Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Northman 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Last Duel 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
The King's Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Black Widow 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Green Lantern: Beware My Power 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.95

Luca 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
14 hrs ago
Event Horizon 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96
1 day ago
Species 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Nightmare Alley 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Giant 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Lawrence of Arabia 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.16

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 01-28-2022, 09:26 AM   #10041
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Same RPM too? The physical layers themselves are also different. But he’s said he’s got no problems reading BD50s, so bang goes that theory anyway.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:53 AM   #10042

Aug 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
I've been experiencing the exact same thing as you: 1080p discs will always play just fine, while a lot of 4K discs will not load (have to keep trying until it eventually does play).

I did some testing last week and I noticed something (on my player at least): it's double layer 4K discs that will not play, triple layer discs seem to work (now). I repeatedly tried playing The New York Ripper, Salt and Independence Day, and they all failed each and every time (lots of noises coming from the drive, you just know it will not play). Then I did the same thing with Bladerunner 2049, Dune (2021), Black Hawk Down and Zombie, and every title immediately played each and every time I tried (insert disc, begins playing the movie, stop, eject and insert again, rinse, repeat).

Not sure if this has always been the case though (BD66 not working vs BD100 working), or if this just happen to have evolved recently...
This sounds identical to me, although I watched Independence Day a few days ago and it only took 3 attempts

Last night I tried to watch Ghostbusters II, but after 30mins or so had to give up. Only took 10mins to get the Many Saints of Newark working tho, lol.
I just tried Bladerunner 2049 and it worked first time...twice!

I can categorically assure you this only started happening a few months ago, every disc worked fine before then without a sniff of a problem!
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 12:38 PM   #10043

Oct 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreasyBear View Post
You know you can have two devices hooked up at the same time, right?
Sure, guessing most people know that. That wasnít the OPís point - they wondered if there was a way to have those subtitle features while playing a UHD on the Panasonic.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:49 AM   #10044

Nov 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansolo View Post
Yes, it is. UHD BD title is playing in my photo.
Conditions are (I assume):
1. you need to have firmware supporting this feature
2. USB drive must be connected, have "sub" folder in root directory and inside it subtitle file named "sub.srt".
3. Disc needs to be loaded and playback on (this part I assume, haven't tested. Is it even possible to enter Subtitles menu if disc is not playing?)

Regarding 1. What firmware are you using?
Also tried again on fat32, same thing. Firmware: 1.69.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:32 AM   #10045
Power Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaman View Post
This sounds identical to me, although I watched Independence Day a few days ago and it only took 3 attempts

Last night I tried to watch Ghostbusters II, but after 30mins or so had to give up. Only took 10mins to get the Many Saints of Newark working tho, lol.
I just tried Bladerunner 2049 and it worked first time...twice!

I can categorically assure you this only started happening a few months ago, every disc worked fine before then without a sniff of a problem!
Is your player above an AVR or amplifier. I donít recommend placing disc readers directly above high heat generating devices. Laser pickup can age prematurely in high heat environment.

Try cleaning the assembly too.
Thanks given by:
sofaman (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 07:44 AM   #10046

Aug 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tok View Post
Is your player above an AVR or amplifier. I donít recommend placing disc readers directly above high heat generating devices. Laser pickup can age prematurely in high heat environment.

Try cleaning the assembly too.
Hi Tok. No mate, the player is sat alone with plenty of ventilation, as is my AV amp. I'm expecting some compressed air to arrive today so I'll try that first. Is Isopropyl ok to use on the lens, should I need to?
Old 01-30-2022, 12:22 PM   #10047
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Ontario, Canada

Interesting how a few of us are having this no read/ trouble loading UHD issue, my 820 is in the shop to see what might be the issue. My model was manufactured in 2018, and has the latest firmware (1.69). Part of me is leaning towards the firmware being a suspect, maybe in some setups it causes issues? My first run-in was with the Ebola Syndrome UHD from VS, then it was fine, and then my Skyfall UHD threw the whole works into chaos.

One thing I did not try before sending it to the shop for repairs, was to disable Dolby Vision support and see if it was trying to load DV on non DV discs.
Thanks given by:
sofaman (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 04:22 AM   #10048

Dec 2010

I had a problem with some foreign font files, and at least in my case, it turned out I just needed to convert them to UTF-8, there's a free online converter that works well.. https://subtitletools.com/convert-te...to-utf8-online

Quote:
Originally Posted by medikoo View Post
I have RF firmware and external subs worked. Still note that given option is displayed in a menu only if USB stick with properly named subtitles files is injected.

Nonetheless I found this feature useless as font that's used for subs doesn't support many characters, e.g. in Polish we have some diactric letters, and out of ca7 only 2 are displayed well, rest are presented as squares.
Maybe for German specific chars there's better support.

AFAIK this feature was made specifically for Chinese market, so main focus is on Chinese chars there
Old 01-31-2022, 08:34 AM   #10049

Mar 2012
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animatic33 View Post
Interesting how a few of us are having this no read/ trouble loading UHD issue, my 820 is in the shop to see what might be the issue. My model was manufactured in 2018, and has the latest firmware (1.69).
How do you know when it was manufactured? My European 820EGK was assembled in the Czech Republic, that is all I can see from the back panel info. Bought in April 2018. No issues with loading UHDs, fw 1.69.
Old 01-31-2022, 10:15 AM   #10050

Aug 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animatic33 View Post
Interesting how a few of us are having this no read/ trouble loading UHD issue, my 820 is in the shop to see what might be the issue. My model was manufactured in 2018, and has the latest firmware (1.69). Part of me is leaning towards the firmware being a suspect, maybe in some setups it causes issues? My first run-in was with the Ebola Syndrome UHD from VS, then it was fine, and then my Skyfall UHD threw the whole works into chaos.

One thing I did not try before sending it to the shop for repairs, was to disable Dolby Vision support and see if it was trying to load DV on non DV discs.
I was kinda hoping it was a firmware thing, but so few people seem to be affected by it.
Strange that yours all went wrong with Skyfall .... mine started with GoT which has known read issues apparently. Surely just playing a disc couldn't cause such long term malfunction?
I'll give that DV thing a go a little later ...
Old 01-31-2022, 04:37 PM   #10051
Expert Member

Jan 2011

Hey everyone, I'm really leaning towards getting the UB820 based on all of the overwhelming positive reviews and word of mouth. However, I have read that this player (like all, from what I hear) has some hiccups and ticks. That said, would it be fine to stick with the manufacturers 1 year warranty or for those that currently have it, should I opt to purchase the extended warranty that will cover 2 years? It's an extra $80 so if owners think that I'll be fine with the 1 year, I'll put that $80 towards a receiver. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2022, 04:51 PM   #10052
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinoa88 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm really leaning towards getting the UB820 based on all of the overwhelming positive reviews and word of mouth. However, I have read that this player (like all, from what I hear) has some hiccups and ticks. That said, would it be fine to stick with the manufacturers 1 year warranty or for those that currently have it, should I opt to purchase the extended warranty that will cover 2 years? It's an extra $80 so if owners think that I'll be fine with the 1 year, I'll put that $80 towards a receiver. Thanks!
Personally I think if something is truly going to go wrong, it will happen within the first year.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:47 AM   #10053

Jun 2009
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandy007 View Post
Also tried again on fat32, same thing. Firmware: 1.69.
And is it official directly from Panasonic site/servers or modified "feature enhanced" version? Latter is needed for external subs I think at least with 820. Also, advanced features need to be enabled by remote control button sequence. After that they are "on" for good until you choose to turn them off. Support for external srt subtitles are part of enhanced features.

Last edited by hansolo; 02-01-2022 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-01-2022, 05:15 PM   #10054

Mar 2012
Sweden

I don't know if this "trick" with forced subtitles has been mentioned in this thread but here it is:
Quote:
Quote:
Warning: [Eagle's] Escape from New York has forced Italian subtitles for english writing and i am unable to turn them off with the player remote like the others i have as it's been prohibited by the disc.
If you have one the Panasonic players, like the DP-UB820, you can move the subtitles below/outside of the visible picture, set Subtitle Position to -30 and you are good to go!
(haven't checked the whole movie but -30 took care of the two-liners in the beginning)
Old 02-01-2022, 07:32 PM   #10055

Sep 2015
Sweden

I have been playing around with my tv settings a lot recently to try and fix the flickering issues I have been experiencing. Nothing seems to work. My 4K movies play perfectly but most of my blurays have some hints of flickering. Itís really frustrating. Tried to watch the UK Blu-ray of Once upon a time in the west tonight but turned it off cause I was so annoyed by the flickering. Maybe Iím at that point where I actively look for it but Iím starting to think it has to be the player. So weird though.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:40 PM   #10056
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggins1 View Post
I have been playing around with my tv settings a lot recently to try and fix the flickering issues I have been experiencing. Nothing seems to work. My 4K movies play perfectly but most of my blurays have some hints of flickering. Itís really frustrating. Tried to watch the UK Blu-ray of Once upon a time in the west tonight but turned it off cause I was so annoyed by the flickering. Maybe Iím at that point where I actively look for it but Iím starting to think it has to be the player. So weird though.
Can you refresh our memories and remind us what TV you have?

Is this flickering on ALL blu-rays you watch? And only in low light scenes?
Old 02-01-2022, 11:46 PM   #10057
Power Member

Feb 2020
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapiendut View Post
DVD playback sucks on these Panasonics.
As I mentioned earlier, I have played DVDs on this machine and they look fine to me. I always set the player to output 480p when playing DVDs.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:53 PM   #10058
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
In a van down by the river

DVDs? What are those?
Old 02-02-2022, 06:10 AM   #10059

Sep 2015
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Can you refresh our memories and remind us what TV you have?

Is this flickering on ALL blu-rays you watch? And only in low light scenes?
I have an LG OLED CX. Itís mostly noticeable in dark scenes but on the Once upon a time in the West BD it was apparent even in lighter scenes.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:24 AM   #10060
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
DVDs? What are those?
An absolute necessity for anime fans such as myself. Then there's also countless music related releases that will never see the light of day on on a format beyond DVD. Oh, and I have the Japanese DVD of this movie called Kill Bill Volume 1.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (02-02-2022), Pagey123 (02-02-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 4K Ultra HD > 4K Ultra HD Players, Hardware and News

Tags
panasonic, ub820, ub9000, value electronics