Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Treasure of the Four Crowns 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Flesh for Frankenstein 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$37.73

Godzilla vs. Kong 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.00
1 day ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Dune 3D (Blu-ray)
$25.30

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.33

Tangled 3D (Blu-ray)
$41.38

The Maze 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.33

Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Wings of the Hawk 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.27

Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 01-28-2022, 02:55 PM   #3981

Oct 2018

No I didn't read the 2nd half of that post. It's ok if you want to go with it's not likely the brightness was a big factor for LG removing 3D that's fine with me.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:51 PM   #3982
Special Member

Jul 2009

It was never going to be practical to produce EVERYTHING in 3D, and not all material calls for it. 3D movies have been special so far because not every movie uses it- but the ability to show them properly should always be there, regardless of how many are made.
Thanks given by:
Jlardonio (01-29-2022), Paul H (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 02:40 AM   #3983
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011

still waiting on actual HFR footage from the hobbit to show up online, not this interpolated shite
Thanks given by:
8traxrule (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 03:40 AM   #3984
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchg View Post
still waiting on actual HFR footage from the hobbit to show up online, not this interpolated shite
You can watch Hell freeze over before that happens.
Thanks given by:
BLMN (01-29-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 01:30 PM   #3985
Special Member

Oct 2010

Interestingly, I missed the whole 3D era since if I was going to get into 3D it would be in my dedicate HT with the projection system. However, in 2010 I had just upgraded my projector to a Sony VPLHW10, which I believe was the last within that line to not have 3D capabilities. This past year (2021) I upgraded to the Sony VPLHW45es, so for the first time I can watch in 3D. I quickly picked up some 30-40 titles to enjoy. I realize I entered the game late but hopefully a few titles will still trickle out from time to time and projectors maintain the capability going forward.
Thanks given by:
Jlardonio (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 04:42 PM   #3986
Special Member

Jul 2009

Didn't know current Sony projectors had 3D. Boycotting that company for a number of reasons, but good to know they haven't COMPLETELY given up on "3D World".
Thanks given by:
Jlardonio (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 07:18 PM   #3987
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
Didn't know current Sony projectors had 3D. Boycotting that company for a number of reasons, but good to know they haven't COMPLETELY given up on "3D World".
Not just Sony, I think in general 3D is still very common within projectors.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:21 PM   #3988

Apr 2012

Most projectors are "active 3D", so you need compatible LCD shutter glasses. The Sony VPLHW45es uses active glasses (TDG-BT500A).

There's some passive 3D solutions for projectors, but for home use that entails using two different projectors, one for each eye, or an add-on to the projector.

I found one from DepthQ, but the only pricing I can find is $5000 for a bundle including the projector:
https://www.depthq.com/dqbundle.html

I also found a relatively cheap option from a company called Yantok, but can only find it on Chinese tech sites, like this DHGate listing for $625:
https://www.dhgate.com/product/3d-po...415484772.html
Old 02-01-2022, 04:40 PM   #3989
Power Member

Jul 2021
Aveiro, Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Most projectors are "active 3D", so you need compatible LCD shutter glasses. The Sony VPLHW45es uses active glasses (TDG-BT500A).

There's some passive 3D solutions for projectors, but for home use that entails using two different projectors, one for each eye, or an add-on to the projector.

I found one from DepthQ, but the only pricing I can find is $5000 for a bundle including the projector:
https://www.depthq.com/dqbundle.html

I also found a relatively cheap option from a company called Yantok, but can only find it on Chinese tech sites, like this DHGate listing for $625:
https://www.dhgate.com/product/3d-po...415484772.html
Over a month ago i posted this: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=141 in the 3D projectors section, page 8.

DepthQ also sells modulators and VR equipment, but i guess that your comment isn't for this thread as it is for 3D bluray players and TV sets.

Last edited by Jlardonio; 02-01-2022 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:11 AM   #3990
Power Member

Aug 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlardonio View Post
Over a month ago i posted this: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=141 in the 3D projectors section, page 8.

DepthQ also sells modulators and VR equipment, but i guess that your comment isn't for this thread as it is for 3D bluray players and TV sets.
For that cost you could get a decent home theater projector and a gazillion DLP-link active shutter glasses. With the additional benefit of being able to use whatever screen you want, as passive lenses require a silver screen.

For the Chinesium polarizer, does it require the projector to have a 3D Sync port? Sadly those are rarer than hen's teeth on newish projectors.

Still, 625 bucks for the polarizer could buy at least ~25 pairs of DLP-link active shutter glasses.

Edit: I tried searching that Chinesium site and there are some disturbing but hilarious items for sale on it. NSFW

Last edited by Just_Discovered_3D; 02-02-2022 at 02:15 AM.
Old 02-02-2022, 05:06 PM   #3991
Power Member

Jul 2021
Aveiro, Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Discovered_3D View Post
For that cost you could get a decent home theater projector and a gazillion DLP-link active shutter glasses. With the additional benefit of being able to use whatever screen you want, as passive lenses require a silver screen.

For the Chinesium polarizer, does it require the projector to have a 3D Sync port? Sadly those are rarer than hen's teeth on newish projectors.

Still, 625 bucks for the polarizer could buy at least ~25 pairs of DLP-link active shutter glasses.

Edit: I tried searching that Chinesium site and there are some disturbing but hilarious items for sale on it. NSFW
I don't care for projectors/TVs with recharchable glasses.

The DepthQ bundle may be expensive but i believe they sell for business companies and some private costumers.

A good enough projector with a 3D modulator for someone who likes to watch movies with other people may be the best solution since you only need to put the glasses and your watching 3D, no need to worry with batteries jumping from its place or needing to recharge the built-in batteries in the middle of a movie or even need to push a button to sync them with the transmitter. And passive 3D glasses are cheaper, come in several sizes, some can be put over reading glasses or even clip-on.

I just wanted that LG got smarter in business and release some passive 3D TVs so that people that need to replace theirs that got broken or are malfunctioning or even get spares to keep watching 3D movies in those equipments.

If, someday, my 3D cinema TV ever breaks, i'll have to evaluate if a projector is the best solution or repair it. Repair, for me, is the best in terms of low waste and not polluting. Unless it's not repairable i'll have to opt for a projector or a used LG 3D TV.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:58 AM   #3992
Power Member

Aug 2021

Quote:
I don't care for projectors/TVs with recharchable glasses.

The DepthQ bundle may be expensive but i believe they sell for business companies and some private costumers.

A good enough projector with a 3D modulator for someone who likes to watch movies with other people may be the best solution since you only need to put the glasses and your watching 3D, no need to worry with batteries jumping from its place or needing to recharge the built-in batteries in the middle of a movie or even need to push a button to sync them with the transmitter. And passive 3D glasses are cheaper, come in several sizes, some can be put over reading glasses or even clip-on.

I just wanted that LG got smarter in business and release some passive 3D TVs so that people that need to replace theirs that got broken or are malfunctioning or even get spares to keep watching 3D movies in those equipments.

If, someday, my 3D cinema TV ever breaks, i'll have to evaluate if a projector is the best solution or repair it. Repair, for me, is the best in terms of low waste and not polluting. Unless it's not repairable i'll have to opt for a projector or a used LG 3D TV.
Cheap Chinesium DLP glasses last for dozens to hundreds of hours. I've watched several entire films through mine without a recharge. The short battery life of active glasses was either a myth or has been resolved by better manufacturing.

Remember that a polarizer gives passive glasses the downsides of active glasses in terms of visuals, without really any of the benefits. When I skimmed the site for that polarizer it did seem like it requires a 3D Sync port, and that limits your choice.

The site also suggests that it uses circular polarization, which hurts visual quality vs linear polarization. The tradeoff is that you can get better viewing angles, but for a home theater that doesn't seem necessary IMO.

BTW why would you put clip on passive 3D glasses over reading glasses?
Old 02-03-2022, 06:18 AM   #3993
Power Member

Aug 2021

Although, with those caveats as mentioned, it would be pretty darn cool to have a home polarized projector. Remembering that, as its site says, you need a special screen for it.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #3994
Power Member

Jul 2021
Aveiro, Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Discovered_3D View Post
Cheap Chinesium DLP glasses last for dozens to hundreds of hours. I've watched several entire films through mine without a recharge. The short battery life of active glasses was either a myth or has been resolved by better manufacturing.

Remember that a polarizer gives passive glasses the downsides of active glasses in terms of visuals, without really any of the benefits. When I skimmed the site for that polarizer it did seem like it requires a 3D Sync port, and that limits your choice.

The site also suggests that it uses circular polarization, which hurts visual quality vs linear polarization. The tradeoff is that you can get better viewing angles, but for a home theater that doesn't seem necessary IMO.

BTW why would you put clip on passive 3D glasses over reading glasses?
Clip-on glasses are better for people who like to have just their prescription glasses on instead of having to puting the prescription ones and the 3D glasses over, that way when handling with the glasses they're already in fit position and just need to put and take off the reading ones without much of a fuss and also the clip-ons they lift(like the clip-on sunglasses) if anyone has the need to stop watching the 3D movie and do anything else or to read.
Old 02-04-2022, 02:10 AM   #3995
Power Member

Aug 2021

Quote:
Clip-on glasses are better for people who like to have just their prescription glasses on instead of having to puting the prescription ones and the 3D glasses over, that way when handling with the glasses they're already in fit position and just need to put and take off the reading ones without much of a fuss and also the clip-ons they lift(like the clip-on sunglasses) if anyone has the need to stop watching the 3D movie and do anything else or to read.
Unlike the RealD passive glasses at the theater, DLP glasses for my watch group seem to work pretty well over top of normal glasses.

It would be nice to have some clip-on DLP glasses for the gang, but all the ones that I can find are effectively sold out.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:30 PM   #3996

Mar 2013

Look, realistically 3D was dead the moment they failed to produce a 3D standard for 4K. We all knew this. Why didn't this happen? Who knows. Maybe someone here can answer.
Thanks given by:
hypermog (02-28-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 09:11 PM   #3997
Special Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Most people donít have 3D TVs anymore and we are not the masses obviously.
Chances are that a lot of people who bought 3d tv's still have them, why would they not still have them anymore? The same apathy that 3d had, is also there to some extent to 4k.
Of course, just because someone has a tv with 3d (or 4k for that matter) doesn't mean that they're using said functionality. There's still plenty of people who never went to BD and are still only watching dvds on HD sets.
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (03-03-2022), Jlardonio (02-28-2022), Sanfox (02-28-2022), Steedeel (02-28-2022), trialobite (02-28-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 07:23 PM   #3998
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
Chances are that a lot of people who bought 3d tv's still have them, why would they not still have them anymore? The same apathy that 3d had, is also there to some extent to 4k.
Of course, just because someone has a tv with 3d (or 4k for that matter) doesn't mean that they're using said functionality. There's still plenty of people who never went to BD and are still only watching dvds on HD sets.
Go to this video on youtube
and read the comments section it will give you a pretty good idea what people do with their 3D tvs since, just a warning tho some comments will piss off 3D fans.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:15 PM   #3999
Special Member

Jul 2009

Quote:
Look, realistically 3D was dead the moment they failed to produce a 3D standard for 4K.
More like my interest in 4K was dead the moment it was put out without a 3D standard. I'm sure 4K would be considered "dead" by now also if 4K material were as hard to obtain and priced as high as 3D content.
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (03-03-2022), Jlardonio (03-03-2022), RitwikKN2002 (03-04-2022), Sanfox (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 11:09 PM   #4000
Power Member

Jan 2008
Mid-west Florida USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
Go to this video on youtube The Tragedy Of 3D TV - YouTube and read the comments section it will give you a pretty good idea what people do with their 3D tvs since, just a warning tho some comments will piss off 3D fans.
Not the ones who ignore the nay-sayers.
Thanks given by:
Jlardonio (03-04-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Tags
3d t.v, 3d tv production halted, 4k3d, broadcast, external processor, ode, poping, resurrection