...vie-pre-order/
Thanks given by:
JoelGoodsen (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2019

Hollywood Video was definitely better. Blockbuster, especially in the later years, kind of sucked. I only ever went there to buy pre-viewed VHS and DVD's. We used to have a few mom and pop stores and I always preferred those. One of them was right down the street from where I lived.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:08 PM   #20
Special Member

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgould View Post
Thank You
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America