Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
8 hrs ago
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
11 hrs ago
The Spy Who Dumped Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
7 hrs ago
The Greatest Showman 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
10 hrs ago
John Wick 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
12 hrs ago
Deepwater Horizon 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
8 hrs ago
Lucy 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.93

Oblivion 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
12 hrs ago
The Equalizer 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
8 hrs ago
The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
10 hrs ago
The Great Wall 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 11-08-2018, 07:21 PM   #141

Jan 2012
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
It's nice! Just got it tho so can't comment too much only demo'd a few scenes. Watched some HD content yesterday the picture is brighter with richer colors tho compared to my non HDR tv I had before. Using Standard mode for regular tv, after doing some research I setup the player input with Cinema Pro and made a few tweaks, I'm sure I'll do some more tweaking after watching a few movies this wkd.

Try out these setting for a start. YMMV as every panel is different, as is every room.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1519270866
Thanks given by:
rroeder (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 12:59 AM   #142

Oct 2018

Quote:
It's nice! Just got it tho so can't comment too much only demo'd a few scenes. Watched some HD content yesterday the picture is brighter with richer colors tho compared to my non HDR tv I had before. Using Standard mode for regular tv, after doing some research I setup the player input with Cinema Pro and made a few tweaks, I'm sure I'll do some more tweaking after watching a few movies this wkd.
Thanks for the information and please post some more updates after you have watched some more movies. If you get a chance can you try a couple of DVD's. I'd like to know your thoughts on DVD's.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:58 AM   #143

Aug 2014

My 900 85in will be here tomorrow. cant wait. my living room 55 died, so I moved my 78 curved to living room and will ad the 85 to the HT room
Thanks given by:
rroeder (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 01:21 AM   #144

Feb 2018
Alaska

Does anyone know when the BF prices are likely to take effect? Might it be over the weekend or sometime next week?
Old 11-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #145

Mar 2011

So we watched The Avengers last night, I have watched around 30 UHD's on a 4K SDR tv over the last few years but this was the first with an HDR capable display and WOW! The special effects and colors were amazing, was not expecting that dramatic of a difference really expected it to be more of a subtle improvement. So I'm very pleased with the picture quality some of the scenes did indeed make me squint! Even the wife said she noticed the picture improvement and bright special effects.

Gonna watch X-Men Apocalypse next, maybe one of my other titles in Dolby Vision to check that out but pretty stoked with the new display!
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #146
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

Just got my 900F yesterday and got it set up. I was coming from the Z9F as I feel it wasn't quite where it should be from a quality control perspective (light bleeding along edges, weird zone lighting stuff going on in very specific scenarios, and even a little light leakage along the bottom of the screen).

Considering this TV is half the price of the Z9F, it's comparable. I watch in a pitch black environment almost exclusively, so this TV gets bright enough for my needs when HDR is involved.

The Z9F does some things better, other things worse. For example, the light bar bleed is far worse on the Z9F. In actual on-screen content though, blooming was better in certain respects on the 900F, but in others blooming was also worse. I feel like the Z9F did better with bright stuff against a black background. When it came to bright stuff against a normal picture, the 900F has better overall light uniformity in that respect.

My 900F has one small spot with dirty screen stuff going on. However, it's not noticeable in most my usage in my first 24 hours. I did a torture test with the foggy sequence near the beginning of Blade Runner 2049, and I can see it. But otherwise, it really hasn't been noticeable while watching 2001 on 4K UHD with HDR, nor has it been noticeable while playing PvZ Garden Warfare 2 or Cuphead. Even with Sea of Thieves, I really need to be looking for it in order to see it. Other than the one small spot though, this panel is uniform, and doesn't really have me missing the uniformity of the Z9F too much.

I feel like the trade-off between the Z9F to the 900F was well worth it. No doubt the Z9F is a monster in many respects (in a good way), but the price differential considering how well the 900F performs, for my money, means the 900F is the better buy. Also coming from the Z9F, I actually do appreciate the uptick in native contrast on the 900F.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (11-11-2018), MechaGodzilla (11-12-2018), Remo (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #147

Mar 2011

Despicable Me in Dolby vision was not quite as impressive but good to know DV works on my setup, a logo came up briefly at the beginning but otherwise just shows HDR on TV. The players display info showed it but I think it's forced with the X700 when you turn it on.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:17 PM   #148

Jan 2012
Michigan

Quote:
Despicable Me in Dolby vision was not quite as impressive but good to know DV works on my setup, a logo came up briefly at the beginning but otherwise just shows HDR on TV. The players display info showed it but I think it's forced with the X700 when you turn it on.
This one isn't in DV(it's HDR10) but definitely shows off HDR, Lego Batman.

Last edited by Remo; 11-12-2018 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-12-2018, 10:01 PM   #149

Mar 2011

Ok thx, I picked up the Harry Potter set and a few other titles, gonna watch plenty of UHD's over the next couple weeks. I need to hold off till black friday to buy anymore discs been cutoff
Old 11-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #150

Mar 2011

Anyone use the Custom setting for Motionflow with the sliders? I haven't been super happy with it off or the standard setting for sports and TV, not movies.

Smoothness at 2, Clearness at 1, really cleans up the motion handling of the tv
Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM   #151

Dec 2008

So I've been tinking with my settings for HDR/DV content on my x900F and I'm a little confused with regards to different brightness levels between picture modes.

With totally identical settings across the board, the Custom picture mode achieves a higher brightness than the Standard mode. This is all fine and good, I'll just use Custom obviously. But when I play Dolby Vision content, it's the same lower brightness as the Standard picture mode. All the settings are identical, the brightness is maxed out, and yet Custom is quite a bit brighter. The result here is that HDR10 content looks a lot nicer than Dolby Vision due to the boost in brightness and the added vibrancy that gives the image.

I've triple checked, all settings are completely identical.

If it means anything, HDR10 content is being passed through to the TV via PC (mpc/lav/madvr setup), and the DV content is via an x700. The PC is set to Full RGB 4:4:4 via Radeon, Lav and Madvr, and the x700 is set to Auto (as is the TV's video settings so I believe it's probably 4:2:0 and Limited which would be reflected in the TV).

The blacks aren't crushed in DV or anything, nor are they greyed out. It looks identical to how the Standard mode displays HDR content, but is missing that extra brightness that makes it pop achievable through Custom that I obviously can't use in DV.

Can anyone shed some light on this (ha ha ha)

Last edited by Rusty100; Yesterday at 11:58 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Tags
sony 2018 tvs, sony x900f, value electronics, x900f