Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Spider-Man: No Way Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$35.95
20 hrs ago
Sharknado: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
The Halloween 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$104.99

The Lost Boys 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

The Green Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.23
22 hrs ago
Interspecies Reviewers (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Edge of Tomorrow 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.79
1 day ago
Green Lantern: Beware My Power 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Lost Highway 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

DC League of Super-Pets 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.99

Outlander: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Return of the Living Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-08-2006, 11:15 PM   #1

Feb 2006
Default Will Blu-ray and HD-DVD movies be playable on a PC like DVD's?

Will Blue-Ray and HD-DVD movies be playable on a PC like DVD's?
Old 02-09-2006, 01:05 PM   #2

Jan 2006

Yes, however not till at least december of this year as to do so you need to have Microsoft Vista operating system which doesn't come out till then (XP and lower doesn't support DRM) and you will also need to buy a new monitor because with the DRM on Vista if your monitor isn't DRM compatable (almost no monitors are) it will down convert the picture to low res.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:14 PM   #3

Jul 2004
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiltz
you need to have Microsoft Vista operating system which doesn't come out till then (XP and lower doesn't support DRM) and you will also need to buy a new monitor because with the DRM on Vista if your monitor isn't DRM compatable (almost no monitors are) it will down convert the picture to low res.
u think? Then 99,9% of all monitors around the world will be non 100% BD compatible ^^
Old 02-09-2006, 08:21 PM   #4

Sep 2005
Exclamation Sounds like par for the course to me...

Quote:
Yes, however not till at least december of this year as to do so you need to have Microsoft Vista operating system which doesn't come out till then (XP and lower doesn't support DRM) and you will also need to buy a new monitor because with the DRM on Vista if your monitor isn't DRM compatable (almost no monitors are) it will down convert the picture to low res.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhawk
u think? Then 99,9% of all monitors around the world will be non 100% BD compatible ^^
Why wouldn't they? If they are going to force home multimedia systems to use this equipment (HDMI with HDCP) or else view everything in a lower resolution (540p by all the accounts I've read), then why would they not force the same thing on computer based systems to? If they don't the easy way around it is to not use a stand alone BD player but use a player in a computer hooked up to your TV (monitor)?

Seems to me that with the insane attempts at "closing all possible loopholes" the won't let this one slip by.

Personally, I believe not grandfathering in all these older systems will kill a huge fraction of their market for many years.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:59 PM   #5

Jan 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowself
Personally, I believe not grandfathering in all these older systems will kill a huge fraction of their market for many years.
It definatly will, I know I have absolutly no intents at all at going Blu-ray for my computer because of that, no intents of upgrading to Vista for that matter for the same reason, i'll just stick with XP and DVD's.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #6

Jul 2004
Belgium

Quote:
It definatly will, I know I have absolutly no intents at all at going Blu-ray for my computer because of that, no intents of upgrading to Vista for that matter for the same reason, i'll just stick with XP and DVD's.
No, for people like us, who are interested and know what HD means for example, they will hold back. The majority will just ignore.. *-*
Old 02-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #7

Jan 2006

Well for the first few years the vast majority of people who would even buy either of the new HD formats are the people who know what it means, it will be a while before your average consumer starts buying them, so most of the people who would be in the market for them for the first few years are going to know about these pretty large issues.

Heck the people who aren't up on new technology wouldn't even be able to use a stand alone Blu-ray player anyways as in reality it is still the minorty of people who have home networks with internet to even hook up the player to for it to even work at all because of the stupid DRM BS they are pushing on the consumers.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:21 AM   #8

Jul 2004
Belgium

Mmyeah.. They better start with campains and other advertising, to get the people ready if they want it to take of from the beginning...
Old 02-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #9

Nov 2004
France
Send a message via ICQ to Gorkab Send a message via MSN to Gorkab Send a message via Skype™ to Gorkab
Smile

Just wait for some hacked protection and you will not have to buy another new monitor
Old 02-11-2006, 07:39 PM   #10

Jul 2004
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkab
Just wait for some hacked protection and you will not have to buy another new monitor
Till other software on your computer busts you I've heard Windows Vista will report 'reversed' software... Then we'll all have to view BDs using Linux That doesn't sound good...
Old 02-12-2006, 03:34 PM   #11

Jul 2004
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2blu
Another reason why this is my last computer with a Windows program. So glad Apple is supporting BD. My next purchase will definitely be a PowerBook with a BD drive.
Mmm... I don't know n2blu. What are your other reasons? .. The software support for Mac is pretty poor...
Old 02-12-2006, 04:43 PM   #12

Nov 2004
France
Send a message via ICQ to Gorkab Send a message via MSN to Gorkab Send a message via Skype™ to Gorkab
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhawk
Mmm... I don't know n2blu. What are your other reasons? .. The software support for Mac is pretty poor...
The new Mac Intel is going to be the best Mac for PC Users ! A new era is opening to us !
Old 02-13-2006, 03:44 PM   #13

Jul 2004
Belgium

It has leaked what we feared... HDCP will limit everyone to view true HD content.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=1300
Old 02-17-2006, 12:39 PM   #14

Feb 2006
Crete, Greece

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum so mabe this question is allready answered...If i have a HTPC with DVI output, can i watch both BD-HDVD on my projector by just buying two seperate ROMs? I own a Panasonic 900 1280x720 with HDMI input. Will the resolution reduse to 960x540? I hear that a new lock system is taking place for both formats. Thank you.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #15

Jul 2004
Belgium

Heh... Well HDCP will limit you to 1/4 of the full 1080p...
Old 02-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Jan 2005
Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOYKOYRAKIS L.
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum so mabe this question is allready answered...If i have a HTPC with DVI output, can i watch both BD-HDVD on my projector by just buying two seperate ROMs? I own a Panasonic 900 1280x720 with HDMI input. Will the resolution reduse to 960x540? I hear that a new lock system is taking place for both formats. Thank you.
Yes you will get the full resoultion the player can produce (then reduced to 720p as that is all the projector can display) - however the outputs on the players will be HDMI not DVI (your projector will have a HDMI input) I think you also meant HDCP with DVI (that will also work) with your projector (I have the previous model 700).
Old 02-17-2006, 07:56 PM   #17

Feb 2006
Crete, Greece

Thanks! Lets hope nothing else changes the last minute...
Old 02-17-2006, 08:47 PM   #18

Jul 2004
Belgium

but that would mean Blue, in order to let it work properly.. for his projector to be HDCP compatible... *-* And none nowadays are.

Damn, AACS really screwed it for us... Especially for those who already bought a HDTV.

Last edited by thunderhawk; 02-17-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #19

Jan 2006

And also your video card also needs to be HDCP compiant, none actualy are (both Nvidia and ATI chips are, but the actual video cards they are put in are not :/), and you're computer operating system also needs to be HDCP compliant, no current O/S's are or will be so you will need to upgrade to Vista when it comes out, so what will have with current hardware but with a Blu-ray drive is it will take the 1080i/p signal frm the disk, downconvert it to 540p then stretch it up to whatever res you are outputing.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America