Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Untouchables 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.98
1 hr ago
True Romance 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
15 hrs ago
The Boys: Seasons 1 & 2 Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 hr ago
Batman 4-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Evil Dead Groovy Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.48
23 hrs ago
Evil Dead (Blu-ray)
$12.16
18 hrs ago
My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission (Blu-ray)
$19.96
11 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.87
6 hrs ago
Chernobyl 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.64
1 day ago
The Green Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.95

Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Legend (Blu-ray)
$19.81
2 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

Old 01-27-2022, 06:18 PM   #81

Nov 2016
Twin Peaks

Mass Effect Legendary Edition
Thanks given by:
Gamma_Winstead (01-29-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 12:28 PM   #82

Nov 2014

Got the PS3 Metal Gear Solid collection and played through the original MSX2 Metal Gear. Struck me as being very much like Castlevania 2 as far as being an interesting game somewhat sloppily handled but very fun despite its issues. The key cards are the biggest headache. You shouldn’t have to fumble around your menu looking for the right key card to each unmarked door, the highest level card should simply work for each preceding level door because obviously you already have everything else. It’s a nuisance.

Then the damn Jennifer business in building 2 is a genuine “How the hell was I supposed to know that?” moment. The game does nothing to indicate that you’d need to call anyone to open up what appears to be a regular keycard door…or call someone to magically transport a rocket launcher into a closed room. I had to look that stuff up because I had absolutely no reason to think that was necessary. There could have been a hostage that would give you that information - “Call Jennifer for help on the north east and south east sides of the 2nd floor of building 2.” But there’s nothing.

Playing the PS1 remake of the original Final Fantasy now. I’m impressed with how purist this version really is. I turned off every optional improvement like redirecting, dashing, etc. It does feel exactly like the NES original with a new coat of paint. The one difference you can’t revert to original intent, the inventory management, lets you keep more equipment that you find but the money you get from selling that stuff is totally negligible. That the bugged spells apparently work properly also seems negligible to me (didn’t need them in the original version, don’t need them now.) It’s an excellent version of the game. I wish Square and Tose got around to doing FFIII like that too.

Of course, not having to buy each of your 99 stock of potion (mandatory) one by one is a major improvement!
Old 01-28-2022, 08:23 PM   #83

Jan 2022

games Im currently busy with

Tales of Vesperia
Bravely Default II
Assassins Creed Brotherhood
Final Fantasy Type 0. just started playing it in the beginning a little bit a couple of months ago though
Star Wars Jedi Academy
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Old 01-29-2022, 05:16 AM   #84
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Currently working on:

-Horizon: Zero Dawn Complete edition
-Uncharted 4 Ps5
-Fortnite
-Sam and Max: Beyond Time and Space Remastered
Old 01-30-2022, 02:21 PM   #85

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibiyori View Post
That the bugged spells apparently work properly also seems negligible to me (didn’t need them in the original version, don’t need them now.)
Actually, I was wrong about this. They buffed the final boss for sure, I wasn’t doing anything like the damage I did in the original NES version. They definitely expect you to use everything at your disposal to finish him in this one. Had the bad fortune to lose one of my physical damage guys but we still pulled it out. A nice unexpected change to find a tougher Chaos waiting for me.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:44 PM   #86

Aug 2017
Gorleston-on-Sea, UK

Replaying Deus Ex on the PC with the GMX Mod. I bought some older games last year that I never got round to playing originally, inc. Deux Ex: Invisible War which was poor, so i started replaying the original just to wash the IW taste out of my mouth. Next up will be either COD4 or Max Payne 3
Old 02-02-2022, 05:31 PM   #87
Special Member

May 2021

Marvel's Avengers
Old 02-02-2022, 08:34 PM   #88
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2020

Played the RE2 and 3 remakes again over the last week or two and am now playing RE4 again, with the long developed HD textures (released yesterday).

Eight years the fans spent on this. The original textures are horribly compressed, and the HD ones included with the remaster are less faithful and don't cover everything.

I played until the castle before calling it quits for the night. Decided not to buy any maps this time. If I can't remember where ALL the treasures are, so be it.

I noticed late into the village that the game's default brightness is much too high. I also forgot that some of the cutscenes are out of sync when playing at 60 frames.

This is the first time I'm playing it that I know what happened before. First played through RE1 in 2016, RE2 in 2019 and RE3 in 2020. But RE4 in like 2005.
Thanks given by:
Doc Samson (02-02-2022), Sal Undy (03-18-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 07:58 PM   #89

Nov 2014

Played through Final Fantasy VIII again for the first time in 16 years. I still like the game but it is by far the most unbalanced entry in the series and the weakest of the PlayStation/PlayStation 2 games. Everything favors you to an extreme degree. The junction system is far too easy too break. Just playing the card game for a few hours at the very beginning (which is fun, so it’s not even a grind) will get you some ridiculous magic and put you in the position of not having to battle random encounters much to get anything you need. That’s pretty cool that you can not fight in an RPG…but the game is shockingly easy, easier than JRPGs already tend to be. The limit breaks are also much too easy to exploit because of what you can do with proper junctioning. To fix all this, they should have made the limit break ratio under desperation status much rarer and only triggered after that character has performed an action and refilled their ATB bar, not by switching between members, and magic perhaps should have been limited to a pool of 100 for the entire party, forcing you to make harder decisions about how that magic will benefit a single character or the entire team. The card game certainly should have offered rewards better suited to how the game progresses. A lot of highly interesting concepts here not implemented all that well once put together.

It sure was nice though to hardly use GFs at all during this playthrough. I actually didn’t even summon a number of the late ones like Bahamut and Eden. That said…the fights often simply reduce to regular attacks, especially Squall’s, with only the occasional bit of magic…which you can often draw straight from the boss you’re fighting!

Another issue - my god, the twist in the middle of the game really is painfully stupid. This was a hackneyed way to instantly develop Squall’s relationship with his friends without having to do any real character development. But it is still overall a fun, constantly nonsensical experience.

(Oh, yes, I did get Lionheart early. Not “end of disc 1” early - I wasn’t aware of just how many Elnoyle cards I actually had - but I did get it as soon as we had control of Garden on disc 2.)
Old 02-14-2022, 03:37 AM   #90

Feb 2022
Portland Oregon

Final Fantasy VII
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Chrono trigger
Chrono Cross

Decided to remember the old days took out the shelf favorite PS1 and PS2 and decided to the good old days when I first bought these games. To say that this is the kind of nostalgia that has been missing for so long is to say nothing.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:06 PM   #91

May 2009

Cyberpunk 2077

Wow. Didn't think the throwing knifes revamp would be this much fun!
Thanks given by:
emailking (03-03-2022), Sal Undy (03-18-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 11:07 PM   #92

Nov 2014

Wrapping up the Monster Arena in the original PS2 version of Final Fantasy X and about to start the original PS2 version of Final Fantasy XII…also all on a CRT, which I got a hankerin’ to pull out recently to have a look at for old time’s sake. It has been a good 10 plus years since I’ve seen any of this stuff on a CRT. Before, I would certainly be in agreement that pre-HD games look better on CRTs, but having revisited it after so long, I’m absolutely all in on CRTs.

Even just composite looks exceptionally good, especially PS2 games (I think that whole mid-90s to mid-00s era benefits the most.)

Turns out the CRT I’ve been hanging onto is considered pretty desirable among retro gamers - it’s a Panasonic Tau.
Old 03-01-2022, 05:14 PM   #93
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2019
Canada

The MachineGames Wolfenstein series. Or at least New Order and New Colossus. I've beaten NO a few times and I wanted to do it again. Such great game.
Finally got to it's sequel NC, and I'm finding myself struggling with it. Tonally at least. The gameplay is more of the same but with some odd additions that don't change the game, a story that can't hold a candle to it's first one, and UI that just feels off. Don't know why they decided to change the interface. Also confused why they took away chapter select.

Playing this has gotten me into wanting to play more FPS games like the Metro games or the glorious DOOM games that came out in the last decade.
But I also think after NC I'm going to be tired of FPS. Randomly saw the Death Stranding director's cut trailer and thought that's the next game I wanna take a stab at.
Thanks given by:
emailking (03-03-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 05:40 PM   #94
Power Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipsterTrash View Post
The MachineGames Wolfenstein series. Or at least New Order and New Colossus. I've beaten NO a few times and I wanted to do it again. Such great game.
Finally got to it's sequel NC, and I'm finding myself struggling with it. Tonally at least. The gameplay is more of the same but with some odd additions that don't change the game, a story that can't hold a candle to it's first one, and UI that just feels off. Don't know why they decided to change the interface. Also confused why they took away chapter select.
I highly recommend the prequel Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. It plays just like The New Order and is far superior to The New Colossus.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:11 PM   #95
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2019
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
I highly recommend the prequel Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. It plays just like The New Order and is far superior to The New Colossus.
Played Old Blood once. Not too bad. Should play it again too.
Old 03-03-2022, 11:39 PM   #96
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015

I didn't like Death Stranding's gameplay. The story is really good but I hated the gameplay, basically a delivery simulator. However, some people really liked that aspect, I guess it's one of those things you have to try. Highly recommend the Metro games if you haven't played those yet.
Old 03-04-2022, 04:46 PM   #97
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2019
Canada

Finished Wolfenstein II. Not too bad. Went too far in some places but it's not bad.

Decided to purchase the Metro games and send support to 4A Games. Shame on me for forgetting how tremendous these games can be.
Thanks given by:
emailking (03-10-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 06:31 PM   #98

Nov 2016
Twin Peaks

Horizon Forbidden West
Thanks given by:
Gamma_Winstead (03-07-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 07:21 AM   #99

Nov 2014

Started playing the PS2 version of Final Fantasy XII aaaaannndd…my fat PS2’s laser is getting to the point of no return. Struggles to load new distinct sections of the game, like going to Bhujerba. Gotta get the laser replaced or get another one and I really want to - I slipped out of the hobby in 2001 so missed the vast majority of that generation and I’d like to explore it with my good ol’ beautiful CRT.

So I started Final Fantasy XIII for PS3. Liking XII as much as I did - one of my top 5 for sure - I went into this with a great attitude. Well…I don’t know what’s going on a good deal of the time. By that, I mean in battle. I seemed to be doing just fine at first, getting mostly five star ratings with a few fours. Now I’m in chapter 4, with Sazh, Vanille, and Hope, and I’m hitting a big wall of confusion. There are these robot guys. I’m debuffing them, I’m using Libra as suggested, I’m switching Paradigms, but I’m not staggering these guys like I should be. Sometimes it seems to go right, other times it does not. What the hell?

As it stands, this feels like a progression of X-2’s battle system, only they’ve decided to rip control of your characters out of your hands, only giving you a general idea of what will be done with each role, and a supposed way to improve their tactics (Libra,) but you can’t dictate exactly what you’d like your characters to do.

Just let me do what I want to do! They’ve just put a barrier between me and the game. I’m fighting the game, not fighting the enemies.

Also, the menuing in this is completely unresponsive. I’m finding myself mashing X to ensure my inputs are going through and sometimes I still find myself sitting there not realizing I’m still on the target selection list.

At least everyone gets CP regardless in this game.

Why, why, why can’t anyone tell Tetsuya Nomura no? Good lord, that Gadot guy! Such terrible character design!

I don’t mind the linearity much. Really, people overestimate the other games in this regard. Final Fantasy games are rarely non-linear and they’re mostly just as linear as this. If the older games had a mini map, this would become quite obvious. Even when you can go all over in, say, an airship in the older games, you’re not actually advancing anything, you still have a line you’re following. Not an issue.

Hope it gets better for me but not feeling great about it so far.
Old 03-09-2022, 05:30 AM   #100

Nov 2016
Twin Peaks

Just taking a day or two break from HFW to play Hitman 2.
Thanks given by:
Gamma_Winstead (03-09-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion