Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Bullet Train 4K Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$42.99
1 day ago
Bullet Train 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99
8 hrs ago
Starship Troopers 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Spider-Man: No Way Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Where the Crawdads Sing (Blu-ray)
$26.99
1 day ago
Lost Highway 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Disturbing Behavior (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
The Amusement Park (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Last Action Hero 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Night of the Living Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$15.00
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 03-20-2022, 08:17 AM   #1

Jan 2018
Default Does the Sony UBP-X800M2 still have freezing issues?

Hi,

Iím looking for a new 4K Blu-ray player, preferably one that has Dolby Vision support. I heard the Sony UBP-X800M2 is pretty decent for the price, however I heard thereís a lot of freezing issues. However, in late 2021 there was a firmware update that supposedly made 4K Blu-ray playback more stable. Can anyone confirm this update fixed the freezing issues I hear so much about? Or does the player still have the issues?
Old 03-20-2022, 09:41 AM   #2

Jun 2016
South Wales, Disunited Kingdom
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiptuner View Post
Hi,

Iím looking for a new 4K Blu-ray player, preferably one that has Dolby Vision support. I heard the Sony UBP-X800M2 is pretty decent for the price, however I heard thereís a lot of freezing issues. However, in late 2021 there was a firmware update that supposedly made 4K Blu-ray playback more stable. Can anyone confirm this update fixed the freezing issues I hear so much about? Or does the player still have the issues?
I have had mine for two years now and the only disc that ever crashed the player was the 4K import of La Piscine - which caused most players (Panasonic included) to crash. That one issue was indeed solved by the latest firmware update. Other than that, I have never experienced any issues whatsoever with any disc, whether 4K, 1080p Blu-ray or DVD. Personally, I really don't find the manual DV switching to be an issue but I understand why it might annoy some.
That is my personal account but others have been having a different experience.
Thanks given by:
ctujackbauer (05-08-2022), Geoff D (05-05-2022), sa5150 (03-24-2022), Scarriere (05-07-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 03:09 AM   #3

Oct 2008
-

Do you think that if the freezing problems were so rampant like some here would have you believe, the machines would keep being sold after so many years they've been in production. If that was the case, most retailers selling them would be so tired of dealing with customers complains that they would stop offering it.
All players have problems and when you are dealing with a machine that sold so many units, over so many years, you will hear more about them.
Thanks given by:
Number 6 (04-05-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 06:23 PM   #4

Dec 2021
USA

I just bought one at Best Buy and it occasionally freezes on 4k Blu-rays.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:41 AM   #5

Apr 2022

My X800M2 was bought in the early 2021 and has had occasional freezes when playing 100GB 4k discs. I've often heard that keeping the discs clean and wiping them before first use could reduce these issues, but until recently did not take this advice very seriously, as the discs were mostly brand new and appeared clean.

However, out of frustration I eventually conceded and started to wipe even the brand new discs with microfiber cloth. I was surprised to find out, that this actually had the intended effect. Out of 7 100GB discs I have played since then, none have had any issues (3 of them froze during my previous playthrough).

As a conclusion, I now assume that many if not most of the issues with 4k playback are due to the discs, not the players. From what I've heard, some manufacturing residue is the cause, usually can't be seen and requires quite a strong wiping to get off the discs.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:26 PM   #6

Jan 2022
US

For us it depends. We've had a couple disk freeze, and even after cleaning them well and trying again they just freeze and jam up the machine. We've exchanged probably 7 disks and in all but one case (well there was another one on monday (Inception) which I just returned and am not sure if I will replace it with blu ray or 4k yet I'm still deciding) the replacements disks all played just fine, so it's the disks not the player. But yes it is a pain and the first time I watch every new 4k I worry about it freezing. One came with a little scratch and I thought it would be a problem and it played through with even a stutter. So who knows what causes it for my player? But that one case, Alien, we tried three versions of the disk (and no we didn't get the same one back) and even after wiping the machine of all things we changed and going to the new update (which happened before we bought it so we assumed it had the newest firmware but it didn't) it still would not play. We just bought it on blu ray sadly, because man, that movie looked awesome in 4k!

But, on the other side, the player is awesome! Not sure if it's the player or the TV or both, but it upscales blu rays to the point of looking like 4k! Old crappy DVDs look bad, but good DVDs look surprisingly good! We're still buying old used DVDs that we can't get on blu ray or 4k and even when they come scratched to hell, I mean a couple of them are BAAAADDDD, they play flawlessly! It's a solid player. Don't worry about buying it. And this is coming from someone who has had issues with disks skipping. All players will have problems at some point or another. It's a good price point if you can find them on sale, and really is a good player.
Thanks given by:
Number 6 (05-12-2022), Scarriere (05-07-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 01:06 PM   #7
Power Member

Aug 2007
New York, NY, US

I like the x800m2 myself, we have one in our player test bank. It's not too common, but it does appear to have occasional pauses in the middle of a 100gb disc more often than the Panasonic players. Those are my first recommendation.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:06 PM   #8

Oct 2020
Canada
Default Multiple Freezing Issues

I am now on my 3rd player and all of them have had freezing issues. They run solid for about 2hrs but anything longer than that and they freeze. I keep trying new ones because I love the player and construction materials but I am now looking for a different option as it takes us away from enjoying the movie. The latest one I bought was in May 2022 and I thought the issue might be resolved as it had a new remote, however no such luck.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:11 PM   #9

Oct 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydMike15 View Post
I am now on my 3rd player and all of them have had freezing issues. They run solid for about 2hrs but anything longer than that and they freeze. I keep trying new ones because I love the player and construction materials but I am now looking for a different option as it takes us away from enjoying the movie. The latest one I bought was in May 2022 and I thought the issue might be resolved as it had a new remote, however no such luck.
Is you player connected to the Internet?
Old 06-15-2022, 07:18 PM   #10

Oct 2020
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlCorvo View Post
Is you player connected to the Internet?
Yes, it is connected to wifi. I only have it connected for updates, I don't use any of the built-in apps.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:43 AM   #11

Oct 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydMike15 View Post
Yes, it is connected to wifi. I only have it connected for updates, I don't use any of the built-in apps.
There are reports that by disconnecting the unit from wifi freezing issues would stop to occur. Could you try that?
Thanks given by:
bhampton (07-01-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 02:01 PM   #12

Oct 2020
Canada

Quote:
There are reports that by disconnecting the unit from wifi freezing issues would stop to occur. Could you try that?
Yes I will give that a shot, thanks for the tip! I'll report back if I notice an improvement.
Thanks given by:
IlCorvo (06-30-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 04:19 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

I've been using one for almost a year, like 99% of discs have played whithout a hitch. I did have it freeze up in just one instance while watching bonus features after a movie - no idea if it was the disc's fault (menu software causing the lock up), but the player itself did need a hard reset that one time. I have seen a couple of discs skip (and I mean only that 1% of discs, like a handful times total). But this would also happen with blu-rays occasionally, so I'm not sure it's related to the 100GB discs. Admittedly I haven't really paid attention if it's even related to a layer change, because it's such an infrequent thing to me.

I certainly haven't had any consistent problems or noticed any sort of pattern. I've even had days where I've done a back to back (double feature) or 3 films in a day without any issue - even with it running 5-6 hours straight. So far, it's been a solid player for me.

Obviously I'd like to see Sony do another revision and get that Dolby Vision auto-detect, instead of having to manually select. While it's a relatively minor thing, it's kind of amazing to me they've left it like that.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:43 AM   #14
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

Quote:
unplugging it from the wall and never plugging it back in solves the issue.

[Show spoiler]Sony is selling these defective players and won't stop until people stop buying them.

Last edited by bhampton; 07-01-2022 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:55 AM   #15
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochon View Post
Do you think that if the freezing problems were so rampant like some here would have you believe, the machines would keep being sold after so many years they've been in production. If that was the case, most retailers selling them would be so tired of dealing with customers complains that they would stop offering it.
All players have problems and when you are dealing with a machine that sold so many units, over so many years, you will hear more about them.
but people think if they do x or y that the problem is solved.

It's a case of bad customers.
I think the X700 and X800 have done significant damage to the UHD BD format.
If yours never locks up I’m happy for you but if it’s not working return it or throw it out.

Last edited by bhampton; 07-01-2022 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:02 AM   #16

Jan 2016
Midwest USA

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...ticles/S1Q0530

Apparently, if the problem is serious enough, Sony will extend the warranty.

I bought several CFD-S70s (for the stereo cassette playback, not the CD playback, I'll use software Dolby B NR after digitizing my prerecorded cassettes).

On most of my CFD-S70s, the CD player has stopped working (I found out about the
extended warranty too late though).

Kirk Bayne
Old 07-03-2022, 08:49 AM   #17
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

I'm betting most people see this problem in the first month when it's still possible to return the thing to where you bought it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders