Best TV Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
SeaQuest DSV: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
1 day ago
George Carlin Commemorative Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.80
6 hrs ago
The Six Million Dollar Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99
1 day ago
Nana: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$57.99
1 day ago
The Boys: Seasons 1 & 2 Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
 
Infinite 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
1 hr ago
The Office: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$83.74
 
Castlevania: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Downton Abbey: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$56.49
1 day ago
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.39
 
Vikings: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$91.79
 
Black Clover: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows > UK TV Shows

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2022, 10:45 AM   #9101
Dalekbuster523Bluray Dalekbuster523Bluray is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Dalekbuster523Bluray's Avatar
 
Aug 2014
12
4
79
64
6
3
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Yet the narrative was that ratings weren't important because the show's were hitting other metrics. See any parallels?

Crisis has generally caused more consumption. Yet some of their shows shrunk almost non-existent numbers. You don't think a network gets hurt by lack of viewers? The favourites are still hitting decent numbers.

Try telling a potential advertisers that more people will see a sign on a park bench than viewers will see their product on a TV show that's targeted at your biggest demographic.
Both are correct. The ratings don't matter because more people tend to watch on catch-up, streaming or physical media sales now. At the same time, you have to judge ratings success by the current television landscape, rather than by past standards.
 
Old 01-25-2022, 12:29 AM   #9102
BluBonnet BluBonnet is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
BluBonnet's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
1
Default

The last two episodes of Series 11, It Takes You Away and The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos, did not meaningfully advance the #Thasmin aspect of the series - though they were both a lot of fun!

The New Year's Day special, Resolution, featured the 13th Doctor in her first encounter with a Dalek. The story starts out with the fam traveling around in the TARDIS to see several New Year's celebrations around the universe...



There is a cute scene where Yaz shows her feelings and concern for the Doctor, not wanting her to go off on her own



Showrunner Chris Chibnall was understandably very content to see the Daleks appearing in the show once again, because:

 
Old 01-25-2022, 09:58 AM   #9103
Dalekbuster523Bluray Dalekbuster523Bluray is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Dalekbuster523Bluray's Avatar
 
Aug 2014
12
4
79
64
6
3
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBonnet View Post
The last two episodes of Series 11, It Takes You Away and The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos, did not meaningfully advance the #Thasmin aspect of the series - though they were both a lot of fun!

The New Year's Day special, Resolution, featured the 13th Doctor in her first encounter with a Dalek. The story starts out with the fam traveling around in the TARDIS to see several New Year's celebrations around the universe...



There is a cute scene where Yaz shows her feelings and concern for the Doctor, not wanting her to go off on her own



Showrunner Chris Chibnall was understandably very content to see the Daleks appearing in the show once again, because:

Resolution is such a great Dalek story. Chibnall really knows how to write for them.
 
Thanks given by:
BluBonnet (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 02:27 PM   #9104
BluBonnet BluBonnet is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
BluBonnet's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalekbuster523Bluray View Post
Resolutionis such a great Dalek story. Chibnall really knows how to write for them.
I know, he really knows! I'm very pleasantly surprised, revisiting these episodes for the first time since they came out, how incredibly well they hold up. And he clearly had so much fun writing them...



He also seems like a little kid giddy with excitement at the thought of bringing back the Daleks



Overall, I'm really very, very happy with all the great work he's done and the amazing and lovely performances by Jodie and the whole cast - the special guests, too.
 
Old 01-25-2022, 10:49 PM   #9105
Dalekbuster523Bluray Dalekbuster523Bluray is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Dalekbuster523Bluray's Avatar
 
Aug 2014
12
4
79
64
6
3
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBonnet View Post
I know, he really knows! I'm very pleasantly surprised, revisiting these episodes for the first time since they came out, how incredibly well they hold up. And he clearly had so much fun writing them...



He also seems like a little kid giddy with excitement at the thought of bringing back the Daleks



Overall, I'm really very, very happy with all the great work he's done and the amazing and lovely performances by Jodie and the whole cast - the special guests, too.
I'd be the same as him if I was in charge of the show. The Daleks are the best!
 
Old 01-25-2022, 10:51 PM   #9106
ben6543 ben6543 is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
ben6543's Avatar
 
Mar 2017
In The Pages of DC Comics
17
212
164
2
25
Default

My god would you two get a room already. This is supposed to be a Doctor Who Discussion thread not a circle jerk over Chibnall

I can't wait till Dunemoon Acela and ProfxTracy come back so we can have things go back to normal.
 
Thanks given by:
Dunemoon (02-15-2022), frankrizzo13 (01-26-2022), ProfXtacy (01-29-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 12:42 AM   #9107
Pondosinatra Pondosinatra is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Pondosinatra's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta
45
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben6543 View Post
My god would you two get a room already. This is supposed to be a Doctor Who Discussion thread not a circle jerk over Chibnall

I can't wait till Dunemoon Acela and ProfxTracy come back so we can have things go back to normal.
Are we still allowed to say Chinballs???
 
Old 01-26-2022, 01:35 AM   #9108
ben6543 ben6543 is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
ben6543's Avatar
 
Mar 2017
In The Pages of DC Comics
17
212
164
2
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Are we still allowed to say Chinballs???
I think so. haven't seen anyone get suspended for that.
 
Thanks given by:
Dunemoon (02-15-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 04:37 PM   #9109
MisterKorman MisterKorman is offline
Banned
 
Dec 2014
Default

On the two-year anniversary of Fugitive of the Judoon, at least all sects of the fandom can come together in the shared belief that Jo Martin has been criminally underused, and unless something changes in these last two episodes, the Fugitive Doctor is going to go down as the biggest missed opportunity of Chibnall's era (and I say that as a fan of the era).
 
Old 01-26-2022, 04:39 PM   #9110
BluBonnet BluBonnet is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
BluBonnet's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
1
Default

Was just watching Fugitive of Judoon... I would love to see more of Jo Martin.
 
Thanks given by:
MisterKorman (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 05:34 PM   #9111
HotRats HotRats is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
HotRats's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
Default

Rumours in the press say Whittaker may not be given a regeneration scene. Lowest viewing figures since 2005 suggest the BBC may want a clean reboot.


https://www.londoncomicconspring.com...die-whittaker/ £220? In five years she'll be lucky if she's not living Karen Gillan's great short film Conventional for real. Or you could meet Sylvester McCoy, Colin Baker, Bernard Cribbins and one of the world's greatest actors, Brian Cox, and still have change
 
Thanks given by:
frankrizzo13 (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 05:54 PM   #9112
BluBonnet BluBonnet is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
BluBonnet's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
1
Default

Looking back at Series 11, Jodie highlighted some of the things she likes about the character



It's one of those things I love about DW - the hero doesn't need big muscles or assault weapons. She relies primarily on her mind. She's smart and always finds a way to outthink her opponents.

Series 12 got off to a great start with the 2-part Spyfall, which was a bit of a spoof of 007 but also gave us the man who is my favourite Master of all time, seen here kicking the Timeless Child subplot into high gear


Another highlight of the season opener is that it marks the first time Yaz starts thinking along the lines of "what would the Doctor do?" - and also expresses some interest in learning more about Gallifrey



The next episode, Orphan 55, would offer one of the few times when Yaz sounded slightly alarmed at something the Doctor knew but didn't immediately mention



That brings us to Fugitive of Judoon, which gave the Doctor the chance to engage in some clever wordplay:


But more importantly, it also brought us Jo Martin as the fugitive Doctor

 
Old 01-26-2022, 07:48 PM   #9113
ben6543 ben6543 is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
ben6543's Avatar
 
Mar 2017
In The Pages of DC Comics
17
212
164
2
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRats View Post
Rumours in the press say Whittaker may not be given a regeneration scene. Lowest viewing figures since 2005 suggest the BBC may want a clean reboot.

That Rumor is BS Jodie filmed her regneration scene months ago

Quote:
Chris Chibnall has revealed that the last scene Jodie Whittaker shot in the Doctor Who centenary special was the Thirteenth Doctor's regeneration scene, marking her official exit from the show.

Showrunner Chibnall shared in his Production Notes column – published in Doctor Who Magazine – that the last scene Whittaker filmed as the iconic Time Lord was the character's regeneration from her Doctor to the new Fourteenth Doctor.
https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi...on-newsupdate/
 
Thanks given by:
Dalekbuster523Bluray (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 08:34 PM   #9114
HotRats HotRats is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
HotRats's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben6543 View Post
That Rumor is BS Jodie filmed her regneration scene months ago
Just because it's been filmed it doesn't guarantee it will be used. The RT article dates from last November, the rumours are two days old and carried by most of the UK press without a BBC denial
 
Old 01-26-2022, 11:29 PM   #9115
Dalekbuster523Bluray Dalekbuster523Bluray is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Dalekbuster523Bluray's Avatar
 
Aug 2014
12
4
79
64
6
3
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKorman View Post
On the two-year anniversary of Fugitive of the Judoon, at least all sects of the fandom can come together in the shared belief that Jo Martin has been criminally underused, and unless something changes in these last two episodes, the Fugitive Doctor is going to go down as the biggest missed opportunity of Chibnall's era (and I say that as a fan of the era).
Yeah, Jo Martin is amazing. I hope she gets some Big Finish sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRats View Post
Rumours in the press say Whittaker may not be given a regeneration scene. Lowest viewing figures since 2005 suggest the BBC may want a clean reboot.


https://www.londoncomicconspring.com...die-whittaker/ £220? In five years she'll be lucky if she's not living Karen Gillan's great short film Conventional for real. Or you could meet Sylvester McCoy, Colin Baker, Bernard Cribbins and one of the world's greatest actors, Brian Cox, and still have change
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRats View Post
Just because it's been filmed it doesn't guarantee it will be used. The RT article dates from last November, the rumours are two days old and carried by most of the UK press without a BBC denial
I'm sorry but you're talking nonsense. They're not going to film Jodie's half of a regeneration and immediately scrap it. It would be foolish. There are certain audience expectations that you can't tinker with - and yes, I know that Patrick Troughton wasn't seen morphing into Jon Pertwee, but that was a different set of circumstances (it was only the second time the Doctor had regenerated, so there was no set precedent).

And before you say Christopher Eccleston started without a regeneration in Rose, context is key. That episode came at a point where the show had been off for a great number of years, and audiences needed reintroducing to the format. We're now 17 years into the revival, and viewers expect to see the traditional regeneration sequence from one actor to another. If you did a Troughton-style final scene now, followed by an Eccleston show-up-without-the-morph, audiences would be left bitterly disappointed.

The BBC would also be idiots to look at the ratings and decide a 'clean reboot' is needed. You need to judge by the standards of today, not 2005.
 
Thanks given by:
BluBonnet (01-27-2022), MisterKorman (01-26-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 01:57 AM   #9116
BluBonnet BluBonnet is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
BluBonnet's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
1
Default

Awwwwww!

 
Old 01-27-2022, 04:24 PM   #9117
Pondosinatra Pondosinatra is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Pondosinatra's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta
45
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBonnet View Post
Awwwwww!

That's adorbs!
 
Thanks given by:
BluBonnet (01-27-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 10:22 AM   #9118
ProfXtacy ProfXtacy is offline
Banned
 
Aug 2021
Default

After 2 weeks of the Thasmin Menace we can restore balance to the forum.

I see Doctor Who came second in the One Show poll of favourite BBC TV shows. It might have come first if Chibnall hadn’t damaged the perception of the show so much.
 
Thanks given by:
frankrizzo13 (01-30-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 01:22 PM   #9119
BluBonnet BluBonnet is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
BluBonnet's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
1
Default

Doctor Who Director Reveals New Jodie Whittaker Regeneration Details (SPOILERS)
 
Old 01-29-2022, 02:59 PM   #9120
Pondosinatra Pondosinatra is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Pondosinatra's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta
45
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfXtacy View Post
After 2 weeks of the Thasmin Menace we can restore balance to the forum.

I see Doctor Who came second in the One Show poll of favourite BBC TV shows. It might have come first if Chibnall hadn’t damaged the perception of the show so much.
What was first?
 
Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows > UK TV Shows


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:17 AM.