Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Northman 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Species 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
2 hrs ago
The Last Duel 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The King's Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Amazing Spider-Man Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
3 hrs ago
Black Widow 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Luca 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
23 hrs ago
Event Horizon 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Nightmare Alley 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Green Lantern: Beware My Power 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.95

Lawrence of Arabia 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.16

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 4K Ultra HD > 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 01-26-2022, 11:34 PM   #6921
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmfan73 View Post
The HDR on the first film is a humdinger. Honestly when I saw Marty roll up on his skateboard to meet Doc...there were tears of joy. The colors, and black levels on my Sony ZD9 reminded me why I'm supposed to love 4K discs.

This is a F^%#$G phenomenal reference disc in my opinion, and shows what HDR (ahem, 4K) can really do to wow someone. The colors just jump off the screen and through your brain.
After comparing it to the Dcp on screenshot comparison seeing the amount of grain thatís still removed compared to Dcp. uhd losing that much detail makes me sad because I see how Sony handled the karate kid trilogy makes me wish this set got that level of detail and care. the only positives on this set is the colors highlights and the fact the back to the future 3 seems like itís perfect.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:50 PM   #6922
Expert Member

Mar 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman2000 View Post
After comparing it to the Dcp on screenshot comparison seeing the amount of grain that’s still removed compared to Dcp. uhd losing that much detail makes me sad because I see how Sony handled the karate kid trilogy makes me wish this set got that level of detail and care. the only positives on this set is the colors highlights and the fact the back to the future 3 seems like it’s perfect.
There comes a time when you just have to accept BTTF will never look perfect on home video. Ever! It is just too much of an "average consumer" movie, and that crowd could never abide film grain on their tv screen.

For the rest of us, take comfort that it looks better than it ever has, and the HDR, and robust color spectrum are the main reasons the disc is so worth it.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:05 PM   #6923
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2006

Quote:
There comes a time when you just have to accept BTTF will never look perfect on home video. Ever! It is just too much of an "average consumer" movie, and that crowd could never abide film grain on their tv screen.

For the rest of us, take comfort that it looks better than it ever has, and the HDR, and robust color spectrum are the main reasons the disc is so worth it.
I would also not be upset as much if they didn’t have the third film look right I’d probably cut the set more slack. I’d still be upset but just a little less because it would be consistent.

Last edited by batman2000; 01-27-2022 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:48 PM   #6924
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:

Pretty much this. It's one of those franchises that's never going to escape The Treatment, though it's as much on Bob Gale as it is on Universal thinking that that's what people want.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:21 PM   #6925
Expert Member

Dec 2019

so wouldn't it be possible to release 2 versions ?

grain and no grain and see which one sells better
Old 01-27-2022, 06:41 PM   #6926
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008
Boston, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike962 View Post
so wouldn't it be possible to release 2 versions ?

grain and no grain and see which one sells better
I have friends who don't know the difference between DVD and BD, so I think that would be a lost cause.
Thanks given by:
aviosis (02-01-2022), BillieCassin (01-28-2022), blueman_Richie (01-27-2022), emailking (01-27-2022), En Ex (02-01-2022), Filmfan73 (02-01-2022), Geoff D (01-28-2022), Indiana Jones (01-28-2022), Sohan24 (02-06-2022), yanksno1 (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 06:50 PM   #6927
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookcase View Post
I have friends who don't know the difference between DVD and BD, so I think that would be a lost cause.
When your right your right sadly.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:06 PM   #6928

Jun 2011

Never did understand the love for the new transfer of Part 1 upon initial release last year...there's still a lot of obvious DNR. Better than the BD, yes, but still not great.
Thanks given by:
batman2000 (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 07:13 PM   #6929
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond84 View Post
Never did understand the love for the new transfer of Part 1 upon initial release last year...there's still a lot of obvious DNR. Better than the BD, yes, but still not great.
Iím mystified how the first two are done wrong yet the third movie they correct from the original blu ray of the third movie this is so confusing.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:38 PM   #6930
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
It's a better UHD in terms of that format than the BD was in terms of its own format, if that makes sense? There are several things wrong/weird with the UHD (just that bizarre 10-minute reel with blurry composite-style chroma would mark it out) but when it's left alone it looks luvverly, and it does so just enough times to outweigh the crappiness, whereas that old BD is just sharpened digital bleh from first frame to last. Damning with faint praise perhaps but I can't hate that UHD, I just can't.
Thanks given by:
Fat Phil (01-27-2022), HeavyHitter (01-27-2022), Indiana Jones (01-28-2022), johnnyringo7 (01-27-2022), Tober27 (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 08:28 PM   #6931
Special Member

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
It's a better UHD in terms of that format than the BD was in terms of its own format, if that makes sense? There are several things wrong/weird with the UHD (just that bizarre 10-minute reel with blurry composite-style chroma would mark it out) but when it's left alone it looks luvverly, and it does so just enough times to outweigh the crappiness, whereas that old BD is just sharpened digital bleh from first frame to last. Damning with faint praise perhaps but I can't hate that UHD, I just can't.
Agree, it's not perfect but I'm very happy with the UHD. How could someone say that they don't enjoy seeing it in the latest format?
Thanks given by:
BillieCassin (02-01-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 09:47 PM   #6932
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2006

Let me rephrase what I said a bit the original blu ray is maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10 the uhd is a 8 or a 9 and that’s sad I say this because this is a big part of pop culture if it wasn’t we would have no comics the back to the future the game and there wouldn’t be constant references in everything it’s even referencing in ready player one. That’s why when it comes to the original karate kid uhd it was a 9 that’s pretty close to a 10 unlike bttf 1 and 2 which they deserved that kind of love too in my eyes. the box set of the karate kid the first film re released on the set took the original uhd and turned it into a perfect 10. That’s what I wish universal would have done and given the bttf trilogy the same kinda love Sony gave the karate kid trilogy because the grain doesn’t look even remotely like it’s been removed on the karate kid trilogy box set and that’s for all three movies. It’s just sad to see what could have been that’s all and it’s mystifying to me considering the three karate kid movie is considered the second worst karate kid movie the worst is the next karate kid but It shows Sony cares more about the ips they own.

Last edited by batman2000; 01-27-2022 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:06 AM   #6933
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2013
Perth, Australia

When you've got Bob Gale overseeing his cash cow I don't think you can reasonably expect a 10 out of 10. That's just my speculation but his fingerprints have been all over the disappointment level of each format.

His take on home video is not that of even a middling level of knowledge on PQ or audio. And Zemeckis gave all supervising duties to him. Which is a shame.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:55 PM   #6934
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post
I apologize I'm sure this is somewhere in this thread but at what point in Back to the Future does the picture degrade? Obviously from the shots shown its near the end. But if somebody could just reiterate when it begins and when it ends. Thank you.
This is why Iím disappointed with this they improve everything but the detail the detail looks they same as the blu ray in good amount of the movie but color bright and dark highlights are greatly improved. look at the link comparing the Dcp to the uhd. https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=7098
Old 01-29-2022, 08:34 AM   #6935
Power Member

Aug 2008

A lot of people hoisting the Horrible DNR flag may just not realize that good half of the discs have some level of DNR applied to them. BTTF isn’t as bad as you can imagine upon hearing the D word. The only thing that really needs to be fixed is that 10 minutes chroma eff up. Other than that it’s a pretty good disc which you should enjoy, cause… why shouldn’t you? ��
Thanks given by:
johnnyringo7 (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 04:43 PM   #6936

Apr 2011

Good news! on the Xbox one X front the blu ray app updated and the dinner scene and where marty first meets doc shortly after no longer freeze!
I was playing some tetris effect and saw the blu ray app was updating and I immediately popped in Back to the Future and happy lunar new year it worked! Just want to share the good news and see if any other xbox owners can try this out. I still have my 2020 4k blu ray so it's nice to see if was software was probably the cause.

Nevermind the internet wasn't connected, strange that the movie freezes in those particular places but doesn't when it's not connected to the interwebs. Sorry thought it was fully "fixed"

Last edited by Tronwhoami; 01-29-2022 at 05:04 PM. Reason: freezing issues not fixed.
Thanks given by:
emailking (02-03-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 07:11 PM   #6937
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

Quote:
in which case they shouldn't really care grain or no grain so just give it grain so everyone is happy

and not THAT long ago, everyone was fine with grain, it was all anyone knew, and for all the hipster teal and other ugly 'artsy' grades they push, not sure why they had to give up the grain push that used ot be considered artsy and hip until not so long ago, if vinyl has come back, they could sure get people to appreciate grain and detail and not looking like a cheap, hyper compressed cable tv signal or streaming but then again they still seem to want to push streaming so probably they don't grain since it's harder to stream (although they could jsut do a grain pass right before making streaming master....) but then that would make physical yet even that much more superior to streaming and they don't seem to want to market that (and yet all but netflix are still net negative income from streaming while physical media and rental stores used to bring them incredible net positive income)
Old 01-29-2022, 07:12 PM   #6938
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

Quote:
not that bad on p1, it's p2 where the DNR looks a mess rather often
Old 02-01-2022, 03:50 PM   #6939
Expert Member

Mar 2017

Quote:

You know the more I think about it, the 4K enthusiasts (that actually know what they are looking at) must be so small in number that it is probably a miracle that these discs are being manufactured in the first place.

I have noticed a substantial drop in new releases with standard BD being the cutoff. Which is scary for those of us that really care about UHD.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:09 PM   #6940
Expert Member

Jul 2011

I am amazed people are still complaining about the UHD of P1.

Look at this compared to the Blu-ray, honestly the UHD may not be exactly like the DCP but it is 88 miles better than the Blu-ray.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x...0&l=0&i=9&go=1
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 4K Ultra HD > 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies