Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Beatles: Get Back (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
Night Gallery: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$79.99
13 hrs ago
Charmed: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$139.99
1 day ago
SeaQuest DSV: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Killing Eve: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Seventh and Final Season (Blu-ray)
$24.95
22 hrs ago
The Boys: Seasons 1 & 2 Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99

RoboCop: The Series (Blu-ray)
$36.99

George Carlin Commemorative Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.80

Yellowstone: The First Four Seasons (Blu-ray)
$74.96

The Umbrella Academy: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$27.99
21 hrs ago
Nana: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$57.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 01-29-2022, 08:52 AM   #421

Aug 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by unberechenbar View Post
What would be the issue with violence? It's not like there wasn't any fighting in the LOTR novels.
The “violence” people are concerned about is graphic, gory violence like we get in Game of Thrones. Seeing someone’s head be bashed in to the where the Face ID gone is gone,
Old 01-29-2022, 09:10 AM   #422
Blu-ray Champion

May 2021
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMan85 View Post
The “violence” people are concerned about is graphic, gory violence like we get in Game of Thrones. Seeing someone’s head be bashed in to the where the Face ID gone is gone,
Oh ok. In that case, I agree it would be quite jarring to see.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:42 PM   #423
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

I do worry about this new series but we all have to remain optimistic at this point. It is interesting how they are going after the GoT crowd and that 16+ rating will prevent the younger crowd from seeing it which will be tough. However it's not 18+ which is equivalent to TV-MA, so I feel like it won't be too violent and if they're trying to go for all that gratuitous nudity (HBO style), I don't see them being able to pull off much with the 16+ rating.

Still excited either way..even after Wheel of Time felt like a dud to me and I could not finish it. With a budget of 465m...Rings of Power has to to be incredible.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:59 PM   #424
Expert Member

Jul 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawasdee1983 View Post
Almost every new Fantasy show is anounced as maybe the new GoT, look at Wheel of Time.

But I think they all just hope it will be just as successfull as GoT.
Funny you should say that because I had this conversation in the WoT thread. It has more similarities and reminds me way more of LotR than anything GoT.

I think it will be. 175m streamed Prime last year alone. At least 75m will tune in to watch the first 3. How many remain after on a weekly basis, we'll have to see.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:15 AM   #425
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmarine View Post
I do worry about this new series but we all have to remain optimistic at this point. It is interesting how they are going after the GoT crowd and that 16+ rating will prevent the younger crowd from seeing it which will be tough. However it's not 18+ which is equivalent to TV-MA, so I feel like it won't be too violent and if they're trying to go for all that gratuitous nudity (HBO style), I don't see them being able to pull off much with the 16+ rating.

Still excited either way..even after Wheel of Time felt like a dud to me and I could not finish it. With a budget of 465m...Rings of Power has to to be incredible.
I hear ya and I’m remaining optimistic. Sort of. Maybe. I just get all cringey when I read about some of the pointless crap they just have to try and shove into the series. Ugh. We can’t just have nice things, lol. . LOTR never needed any of that over the top violence or almost x rated sex stuff in it. Zero value add. I hope the Tolkien people oversee this and make sure it’s stays true to the feel and style of the original works.

Wheel of Time? Garbage show. Complete waste of time. Watched 3-4 episodes and determined I would rather have a root canal with no numbing agents.
Thanks given by:
punisher (01-30-2022), sfmarine (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 07:02 PM   #426
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
LOTR never needed any of that over the top violence or almost x rated sex stuff in it. Zero value add.
I still feel like we're going to get something that feels grossly out of place. Could be a boob. Could be an f bomb. Either way, long time fans will be accused of gatekeeping and the show's fans will claim they're moving LOTR forward and bringing it into 2022.

See the local Star Trek threads to see how the debates play out.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:49 PM   #427
Blu-ray Champion

May 2021
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKurtovich View Post
I still feel like we're going to get something that feels grossly out of place. Could be a boob. Could be an f bomb. Either way, long time fans will be accused of gatekeeping and the show's fans will claim they're moving LOTR forward and bringing it into 2022.

See the local Star Trek threads to see how the debates play out.
That stuff is in Star Trek too?
Old 01-30-2022, 09:42 PM   #428
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2014
Denmark

Relax, we have absolutely no idea how the rumored violence and nudity will be depicted. Amazon didn't hire David DeCoteau as showrunner for this, you know, so perhaps you are getting all upset over nothing...
Old 02-03-2022, 02:05 PM   #429
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2018

Posters:

Last edited by Farerb; 02-03-2022 at 02:10 PM.
Thanks given by:
LeftHandedGuitarist (02-03-2022), Mikezilla3k (02-04-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 02:19 PM   #430
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2018

Apparently there more posters, but each and every one of them has the same concept of close up on hands holding something, very boring in my opinion.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:14 PM   #431
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2016
-
-
-
-
-
-

If you ask me, those posters are esthetically aligned with the Lotr films. And all the rings, looks promising imo
Old 02-03-2022, 07:23 PM   #432
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2014
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farerb View Post
Posters:
[Show spoiler]
That's a lot of rings.... could this character be... Celebrimbor?
Old 02-04-2022, 08:18 AM   #433

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanis View Post
those posters are esthetically aligned with the Lotr films
Not for me, the lightning and colors are more reminiscent of newer fantasy shows, like The Witcher for example.

LOTR style is more gritty.
Old 02-04-2022, 01:59 PM   #434
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Recent article about what is known so far: https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...mazon-details/

IMO - I have an issue with creating characters that are NOT in any book or part of the saga and they are adding at least 2-3 new ones. Like Tauriel in the Hobbit films. Stupid and pointless(I love Evangeline Lily too but this was a fail). Im also not thrilled about this "harfoot" thing as it feels forced. Hobbits were mentioned as being "ancient" by Tolkien at one point in text but they really arent a factor until the third age so this Hobbits(or derivatives of them) playing a major role is a tad suspect too.

Some of the ideas are promising and I will give it a chance. I have to being such a huge LOTR fan. But, for myself, Im going to have a "quick hook" as they say in baseball where if this gets too off track, gets too "game-of-thronesy", or just feels wrong: I'll bail on it. But, perhaps it will surprise and be really good. I still dont think LOTR "needs" a prequel and one can always read the books for more on earlier ages. I'll try it out though, come September this year. I'm Cautiously optimistic.

Last edited by s2mikey; 02-04-2022 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2022, 11:26 PM   #435
Blu-ray Champion

May 2021
USA

So based on the title of the show, is it possible that we could see the people who eventually became the Ringwraiths?
Old 02-06-2022, 12:13 AM   #436
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2013
Missouri

This better be the new game of thrones... since that void has not been filled yet.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:05 PM   #437
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by unberechenbar View Post
So based on the title of the show, is it possible that we could see the people who eventually became the Ringwraiths?
Quite possibly, yes. That'd be cool. I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PissedOffPeoN View Post
This better be the new game of thrones... since that void has not been filled yet.
No, it better not be. GOT ran its course and its over now. No need for this LOTR show to be anything but LOTR. The vast majority of fans want it to feel, look, sound, etc exactly like the all-world-awesome Jackson trilogy.

I dont see what GOT void there is? It ran what... 8 seasons? Thats good coverage. Can always read the books.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:16 PM   #438
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2013
Missouri

I meant like epicness and popularity, not same content. At its height it was the god tier show everyone wanted the most of every season. There is an anime called Kingdom that felt like game of thrones level battle in china which aired last year that filled that void.. LOTR could be it if it as good as the money spent on it will be. Hope it does not turn out to be like wheel of time, which was ok.
Thanks given by:
s2mikey (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 01:15 PM   #439
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PissedOffPeoN View Post
I meant like epicness and popularity, not same content. At its height it was the god tier show everyone wanted the most of every season. There is an anime called Kingdom that felt like game of thrones level battle in china which aired last year that filled that void.. LOTR could be it if it as good as the money spent on it will be. Hope it does not turn out to be like wheel of time, which was ok.
Got it - and Im with ya. . The hardest part with this is that the Jackson LOTR trilogy set the bar incredibly high so that puts pressure on the show to deliver. Thats OK - Id rather fans have standards and expectations versus just shlepping at the feeding trough type of thing.

After LOTR, I wasnt sure I wanted or felt it needed a prequel since it was already so epic and complete. But, I am now warming to the idea and am looking cautiously forward to this.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:18 PM   #440
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2013
Missouri

Judging from those posters we might see some nazghoul, before they get converted, which would be nice .
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows